• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Qualified lawyers told to become Para-Legals because they can't get a job

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
See, if sinkie lawyers dun take paralegal jobs, they will go to FTs again. Lawyers FT, paralegals also FT, even uber cabbies also FTs. What you gonna do? Dun be stubborn. Take lah. Accept your place in the world. And learn to kiss up to your betters. :cool:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's an open secret that most lawyers make good money. That's why I want at least one of my children to read law at Cambridge or Oxford. Haven't you read John Grisham's novels?

In sinkapore, you need to know how to suck up to the PAP, like you are , to get ahead. Everything else is a waste of time.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The focus seems to be annual intake of those admitted to the bar - training places and subsequent placement. I don't think they even considered the use of legal trained Singaporeans that can be placed outside in the commercial World.

I spoke to a friend for an examples of foreigners working in the legal field and he provided this link.
http://www.duanemorris.com/attorneys/babitaambekar.html#tab_Resume

Apparently this UK girl came to Singapore and works in the Singapore JV Office but not listed in the JV Local company website. She has no background in India and she took a module in NUS on Indian Business Law. Not admitted locally but her legal training is paying for her services in Singapore.

Sinkees are paying for the PAP's foreigners first policy.

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
In sinkapore, you need to know how to suck up to the PAP, like you are , to get ahead. Everything else is a waste of time.

Totally agree.

I should've licked Lee Con You's ass more than 40 years ago when I was in my early 20s. I would've become the next presidential nominee after Prataman. But then Lee Con You's ass smelled worse than shit and I couldn't bring myself to licking it.

Lee Hsien Loong's ass smelled worse than his father's. I didn't end up being an ass-licker to both. Instead I ended up here, living the American dream.

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Jura novit curia - the court knows the law - what fucking bullshit maxim is this - if true then there can be no appeals against judgments of inferior magistrates on points of law.

Made HKD 6K on only 2 contracts in a few minutes between 945 to 1000 this morning! Only ready with pivots and all at 945 lah so never gargar humtum at least 6. Becoming very sloppy. Then duly proceeded to bet the wrong way but with proper scaling in and kalang kabok get out of everything - break even at 11 plus o'clock. Still keep the first 6K :smile:

Enjoy free time for all afternoon. Study to become professional xxxxxr for fuck. Ooi I not law yah arh!

Nolo contendere - greedus isda bery good leh - those who end up being parashootist legalis are just plain lazy and stupid!

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
Screen-Shot-2015-03-10-at-2.37.10-pm.png

I guess he must be the riches and most successful member of the Bar to date. Not only locally, but internationally.

RandomNexus

Alfrescian
Loyal
bloodsuckers, sourge of the nation......... what else best describe lawyers???

Oh lawyers. Never have a good impression of them at least I recall from my experience - most of them are alike, always thinking of how to make money. They will never fail to remind you that their words have value and numerous hints of needing to be "reciprocated" in returns for money.

Lawyers belong to an age when certain knowledge of law is kept sacred with a group of people but the advent of internet has put all out in the open. Gone are the days you go to a lawyer to draft a letter only to have him pull a typical template for him to fill in the blanks and then charge you a few thousands. Mind you, he does look at who you are. If he can milk you, he will. He welcomes fighting a case for any big corporation and in his glee, he is thinking of how to rake up the bills by seeking more talking time with you and offering ideas. The more you want to talk, the happier he is.

There is no way to gauge how good a lawyer he is except by recommendations. It is all touch and go. If you belong to carte blanche type, all these do not apply and you go for a notably "reputable" lawyer then. There are not that many cases to grapple with. The rest just struggle along and try to squeeze their clients for business. Coz in the end win or lose, the lawyer makes.

Have you encountered brilliant lawyers? Not in my case. All give me the commonsense advice I already know. Hopefully I will not need any of them ever at all.

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh lawyers. Never have a good impression of them at least I recall from my experience - most of them are alike, always thinking of how to make money. They will never fail to remind you that their words have value and numerous hints of needing to be "reciprocated" in returns for money.

Lawyers belong to an age when certain knowledge of law is kept sacred with a group of people but the advent of internet has put all out in the open. Gone are the days you go to a lawyer to draft a letter only to have him pull a typical template for him to fill in the blanks and then charge you a few thousands. Mind you, he does look at who you are. If he can milk you, he will. He welcomes fighting a case for any big corporation and in his glee, he is thinking of how to rake up the bills by seeking more talking time with you and offering ideas. The more you want to talk, the happier he is.

There is no way to gauge how good a lawyer he is except by recommendations. It is all touch and go. If you belong to carte blanche type, all these do not apply and you go for a notably "reputable" lawyer then. There are not that many cases to grapple with. The rest just struggle along and try to squeeze their clients for business. Coz in the end win or lose, the lawyer makes.

Have you encountered brilliant lawyers? Not in my case. All give me the commonsense advice I already know. Hopefully I will not need any of them ever at all.

kshan-jpg_104918.jpg

Davinder-Singh.jpg

Examples of brilliant lawyers.

Pek Kim Lui

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's an open secret that most lawyers make good money. That's why I want at least one of my children to read law at Cambridge or Oxford. Haven't you read John Grisham's novels?

far too much money than deserved given their zika brain but helped by a system designed by lawyers like lky kwa geok choo, CJ, AG, Law Minister etc

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
See, if sinkie lawyers dun take paralegal jobs, they will go to FTs again. Lawyers FT, paralegals also FT, even uber cabbies also FTs. What you gonna do? Dun be stubborn. Take lah. Accept your place in the world. And learn to kiss up to your betters. :cool:

so FT can be ePrez too............... but must wear tudung

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if i was a shitskin lawyer,yabbabidybiddybiddydum,all day long i biddy biddy bum,if i was a shitskin lawyer.

i would take all your money and whisper into your ear i would work for you pro bono,its lawyer speak for not being able to deliver any results.
also because my ass just came out from mental hospital and im not credited.

then ill take all ur money and go on holiday while u sit in jail.

if i was shitskin lawyer,yabbba dibby dibby dum,all day long i use my forked tongue and twist and turn my logic,and pretend to be a chigger like jah jamban.

[video=youtube;RBHZFYpQ6nc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBHZFYpQ6nc[/video]

Alexlee01

Alfrescian
Loyal
My understanding is that foreign law firms operating in Singapore are allowed to take in staff ( I use the term staff as they not required to meet any local conditions and do not engage in local law practices) but they have been qualified for example in the UK and admitted to the Bar for England and Wales. MOM has given them EP and many have gone on to take PR and then Part A & B, plus 6 mths training all done with the JV local partner.

I am not referring to foreign lawyers who have been given limited registration for foreign lawyers. Recently they excluded 8 of the 19 UK universities from recognition if they enrol from 2016 as they expected oversupply but MOM has not plugged the UK, Australian, and other foreign lawyers who are in these law firms and these are young lawyers who do the grunt work and gain valuable experience. I understand that 50% of those admitted to the bar in 2015 came from UK/Aus and they are local. Some of them have been admitted to the English/ Wales Bar. Why can't the the foreign law firms operating in Singapore take them.

Point taken about shortage of training spaces. To me that should be a relatively an easy fix if the authorities mandate training by firms on a quota basis Its only fair as all of them benefitted from previous training.

Correct me if I got the first 2 paras wrong.

I am also thinking like that you are. All point are relevant according to me. Confused sometimes what we can do for that?