• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

It finally happened..............

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The dreaded "R" word finally caught up within the company..........8 of my colleagues (now ex) was being retrenched......

The mood was sombre and those not affected was very quiet, and I guess afraid, if they will be next, being asked to go into HR.

And no, it's not a April fools joke......they were asked to leave and by noon time, all 8 of them were gone, their cubicles messed up and their personal belongings cleared.

No mood for lunch that day.......wondering, if I will be next........

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If there is no Retrenchment....Singaporeans will not be jolted out of their cocoons & live in a "promised" world of the PAP. I have been retrenched twice & stop being retrenched & decided that I be my own contractor....I don't work hard for myself I "retrench" myself.

Good...I hops more retrenchments will come this year...it is time the 70% faces the hard truth & have to repent for their stupidity...

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The malls are busy, the restaurants are still packed. While life may suck for the small numbers being retrenched, the vast majority of sinkies will survive the financial downturn with their finances largely intact.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The malls are busy, the restaurants are still packed. While life may suck for the small numbers being retrenched, the vast majority of sinkies will survive the financial downturn with their finances largely intact.

Those at the malls don't come from Singapore...you want to sample what is going on...before Library opening time, any day....join the crowds waiting outside & observe...how many people are fighting for the free newspapers to read......you will get an idea....sucks!?

iluvgst

Alfrescian
Loyal
The dreaded "R" word finally caught up within the company..........8 of my colleagues (now ex) was being retrenched......

The mood was sombre and those not affected was very quiet, and I guess afraid, if they will be next, being asked to go into HR.

And no, it's not a April fools joke......they were asked to leave and by noon time, all 8 of them were gone, their cubicles messed up and their personal belongings cleared.

No mood for lunch that day.......wondering, if I will be next........

what industry is this?

jw5

Loyal

Noted that the kopi + roti outlets in shopping malls are still packed. :wink:

452SAR

Alfrescian
Loyal

70% of the population does not believe in social safety net.
To them, retrenchment is a form of natural-selection.
no mercy.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Misery loves company. I am sure there are many who are delighted to hear this news. Most excellent report sir!

OldFart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
A very close friend of mine had a near miss, two months ago department 6 got retrenched and entire company salary reduction 15%. Company wide many got to go. A very famous architect company in Singapore.

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
what industry is this?

Manufacturing........

Out of the 8, 3 were managers, 2 engineer, 2 technicians and 1 in administrative.
Morale is low, got a feeling, most, if not all, already looking for jobs.....

Some of the younger engineers, has since found jobs and move on......

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A very close friend of mine had a near miss, two months ago department 6 got retrenched and entire company salary reduction 15%. Company wide many got to go. A very famous architect company in Singapore.

My guess is the company is still not done with the r word.
Normally when one company reduce salary, if there is still no light in the tunnel six months down the line, there will be another r exercise......you should ask your friend to quickly look for another job......he/she is not safe.....as yet.

452SAR

Alfrescian
Loyal
Normally when one company reduce salary, if there is still no light in the tunnel six months down the line, there will be another r exercise......

Yes, you are completely right. Some companies are worse, they will reduce pay, reduce workdays to make you quit and never announce the R word because if you worked 10 years, they got to reimburse you 10months. Some even force you to switch to a 2-year employment contract and then sack you two years later without need for any compensation. Another media firm in town simply declare the company insolvent and close down the company and get HR renegotiate all employment terms with existing stuff under another newly restructured business name.

So if a company swee swee issue the R word with proper compensation, give them some credit for not playing dirty.

jw5

Loyal
Yes, you are completely right. Some companies are worse, they will reduce pay, reduce workdays to make you quit and never announce the R word because if you worked 10 years, they got to reimburse you 10months. Some even force you to switch to a 2-year employment contract and then sack you two years later without need for any compensation. Another media firm in town simply declare the company insolvent and close down the company and get HR renegotiate all employment terms with existing stuff under another newly restructured business name.

So if a company swee swee issue the R word with proper compensation, give them some credit for not playing dirty.

The 2 year employment contract scenario is not so bad. 2 years is plenty of time to look for a new job. :wink: