• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why men in Singapore wear sandals everywhere they go?

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
I can't help but notice this when I am travelling on the mrt, in shopping centres and everywhere.

Don't they find it strange? They wear a peoper collar shirt and long pants. As you zoom down to their feet, it is a pair of sandals showing their ugly toes.

Why even bother to wear long pants or a collar shirt? If you want to wear sandals, just wear a tshirt and bermudas to make yourself even more comfy. No?

My conclusion is that Singaporean men have bad dress-sense. No difference from the mainland chinese and indian foreign workers who dress and wear sandals all the time.

Your thoughts?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Common footwear here used to be cha-kiak. Now hardly can find, so the next step up would be flip-flops.

Cheers!

tictactoe

Alfrescian
Loyal
I can't help but notice this when I am travelling on the mrt, in shopping centres and everywhere.

Don't they find it strange? They wear a peoper collar shirt and long pants. As you zoom down to their feet, it is a pair of sandals showing their ugly toes.

Why even bother to wear long pants or a collar shirt? If you want to wear sandals, just wear a tshirt and bermudas to make yourself even more comfy. No?

My conclusion is that Singaporean men have bad dress-sense. No difference from the mainland chinese and indian foreign workers who dress and wear sandals all the time.

Your thoughts?

Hi Tracy, Happy Thanksgiving and how are you my man?

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Tracy, Happy Thanksgiving and how are you my man?

First, I am not Tracy.

Next, your post adds no value to this discussion.

Finally, use your grey matter before you write and post in future, otherwise, the stupidity multiplies with time.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's personal. There are no laws governing dress codes. In Singapore, except for certain places, people are very casual (or not concerned?) about how they look. You can see some people in their pyjamas in shopping malls. Women don't put on make up unless they are going on a date, or doing frontline work at office. I attended an all boys school where we had to wear a tie every Monday, because of this, I know how to tie one, when I started working, I was surprised to find out many men did not know how to and only learnt after they worked, and again, only if they are in sales, or in a bank. There are many reasons contributing to a very casual attitude in dress here. Firstly, its in the tropics, most of us are descendents of coolies where our fathers worked bare-body, or in singlets, and just a generation or two ago, the community here was poor. The high fashion scene in Orchard Road is an imported trend.

Cheers!

Flip flops or Wooden clogs are not meant to go with collar shirt and pants. Period.

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's personal. There are no laws governing dress codes. In Singapore, except for certain places, people are very casual (or not concerned?) about how they look. You can see some people in their pyjamas in shopping malls. Women don't put on make up unless they are going on a date, or doing frontline work at office. I attended an all boys school where we had to wear a tie every Monday, because of this, I know how to tie one, when I started working, I was surprised to find out many men did not know how to and only learnt after they worked, and again, only if they are in sales, or in a bank. There are many reasons contributing to a very casual attitude in dress here. Firstly, its in the tropics, most of us are descendents of coolies where our fathers worked bare-body, or in singlets, and just a generation or two ago, the community here was poor. The high fashion scene in Orchard Road is an imported trend.

Cheers!

First, no one is discussing about laws here. It is about dressing to make oneself presentable.

Second, being in the tropics is no excuse to wear sandals with collar shirt and long pants. If your tropics excuse hold water, these men should just wear a light shirt and bermudas or even shorts.

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
A good footwear to match PM LHL's pink shirt. PINK JANDALS; very comfortable and airy in SG hot humid climate
attachment.php

Attachments

• _LKP1882-Low-Res.jpg
    _LKP1882-Low-Res.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 3,675

Onitsuka

Alfrescian
Loyal
Scholl started this trend when they first introduced their expensive sandals.

As for collared shirt, much will depend on whether it's tucked in or tuck out. If it's tucked in, then sandals, whether Scholl or Birkenstock, is a no-no. But if it's tucked out, and the print on the shirt is casual as opposed to plain office-looking shirt, sandals are acceptable. I mean not any sandals, but presentable looking sandals.

Technically speaking, it's also not proper with wear sports shoes with collared shirt, even if you are wearing Onitsuka Tiger.

fupikee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Your thoughts?

It is just monkey see, donkey do....same as smoking everywhere with cigarette in hand ....

....used to be one can walk around in Singapore with no smelly second and third hand smoke in the air ..ever since all the foreign trash got admitted, the ah tiongs, ah nehs, ang mos walk around with cigarettes in hand and wah lah, we have now people smoking everywhere, where ever they like...in corridors, overhead bridges, bus stops, just outside buildings, etc, etc....all despite the supposedly strict laws against smoking in restricted areas....what a fxx laugh...:biggrin:

...same, same, the story of wearing slippers by men....

numero uno

Alfrescian
Loyal

Your thoughts?

at least they have common sense. Singapore weather is hot and humid. try wearing shoes after a few hours your feet sweat and stinks and feel very uncomfortable. only idiots wear shoes when going to supermarkets or hawker centers. I rather have common sense than dress sense. alot of idiots do not even have any cow sense in sinkieland. you see young teenagers wearing beanies in this hot weather!!! stand near them and their hair stinks!!! and even stupid people esp office ladies wearing latest winter clothes or jackets walking down Orchard road(thinking they are in Ginza or fifth avenue or Tshimshashui) or waiting at taxi stands and complaining about the hot weather. really stupid people trying to impress with their dress sense but end up showing how ridiculously stupid they are.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
The subject discussed here does not include laws, but laws do affect the way people dress. Try wearing slippers into a construction yard/shipyard. If we are talking about a common public place, and there is no dress code, then people can wear what they wish. And most people would wear what is most comfortable, or convenient. If one were to run out to 7-11 to buy some snacks, is one going to get all dressed up? As long as one's private parts are not exposed, one is allowed. Regarding dress codes, I went to an eatery (here in Singapore) and they had the best policy displayed - "Men, no shirt, no service. Women, no shirt, free beer!"

People living in the tropics, given a choice, people would rather go bare-body and no footwear. Just take a look at the warm parts of Australia. The indigenous peoples of this part of the world - the Dayaks and Orang Asli, look at how they dress. That is natural. Clothing was worn by the later foreigners who arrived from cooler parts of the world. We put on a shirt/dress when we go out is because current norms do not favour nudeness.

Cheers!

First, no one is discussing about laws here. It is about dressing to make oneself presentable.

Second, being in the tropics is no excuse to wear sandals with collar shirt and long pants. If your tropics excuse hold water, these men should just wear a light shirt and bermudas or even shorts.

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
And SINKIE women shouldn't be wearing THICK PADDED bras in the hot humid climate either, bra less is the way to go given that most SINKIE girls have airport chests anyway that do not require any form of anti gravitational support whatsoever!

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
As for collared shirt, much will depend on whether it's tucked in or tuck out. If it's tucked in, then sandals, whether Scholl or Birkenstock, is a no-no. But if it's tucked out, and the print on the shirt is casual as opposed to plain office-looking shirt, sandals are acceptable. I mean not any sandals, but presentable looking sandals.

I am appalled that you believe there is such a thing called a "presentable" sandal to go with collared shirt and long pants.

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
The subject discussed here does not include laws, but laws do affect the way people dress. Try wearing slippers into a construction yard/shipyard. If we are talking about a common public place, and there is no dress code, then people can wear what they wish. And most people would wear what is most comfortable, or convenient. If one were to run out to 7-11 to buy some snacks, is one going to get all dressed up? As long as one's private parts are not exposed, one is allowed. Regarding dress codes, I went to an eatery (here in Singapore) and they had the best policy displayed - "Men, no shirt, no service. Women, no shirt, free beer!"

People living in the tropics, given a choice, people would rather go bare-body and no footwear. Just take a look at the warm parts of Australia. The indigenous peoples of this part of the world - the Dayaks and Orang Asli, look at how they dress. That is natural. Clothing was worn by the later foreigners who arrived from cooler parts of the world. We put on a shirt/dress when we go out is because current norms do not favour nudeness.

Cheers!

You are simply digressing.

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
at least they have common sense. Singapore weather is hot and humid. try wearing shoes after a few hours your feet sweat and stinks and feel very uncomfortable. only idiots wear shoes when going to supermarkets or hawker centers. I rather have common sense than dress sense. alot of idiots do not even have any cow sense in sinkieland. you see young teenagers wearing beanies in this hot weather!!! stand near them and their hair stinks!!! and even stupid people esp office ladies wearing latest winter clothes or jackets walking down Orchard road(thinking they are in Ginza or fifth avenue or Tshimshashui) or waiting at taxi stands and complaining about the hot weather. really stupid people trying to impress with their dress sense but end up showing how ridiculously stupid they are.

Common sense wearing collar shirt and long pants with sandals?

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
And SINKIE women shouldn't be wearing THICK PADDED bras in the hot humid climate either, bra less is the way to go given that most SINKIE girls have airport chests anyway that do not require any form of anti gravitational support whatsoever!

I think sinkie men with their puny dicks too should not wear underpants. it wouldn't show even when fully extended anyway. why bother and waste money.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
they got stinking feet. sweaty and really revolting. maybe they should consider scholl's shoe deodoriser.

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal

Your thoughts?

so what if sg men have bad dress sense? what's it to you? close your eyes or don't look at feet if it causes you discomfort. but frankly, no one gives a dam whether you think ah pek X is presentable or not. i'm sure he doesn't give a rat's ass about your opinion of him.

this whole notion of being fashionable is a sign that one has nothing better to think off other than physical appearances.

you are just another conformist who despite years of education, is unable to think for itself.