• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ξ Barclays Premier League Season 2015-16 Ξ

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Low: Schweinsteiger will shine at Manchester United

bastilow-cropped_15lu0cemfpphc17i5rousy8r9b.jpg

By Jack Davies
Jul 11, 2015 16:20:00

The Germany coach believes the "world-class" midfielder has what it takes to succeed in the Premier League after the Red Devils agreed a fee for his transfer with Bayern Munich

Germany coach Joachim Low has backed Bastian Schweinsteiger to shine at Manchester United following confirmation that a deal has been agreed between the Premier League giants and Bayern Munich for the transfer of the midfielder.

Both United and Bayern CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge announced on Saturday that the Germany captain is set to depart the club where he has spent his entire professional career.

And Low has little doubt Schweinsteiger will carry the form that has seen him win eight Bundesliga titles, one Champions League and a World Cup into his new challenge under former Bayern boss Louis van Gaal at Old Trafford.

"Basti is an absolute leader and a world-class player who can put his stamp on any team, including of course Manchester United," said Low.

"He knows Louis van Gaal, who wanted him. These are good conditions.

"I know that he still has big ambitions and goals. He will face the new challenge in England as we all know, with dedication and highly-motivated.

"I expect them to also provide him with a further boost and incentive in terms of the European Championship in France, in which we [Germany] will rely on him and he will lead the national team.

"For Bayern and the Bundesliga his departure is unquestionably a loss."

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cech reveals Arsenal shirt number for 2015-16 season

1590422_heroa.jpg

By Alex McMahon
Jul 11, 2015 23:30:00

The goalkeeper, who joined the Gunners from Chelsea in June, posted on Twitter on Saturday explaining his decision, based on his age and number of Premier League appearances

Petr Cech has announced that he will wear the No.33 shirt for Arsenal in the 2015-16 season.

The 33-year-old, who won four Premier League titles at Stamford Bridge, took to Twitter to make the announcement on Saturday evening.

Cech becomes the latest Arsenal player to wear the No.33 shirt in the Premier League era, with such luminaries as Gavin McGowan, Michael Black, Greg Lincoln, Tommy Black, Jermaine Brown, Alex Bailey, Graham Stack, Adam Birchall, Nicklas Bendtner and Matthew Connolly all wearing the number in previous years.

Starting new chapter at 33 years of age with 333 games in the premier league ... That's an easy choice

Ospina

Alfrescian
Loyal

Gerrard: I'm not as good looking or influential as Beckham

steven-gerrard-la-galaxy-07042015_la3npyzmue2n1r5u3qzk5bv3x.jpg

Jul 11, 2015 08:33:00

The midfielder says fans should not expect him to be as iconic as his former England team-mate, but feels his performances in the United States will speak for themselves

Steven Gerrard has warned LA Galaxy fans not to compare him to David Beckham, insisting that he will not match his former England team-mate in terms of looks or influence on MLS.

Beckham joined Galaxy from Real Madrid in 2007 and spent five years in Los Angeles, winning the Western Conference regular season and play-offs three times as well as two MLS Cups before leaving to end his career at Paris Saint-Germain.

The Manchester United icon was a fan favourite in MLS and paved the way for more European stars to cross the Atlantic and further enhance the reputation of the sport in the United States.

Gerrard is one of the latest European players to move to America, following Frank Lampard, who joined New York City FC from Chelsea via a loan at Manchester City.

However, the Liverpool legend insists fans must not expect him to be the same as Beckham, suggesting he will struggle to be as influential on the nation's game as his predecessor.

"I think the important thing for me and for people to understand is that I'm not David Beckham," Gerrard told ESPN. "I'm not as good looking as him and I don't have the influence that maybe David has, but I'd like to think I'm on the same level when it comes down to performing on the football pitch.

"I've been studying MLS since I had the idea I was going to come here. I watched the Galaxy's games and I've been following stuff on YouTube, the individual players, to see their movements."

64ECF613B60B8AD7D0C04F61EC63E68A.jpg

The 35-year-old ended a 28-year spell at Liverpool, the only other club he has played for, to join Galaxy and he admits it was a challenge to leave Anfield for Los Angeles.

"The easy thing for me would have been to sign a year extension and stay in my comfort zone at Liverpool and become a squad player and use my name to just filter into the background, or retire and call it a day," he added.

"But I like to challenge myself, and I think this is a fantastic opportunity and a big challenge for me at this age, and I can't wait to get stuck in."

Despite the massive change in scenery, though, he is confident he will settle into life at Galaxy.

"Without being big-headed, I feel I can contribute in many areas," he continued. "I like to be an all-round midfielder, I like to help the team defensively and I also like to help the team going forward.

"I'll work as hard as I can, I'll fight for the team with and without the ball and I'm looking to contribute in the final third.

"I'm coming into the champions, I'm coming into a fantastic team who are ready to win and if I can just add a little bit to that I'm sure the future can be successful."

Gerrard's wage is said to be higher than the majority of his team-mates', but he maintains that money was not a deciding factor for him.

"The only thing I can do is go out the pitch and walk the walk and prove to them in my performances that I'm not done, that I'm not retired," he said.

"Money's never been a motivation for me. I respect money. I'm secure, I've been secure for a very long time. I could have retired last year and sat on the beach for the rest of my life. That's not me. I'm a footballer, I'm a winner and I want to win for as long as I can."

Gomis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Depay: Don't compare me to Ronaldo but I will excite Manchester United fans

1633992.jpg

Jul 10, 2015 15:10:00

The Netherlands international was officially unveiled as the club's newest signing on Friday, and has rebuffed comparisons with the Real Madrid and Portugal superstar

By Kris Voakes at Old Trafford

New Manchester United signing Memphis Depay has rejected comparisons to Cristiano Ronaldo, but is planning to excite fans of the club.

United boss Louis van Gaal previously compared Depay to Lionel Messi due to his ability to score goals from the wing.

"He's a goalscoring winger and there aren't so many of them in the world," Van Gaal told MUTV in May. "[Lionel] Messi is one of those."

But Depay has acknowledged he still has plenty of work to do before he is considered among football's elite.

"I don't want to say I can be like somebody as that, but I think I can excite the fans," he said at his official unveiling.

However, Van Gaal believes Depay has the confidence to shine at Old Trafford.

"I think he's one of the few highly-talented boys of his age," Van Gaal said. "He's full of confidence, as you can hear, but he also knows there's a difference between the Premier League and the Dutch league.

"He's full of confidence, he'll say what he's thinking."

Depay was officially unveiled as a United player on Friday, having completed his £25 million move from PSV Eindhoven, and is set to join the club on their pre-season tour of the United States.

The Netherlands international scored 28 goals in 40 appearances in all competitions last season.

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

McAllister appointed Liverpool first-team coach

garymcallister-cropped_zre82ejm89fq18iyb3hs9rj6q.jpg

By Harry West
Jul 11, 2015 12:21:00

The former midfielder will return to the club where he spent two years, having helped the Reds win the treble of the FA Cup, League Cup and Uefa Cup in 2001

Gary McAllister has been appointed Liverpool first-team coach, the club have confirmed.

Goal reported on Wednesday that manager Brendan Rodgers had met with the Scot , who spent two years at the club as a player between 2000 and 2002, to discuss the possibility of a coaching role.

McAllister was a part of the side that won the treble in 2001, helping the club win the FA Cup, the League Cup and Uefa Cup, and also had a brief spell as caretaker boss of Aston Villa four years ago.

Speaking of his return to Anfield, McAllister told the club's official website: "I'm delighted. I'm really excited about the prospect of coming back. It's fantastic and I'm really looking forward to it.

"I feel as if I owe Liverpool, getting that opportunity at the last stage of my career, at 35 and getting that opportunity.

"This is similar, I feel the same as I did with that - that was a surprise phone call back then when I was given a chance to come and play at Liverpool as a 35-year-old.

"Right place at the right time, and I just hope it repeats itself. A lot of hard work and dedication... everything is there, Liverpool is a club where you can win things - that's a fact."

Rodgers added: "Gary has a special connection with this club and its supporters, and I'm delighted he is joining our team as first-team coach.

"When I met him I was struck by his passion, enthusiasm and knowledge for what we're looking to achieve here.

"He has experience coaching at the highest level and is someone who can connect with players and help them learn from his knowledge and understanding of representing this great club."

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hull City fail in latest bid to change name

assemallam-cropped_bdksirv21cbq17jrgvbg1h9o8.jpg

By Alex Fisher
Jul 11, 2015 18:13:00

The Football Association Council have rejected the latest request from Assem Allam to change the club's name to Hull Tigers, a move vehemently opposed by supporters

Hull City's owner Assem Allam has failed in his latest attempt to change the club's name to Hull Tigers after the Football Association (FA) rejected his request.

Allam has been trying to change the club's name for the past two years to incorporate 'Tigers' into Hull's official moniker, a move that has caused consternation among the club's support.

A first application in December 2013 was rejected five months later, but a second bid for the coming season was submitted after an independent tribunal found fault in that initial process.

However, the FA has once again rejected Allam's application, confirming their decision in a statement released on Saturday.

It read: "The FA Council has rejected Hull City’s application to change their playing name to Hull Tigers.

"The Council’s decision – carried by a 69.9 per cent vote of its members – came after a recommendation from The FA’s Membership Committee.

"The Council, which is made up of representatives from across football, fully considered the recommendation in reaching its decision."

Allam has previously said he will walk away from Hull if his plan was rejected, as well as claiming that he has turned down offers for the club.

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Henderson voted FIFA 16 cover star

Jul 10, 2015 15:00:00

1279682_heroa.jpg

The new Liverpool captain has beaten off competition from Sergio Aguero, Harry Kane and Thibaut Courtois to feature alongside Lionel Messi on the front of the game in the UK

Jordan Henderson will be on the cover of the UK version of Fifa 16 alongside Lionel Messi, EA Sports have announced.

Henderson, the first Liverpool player to feature on the front of the game, saw off competition from Sergio Aguero, Harry Kane and Thibaut Courtois as more than nine million fans around the world voted for the first time in franchise history for their favourite player to be on the cover.

The Reds midfielder, who was unveiled as the club's captain on Friday, has subsequently expressed his pride at winning the fans' vote.

"Being part of the first Fifa cover vote was an incredible honour and it’s an amazing feeling to know that the public voted for me to come out on top and to be on the cover of Fifa 16 alongside Messi,” he said.

“I’m extremely proud to become the first Liverpool player ever on the cover and the support I’ve had from fans around the world over the past few weeks, particularly Liverpool supporters, has been overwhelming.

"It’s great to realise every young footballer’s dream and I’m grateful to everyone who voted."

Fans will be able to buy Fifa 16 from September 25.

Henderson_voted_as_FIFA_16_cover_star.png

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Man United makes sense - Schweinsteiger was being left behind at Bayern Munich

schweinsteiger_g55stk4kc3pb1c4kq5r517fuy.jpg

Jul 12, 2015 08:52:00

The Germany star has been a fantastic servant to the Bavarians but, with injuries taking their toll and competition for places at an ultimate high, it's the right time to move on

By Stefan Bienkowski

Bayern Munich unveiled their new home kit for the 2015-16 season in front of 68,000 fans at a packed Allianz Arena on Saturday. The Bavarian heroes stood in all their usual glory. The stands were full, a pitch-side stage had been set and triumphant music blasted from the speakers. Yet one thing was missing.

Philipp Lahm was there. As was Robert Lewandowski. Pep Guardiola, Thomas Muller, Mario Gotze... all the big names were present as the players and coaching staff emerged from the tunnel, except one. Bastian Schweinsteiger; a first-team Bayern player for 13 years and essentially a part of the furniture in Munich. Until now.

Amongst the initial fanfare that greeted the news of the Germany international opting to sign for Manchester United, there were a great deal of Bayern fans who chose to instead react to the transfer with a simple, calm acceptance.

Schweinsteiger may be a smart signing for the Premier League giants but his time in Germany was almost certainly coming to an end and, for many around the Allianz Arena, the writing was already on the wall.

At 30-years-old, Schweinsteiger should be in the prime of his career and having only won the World Cup with Germany 12 months ago, there should be very little that can come between the player and his goals next season.

However, while the new Germany captain did indeed play an important role in his country's historic achievement in Brazil last summer, it was a gruelling task from which the central midfielder has never really recovered.

Soon after the summer tournament, Schweinsteiger picked up yet another injury relating to a knee problem that has dogged him for the past two seasons. Four months passed before he would be allowed back on a football pitch in mid-November but, by then, Bayern were already 18 games in to their new season and things had changed in Pep Guardiola's squad.

Perhaps most notably, Xabi Alonso had signed for the German champions over the summer months and had stepped in to Schweinsteiger's role in the heart of Guardiola's midfield without breaking a sweat.

1586962.jpg

1637232.jpg

1586822.jpg

From one game to the next, the former Liverpool and Real Madrid star dictated Bayern's tempo and midfield play. By the time that Schweinsteiger was back fighting fit, his new Spanish colleague had won the hearts of the coaching team and the Munich faithful.

Similarly, Guardiola's continued experimentation with Lahm as a central midfielder alongside David Alaba was making things hard for young hopefuls Sebastian Rode and Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, let alone an ageing star who hadn't completed over 30 league games in a single season for Bayern since 2011.

Add to that the talents of Thiago and Javi Martinez, who joined Schweinsteiger on the injury list for the first half of Bayern's season, and it's difficult to argue with the reasoning behind Saturday's major announcement. Guardiola simply had too many central midfielders and somebody had to go.

Although Schweinsteiger's contribution to Bayern's title-winning campaigns throughout the years have never been fully defined by what he has done on the pitch - he is, after all, a very strong personality and leader within any dressing room - it was his performances in games last season which ultimately sealed his departure.

Guardiola and fans alike will have gone into the close-season knowing that Bayern needed new solutions to the problems that dogged them in the Champions League and, at times, the Bundesliga too. And, understandably, at no point was the 30-year-old ever considered as a foundation upon which the club would build for the future.

Although such a move may come back to bite Guardiola - especially if Martinez and Thiago continue to struggle to find consistent good health - it is undoubtedly one that fans seem happy to comprehend in Germany. Bayern were slowly moving on under their Spanish coach and with every passing day it seemed as though Schweinsteiger was being left behind.

As he approaches the final furlong of a glittering career, Schweinsteiger will undoubtedly have more than one eye on Euro 2016 and regular football under Louis van Gaal will ensure he gets his international curtain call.

This is the right time for Schweinsteiger and Bayern to go their separate ways.

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

I expected Bayern fans to jeer Schweinsteiger move - Rummenigge

bastian-schweinsteiger-bundesliga-bayern-munich_1ggf0x0951lw214mbluedro3vz.jpg

Peter McVitie
Jul 12, 2015 11:00:15

The club CEO says he was prepared for the reaction from the club's fans when the midfielder was absent from the club's unveiling of their new kit

Bayern Munich chief executive Karl-Heinz Rummenigge admits he was not surprised to hear the club's fans jeer the transfer of Bastian Schweinsteiger to Manchester United.

The CEO announced that the midfielder was set to join Old Trafford club, meaning he was absent from the club's unveiling of their new kit for the coming season as it was modelled by their star players in a packed Allianz Arena.

The Bayern fans did not take the news well and voiced their anger as the new strips were unveiled on Saturday.

"I don't know if they were booing Bayern Munich or just the transfer itself," the 59-year-old admitted to Bild.

"But I expected this reaction, and was prepared for it. You have to explain something like this sensibly.

"An explanation was owed of the fans, and I think we did a good job, if you saw the reaction of the supporters afterwards."

The former Germany international stressed that it was the midfielder's choice to leave the club.

"We had a very serious and detailed discussion with Schweinsteiger and we have complied with his request."

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Liverpool, Manchester City agree on record transfer fee for Raheem Sterling

12 July 2015

876539header.jpg

Manchester City appears to be on the verge of completing a deal for Raheem Sterling after they agreed to a record-breaking $76 million transfer fee for the winger with Liverpool, according to multiple media sources.

The England international is expected to complete his move to the Etihad Stadium next week, subject to a medical and agreeing personal terms.

Having initially been included in Liverpool's squad for the club's pre-season tour of Asia and Australia, Sterling was later withdrawn from manager Brendan Rodgers' party, as the two clubs continued to negotiate over the weekend.

City has already seen two bids turned down, but apparenlty its third offer of £49 million has been accepted.

As yet, neither club has confirmed the deal, with City maintaining its stance of refusing to comment publicly on transfer speculation when contacted by Perform.

If the move does go through, it would bring to an end one of the Premier League's most drawn-out contract sagas.

Sterling's deal at Anfield is set to expire in 2017, and the 20-year-old has refused to sign a new one, despite what Rodgers described as an "incredible" offer, believed to be in the region of $156,000 per week.

Sterling, who arrived at Liverpool from QPR in 2010 and has won 16 England caps, missed a number of the club's training sessions last week, officially due to illness.

Filipe

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bolt welcomes Schweinsteiger to United

12 July 2015

876409header.jpg

Sprint star Usain Bolt has taken to Instagram to welcome Bastian Schweinsteiger to Manchester United, ahead of the completion of the midfielder's move from Bayern Munich.

The Germany captain is on the verge of rubber-stamping his switch to Old Trafford, with both clubs having announced on Saturday that a deal had been agreed.

And Bolt - a United fan - posted a picture of Schweinsteiger performing an action similar to his own trademark pose.

"I want to take this time to welcome @bastianschweinsteiger to @manchesterunited," read the caption.

"I [am] sure u will help us to be victorious this season.#ForeverFaster #seriousface"

Ospina

Alfrescian
Loyal

SFA hopes to bring Ferguson on board

12 July 2015

876376header.jpg

Alex Ferguson is set to be offered a position at the Scottish Football Association (SFA) after president Alan McRae said the former Manchester United boss had "so much to offer".

Ferguson, now 73, briefly managed the national side in the mid-1980s, before going on to huge success at Old Trafford.

Although it seems any role at the SFA would not be directly involved with the playing side, McRae believes Ferguson's presence within the organisation could only have a positive effect.

"We would like to get him involved with the SFA in some shape or form to help Scottish football," he was quoted as saying in the Herald Scotland.

"Being an administrator is a different thing to what Alex has done in his past as a manager and a coach. He might do ambassadorial stuff, but I would like to think we could maybe get him involved a bit more than that. I don't know.

"He's still a man that's in demand all over the world, but we've spoken about having him and others involved in the Scottish FA to give it a wee bit more of a wow factor.

"Alex is still interested in Scottish football. Believe me, he knows as much about our game as most people and he's been away from it for a long time.

"I'd like to think we can get him and other people involved. I'll try it because Alex has so much to offer."

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wenger: Man United have signed two top-class players in Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin

bastian-schweinsteiger-bundesliga-bayern-munich_1ggf0x0951lw214mbluedro3vz.jpg

By Chris Davie
Jul 14, 2015 01:15:00

The Arsenal manager says Louis van Gaal has made some "interesting signings" and believes United have rebuilt their midfield with their latest additions

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger believes Manchester United have signed “two top-class players” in Bastian Schweinsteiger and Morgan Schneiderlin.

After guiding United to a fourth-placed finish last season, Louis van Gaal has moved quickly to bolster his side ahead the new campaign with the arrivals of the two midfielders, as well as Memphis Depay from PSV and Matteo Darmian from Torino.

“We knew they wouldn’t be happy with finishing outside the top three and that they would respond,” said Wenger.

“They have made some interesting signings. They came out of the season thinking they have to rebuild their midfield, and they did it by buying two important players - Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin. They are two top-class players.

“One who is now coming up to the top level in Schneiderlin, and one who has done it all. It will be interesting to see how they mix with the other players."

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Schweinsteiger: Injury problems won't affect my Man United career

bastianschweinsteiger-cropped_8rr1knlifjfz1vq3whdq1j0mf.jpg

By Sacha Pisani
Jul 14, 2015 01:09:00

The 30-year-old started only 15 games in the Bundesliga last season but insists he is "feeling great" following his arrival at Old Trafford

Bastian Schweinsteiger insists he is over his injury problems and believes Manchester United are capable of winning titles next season.

Schweinsteiger completed his move to United on Monday and signed a three-year contract following his arrival Bayern Munich.

The 30-year-old was limited to just 15 Bundesliga starts last season after helping Germany win the World Cup last summer, but he told MUTV: "Everything is fine and I'm looking forward to giving my best for Manchester United and I'm really happy to be here.

"Of course, I had a tough World Cup so after that I was injured until I think end of October.

"But then I had great weeks and months with Bayern, I was not injured and I am feeling great now."

The midfielder added: "I'm here to win titles and that's what United is used to, too. I'm looking forward to playing in the jersey.

"I know Louis van Gaal, so coming here was a little bit easier, but it's not about him, it's more about the club, such a big club with tradition and, with this quality in the team, we can win titles next season.

"I'm looking forward to that moment in the jersey and to play for the team and the great supporters."

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chelsea reveal Falcao's shirt number

radamel-falcao-columbia-160615_1uqn1jomigc2gzhqst0tqiklb.jpg

By Chris Davie
Jul 13, 2015 21:05:00

The striker, who scored only four times during his season-long loan at Manchester United last term, will wear the number vacated by Fernando Torres

Chelsea have confirmed that Radamel Falcao will wear the No.9 shirt for the new season.

The Colombia international completed his loan move to Stamford Bridge earlier in July, but will join up with his new team-mates during the club’s pre-season tour of the United States later this month, after being given an extended holiday due to his participation at the Copa America.

Chelsea’s No.9 shirt was last worn by Fernando Torres before the Spaniard’s departure to AC Milan last August.

The Premier League champions have also confirmed that new signing Asmir Begovic will take Petr Cech’s No.1 shirt following the 33-year-old’s move to Arsenal.

Thibaut Courtois will keep his No.13 jersey.

Jose Mourinho’s side will face New York Red Bulls, Paris Saint-Germain and Barcelona during their pre-season tour of the United States, while they begin the new Premier League campaign against Swansea City at Stamford Bridge on August 8.

Alexis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Arsenal reveal new away kit for 2015-16

1652612_heroa.jpg

Jul 14, 2015 22:00:00

The likes of Santi Cazorla, Mesut Ozil and Petr Cech were on hand to reveal the Gunners' new second strip at an event in Singapore ahead of the start of the Asia Trophy

By Greg Stobart

Arsenal revealed their new PUMA away kit for the 2015-16 season at an event in Singapore on Tuesday.

The Gunners are in Singapore for the Asia Trophy and kicked off their pre-season tour by revealing their second new strip, which they will wear against a Singapore Select XI on Wednesday.

New signing Petr Cech was at the event modelling the goalkeeper’s shirt while stars including Mesut Ozil, Jack Wilshere and Olivier Giroud showed off the new gold away shirt.

1652582.jpg

Cech said: “I think my reception at the club from the players and fans has been unbelievable. I hope everybody will be happy at the end of the season.”

Giroud is keen to get Arsenal’s preparations for the new season off to the best possible start by winning the Asia Trophy.

He said: “It’s amazing to see you supporters. I’m happy to be here with my team-mates and hopefully we will win this cup.”

Arsenal released their new home kit last month at a launch event hosted by club legend Thierry Henry in London.

The new Arsenal away kit is available to buy now at PUMA.com/Arsenal and ArsenalDirect.com.

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Alexis to miss Arsenal's Premier League start, confirms Wenger

alexis-sanchezs-first-year-at-arsenal_1eo373uuo9811i73xhnvz7c2j.jpg

By Chris Davie
Jul 14, 2015 21:19:00

The 26-year-old has been granted an extended holiday after Chile's victorious Copa America campaign and will not return to training until August 3

Arsene Wenger has confirmed Alexis Sanchez will miss the Community Shield and start of Arsenal’s Premier League campaign.

The Gunners’ league season begins at home to West Ham on August 9 - seven days after they face Chelsea in the Community Shield at Wembley.

Sanchez helped guide Chile to victory in the Copa America earlier this summer and his extended holiday means that he has not travelled with the rest of Arsenal’s squad for their pre-season tour of the Far East.

"He'll be back with us on August 3 and it takes about three weeks to get competitive," said Wenger.

"It could take him a little bit less time [to get match fit] but he'll miss our first game."

Danny Welbeck has also been ruled out the Barclays Asia Trophy which begins against a Singapore Select XI on Wednesday, but Wenger expects the striker to recover from his knee injury before the end of July.

"Danny's injury is a minor one but it look much longer to settle than we expected. But he will be part of the Emirates Cup pre-season tournament,” the Arsenal manager added.

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Duff returns home, will donate salary to charity

14 July 2015

877701header.jpg

Former Republic of Ireland international Damien Duff plans to donate his wages to charity, according to reports, after signing a contract with Shamrock Rovers.

The 36-year-old winger has agreed to an 18-month deal with the League of Ireland club, which will see him play senior football in his homeland for the first time in his career.

But in a twist, it is believed Duff will not pocket a cent of his salary, with Heart Children Ireland - a charity he is an ambassador for - expected to receive the Dublin-born veteran's pay cheques as donations.

Speaking at his unveiling on Tuesday, Duff claimed he was just as excited about signing for Shamrock Rovers as he was when he joined the likes of Newcastle United and Chelsea earlier in his career.

"It's great to have it all finalised and now I'm just really looking forward to getting back on the pitch," he said in a statement on Shamrock Rovers' website.

"I am still out with a bit of an injury, but I should be ready to get back training fully before the end of the month. After that I will be very keen to get back playing regularly.

"I have always said that I wanted to come back and play in Ireland and I am very grateful to Pat and the club for giving me the chance to do that. Not only do I get the chance to come back and play, but I get to do it at the biggest club in the country."

Duff spent last season in Australia's A-League with Melbourne City but after a bright start, the 100-cap former Ireland attacker was struck down by a lower leg injury that affected both his calf and ankle.

He finished the 2014-15 campaign with 15 appearances, one goal and three assists.

Filipe

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sherwood confident over Benteke stay

14 July 2015

877611header.jpg

Aston Villa manager Tim Sherwood does not expect Liverpool’s reported interest in Christian Benteke to prise the Belgium striker away from Villa Park.

The completion of Raheem Sterling's reported £49m switch from Liverpool to Manchester City on Tuesday has further stoked speculation that Brendan Rodgers will look to Benteke to bolster his Anfield forward line.

But Sherwood believes Liverpool already have the players to cope, making a move to match Benteke's release clause unlikely in his eyes.

"I think he stays," Sherwood told Sky Sports News HQ. "I think Liverpool – I looked the other day – have six or seven strikers at the club.

"Now I'm not sure how many they actually need. We know Christian is a very good player and we want to keep hold of him.

"If someone matches that buy-out clause there is nothing we can do about it but until that happens he is an Aston Villa player and we are all very pleased about that."

Benteke scored 13 goals in 29 Premier League appearances in 2014-15, with his end-of-season form a vital ingredient in Villa steering clear of relegation.

MesutOzil

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wenger dismisses Ozil exit rumours

14 July 2015

877572header.jpg

Arsene Wenger has moved to dismiss talk that Arsenal playmaker Mesut Ozil could be in line to join Juventus.

Ozil moved to the Emirates Stadium from Real Madrid two years ago and has made 48 Premier League appearances in that time.

After a promising start to his Arsenal career, Ozil's form last season faded somewhat, but Wenger has rubbished rumours the Germany international is set for a switch to Serie A champions Juve.

"I never spoke to him on the football front but the suggestions are created always by people who want to create news but there's nothing concrete in that," said the Arsenal boss.

"He's an important player for our team and he's a player we count on to continue our development and success."

Arsenal have already brought in goalkeeper Petr Cech from Chelsea and Wenger is not ruling out more arrivals as the club looks to secure a first Premier League title since 2004.

"I don't close the door if we find any player who can strengthen the squad," he said.

"We have strengthened already, and I believe part of the success of the team is the level of cohesion and we have that and I think at the moment what is important for our squad including myself, is to see how we can move forward again.

"We feel at the end of the season last year we moved forward. I know it will not be enough.

"This pre-season we have to move forward again together and that is more important than finding the miraculous player who wins everything. I believe we have the quality and it's about how we can be stronger together."