• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Bukit Batok by-election to be held on May 7

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
Economy is heading for recession, lots more PMET Sinkies are getting retrenched or huge pay cuts. Two of my wife's friends were retrenched this month by MNCs, both in their early 40s. One of them was ordered to remove her things and leave within 1 week, the other was told to leave within 2 weeks.

Good letter by Dr Chee, looks like Dr Chee / SDP is making retrenchment insurance an issue in the by-election. It's a great election issue to pursue as retrenchments are mounting.

Another great election issue to pursue is the very high living costs created by the very overpaid PAP bums, I think many BB residents are unhappy with the high living costs.

http://www.todayonline.com/voices/r...-idea-worth-pursuing-economy-undergoes-change

Retrenchment insurance idea worth pursuing as economy undergoes change

From Chee Soon Juan, Secretary-General, Singapore Democratic Party
Published: 4:06 AM, April 21, 2016

In “Retrenchment insurance idea populist, unsustainable” (April 19), the letter writer says that such a scheme would create a “dependency mindset” in our people. Yet, there is no evidence that such a statement is true.

He asserts that such a measure has brought about the downfall of many Western economies. Again, there is no factual basis for such a conclusion. Countries like Germany and those in Scandinavia continue to be productive economies despite having such schemes.

Retrenchment benefits are not limited to the West. Japan and South Korea have them. Taiwan and Hong Kong have variations of such a policy for workers. Have these Asian peoples developed a welfare mentality that has led to their economies’ destruction?

Closer to home, experts agree with the idea of Singapore adopting an unemployment or retrenchment insurance scheme.

In her paper Employment Insurance: A Safety Net for the Unemployed, Dr Yap Mui Teng of the Institute of Policy Studies “endorses the creation of a safety net for Singaporeans in an environment where job security is no longer a certainty”.

Nanyang Technological University Assistant Professor Giovanni Ko says there must be a safety net “to help catch these people who will probably lose their jobs” as our economy continues restructuring (“Economists call for unemployment benefits as safety net for innovators”; March 30).

Even People’s Action Party Member of Parliament Lim Biow Chuan echoes the Singapore Democratic Party’s call for retrenchment insurance for Singaporean workers (“Make retrenchment benefits compulsory: Lim Biow Chuan”; April 6, Channel NewsAsia).

Mr Lim said in the Budget debate: “It would make the transition less worrisome if they are able to rely on some short-term retrenchment payment to tide them over for a few months whilst they find another job or undergo retraining.”

As retrenchments pile up as the economy undergoes a downturn, the idea of a nationally mandated retrenchment insurance scheme becomes more urgent. The SDP will continue to push for such a policy.

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/chee-soon-juan-questions/2716912.html

Chee Soon Juan questions impact of having another PAP candidate in Parliament

Updated 21 Apr 2016 14:01

SINGAPORE: Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) secretary-general Chee Soon Juan has questioned the difference and impact that People's Action Party (PAP) candidate Murali Pillai would make in Parliament, with the PAP already holding 81 seats.

Dr Chee, who is the SDP's candidate for the upcoming Bukit Batok by-election, told reporters before his walkabout near Bukit Batok MRT station on Thursday (Apr 21) that if elected, he would "continue to press the Government and make sure it is more sensitised to the plight of Singaporeans".

VIDEO: [video]https://www.facebook.com/ChannelNewsAsia/videos/10153581994632934[/video]

The politician said he comes across retirees and people out of work during his rounds at coffee shops, and the smallest price hikes in staples such as eggs and coffee make a big difference to them. This is the group he wants to speak up for if elected, he said.

"As far as taking care of the housing estate, we will not take a back seat. With that assured, residents here can safely vote us into Parliament," he added.

On his strategy until residents go to the polls on May 7, Dr Chee said he will interact with voters and convince them to elect him.

"We've covered the entire estate - that's quantity. But that makes very little difference, as far as interacting with them, explaining to them why it's so important to get an opposition into Parliament."

Dr Chee said the party will hold a press conference on Friday to share details of his social programmes for the constituency.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Hahaha...truly an empty vessel only good at telling grandmother stories....
readers were expecting you to steal the thunder with such insider news but as usual u only know how to fart after official announcement...

Scroobal is one of the best social and political commentators around. I am truly grateful that he has chosen sammyboy as his soap box. I am honored to have him as a member here.

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.straitstimes.com/politic...o-outline-plans-at-press-conference-on-friday

Bukit Batok by-election: SDP to outline plans at press conference on Friday

Thursday, Apr 21, 2016

SINGAPORE - The Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) will be holding a press conference on Friday (April 22) to outline its plans for the Bukit Batok constituency.

Party chief Chee Soon Juan did not elaborate on what the plans entailed, but stressed that his party had in place the resources to take over the town council should he win the by-election on May 7.

He also reiterated his call for retrenchment insurance and said the cost of living was continuing to rise even as workers felt the heat from a slowing economy.

Dr Chee argued that he would be able to make a bigger impact in Parliament than his People's Action Party opponent Murali Pillai.

The ruling party already has more than 80 MPs and adding one more would not make a difference, Dr Chee said.

He was speaking to reporters at Bukit Batok MRT station on Thursday, where he and party activists greeted residents and distributed campaign fliers.

It was his first media interview since the May 7 by-election date was announced, but Dr Chee said the day was no different as he had been walking the ground for the past few weeks.

President Tony Tan Keng Yam issued the writ of election on Wednesday. Nomination Day will be April 27 followed by nine days of campaigning and the mandatory cooling-off day on May 6.

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bukit Batok SMC - 74% Chinese voters

graphic_24.jpg

kukubird59

Alfrescian
Loyal
Scroobal is one of the best social and political commentators around. I am truly grateful that he has chosen sammyboy as his soap box. I am honored to have him as a member here.

..let me read between the lines to get your message.....
Hahaha...message received loud n clear....
But as usual, his clown lackey thought this was high praise...
There is really no medicine for stupidity

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The gist of your lengthy praise for Scroobal can be summed in one simple sentence - It is just business.

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wonder if the Bukit Batok voters have forgotten about their former PAP MP David Ong's adulterous 6months affair with a married mother of 3 young kids, and also cheating his own wife and kids?

ong04.jpg

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wonder if the Bukit Batok voters have forgotten about their former PAP MP David Ong's adulterous 6months affair with a married mother of 3 young kids, and also cheating his own wife and kids?

ong04.jpg
[/QUOTE

Let bygones be bygones.

Wendy has found forgiveness in God. Her husband has found a new love. David has received forgiveness and getting along well with his wife and mother in law. M has gotten his wish. His grin is splashed in the papers.

Let's move on.

Last edited:

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wendy has found forgiveness in God. Her husband has found a new love. David has received forgiveness and getting along well with his wife and mother in law.

Wow, is this true? how did you know this? I was not aware of this. Was it in the newspapers? I stop buying the ST papers a long time ago.

Last edited:

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wow, is this true? how did you know this? I was not aware of this. Was it in the newspapers? I stop buying the ST papers a long time ago.

Check out the thread How Wendy Husband found out.

Last I heard is that MediaCorp is planning to make a movie based on the story.

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
Check out the thread How Wendy Husband found out.

Last I heard is that MediaCorp is planning to make a movie based on the story.

I just Read your thread "How Wendy Husband found out", and it sounds like a made up story. Sorry but I don't think what you said below is true. :smile:

Wendy has found forgiveness in God. Her husband has found a new love. David has received forgiveness and getting along well with his wife and mother in law.

If Mediacorp is making a movie of the David Ong adulterous affair, it would be even worse for David Ong and Wendy Lim and very shameful for them. :o

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I just Read your thread "How Wendy Husband found out", and it sounds like a made up story. Sorry but I don't think what you said below is true. :smile:

If Mediacorp is making a movie of the David Ong adulterous affair, it would be even worse for David Ong and Wendy Lim and very shameful for them. :o

Glad to know you have a heart for them. No point airing the dirty linen during the election. Let bygones be bygones.

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
Glad to know you have a heart for them. No point airing the dirty linen during the election. Let bygones be bygones.

It's not about "airing dirty linen", it's about the facts, this adulterous affair is the very reason why there is a by-election.

The Michael Palmer affair should've serve as a good warning for elected public office holders on decency and integrity, but yet David Ong still secretly went on with his adulterous affair for 6 months and cheated on his wife repeatedly before being exposed by Wendy's husband.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

chigger, any comments? leongsam not fair. should have praised the dynamic trio. afterall you 3 have more posts and points and a huge following here - from australia to zaire.