• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Kuala Lumpur to Singapore in 90 minutes by bullet-train

Picasso

Alfrescian
Loyal

http://www.scmp.com/news/asia/diplomacy/article/1991870/kuala-lumpur-singapore-90-minutes-bullet-train

22651934e37400bcb7b3516058557474667a3046.jpeg

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You will be surprised when time and speed comes into the equation. When the North South Highway was built, MAS domestic network collapsed overnight. Even MAS/SIA KL -Sing lucrative route got a direct hit. Look at the European cities, including London Tube where senior politicians and VIP use it because it is so much faster and convenient. London to Liverpool by Virgin fast trains is another example.

Airport clearence, boarding, taxiing, waiting at runway etc even for VIPs with security clearence takes about 90 mins, 45 mins on each site.

I bet you none of the top government officials will be travelling by train by then. Cui bono? :confused:

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
You will be surprised when time and speed comes into the equation. When the North South Highway was built, MAS domestic network collapsed overnight. Even MAS/SIA KL -Sing lucrative route got a direct hit. Look at the European cities, including London Tube where senior politicians and VIP use it because it is so much faster and convenient. London to Liverpool by Virgin fast trains is another example.

Airport clearence, boarding, taxiing, waiting at runway etc even for VIPs with security clearence takes about 90 mins, 45 mins on each site.

This is not the 1900s when it was fashionable to have VIPs travel with their entourage in a train cabin. There are a lot of options for budget travellers at the price point where the NS highway became the new option, just as budget airlines like AirAsia became the new normal. This high-speed rail is also competing in the same space and its limitations become clear. It is a political vanity project and freight is the longer term commercial consideration.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I tend to disagree. When they arguing about MRT in the 70s, one argument was also along the vanity line and that buses and a revamped completely integrated bus network was sufficient. That went to bed real quick when we began using the MRT. Nobody wants to spend 90 mins doing airport clearence even if budget airlines price it at $10 for return except for the really frugal and retirees who have time to spare. Time is money. Especially so for commercial travellers where the company pays.

When I am in Tokyo, it is taken for granted that it is the train for intercity in the main island even though flights are available. If it's not high speed it would be different.

I am certain that it will benefit passengers and very timely. It will also improve our status amongst investing MNCs to reach the hinterland faster for their staff for intraday meetings and business.

This is not the 1900s when it was fashionable to have VIPs travel with their entourage in a train cabin. There are a lot of options for budget travellers at the price point where the NS highway became the new option, just as budget airlines like AirAsia became the new normal. This high-speed rail is also competing in the same space and its limitations become clear. It is a political vanity project and freight is the longer term commercial consideration.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What I want to know is who will be looking after the trains & tracks?
With the train breakdowns & the SMRT cracks fiasco I doubt a GLC can do the job. Can the Malaysians do a better job?

Speed is useless if the reliability isn't there

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
i have a butt-hurt question.

Who is going to build the train?

No one in sinkieland and malaysia has any expert or qualified talent to build the train??? and need to ask some third world to build it for you?

if China is going to build it, then good luck to all passengers.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I tend to disagree. When they arguing about MRT in the 70s, one argument was also along the vanity line and that buses and a revamped completely integrated bus network was sufficient. That went to bed real quick when we began using the MRT. Nobody wants to spend 90 mins doing airport clearence even if budget airlines price it at $10 for return except for the really frugal and retirees who have time to spare. Time is money. Especially so for commercial travellers where the company pays.

When I am in Tokyo, it is taken for granted that it is the train for intercity in the main island even though flights are available. If it's not high speed it would be different.

I am certain that it will benefit passengers and very timely. It will also improve our status amongst investing MNCs to reach the hinterland faster for their staff for intraday meetings and business.

you like to pull history and use it as a bench mark on current situation.

just like you are irrelevant in most of the discussion here and try to be the spotlight.. is that too much work to put yourself into such a position?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
by 2026 most forummers will be dead, since the average age of a forummer in here is 69yrs old :biggrin:

A baby boomer would be in their 50's.

When 2026 comes around they will still be around to complain that they still can't get their CPF at 65.

trump

Alfrescian
Loyal
i have a butt-hurt question.

Who is going to build the train?

No one in sinkieland and malaysia has any expert or qualified talent to build the train??? and need to ask some third world to build it for you?

if China is going to build it, then good luck to all passengers.

tender awarded to Dong Zhang Xi Wang - Harakiri Seppuku

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What's wrong with that? They are cheaper, hence costs saving. Disaster and mishaps happened all the time! Wahahahaha

china can afford to kill scores of passengers, shut public discourse up, and move on at high speed. chop chop. if this happens to sinkie passengers on the sg-ml hsr, be prepared for months of kpkb and calls for coi, boi, roi, aoi, doi, to zoi. and then life moves on after 1 million rants and sinkies give pap the 69% mandate.....again. :biggrin:

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal

If you are travelling to KL city centre, flying only saves you an hour at most, sometimes less, compared to driving - if you leave early in the morning. The flight is 45 minutes. Travel to airport 30 mins, waiting to board 45 minutes, flight 45 minutes, disembark and customs 30 minutes, taxi to city 60 minutes. That's at least 3 1/2 hours. You can drive to KL in 4 hours. Of course coming back is another matter, Singapore immigration entering the island sucks, really. I'd rather take the coach. Spacious. smooth and lots of time to read , work , sleep.