• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Desperate elderly man set himself ablaze

Leepotism

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Elderly Singaporean cleaner burn himself to death due to unemployment

Photo from Facebook

A 70-year-old Singaporean elderly cleaner doused himself in petroleum and burn himself to death as he was not able to find employment after he was dismissed. The suicide happened at an open-air carpark along Geylang Lorong 19. 70-year-old Tan Wen De, known as “Ah Guu” in his previous kopitiam workplace, went to the carpark around 10pm on Tuesday (May 31).

According to the Civil Defence, Ah Guu stood next to a parked taxi and poured petroleum on himself before setting himself ablaze. The taxi vehicle exploded and according to witnesses, the flame was as high as 3 storeys. Ah Guu suffered more than 90% burn to his body and was declared dead yesterday morning at 4am.

Ah Guu was working as a coffeeshop cleaner in Geylang for more than 10 years, but he was recently dismissed by his employer. According to his friend, Ah Guu’s life was very hard because he earned barely a S$1,000 a month and was struggling with the cost of living. Ah Guu was not able to find employment for more than a week.

Before his suicide at the carpark, Ah Guu went to give thanks to his friends who were loaning him money. The employer claimed that he dismissed Ah Guu because of a quarrel with a customer and colleague that happened at the coffeeshop.

Elderly suicide is getting more common in Singapore with the CPF retirement system not paying adequate sums and the lack of Minimum Wage for low income workers. In 2014, the number of elderly suicides reached a historical high of 126. This is a 60% jump from only 79 in 2000. Compared to 2010, there were only 95 elderly suicides which confirmed the rising trend. There have also being a rise in suicides among the poor in Singapore due to the lack of welfare. Many poor in Singapore are left out of help because the Singapore government refuse to set a poverty line out of reputation.

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ah Guu can only count himself unlucky for being in the world's number one most expensive city in the universe. RIP. Hope he finds a cheaper, better place to live in the afterlife....

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
[video=youtube;Plww_7lg6UA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plww_7lg6UA[/video]

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
So now the Statistic Dept happily minus 1 unemployed digit from statistic. The figure looked better now and improved the % of employment for minister to report gleefully (more because of his improved bonus for meeting KPI via statistic).

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So now the Statistic Dept happily minus 1 unemployed digit from statistic. The figure looked better now and improved the % of employment for minister to report gleefully (more because of his improved bonus for meeting KPI via statistic).

1 less "bell to answer".....1 less PIONEER to support....save money on rebates etc.....CPF, MOM, MOH etc...must be laughing all the way to the bank...

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ah Guu can only count himself unlucky for being in the world's number one most expensive city in the universe. RIP. Hope he finds a cheaper, better place to live in the afterlife....

Ah Guu shld count hinself lucky that he died in a First World Country and not in a 3rd World like Mal, Viet, Indo or Thailad. RIP man.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
70 years old, still keen to work and cannot find unemployment. I wonder what the likes of Vivian Balakrishnan, Chan Chun Sing and even Kishore Mahbubani have to say. They have made extravagant claims about safety nets for the elderly, there are no beggars in Singapore etc.

When you see a whole bunch of retirees and elderly people participating in PA or Community Centre organised event and paid for by taxpayers I get the impression that these are the people that do not need help or any form of assistance. I see some of them drive off in cars after the session and all of them are full of live and zest. Should not the funds be diverted to people who are in actual need like this 70 year old who obviously does not want to be a burden to society.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Uniquely SG51! Not in JB BATAM BANGLADESH etc 3rd worlds.

No I haven't read of any news of people setting themselves ablaze in JB due to jobless. Only read of people being burnt by others and bodies dumped in cars and rubber plantation. Msia govt beat Spore govt again.

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
As usual,the 70% do not care as long as it does not affect them directly .Self-immolation is a form of bitter protest against injustices in society during the Vietnam war protest and Arab spring protest.RIP.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
As usual,the 70% do not care as long as it does not affect them directly .Self-immolation is a form of bitter protest against injustices in society during the Vietnam war protest and Arab spring protest.RIP.

PAP pay them money to keep quiet

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I suggest to all seniors and pioneer generation reading my post to do this. If you have been laid off, and are elderly and hence unemployable, go to your MP office and pour the petrol on him. Don't pour on yourself. This way, they will send you to Changi Prison or IMH and in either case, you will receive 3 square meals a day, free medical care and a roof over your head and a bed to sleep on. Therefore, you can still have a purpose in life. Not to self immolate yourself but to direct this at a PAP MP. If enough MPs get doused with petrol, they will get the message. And all of singapore will benefit. think about it.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suggest to all seniors and pioneer generation reading my post to do this. If you have been laid off, and are elderly and hence unemployable, go to your MP office and pour the petrol on him. Don't pour on yourself. This way, they will send you to Changi Prison or IMH and in either case, you will receive 3 square meals a day, free medical care and a roof over your head and a bed to sleep on. Therefore, you can still have a purpose in life. Not to self immolate yourself but to direct this at a PAP MP. If enough MPs get doused with petrol, they will get the message. And all of singapore will benefit. think about it.

What if you get hung?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Will he attain NIRVANA??

blueRad

Alfrescian
Loyal
Frankly speaking, 70 years is the age where all the horrible and crippling diseases starts creeping in. He is just sparing himself from the agony.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
70 years old, still keen to work and cannot find unemployment. I wonder what the likes of Vivian Balakrishnan, Chan Chun Sing and even Kishore Mahbubani have to say. They have made extravagant claims about safety nets for the elderly, there are no beggars in Singapore etc.

When you see a whole bunch of retirees and elderly people participating in PA or Community Centre organised event and paid for by taxpayers I get the impression that these are the people that do not need help or any form of assistance. I see some of them drive off in cars after the session and all of them are full of live and zest. Should not the funds be diverted to people who are in actual need like this 70 year old who obviously does not want to be a burden to society.

That dead loser wouldn't find himself in such a pickle if he had studied harder, found himself a better paying job and did some financial planning.