• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dont migrate to Canada, it could become Zimbabwe..LOL

larky28

Alfrescian
Loyal
Canadians Panic As Food Prices Soar On Collapsing Currency

Canada is struggling through a dramatic economic adjustment, especially in Alberta, the heart of the country’s oil patch. Amid the ongoing crude carnage the province has seen soaring property crime, rising food bank usage and, sadly, elevated suicide rates, as Albertans struggle to comprehend how things up north could have gone south (so to speak) so quickly.

The plunging loonie “can only serve to worsen the death of the 'Canadian Dream'"

As it turns out, we were exactly right.

The currency's decline is having a pronounced effect on Canadians' grocery bills. As Bloomberg reminds us, Canada imports around 80% of its fresh fruits and vegetables. When the loonie slides, prices for those good soar. "With lower-income households tending to spend a larger portion of income on food, this side effect of a soft currency brings them the most acute stress," Bloomberg continues.

Of course with the layoffs piling up, you can expect more households to fall into the "lower-income" category where they will have to struggle to afford things like $3 cucumbers, $8 cauliflower, and $15 Frosted Flakes. Have a look at the following tweets which underscore just how bad it is in Canada's grocery aisles.

CYivpatWQAE9KDW.png:large

CYixrvLUMAAfuIY.jpg

CXgoHPBUMAAXH4P.jpg

CXg4ydkU0AApU_1.jpg

CXg44MHUMAAHwDX.jpg

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Canada is one of the top food producing countries in the world...............don't buy imported food can liao lor........

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Canada is one of the top food producing countries in the world...............don't buy imported food can liao lor........

Because of its cold climate, a lot fresh produce and fruit have to be imported, especially those grown in the subtropics and mid-latitude regions. Not much choice if you stick to home-grown food.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
at least this is one country which allow FT jobs only after NO canadian wants it unlike this traitorous govt who steal our jobs & give the to f trashes to buy votes to win GE!!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
With the cold climate, Canadian cannabis growers are at the cutting edge and the world leaders of indoor greenhouse cultivation. And the quality is so good (well, extreme really) that there is no need to import anything produced from abroad. BC Weed, is grown in Vancouver and finds a ready market down south in USA. Due to its market value (over other commercial crops), it is not possible to talk the marijuana farmers to switch to other crops. They're happy doing what they do! And exporting it too!

Cheers!

Because of its cold climate, a lot fresh produce and fruit have to be imported, especially those grown in the subtropics and mid-latitude regions. Not much choice if you stick to home-grown food.

kezgtree

Alfrescian
Loyal
at least this is one country which allow FT jobs only after NO canadian wants it unlike this traitorous govt who steal our jobs & give the to f trashes to buy votes to win GE!!

...watch a documentary on canada...somehow it said that you needed a certain card(i guess its from a certain authority) to show to your potential employer before they can employ you....that is to say whoever FT go there as social visitor and try to find jobs....is a NO NO...why we did not implement such law in sinkieland...sigh

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I think you are doing Canada a big favour by asking loser Sinkies with their kiasu mentality not to move there.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The photos in the first post of this thread, looks like it is taken at a Loblaws store in Canada, based on "those stars" near the price card.

It is true that since late Nov 2015, probably due to the weather situation in California and that locally grown cauliflowers were harvested in late Sep or first week of Oct, cauliflowers are very expensive, at $6 to $8 a head.
Cereals (and although I do not buy frosted flakes) are definitely not $15 a box in Toronto, and "Tide" laundry detergent is not $32 for that size (yesterday, Jan 13, 2016, "Tide laundry pods" are $24 for a container of 81 pods).

In Dec 2015, I posted the following at a discussion thread started by [Claire] titled NTUC Passion Card. [with updates in green font]

During my several visits to Singapore, I noticed that many or more of the items at supermarkets there are more expensive than Toronto, even after accounting for the currency difference.
Haagen Daz ice cream in Singapore is exorbitant.
There are several tropical food items that are cheaper in Singapore than Toronto.

A short list of staples in Toronto, all of which may not be cheaper than Singapore:
1. a bag of 4 litres of 2% partly skimmed milk, Cdn$4, but we prefer micro filtered milk which can be $4 to $6 for 4 litres [ at Food Basics: week ending Jan 13, 2016, Lactantia filtered milk, $5 for 4 litre bag, week ending Jan 20, $3.88 for 4 litre bag, which is at a record low price ]
2. eggs, large, $2.50 to $4.50 a dozen depending whether or not it is on sale [ at Sobeys, week ending Jan 14, 2016, a dozen large brown eggs at $2.88, at Shoppers Drug Mart, a dozen large white eggs at $2.49 ]
3. bread, whole wheat, $2.50 to $4 for a 675 gm loaf, or at Future Bakery, freshly baked light rye bread $4 for 900 gm loaf [at No Frills, week ending Jan 14 and Jan 21, 2016, 600 gm or 675 gm loaf of "Country Harvest" (a bakery owned by Weston and affliiated with Loblaws) whole wheat and other varieties of bread at $2 ]
4. cereals, say Kelloggs corn flakes, $4 for 650 gm box, many other cereals when on sale (different supermarkets have different cereals on sale, so it is easy to buy it on sale to stock up) is much cheaper than Singapore [ last week at Metro, 400 gm box of Honey Bunches of Oats, very similar to corn flakes, $2; Post Shredded Wheat 525 gm box, $2 ]
5. butter, unsalted, $3 to $4 for 454 gm
6. coffee, Nescafe instant, 200 gm $4, a cup of coffee at Starbucks is about $2 or a small cup of artisan coffee at St. Lawrence Market is $1
7. fresh vegeatables is much cheaper during the summer months, but may be close to prices in Singapore during the winter months [ week ending Jan 14, 2016: at Loblaws, large head of organic cauliflower $7, cucumbers $2.50; non large chain stores: cucumbers $1.50, celery $4, package of 400 gm French green beans $3, green beans at $2.50 a pound; last week at Sobeys, large very good quality red bell peppers from Spain at $2 a pound ]
8. salmon fillet, fresh, $6 to $14 a pound [ prior months at Sunny Food Mart: fresh salmon fillet $6 to $7 a pound, week ending Jan 14, 2016 $8 a pound; Dominc's Fish Market at St. Lawrence Mkt, $12 to $14 a pound ]
9. salmon, fresh smoked $29 to $35 a pound
10. chicken breast, skinless and boneless, $6 to $12 a pound [ week ending Jan 13, 2016 at Food Basics, air chilled boneless skinless chicken breast $5 a package, between 600 to 800 gm ]
11. steak, striploin, Angus, AAA, $10 to $20 a pound [last week, about $14 a pound]
12. lamb loin chops, NZ, fresh, $8 to $15 a pound
13. lamb boneless leg, NZ fresh, $8 to $12 a pound
14. potatoes, Yukon Gold yellow flesh, 10 pound bag, $2 to $4 [last week, at Loblaws $2]
15. rice, Thai fragrant, 8kg bag, $12 to $15 (we may use a cup a week)
16. pasta, dry, 900 gm package, $1 when it is on sale, otherwise about $2, pasta from Italy, $1 to $2 for 500gm
17. pasta sauce, 700 ml, $1 to $3

edited or added items 16 and 17
Recently, cauliflower has been very expensive, at $6 to $8 a head (may be due to the drought in California), whereas in the summer, it was about $2 to $3 for a much larger head (and grown in Ontario), red bell peppers is $4 a pound (in the summer it was $1 a pound and just before autumn about $1.50 to $2 a pound) and broccoli is also much more expensive, at $3 to $4 a bunch.
Whereas several staples were relatively cheaper:
cereals at $2 for a 400 gm or 525 gm box
boneless lamb leg $6 to $7 a pound
carrots, 10 pound bag at $2 to $3
onions, 10 pound bag at $2
red grapefruit, 3 for $1 (usually 3 or 4 for $2)
Thai fragrant rice, 8kg bag $10

Last edited:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
1.00 CAD = 0.992141 SGD. Singapore dollar is stronger than Canadian dollar. Even though the Singapore economy is not great, the dollar is still stronger.
Canada is in a deep crisis economically. All those Harper years where the liberals in Ontario talked about the high CAD$ and booming oil in Alberta CAUSING Ontario to suffer is utter nonsense.
Much of the manufacturing sector in Eastern Canada was geared toward the oil and gas sector. Now that oil has collapsed, everything is down.

Stupid Liberals. I know some of you at this forum are Liberal Supporters and you have a right in a democracy to make your choice. So do I. Trudeau will bankrupt Canada with his half baked economic policies. The freak election result in Alberta was because of the stupidity of Jim Prentice. I have never seen a more stupid politician as he. Albertans just could not bring themselves to vote for such a stupid Premier. But I think few wanted a majority NDP government either. It's our fault. But we will correct it in 3 years time.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1.00 CAD = 0.992141 SGD. Singapore dollar is stronger than Canadian dollar. Even though the Singapore economy is not great, the dollar is still stronger.
Canada is in a deep crisis economically. All those Harper years where the liberals in Ontario talked about the high CAD$ and booming oil in Alberta CAUSING Ontario to suffer is utter nonsense.
Much of the manufacturing sector in Eastern Canada was geared toward the oil and gas sector. Now that oil has collapsed, everything is down.

Stupid Liberals. I know some of you at this forum are Liberal Supporters and you have a right in a democracy to make your choice. So do I. Trudeau will bankrupt Canada with his half baked economic policies. The freak election result in Alberta was because of the stupidity of Jim Prentice. I have never seen a more stupid politician as he. Albertans just could not bring themselves to vote for such a stupid Premier. But I think few wanted a majority NDP government either. It's our fault. But we will correct it in 3 years time.

dont get the titties and panties in a bunch,im pretty sure being a liberal or a conservatard have no power over what oil prices are,least of all canada.neither does being a liberal or conservative have any relation to how good you are as a businessmen,financier or economist,from what i read most of the time,right wingers are hypocrites,liars and make terrible economists.high or low oil prices hurt or benefit different people at different times,it is up to ur business instincts to make the best of any situations and to understand market forces and how to profit from it,it represents opportunities for the keenly aware to get rich.

i rather be a good businessman,a good economist,capitalist and a liberal,and spread my wealth among the people because i believe its society that makes me rich i merely saw the angles,then be lieing thieving crooks who do not play fair,and twist and corrupt the truth and reality to justify their profits.

i do not know who tradeau is but i will vote for any canadian government who boycotts the F35 program.

Last edited:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
...watch a documentary on canada...somehow it said that you needed a certain card(i guess its from a certain authority) to show to your potential employer before they can employ you....that is to say whoever FT go there as social visitor and try to find jobs....is a NO NO...why we did not implement such law in sinkieland...sigh

Sinkapore got ic but it doesn't matter ....IC is only for government to keep track of you. Jobs in sinkapore are given to foreigners first, as encouraged by the PAP.
You want to get back your country, you need to get rid of the PAP.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
And you know how dollar value could change overnight. What are the fundamentals to justify the SGD to be higher than CAD? A natural disaster or ISIS attacks sinkapore and value of SGD will plunge. Like I have been repeating umpteenly, sinkapore is a peesai and nobody really pays attention to it most of the time.

So, you have become a right-winger after spending some time in Alberta. I thot you were a thinker.
Harper bet everything on dirty oil and allowed the high dollar to decimate manufacturing. Remember the NDP mentioning the Dutch disease? Everyone dismissed that ...it was obvious to all who felt the impact of the high dollar except the CONs and right-wingers.

Gosh, you are no better than the PAP kind with your shallow diagnosis; hope you are better as a doctor.
If the bulk of Ontario manufacturing was focus on supporting O&G, then the East would have been booming. Please lah ...don't shoot from the hip. Look at facts before you utter nonsense.
Everything is down because most of major manufacturing had left when CAD was at parity with USD. There was NO advantage to manufacture in Canada.

Betting everything on oil is not stupid policy? Canada is suffering because of that policy. And don't blame the NDP for the failures of the CON government in Alberta. Alberta has a Heritage Fund that was supposed to be like the Norwegian sovereign fund. The former has accumulated little while the latter has made every Norwegian a millionaire.
You and your kind can get Alberta out of Canada. I think that will be a wonderful. Since you like right-wing government, why the hell did you leave sinkapore? Sinkapore is the bastion of right-wing bs.You could have made so much money in sinkapore instead of working in a single payer system of healthcare. You left it for a country that right-wing have to battle progressive government.