• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ξ Barclays Premier League Season 2015-16 Ξ

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho: De Bruyne could not cope with competition

24 July 2015

882380header.jpg

Kevin De Bruyne is reportedly close to agreeing a move back to the Premier League with Manchester City, but his former manager Jose Mourinho says the Belgian struggles to deal with competition for his place in the team.

City are said to be close to tying up a British-record deal to sign De Bruyne from Wolfsburg, who he joined from Chelsea in January 2014.

The 24-year-old playmaker enjoyed a breakthrough campaign in the Bundesliga last term, and it is thought City are willing to surpass the £59.7million fee Manchester United paid for Angel Di Maria last year to bring him back to England after they also splashed out up to £49m on Raheem Sterling.

Mourinho claims that while he wanted to keep De Bruyne - who has since said he was treated poorly by the Portuguese - the deal to sell him for around £18m just 18 months ago was right for Chelsea.

"That is unfair because I wanted to keep him," said Mourinho when asked about De Bruyne's criticism of him.

"And he told me it was not in his personality to be competing for a position in the team. He needed a team where he knows he can play every game. He needs to know that he is important.

"He did not want a team where he thinks am I playing or not? He needs that trust, he needs that quality. He needs that security. So I was not happy when he left. So yes it’s not fair.

"He didn't tell me he couldn't handle the pressure. He told me he wanted to play every weekend. I told him this is Chelsea, you are very young, you have Eden Hazard, you have [Juan] Mata, you have Willian, you have [Andre] Schurrle, and I cannot promise you that.

"So yes, I accept that if this is his mentality and it’s his choice to go, it is better for Chelsea to make a good deal. Chelsea made a good deal and he was happy to go and I am happy because the kid is a good kid. And I am happy for him.

"Players have different circumstances. We sold him, made our money and it was fantastic because we bought him cheap and sold him for a fantastic price. And now Wolfsburg if they make a fantastic deal, that is good for them."

Alexis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wenger: Director overstated Arsenal´s transfer power

24 July 2015

882542header.jpg

Arsene Wenger says Arsenal director Lord Harris may have overstated the club's power in the transfer market.

Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech is the only arrival at the Emirates' Stadium during the current transfer window, but Lord Harris stated that the Londoners have enough money to shell out on any player apart from Barcelona star Lionel Messi and Real Madrid rival Cristiano Ronaldo.

Manager Wenger believes that is not necessarily the case, though, and - while he says money is available to spend for a marquee signing - he does not intend to go gung-ho in the market.

"He [Lord Harris] has gone a bit overboard because that is not true," he added. "We are in a situation where we are working hard where if an opportunity comes up we can do something but we are not in the need.

"We are in a strong position with a strong squad I am happy with.

"We are open-minded everywhere. We work very hard to find the players we can. We spent a lot of money in the last two seasons and bought Gabriel in the middle of the season to be ready for this season.

"We are not reluctant to spend the money. Now we have the money, if we can find the players we will spend the money."

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

West Brom end negotiations with prospective new owners

24 July 2015

882431header.jpg

West Brom chairman Jeremy Peace has announced the party previously interested in buying the Premier League club will not be investing.

Peace - whose company West Bromwich Albion Holdings owns the majority share in the club - granted the unnamed party exclusivity in negotiations to purchase shares at The Hawthorns.

However, those talks appear to have broken down, with Peace expressing his frustration at the lack of development as he looks to sell his interest in the club.

In a statement the chairman said: "I have today brought to a close the period of exclusivity announced on July 3 and suspended negotiations with the interested party involved over the sale of West Bromwich Albion Holdings Ltd.

"I entered into an exclusivity arrangement in good faith after agreeing terms for the sale but it is now clear to me that this potential purchaser is unable to fulfil the terms of that agreement at this time.

"The club's long-term stability and continued development is of paramount importance and I am not satisfied that the interests of West Bromwich Albion would have been best served by my continuing discussions at present.

"It is true that both before and since the exclusivity announcement was made, other parties have expressed strong interest in a purchase of the club and therefore that process remains ongoing."

Peace went on to reassure Albion fans the delay in any possible sale would not have an impact on Tony Pulis' preparations for the new campaign.

He added: "This is a period in which there is always an understandable impatience for new signings to strengthen our squad and nowhere is this pressure more keenly felt than at board level.

"We have been busy pursuing transfer targets with the determined intention of helping our head coach Tony Pulis assemble a squad which he can take into the new Premier League campaign with optimism."

Ospina

Alfrescian
Loyal

Danny Welbeck likely to miss start of Premier League season

Striker will not be fit in time for this weekend's Emirates Cup as concerns grow about length of time spent recovering from knee injury

danny-welbeck_3386554b.jpg

Sophomore slump: Danny Welbeck's second season syndrome will have to begin late owing to injury Photo: ACTION IMAGES

By Jeremy Wilson 2:26PM BST 24 Jul 2015

Danny Welbeck appears increasingly unlikely to start the season for Arsenal after Arsene Wenger revealed that he has not made his expected return to training and will not play in the Emirates Cup this weekend.

With Alexis Sanchez also certain to miss the start of the season after winning the Copa America with Chile, Wenger confirmed that the club are "working hard" to bring in at least one more new signing. Director Lord Harris has claimed that Wenger wants a "superstar" centre forward and that Arsenal would be ready to break the transfer record £42.5 million they paid for Mesut Ozil.

The situation with Welbeck appears increasingly worrying. He has not played since the end of April after bruising his knee but Wenger had always said it was only a short-term issue. Welbeck was then included in Roy Hodgson's England squad, only to withdraw.

He was not back in time for Arsenal's pre-season trip to Singapore and will now also miss the Emirates Cup. "He hasn't recovered and isn't in training yet," said Wenger.

It all leaves Olivier Giroud and Theo Walcott as the main striker options, although Chuba Akpom will also be hoping to again impress after scoring a hat-trick last week against the Singapore Select XI. Wenger is keen on Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema but the Spanish club would be reluctant sellers.

"We are working hard to do something if an opportunity comes up," said Wenger. "We have a strong squad. We built something special last year with a good team dynamic, confidence and style of play.

"We have plenty of goals and strikers in the squad. We want more goals from non strikers.

"Wojciech Szczesny and Mathieu Flamini have also been ruled out of the Emirates Cup due to injury, with Szczesny now due to join Roma on loan. "He (Szczesny) will have a future here because I rate him very highly," said Wenger. "He already has huge experience."

Schweinsteiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Aguero will miss start of Man City season - Pellegrini

1538222_heroa.jpg

By Alex Young6
Jul 25, 2015 01:10:00

The striker, along with Argentina team-mates Pablo Zabaleta, Martin Demichelis and Brazil's Fernandinho, will be allowed longer to prepare following the Copa America

Sergio Aguero and the rest of Manchester City's South American contingent will miss the start of the season, says Manuel Pellegrini.

Aguero, Pablo Zabaleta, Martin Demichelis and Fernandinho are yet to link up with the City squad after being afforded an extended holiday following their Copa America exploits with Argentina and Brazil.

Pellegrini wants to give his squad ample time to prepare ahead of the August 8 kick-off, with City travelling to West Brom before hosting Chelsea, and will not rush back latecomers.

"I think in football it's so important to work hard but also resting has the same importance," Pellegrini told reporters.

"You have so many games throughout the year that if you don’t give them 30 days after they’ve finished their internationals, it's very difficult for them to work hard.

"It's more difficult for the South American players because Pablo Zabaleta, Martin Demichelis, Sergio Aguero and Fernandinho finished later, the first days of July, so they won't have 30 days.

"I think when we return to Manchester they will start their pre-season. Maybe they will not be involved in the first game but I am sure they will work hard and will be involved as soon as they can."

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

'Man Utd need a superstar... but it won't be Ronaldo' - Van Gaal

1691742_heroa.jpg

By Harry Sherlock
Jul 26, 2015 23:00:00

The Real Madrid superstar has been heavily linked with a return to Old Trafford in recent weeks but the Dutchman says such a swoop is unlikely, while seeking a 'creative' player

Louis van Gaal says Manchester United need to sign a world-class "creative" player, but insists that Cristiano Ronaldo will not join the club this summer.

United have been heavily linked with a move for the Real Madrid superstar in recent weeks, with Van Gaal hinting at a “surprise signing” in attack.

United have embarked on a major summer recruitment drive, acquiring Morgan Schneiderlin, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Matteo Darmian and Memphis Depay, but Van Gaal is keen to add creativity to his squad.

Having spent in excess of £70 million already thus far, however, Van Gaal concedes that former club hero Ronaldo is out of his reach.

“We can use much more creativity,” he told reporters in the United States. “We have Wayne [Rooney], [Juan] Mata, [Memphis] Depay, [Ashley] Young, [Adnan] Januzaj, [James] Wilson, [Ander] Herrera. Young has had a fantastic season, but he is not a Neymar and we have to compete with that kind of class.

“When it is possible to buy, for a reasonable price, players from that level, we shall do that because they can contribute as they are better.

“Ronaldo? He may come, but it is not possible. Why not? Because you have the club [Real], Ronaldo and then you have Manchester United and how much Manchester United want to spend.”

The transfer window is set to shut in six weeks and Van Gaal maintains that the club must flex their considerable financial muscle if they are to mount a serious assault on the Premier League title in 2015-16.

Indeed, the Dutchman says that the club’s 1-0 defeat to Chelsea in April is serving as a motivation to recruit a player in the mould of Eden Hazard, who scored the winner at Stamford Bridge.

“Chelsea have Hazard,” Van Gaal added. “He can always make goals, he can always make an action and decide a goal. Chelsea also have Willian and Oscar. Manchester City have [Sergio] Aguero, it’s the same type. Barcelona has [Lionel] Messi, Neymar and [Luis] Suarez. We as Manchester United have to compete with these clubs, so we have to look also for that kind of players.

“You need creative players. You need that because you have to disorganise [teams that park] the bus and, next year, there might be more teams who are parking the bus, so we must look for more creativity.”

Van Gaal, though, is satisfied with his business thus far, and believes United are a better team now than they were when he took the reins at the club last season.

“With Morgan Schneiderlin, with Bastian Schweinsteiger, with Memphis Depay, with Matteo Darmian, we are better than last year. But we have to be much better and I say to you that means the creativity of my players in the front,” he said.

“At Chelsea, we didn’t score and they scored and that is the difference in the game. If we had won that game, the gap would have been five points and the pressure was high [on Chelsea].”

MesutOzil

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wenger: Reine-Adelaide will stay at Arsenal this season

1699862_heroa.jpg

By Jamie Dunn
Jul 26, 2015 19:29:00

The Gunners boss has ruled out a loan move for the teenager, who impressed in games against Lyon and Wolfsburg in the Emirates Cup over the weekend

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger says 17-year-old Jeff Reine-Adelaide will not be sent out on loan this season.

Adelaide caught the eye in the Emirates Cup this weekend, coming on as a sub against Lyon before impressing in an hour-long performance against Wolfsburg, setting up Theo Walcott for the only goal of the game.

Wenger has indicated the youngster will continue his development in north London during the 2015-16 campaign and could be a part of the first team set-up.

"He will stay at Arsenal this season," Wenger told reporters after the game. "He looks very promising but he needs to work with the first team now."

1699932.jpg

PROFILE: WHO IS JEFF REINE-ADELAIDE?

He added: "Reine-Adelaide looks very advanced physically for his age and I'm sure he has learned a lot from the Emirates Cup."

Prior to the game against Wolfsburg, Wenger identified Adelaide, who signed from Lens earlier in 2015, as a "special talent".

"Reine-Adelaide is something special you know," he said on Saturday. "He is a great talent and when he came on you could see that.

"[He is] 17 years old, let's not forget that. In fact I don't remember how I played at 17 but I didn't play like that!"

Abramovich

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho accuses Chelsea's rivals of 'buying' the Premier League title

2ACC28D700000578-0-image-a-46_1437923676090.jpg

By Chris Davie
Jul 26, 2015 15:03:00

Manchester United, City and Liverpool have led the way in this summer's spending and the Portuguese insists his side must keep pace "without the big investments"

Jose Mourinho has accused Chelsea's Premier League rivals of "buying" the title.

Manchester United have made significant strides to improve their squad ahead of the new season with the arrivals of Memphis Depay, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Morgan Schneiderlin and Matteo Darmian.

City have also been active with the signings of Raheem Sterling for £49 million, Fabian Delph in an £8m deal from Aston Villa, and Patrick Roberts - an £11m acquisition from Fulham.

Liverpool, meanwhile, took their summer spending to over £80m with the £32.5m deal for Christian Benteke, who was their seventh signing of the transfer window.

Following Roman Abramovich's takeover at Stamford Bridge in 2003, Chelsea had been accused of spending their way to success after winning the Premier League title two years later under Mourinho, but the Portuguese now insists other clubs are doing the same thing.

"In the beginning of Mr Abramovich coming to Chelsea, Chelsea was buying the title," said Mourinho.

"Now, they are buying the title. All of them, they are buying the title.

"It is up to us to be strong and to fight them and, obviously, to try and win it again, even without the big investments."

Filipe

Alfrescian
Loyal

Delph: Manchester City didn't buy me as a Pogba substitute

fabiandelph-cropped_k5eaawpz32fu12af7h619838x.jpg

By Jack Davies
Jul 26, 2015 13:24:00

The Juventus midfielder has been a long-term target for Manuel Pellegrini's side but the former Aston Villa captain says that his £8 million transfer is a separate issue

Fabian Delph has dismissed comparisons with Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba after securing a "dream" move to Manchester City.

Like many elite clubs in Europe, City maintained an interest in Pogba this summer but eventually bought the Aston Villa captain in his position instead, completing an £8 million deal earlier in July.

"I think I'm a different type of player to Pogba," Delph told The Mail on Sunday when asked if he was signed to fill that particular hole in the squad. "Whether City were linked with him or not and they're not getting him, I think that's irrelevant to me coming.

"I'm coming as a box-to-box midfield player with a lot of energy and I see myself as quite different to him."

Delph initially pulled out of a move to City before performing a sensational second U-turn to push through his switch to the Etihad Stadium, enraging some Villa fans in the process.

"I had great time at Villa and made great friends who I'll keep in touch with but I'm not really looking back," he said of his departure. "I'm not a player who dwells on things. I'm at Manchester City now and looking forward to challenging for titles.

"It's a dream to come to a club as big as City and play Champions League football. That was huge for me. I think for every player, growing up as a kid, you're used to watching it.

"Probably if I hadn't taken this opportunity now, it could have passed me by.

"It's just a great club. The opportunity to come and win trophies and play with the best players in the world, to see if I can fit in and make the step up, was too good to turn down."

Delph is preparing to fly home from City's pre-season tour after picking up a hamstring injury during his debut against Real Madrid in Melbourne on Friday.

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hazard: Defenders keep kicking me but I'll keep smiling

eden-hazard-chelsea_tr5pev4gaqfp1a0rtoq0rjldv1-740x431.jpg

By George Ankers
Jul 26, 2015 12:19:00

The Chelsea forward is often targeted by opponents for particularly rough treatment but he is happy to put in the work in training to be able to shrug them off

Chelsea forward Eden Hazard says that he is still happy to endure the kicks of Premier League opponents as he eyes a second consecutive league title.

The Belgian, named the PFA Player of the Year last season, has been working to bulk up in order to deal with the aggressive approach often used to try to nullify him, but would welcome extra protection from referees.

"Sometimes I am in pain after games," he told The Observer. "I have to take some anti-inflammatories or something like that.

"I like to have the ball at my feet and, when I have the ball at my feet, I get a lot of kicks... but this is football.

"If I don't work and do the training, the defenders will kill me. It's my job.

"If the referees can protect me, it would be good for me because they know now that I get a lot of kicks and I want to be protected by the referee. Whenever I feel pain, I try to keep a smile on my face. Always happy.

"Sometimes I get kicked, sometimes not. We have a lot of physios and they work very well because we play every three or four days. It's important. I am able to stay calm, though. That's just the way I am. I don't speak a lot to the players or the defenders. I just want to play, to dribble, to do some skills.

"I never reacted to tackles, even when I was younger. Maybe growing up playing with my brothers helped me. When I was younger, I kept the ball at my feet and my brother tried to catch the ball and, of course, I got a lot of kicks but it became a habit.

"The worst one last season was against Stoke, with Phil Bardsley. When I see the video... it's crazy. I just play. I always say after the game that, if I've had a lot of kicks, the game was good. I don't care about kicks – I just want to score."

Hazard's style of play is often compared to Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo and the Blues star is excited about pushing himself towards their level.

"If I want to reach this level, I have to score 40, 50 goals just for one season," he remarked. "I think last season I scored 19. Maybe it's good but maybe it's not enough."

Hazard continued on Chelsea's prospects this year: "Everything is possible. If we train hard, if we play like we did last season, we can be better. Of course, in the Champions League we have to do better to reach the final or the semi-final. It will be a good season."

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Falcao 'very grateful' for Mourinho faith after sealing Chelsea move

1566302_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
Jul 25, 2015 15:00:00

The Colombia international is aiming to win the Premier League title during his time at Stamford Bridge and is looking forward to linking up with Diego Costa

Radamel Falcao has admitted he is “very grateful” to Jose Mourinho for bringing him to Chelsea and is aiming to win the Premier League title during his loan spell at Stamford Bridge.

The Colombia international has moved to the Premier League champions following a disappointing season-long loan spell at Manchester United in which he scored just four goals in 29 appearances.

But Falcao has thanked Mourinho for his show of support and is keen to repay the faith shown in him by the Chelsea manager.

“He sent some messages to support me and he said that he believes in me and has faith in me, and for that reason I am very grateful to him and I want to give my 100 per cent for the team and for him,” the striker told Chelsea’s official website.

“I have challenged myself to play in the Premier League and I am enjoying living this experience with a lot of motivation, with a lot of concentration, because I want to triumph with Chelsea. I want to win the league and to be important in the team.”

Falcao is also relishing the prospect of linking back up with Diego Costa following their time together at Atletico Madrid.

“He is crazy! And happy. I know him from Atletico and we enjoyed very good times. We shared very good moments and he is a great guy,” said the Colombian.

“Among funny moments there, I remember he would throw water from the cold pool over the players - every time!

“We are used to playing together, and the 2012-13 year was very good for Atletico when we scored a lot of goals. We are different kinds of strikers and we complement each other.”

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho tells Ronaldo: Team honours come first

27 July 2015 23:49

mourinho_2646378b.jpg

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has questioned Cristiano Ronaldo's standing as the world's best player, while praising Stamford Bridge star Eden Hazard.

Ronaldo won the Ballon d'Or in January but ended the season trophyless from a team perspective as Real Madrid fell short on all fronts.

And Mourinho, who coached Ronaldo during his time at the Santiago Bernabeu, believes individual honours should come after success with club or country.

Asked if he believed Ronaldo should not be considered alongside Barcelona's Lionel Messi as one of the world's best two players, Mourinho said: "I think so. I don't like players or managers to win individual trophies without the team. Obviously depending on the season they have.

"They have to win some titles, no? Football without titles is nothing.

"Messi won the treble. He won three competitions last year, he reached the Copa America final [with Argentina]. He had a fantastic season for him and for his team.

"I am not saying he [Ronaldo] is not fantastic. I am just saying that, in my personal view, every football player in the world should understand that a team has to be in front."

Hazard's qualities have seen him become the most fouled player in the Premier League and Mourinho is worried the attacker could pick up a serious injury.

"Eden was very lucky not to break a leg last season," he added. "He's getting stronger and stronger, not just in his body but in his attitude. He's mentally tough. He's not the kind of boy who overreacts.

"After a bad tackle he never rolls and rolls like other players do.

"But the reality is that last season he was lucky - let's see what happens next season. He could have been injured many times. He suffered more than a couple of nasty tackles and could have been in trouble. I saw lots of players breaking legs and ankles with less than that.

"I would like more protection for him but it's beyond my control. I don't want to change his mentality or personality. I don't want him to start crying or overreacting. I want Eden to be what he is - absolutely fantastic."

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pellegrini: Jovetic had to go

27 July 2015 22:26

884283header.jpg

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini has been explaining his reasons for allowing Stevan Jovetic to leave for Inter, insisting the striker "had to go".

Montenegro international Jovetic is set to undergo a medical with Serie A outfit Inter on Tuesday, paving the way for a return to Italy two years after joining City in a big-money move from Fiorentina.

"Unfortunately, Stevan had to go," Pellegrini told City's official website. "He's a very good player - one of the best players I have seen - but for him he had too many injuries and that's why he couldn't play too many games in a row.

"I wish him the best for the future and I'm sure he'll be a very important player for Inter."

Jovetic has endured something of a frustrating time at City, failing to gain regular starts, and the recent arrival of Raheem Sterling has provided further competition for an attacking place at the Etihad Stadium.

Should he complete a move to Inter, Jovetic will look to kick-start his career under former City boss Roberto Mancini.

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Stoke sign free agent Afellay

27 July 2015 19:17

884178header.jpg

Stoke City have announced the signing of Netherlands international Ibrahim Afellay on a two-year contract.

The 29-year-old winger had been searching for a new club since his release by Barcelona at the end of last season.

"It's no secret that Ibrahim was wanted by a number of clubs and we are understandably delighted that he has chosen to join us," said Stoke chief executive Tony Scholes.

"He's clearly excited about the prospect of playing in the Premier League and the fact that he knows so many players who are already at the club will no doubt help him settle into his new surroundings."

Afellay, who has 50 international caps to his name, arrived at Camp Nou from PSV in 2011 but never managed to become a regular part of the first-team set-up.

In fact, Afellay's last start for Barca in any competition came back in 2012 and he has subsequently spent loan spells at both Schalke and Olympiacos.

Afellay becomes Stoke's eighth close-season signing following the acquisitions of Phillip Wollscheid, Jakob Haugaard, Joselu, Marco van Ginkel (loan), Glen Johnson, Shay Given and Moha.

The move sees Afellay link up with former Barca colleagues Moha, Marc Muniesa and Bojan Krkic.

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pulis anxious to make West Brom additions

27 July 2015 14:02

884020header.jpg

With the Premier League campaign two weeks away, Tony Pulis is desperate to bring new faces to West Brom ahead of the opening weekend.

Only James McClean has arrived at The Hawthorns during the close-season despite West Brom being heavily linked with moves for the likes of Rickie Lambert, Michail Antonio and Matt Phillips.

Abou Diaby could be signed in time for Albion's first match with Manchester City, but Pulis knows he needs more new faces to make sure his squad is competitive this season.

"It is a difficult transfer window, certainly an expensive transfer window and we'll see what happens," he told The Birmingham Mail.

"We need players. I think everybody knows that. Everybody is aware of the situation. It's not getting players in, it is getting the 'right' players in... that's the big thing.

"It is very, very important that you don't panic and you don't lose your focus on what you need and what you want.

"We have still got six weeks [of the transfer window remaining] and the club are doing their damnedest to try and get players.

"We are working hard and we need to bring players in. I think the dressing room is waiting for players to come in. It is not just the supporters.

"We need to improve all the way through the team. It's not just one area. We desperately need to improve at the top end, everybody understands that and can see that.

"But we need to improve all the way through the pitch."

MesutOzil

Alfrescian
Loyal

Watford complete Berghuis transfer

27 July 2015 15:53

884066header.jpg

Watford have completed the signing of AZ attacker Steven Berghuis for an undisclosed fee.

The 23-year-old arrives at Vicarage Road on a four-year contract and becomes the club's 11th signing ahead of the new season.

The Premier League new boys have already added the likes of Sebastian Prodl, Matej Vydra, Jose Holebas, Valon Behrami, Miguel Britos and Jose Manuel Jurado to their squad following their promotion from the Championship.

Berghuis, 23, scored 11 goals in 22 Eredivisie appearances last term and was part of the Netherlands squad for June fixtures against United States and Latvia.

Berghuis' father Frank, who played for PSV, VVV and Volendam during his playing days, won a single Netherlands cap in 1989.

Steven's brother Tristan plays for PEC Zwolle and has reportedly attracted the interest of Chelsea and Tottenham in the past.

Schweinsteiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Fernando injury free ahead of new campaign

27 July 2015 12:56

883991header.jpg

Manchester City midfielder Fernando hopes to have a greater impact in the coming campaign after returning to pre-season training injury free.

The Brazilian midfielder struggled to reach the heights expected of him at the Etihad Stadium last season after his arrival from Porto, despite making 25 league appearances.

With Fabian Delph arriving at City to provide further competition for places in Manuel Pellegrini's side, the pressure is on Fernando to justify his £12million price tag.

"It was a very difficult year but I'm very optimistic about the start of the new season and I want to get going as quickly as possible," he told the Manchester Evening News.

"For me the thing about last season was that I played a lot of the games with pain. That limited my capabilities. Now I feel 100 per cent fit and I'm just looking forward to getting going again.

“The problem I had last year was the groin. Every time I ran it was painful.

"When you get into a big team with such an opportunity you want to give your best. That’s what I tried to do last season.

"Obviously it didn't go very well for me because of the pain but I'm looking forward to giving my best again now."

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Depay hints at identity of ´surprise´ United striker

27 July 2015 11:27

883959header.png

Memphis Depay has posted a cryptic message on his Instagram account that may have revealed Romelu Lukaku as the "surprise" striker set to join Manchester United.

After United's pre-season win over America in the International Champions Cup, manager Louis van Gaal hinted he was still in the market for another forward but his identity remained a secret.

Cristiano Ronaldo, Edinson Cavani and Robert Lewandowski have all been touted as the man Van Gaal was looking at, however Depay's post could have let slip that Lukaku is United's target.

The Netherlands international posted a picture of himself and the Everton striker on Instagram on Monday, with the message: "Me and @romelulukakubolingoli10 in an conversation. See you soon B."

Lukaku embellished his reputation on Sunday with a hat-trick against Hearts, the Belgium striker securing a 3-1 win over the Scottish side.

Gomis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Terry: I could handle being dropped by Chelsea

john-terry-chelsea-premier-league-24052015_tj14c2mdnpsf1r4tthu8wsgy0.jpg

By George Ankers
Jul 27, 2015 08:30:00

The veteran Blues centre-back vows to stay a "model professional" if supplanted in Jose Mourinho's first-choice XI this season but might leave the Premier League next summer if so

Chelsea captain John Terry is prepared for the possibility of losing his place at Stamford Bridge this season.

The former England international turns 35 in December and, with the Blues set to vie for a second consecutive Premier League title this season, will face competition for a starting berth from Gary Cahill and Kurt Zouma, while the club are also chasing John Stones of Everton.

Taking the example of Petr Cech, who sat obligingly on the bench as Jose Mourinho's No.2 last season before being granted a move to Arsenal this summer, Terry is willing to work hard as a reserve if he is overtaken.

But after Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard left for Major League Soccer rather than sign for a team in direct opposition to the Reds, the Chelsea skipper says that he would not join another Premier League team if he were to move on next summer to finish his career with regular first-team football.

"Every summer I work more or less every day to give myself the best chance. If it comes to that point where I am left out of the side, I know it's not through any fault of not trying," Terry told reporters. "To look at myself in the mirror and my family, that is all I do in my career.

"I could handle being out of the team. No doubt, people like me and Steven want to play, of course. That is our natural instinct. When you play your whole career, it's hard [not to do so]. Petr Cech was a model professional last year and that is why he got the move he wanted, because of how well he reacted around the place.

"I have seen other players go the other way. I certainly would go down the Petr route and continue giving everything to the squad. If I then felt Chelsea were going to release me or thought I had nothing else to give, but I thought I could, then of course I would still want to continue to play but that would not be in the Premier League.

"I am not taking anything for granted. The manager has said that, if I can keep my form, I am in the side but, if I don't keep my form, he will have no qualms about taking me out and putting someone else in.

"We have an honest relationship. I don't doubt that he trusts me. I hopefully can repay that because he has been superb to me. I will give him everything and he has been a father figure in my career so I owe him an awful lot. I realise one day that my career will come to an end so I want to give everything these next few years."

Filipe

Alfrescian
Loyal

Injury rules Pienaar out of Everton season opener

stevenpienaar-cropped_u23i1g7ne4nk1cvorh9klmuai.jpg

By Harry West
Jul 27, 2015 19:26:00

The 33-year-old's injury woes look set to continue, with the Toffees midfielder ruled out of the start of the new campaign with a hamstring problem

Everton midfielder Steven Pienaar will miss the start of the Premier League due to a hamstring injury.

The South Africa international made just nine top-flight appearances in 2014-15 as a knee injury badly hampered his campaign, and sat out Sunday's game at Hearts after suffering an issue in training.

Roberto Martinez confirmed Pienaar would be unavailable for Everton's season opener against Watford on August 8 as he instead starts work on his rehabilitation.

"Obviously it was a really sad moment for all of us when Stevie picked up that injury in training," he told the club's official website.

"He's gone back now to be fully assessed by our medical team at Finch Farm and we'll get the results very soon.

"But it does seem it's a problem with his hamstring and clearly he's going to miss the start of the season, which is a real shame because Stevie worked with fantastic results and fantastic signs over the first three weeks or pre-season.

"We were very, very down about that situation and we hope to get Stevie back as soon as we can."