• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Middle-ground voter explain why she voted for PAP this time.

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
Middle ground voters in general vote on issues or mixture of both issues and personality of the candidates. They might not have a keen interests in politics as we do but that doesn't mean they are not aware of what going on.

Generally speaking, many swing voters want more oppositions but won't cast their ballot for any opposition who comes.

It also depends on the circumstances and what issues of the day that will affect their decisions. Like when the economy is doing well, it tend to work against pap as voters will have the room to think about things like having more check and balance.. When economy isn't doing well and there are lots of uncertainties ahead, all the demand for electoral reform can be put aside and focus will be on giving pap a strong mandate to solve the economic problems ahead. after all it concerns their bread and butter and I think this is what happen now.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cool down. Its just sympathy votes for the passing of lky. His going away present. Next election, it will be different.

Sperminator

Alfrescian
Loyal
Middle ground voters in general vote on issues or mixture of both issues and personality of the candidates. They might not have a keen interests in politics as we do but that doesn't mean they are not aware of what going on.

Generally speaking, many swing voters want more oppositions but won't cast their ballot for any opposition who comes.

It also depends on the circumstances and what issues of the day that will affect their decisions. Like when the economy is doing well, it tend to work against pap as voters will have the room to think about things like having more check and balance.. When economy isn't doing well and there are lots of uncertainties ahead, all the demand for electoral reform can be put aside and focus will be on giving pap a strong mandate to solve the economic problems ahead. after all it concerns their bread and butter and I think this is what happen now.

Very good analysis brother 3_M

The next few years would be a Global Economic Crisis, and now it's all about bread and butter issues, about where is the money going to come from to feed my family, to sustain my mortgages, to sustain my expensive cars and all...

Stability, Safety, and Assurance of able to take care of own family comes as First Priority to everyone's mind.

Unknowingly to the masses, the incumbent Government is taking the easy way out to maintain Singapore GDP, simply by importing FTs...

Truly we don't need an economist to figure that if population growth is increased, GDP increases as well, simply because of the micro economies of demands are increased, when there are more FTs imported, due to increased of demands of almost anything you can think of... people need to eat, sleep, shit, bathe, fuck, entertainment, hobbies, communications, education, healthcare, and anything that I missed out... All these micro economies demands belong to the C in the GDP equation... and Consumption will surely help in the GDP equation.

From the short term, voting back the incumbent seems like a good deal, however, we shall see the next 5 years till GE2020 to see if today's decision was truly a prudent one.

I am truly disappointed with the results, as the opposition parties could really bring out issues to Parliament (Provided they hold 30 percent seats, where real issues could be discussed)

Now, it's just the beginning... with only 6 seats in this time, I hope WP can remain safe, and strong, entrench their position further, and build more GRC / SMC to understand their Manifestos. I hope Mr. Tan Jee Say could get some GRC / SMC at places where he could enter first. These 2 are reformers, and are quite solid in their Manifestos. WP is a proven branding, and Mr. Tan Jee Say is an experienced Politician who worked in the PMO office before.

It's about time Singapore reform it's economic ideals, we have already reached the peak of our progress... In order to progress further, TECHNO R&D-MANUFACTURING-EXPORTS is the way to go, as there is no way to Exports Services, we can only exports MADE-IN-SINGAPORE products to gain wealth for the people of Singapore...

My point here is that, Singaporeans are truly conservatives, and are afraid of changes... the analogy here is that 70 percent of us prefer to be the frog in the warm water, whilst someone else is boiling us to death...

The only way I can see Singapore move from a CPF Rich, Cash Poor Nation begins with the core reform of the Economic Structure, which only benefits the GIC, Temasek Holdings, but not the People Entirely.

Economic Reforms are always a Risk, and Risk is a must to take... If we don't take risks, there will never be gains...

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The conclusion of local sinkie being self centered, care little about others and doesn't bother to think out of the box has already been drawn long ago.
We can see clearly that history repeats itself again in GE2015 where local sinkies once again only concern about their own future while folding their arms watching others suffer.
We failed miserably to see the overall picture of the purpose of getting OPPO into parliament.
The main core reason is not what the OPPO can do to manage your town or provide better facilities and lives for the residents of their constituency.
It's purpose is to hindrance the MIW to think twice before they can easily implement policies that always favours the rich and powerful at the expense of the poor and middle class.
Yet we local sinkies only think of about our own benefits and interests while neglecting the thought of how others have been trying hard to live their lives.
The outcome of such "kiasi and kiasu local sinkie mentality" will result in a much tougher life for the next 5 years.
The rich and powerful will not feel the pinch but the poor and middle class will be struggling to make ends meet.

Sperminator

Alfrescian
Loyal
The conclusion of local sinkie being self centered, care little about others and doesn't bother to think out of the box has already been drawn long ago.
We can see clearly that history repeats itself again in GE2015 where local sinkies once again only concern about their own future while folding their arms watching others suffer.
We failed miserably to see the overall picture of the purpose of getting OPPO into parliament.
The main core reason is not what the OPPO can do to manage your town or provide better facilities and lives for the residents of their constituency.
It's purpose is to hindrance the MIW to think twice before they can easily implement policies that always favours the rich and powerful at the expense of the poor and middle class.
Yet we local sinkies only think of about our own benefits and interests while neglecting the thought of how others have been trying hard to live their lives.
The outcome of such "kiasi and kiasu local sinkie mentality" will result in a much tougher life for the next 5 years.
The rich and powerful will not feel the pinch but the poor and middle class will be struggling to make ends meet.

I feel you brother!

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
My point here is that, Singaporeans are truly conservatives, and are afraid of changes... the analogy here is that 70 percent of us prefer to be the frog in the warm water, whilst someone else is boiling us to death...

The extra cautious and conservativeness stem from the fact that we are too small to afford failure for we may not get a second chance.

Opposition parties that advocate complete overhaul of the system will unlikely gain traction. Conservative voters will be more receptive to opposition like WP that emphasize minor tweak to status quo.

Sperminator

Alfrescian
Loyal
The extra cautious and conservativeness stem from the fact that we are too small to afford failure for we may not get a second chance.

Opposition parties that advocate complete overhaul of the system will unlikely gain traction. Conservative voters will be more receptive to opposition like WP that emphasize minor tweak to status quo.

Right on target! I agree with you fully on this one. Singaporean mindset is more or less highly conservatives, and do not want complete overhaul changes, it'll cause them to think that the big changes would actually cause instability to their current lives, which is really not too bad, as compared to the rest of the world.

Therefore, changes have to be done slowly... not immediately... or maybe come out with some form of controlled experiments, and see it's results... and see if it could be scaled up.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Do I wish there are more alternative voices in Parliament? Yes. Do I think it was an unfair playing ground? Yes. But do I think this result is therefore invalid? Not at all. Again, the Singaporean electorate is pragmatic, not stupid. Don't be so bloody condescending. It would do well for the opposition to realise that the best way to win votes is simply to WORK for them. The MIW figured this out the last GE. That's why they're back.

That's why sinkees deserved the PAP.
What can the Opposition do when the PAP controls EVERYTHING?

And what has the PAP done? Gave you a few morsels of bread and you jumped with joy. Meanwhile, you are still going to retire with little in the CPF, your kids are still going to spend his lifetime paying for overpriced HDB and your kid will have a career that last till he is 35, after that he can be a taxi driver.

Sperminator

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's why sinkees deserved the PAP.
What can the Opposition do when the PAP controls EVERYTHING?

And what has the PAP done? Gave you a few morsels of bread and you jumped with joy. Meanwhile, you are still going to retire with little in the CPF, your kids are still going to spend his lifetime paying for overpriced HDB and your kid will have a career that last till he is 35, after that he can be a taxi driver.

You forget to mention that your kids career can also be a Uber driver. It pays more :p

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
V

Truly we don't need an economist to figure that if population growth is increased, GDP increases as well, simply because of the micro economies of demands are increased, when there are more FTs imported, due to increased of demands of almost anything you can think of... people need to eat, sleep, shit, bathe, fuck, entertainment, hobbies, communications, education, healthcare, and anything that I missed out... All these micro economies demands belong to the C in the GDP equation... and Consumption will surely help in the GDP equation.

this is only beneficial to us if we are the landlords,the business owners,the banks,the moneylender or the tax collector,which is only a minority of the population.but for the most of us,we are the consumers.the importation of fts is bad for us as it increases the competition for limited resources,it increases the competition for housing,for limited road space,limited cars on the road plus increase demand for car ownership means coe prices go up,it increases the competition for jobs,for limited hospital beds,for limited childcare centres.at the end of the day,the mass influx of foreigners is fighting for limited resources with the locals and infringing on our territory and quality of living.

JHolmesJr

Alfrescian
Loyal
"Middle Ground" is a term invented to confuse dumb singos…who as we know are easily confused as a bunch of sheep…

The issues of this election were polarising…you want 10 million people here or not…no middle ground.

At the end of the day people want a familiar face especially in times of economic uncertainty….that is what caused this swing…..or whatever the fuck u wanna call it.

Middle grounders bore the fuck out of me…they are an impediment to any real progress….and thats just the way some would want it.

Sperminator

Alfrescian
Loyal
this is only beneficial to us if we are the landlords,the business owners,the banks,the moneylender or the tax collector,which is only a minority of the population.but for the most of us,we are the consumers.the importation of fts is bad for us as it increases the competition for limited resources,it increases the competition for housing,for limited road space,limited cars on the road plus increase demand for car ownership means coe prices go up,it increases the competition for jobs,for limited hospital beds,for limited childcare centres.at the end of the day,the mass influx of foreigners is fighting for limited resources with the locals and infringing on our territory and quality of living.

my point exactly on why we should have more opposition to prevent more FT influx!!! And then again, why I bother... Singaporeans like to hold on to things that doesn't even belong to them.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I voted for PAP because over the past 5 years

1) my family income increased by around 10% per year average

2) there is expansion in MRT network

3) estate upgrading for my poorer neighbours

4) low crime rate

5) reliable utilities and improvement in smartphone connectivity

6) my kids are doing well in elite schools

fuckSDPparty

Alfrescian
Loyal
they are so many monkey party in this election 2015, do you think they would vote for opposition? you guys are good at ownself fuck ownself only. look at wayang Dr cheebuy > Now PAP once again unleash the Kraken in CSJ to confuse and disrupt alternative parties progress from GE2011 by agreeing to give discount from $500,000 to $30,000 so that CSJ can take part in elections. Destructive, disruptive and history repeats itself.

CABcommander

Alfrescian
Loyal
I voted for PAP because over the past 5 years

1) my family income increased by around 10% per year average

2) there is expansion in MRT network

3) estate upgrading for my poorer neighbours

4) low crime rate

5) reliable utilities and improvement in smartphone connectivity

6) my kids are doing well in elite schools

Past 5 years?

Means you voted for pap just one time in 2011. Before that were you supporting oppositions?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Past 5 years?

Means you voted for pap just one time in 2011. Before that were you supporting oppositions?

I got vote for opposition before. That was when I felt the candidate was qualified to run my town council. For many of us, we are more concerned about having an honest and able person to run the town council. I am not interested in his/her national proposals, because unless he/she can form the government, whatever proposal put up will be shot down. It's politics. But if the candidate sprouts nonsense such as reduction in NS, cutting of defense budget, give out money to everyone in the ward, the candidate will not get my vote. How will he pay for all the stuff he proposed?

It is far better to walk the ground, get a feel of the place, talk to people and understand the local issues first. Candidates like Chee show very little interest in local problems and is more interested to immediately tackle problems on the national stage. Remember the time he wanted to contest in Punggol East by-elections? Chee proposed that WP run the town council while he represented the residents in Parliament. WTF??

On the other hand, PAP opposition candidates like Sitoh or Desmond Choo focused mostly on local issues. Sitoh also tried to play fair by starting his own social projects out of his own personal networks instead of always relying on PA. That was how he gradually won over the residents to unseat Chiam. Choo of course, got rejected. But that's how the opposition should have tried.

Chee wants to contest in Hollang Bukit-Timah, but SDP HQ is all the way in AMK. That means, he has no base at all in the areas he wants to contest. As far as residents are concerned, he's an alien to the ward. Who the hell would want to support a candidate who doesn't even have an office in the ward to provide some sort of meet-the-residents services?

People like Chee jacks off too much to figures like Mandela and Gandhi. But he forgets that Mandela and Gandhi only can arise in societies that suffer continual lack of justice and widespread poverty on a national scale. There's enough unhappiness to feed off, so that you can unify the disgruntled by purely making speeches. In places like Singapore, the Old Guard moved very fast to resolve widespread unhappiness by providing housing, clean sanitation, jobs, food and security. What we have here are just pockets of disgruntled people, not widespread discontentment over basic survival issues. As such, there will not be any Mandela and Gandhi here.

In fact, if Singapore produces a Mandela, I worry, because that would mean our entire society would have regressed back to Third World standards of widespread unemployment and social instability.

Last edited:

Sperminator

Alfrescian
Loyal
I got vote for opposition before. That was when I felt the candidate was qualified to run my town council. For many of us, we are more concerned about having an honest and able person to run the town council. I am not interested in his/her national proposals, because unless he/she can form the government, whatever proposal put up will be shot down. It's politics. But if the candidate sprouts nonsense such as reduction in NS, cutting of defense budget, give out money to everyone in the ward, the candidate will not get my vote. How will he pay for all the stuff he proposed?

It is far better to walk the ground, get a feel of the place, talk to people and understand the local issues first. Candidates like Chee show very little interest in local problems and is more interested to immediately tackle problems on the national stage. Remember the time he wanted to contest in Punggol East by-elections? Chee proposed that WP run the town council while he represented the residents in Parliament. WTF??

On the other hand, PAP opposition candidates like Sitoh or Desmond Choo focused mostly on local issues. Sitoh also tried to play fair by starting his own social projects out of his own personal networks instead of always relying on PA. That was how he gradually won over the residents to unseat Chiam. Choo of course, got rejected. But that's how the opposition should have tried.

Chee wants to contest in Hollang Bukit-Timah, but SDP HQ is all the way in AMK. That means, he has no base at all in the areas he wants to contest. As far as residents are concerned, he's an alien to the ward. Who the hell would want to support a candidate who doesn't even have an office in the ward to provide some sort of meet-the-residents services?

People like Chee jacks off too much to figures like Mandela and Gandhi. But he forgets that Mandela and Gandhi only can arise in societies that suffer continual lack of justice and widespread poverty on a national scale. There's enough unhappiness to feed off, so that you can unify the disgruntled by purely making speeches. In places like Singapore, the Old Guard moved very fast to resolve widespread unhappiness by providing housing, clean sanitation, jobs, food and security. What we have here are just pockets of disgruntled people, not widespread discontentment over basic survival issues. As such, there will not be any Mandela and Gandhi here.

In fact, if Singapore produces a Mandela, I worry, because that would mean our entire society would have regressed back to Third World standards of widespread unemployment and social instability.

Well Said.

zeebjii

Alfrescian
Loyal
that is a bullshit reason because everyone knows the PAP will win more than enough seats to form a comfortable majority in parliament. the freak election will never happen. if they love LKY and PAP, be proud of it and just say so lah. don't need to pretend to be rational middle ground, give stupid reasons and insult the people's intelligence.

Right on the spot! That's just an excuse to make them look and feel better. You know, like last time a girl rejected me saying i was too good for her. What a load of bull!