• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Goh Chok Tong FaceBook only 400 likes dare to claim news breaker

†††††

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.facebook.com/MParader

Older hands turn to the new media
By Tessa Wong

IN JUST two weeks, Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong has gone from Facebook newcomer to Facebook news breaker.

His status updates about changes to the People's Action Party (PAP) line-up in Marine Parade GRC last Friday and Sunday made headlines in print and broadcast media.

As the polls draw ever closer, the wave of interest in new media has swept up older politicians like Mr Goh, 69, Deputy Prime Minister Wong Kan Seng, 64, and several in the opposition such as Mrs Lina Chiam, 62, and Mr Michael Fernandez, 77.

They, like younger politicians who embraced Facebook and Twitter earlier, are now turning to social media as a new way to connect with residents.

PAP activists in Mr Goh's Marine Parade branch taught him how to use Facebook a fortnight ago. Since then, he has been posting regularly using his iPad. Yesterday, he posted this teaser on the Marine Parade GRC's MParader Facebook page: 'The general is coming to Ubi this Sunday but without his uniform. Will observe how he interacts with GRLs (grassroots leaders) n man in the market (or street according to the English). Not revealing who but give u hint - he speaks some Bahasa Indonesia. From Sunday, we are ready for battle with a former general in the team!'

Mr Goh's post led to speculation that he was referring to Brigadier-General Tan Chuan Jin, who is expected to join Mr Goh's Marine Parade GRC team. BG Tan led Singapore's humanitarian effort in Meulaboh, Aceh, after the 2004 tsunami.

Of his adventures in social media, Mr Goh told The Straits Times: 'I found it refreshing. When I have an event or an interesting thought, I try to post about it concisely on MParader. My branch activists will also post comments, upload photos and videos of constituency events.'

Since late last year, DPM Wong also stepped up his updates on his Twitter account and on his Facebook profile.

Last Wednesday, he was spotted snapping pictures with his iPhone after he chaired a press conference to introduce three new PAP candidates.

He later posted the pictures on his Facebook profile and tweeted about the event.

Mr Wong said he took to these channels 'quite naturally'. 'I rate my ability (to use social media) as average but improving. I am most comfortable with Facebook - I get the updates on my iPhone, post mobile uploads or reply to messages when I can,' he said.

Some seniors in the opposition movement have also taken to new media.

Mrs Chiam, the Singapore People's Party's likely candidate in Potong Pasir, and Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) chairman Gandhi Ambalam, 67, have Facebook accounts, but their updates can be viewed only by their Facebook friends.

Potential SDP candidate and ex-detainee Michael Fernandez, 77, also has a blog. Both Mrs Chiam and Mr Ambalam declined to comment, while Mr Fernandez said he blogged only 'occasionally'.

SM Goh said that while useful, new media 'can never replace face-to-face meetings with voters and constituents'.

With walkabouts and house visits, 'you have time to ask and reply to questions, and most importantly, listen to their views and concerns'.

'You get a much better feel of people, their problems and hopes,' he said.

Facebook and Twitter have character limits for updates, he noted, adding: 'Many new media tools force you to reduce your message to soundbites and teasers. It's difficult to explain complex issues this way.'

But he said that new media could be an additional way for politicians to communicate with constituents, and also let residents learn more about a candidate and voice their concerns directly.

Mr Wong also pointed out: 'Not all residents are at home when I visit them in the evenings, and they may be tied up during the weekends when community events are held. Social media thus allows me to connect with them directly.'

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
U should actually be surprise the guy knows how to use a computer. Oh wait now I know why he needs Tin Pei Ling. To Facebook and twit for him

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing is more pathetic than old fogeys trying to keep up with the times. The more than try to show that they are connected and hip, the more off-putting it becomes. I am surprised Ms Tin did not brief them on this point?

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
pap should focus full power on their conventional media ( papers radio tv ), internet already lost to the oppositions camp long ago. :biggrin:

youallhumsup

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am surprised Ms Tin did not brief them on this point?

image.php

"As you can see i only have upper balls so i don't have the other balls to tell them"

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Senior Lee said he din care about Facebook, Twitter....so why arent the rest falling in line with the towkay?