• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Of great read and authors..

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just done with Frederick Forsyth's The Kill List.

Helluva good read, page turner. And very topical of mullahs, akin to IS beheading. Drone attack with human forays to defeat mullahs and Somalia pirates. But then, I'm into this genre.

the-kill-list-2.jpg

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1. His balls became empty. :p
2. Daniel Silva any relation to David? :biggrin:
1. Need prostrate surgery (in keeping with the times, very topical indeed) :p

2. Go find family tree. Probably, and proverbial discarded baby from longkau :p

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Unlikely Spy
by Daniel Silva

unlikely spy.jpg

In wartime," Winston Churchill wrote, "truth is so precious that she should always be attended by a bodyguard of lies." For Britain's counterintelligence operations, this meant finding the unlikeliest agent imaginable-a history professor named Alfred Vicary, handpicked by Churchill himself to expose a highly dangerous, but unknown, traitor. The Nazis, however, have also chosen an unlikely agent: Catherine Blake, a beautiful widow of a war hero, a hospital volunteer-and a Nazi spy under direct orders from Hitler to uncover the Allied plans for D-Day.

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How to make Bacon from books :biggrin:
Too lazy to read so no choice but to be cunning, to seem to know more than I do, and choosy in the ones that I do read ... in other words it's a kind of utilitarian love ... no idle poetry for me :rolleyes:

STUDIES serve for delight, for ornament, and for ability. Their chief use for delight, is in privateness and retiring; for ornament, is in discourse; and for ability, is in the judgment, and disposition of business. For expert men can execute, and perhaps judge of particulars, one by one; but the general counsels, and the plots and marshalling of affairs, come best, from those that are learned. To spend too much time in studies is sloth; to use them too much for ornament, is affectation; to make judgment wholly by their rules, is the humor of a scholar. They perfect nature, and are perfected by experience: for natural abilities are like natural plants, that need proyning, by study; and studies themselves, do give forth directions too much at large, except they be bounded in by experience. Crafty men contemn studies, simple men admire them, and wise men use them; for they teach not their own use; but that is a wisdom without them, and above them, won by observation. Read not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take for granted; nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider. Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested; that is, some books are to be read only in parts; others to be read, but not curiously; and some few to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention. Some books also may be read by deputy, and extracts made of them by others; but that would be only in the less important arguments, and the meaner sort of books, else distilled books are like common distilled waters, flashy things. Reading maketh a full man; conference a ready man; and writing an exact man. And therefore, if a man write little, he had need have a great memory; if he confer little, he had need have a present wit: and if he read little, he had need have much cunning, to seem to know, that he doth not. Histories make men wise; poets witty; the mathematics subtile; natural philosophy deep; moral grave; logic and rhetoric able to contend. Abeunt studia in mores. Nay, there is no stond or impediment in the wit, but may be wrought out by fit studies; like as diseases of the body, may have appropriate exercises. Bowling is good for the stone and reins; shooting for the lungs and breast; gentle walking for the stomach; riding for the head; and the like. So if a man’s wit be wandering, let him study the mathematics; for in demonstrations, if his wit be called away never so little, he must begin again. If his wit be not apt to distinguish or find differences, let him study the Schoolmen; for they are cymini sectores. If he be not apt to beat over matters, and to call up one thing to prove and illustrate another, let him study 197 the lawyers’ cases. So every defect of the mind, may have a special receipt.

Last edited:

Black Swan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just finished:

"The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying" by Marie Kondo

Easy to read, well written, logical arguments and persuasive. I am now convinced to throw out my junks!

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying" by Marie Kondo
Easy to read, well written, logical arguments and persuasive. I am now convinced to throw out my junks!
Good referral for my OC, hoarder of magazines and cook books over time:o. Minimalist look is what I really need, when putting up my feet :p

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This summer's blockbuster from Daniel Silva, English Spy. Will get my hands on e-book :p

e spy.JPG

Overview
THE TARGET IS ROYAL
THE GAME IS REVENGE

Gabriel Allon returns in this summer’s hottest thriller, from #1 New York Times bestselling author Daniel Silva
She is an iconic member of the British Royal Family, beloved for her beauty and charitable works, resented by her former husband and his mother, the Queen of England. When a bomb explodes aboard her holiday yacht, British intelligence turns to one man to track down her killer: legendary spy and assassin Gabriel Allon.

Gabriel’s target is Eamon Quinn, a master bomb maker and mercenary of death who sells his services to the highest bidder.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Doing Frederick Forsyth's Deceiver (not new release). On things KGB. CIA, IRA. And the politicking in Whitehall, with the public school scholars holding high office ..intriguing:biggrin:

FF.jpg

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Now into this great espionage brit writer, Charles Cummings.
His SIS (UK's Secret Intelligence Service) knowledge is unsurpassed,
and he was even approached by MI6 to join their ranks.

Colin Firth has bought over his rights, with Universal Studios too

In 1995, Charles Cumming was approached for recruitment by the United Kingdom's Secret Intelligence Service(MI6) but did not go on to work for them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Cumming

http://www.charlescumming.co.uk/news

10ok2lf.jpg

168fzg8.jpg

msdrt2.jpg

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just done Jeffrey Archer's 3 series on William Warwick (it's not a detective story, but the making of a detective).
Very readable, as with this great story teller's style.

B1rGvuW1isS._SY300_.jpg

Pre-ordered Amazon Kindle #4 etd Oct 1

417e069IxGS._SY300_.jpg

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Latest summer do by my favourite author, Daniel Silva. Pre-ordered, coming in early July now.

413kP6KNZRS._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Jump starting thread on good reads and authors..

Anyone came across a good read lately? I read more for leisure, and gravitate towards thrillers, mysteries. You can even say it's pulp fiction:p

Latest was Jeffrey Archer's Prisoner of Birth, nice twists so typical of his. Also came across this good english translation of swedish bestseller by Stieg Larsson, Girl with Dragon Tattoo (mystery, with insights into scandinavian big business and landscape, lifestyles).

Frederick Forsythe (cold war genre, middle east), Stephen Leather, Allan Follsom and another favourite Daniel Silva (latest NY bestseller Moscow Rules) and Gerald Seymour (irish landscape). Daniel Silva's pieces are well researched, based on israeli hero (aftermath of munich olympics revenge killings) whose profession outside his secret life is an artist into recovery of great works of art in vatican etc.

Pathetic non Chinese talent like u only read white trash books.

Try Chinese books and you never go back...

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pathetic non Chinese talent like u only read white trash books.

Try Chinese books and you never go back...
Oy, what's your beef?

Neither did I cross your (silk road?) path, for you to dump your crap here.

And what make you assert I'm non-ethnically chinese?
Bugger off, and I feel sorry for your solo read of Mao's bible

download.jpg
9780802779236.jpg

communism-josef-stalin-mao-zedong-political-pictures-5066064896.jpg