• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

★ Serie A Season 2015-16 ★

Maicon

Alfrescian
Loyal

Napoli appeal Higuain four-game ban

gonzalohiguain-cropped_7bu2jab1zf4c1g2hxxhfmv8wj.jpg

By Jamie Smith
Apr 5, 2016 19:27:20

The Serie A title contenders have confirmed, through their lawyer, that they will contest the suspension given to their star striker

Gonzalo Higuain's four-match ban is to be appealed by Serie A title hopefuls Napoli, the club's lawyer has confirmed.

Mattia Grassani said an application to the Court of Appeals will be made after Higuain was dismissed in his side's 3-1 loss at Udinese on Sunday.

The defeat left Maurizio Sarri's side six points behind league leaders Juventus, with Higuain hit with a four-game ban after the striker put his hands on the chest of referee Massimiliano Irrati following his red card and having to be restrained and led away by team-mates.

"We have asked to make an application to the Court of Appeals over Higuain's ban," Grassani told ANSA. "When we have the paperwork we can precisely delineate our defensive strategy.

"After we receive the documents we'll have seven days to appeal, by reading the content of the report."

Grassani added that the appeal is not expected to be heard until late next week, meaning Higuain will miss Napoli's match against Serie A's bottom side Verona on Sunday.

Bacca

Alfrescian
Loyal

Proud Mihajlovic resigned to Milan fate

8 April 2016

1049723header.jpg

Sinisa Mihajlovic is ready to accept his fate as the pressure mounts on the AC Milan coach ahead of a daunting home match against Serie A leaders Juventus.

Milan's challenge for European football has suffered a setback in recent weeks, with the team winless in their last four league games, leaving them sixth, six points behind Inter, who occupy the final Europa League qualification place.

They could yet claim a berth in UEFA's second-tier competition courtesy of their appearance in the Coppa Italia final, either by beating Juventus in the decider or, should they lose, holding onto sixth position.

For now the Rossoneri's task does not get any easier, with reigning Serie A champions Juve due to visit San Siro on Saturday amid reports Mihajlovic could be sacked if they fail to produce a positive performance.

"Like every coach in the world, I'm judged on results," he said. "If the team does not perform in the next few games then it's right that I be sacked, even before the end of the season.

"As long as I'm here I'll give my all, I'll cross that bridge [dismissal] if it comes to it. I have a clear conscience and I try to transmit what I have inside of me.

"When things aren't going well it's right that people talk about the coach, and he faces up to his responsibilities. It's a normal thing, I've always done it and it's just my way of being.

"I don't have any problem holding my hands up, if there isn't the right spirit then I'm the first to take the blame and I have to transmit certain things.

"If I can't do that, then I've failed."

Mihajlovic confirmed the future of underperforming striker Mario Balotelli is out of his hands, after chief executive Adriano Galliani indicated the Italy international, on loan from Liverpool, was unlikely to become the target of a permanent transfer.

"You have to ask the club," he said of the 25-year-old's situation. "Galliani has said that for now he does not deserve [to stay].

"If you have the chance to play you must exploit it to the maximum. It depends on Balotelli and if the club approves it, then the coach comes last and can give the OK.

"It could be a great opportunity for him [Balotelli] as [it is] for everyone else," he said of the final weeks of the season.

"Balotelli knows he must take advantage of these seven to eight games regardless of how many minutes he plays."

Pirlo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Allegri rules Dybala out of Milan clash

8 April 2016

1049686header.jpg

Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri has confirmed Paulo Dybala will not be fit to face AC Milan in Serie A on Saturday as the Argentine forward continues his recovery from a thigh strain.

Dybala picked up the problem in Juve's 4-1 derby win at Torino on March 20 and, although the 20-year-old has resumed training, the trip to San Siro will arrive too soon for him to be involved.

Allegri, who will be going up against the team he coached to the Scudetto in 2010-11, insisted Milan, sixth in the table, deserve more respect as they struggle in their bid to qualify for European competition.

"This team has some important technical values, recognized by all," he said of the Rossoneri, who are without a win in four Serie A matches.

"Milan is a good team, do not talk of a crisis. They are in the Coppa Italia final and [will] fight for Europe... it's up to us to produce a great performance."

Allegri had been frequently linked with the Chelsea job in recent months, but the Premier League club this week appointed Antonio Conte, his predecessor at Juve.

Conte, the Italy coach, will move to Stamford Bridge after his country's involvement in Euro 2016 ends, with Allegri wishing his compatriot and colleague well.

"Envy is not part of my character," he said.

"Conte will do well abroad and before that I hope he will do well with the national team. Italian coaches ... are generally very well prepared [to succeed]."

Allegri, who is likely to select striker Mario Mandzukic and young defender Daniele Rugani against Milan, acknowledged it will be another emotional return to his former club after guiding Juve to a 1-0 win in the corresponding fixture at San Siro last season.

"I was there for three-and-a-half years, it comes down to personal relationships as well as professional. The same will be true for Juve, when I leave."

Juve go into the game in first place, six points clear of nearest challengers Napoli, who are at home to Hellas Verona on Sunday.

Chiellini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mancini denies reports of Premier League offers

8 April 2016

1049570header.jpg

Inter head coach Roberto Mancini claims rumours linking him with a move away from the club are not true.

Reports in England and Italy this week have suggested the 51-year-old is ready to walk away from San Siro before the final year of his contract in order to take up a role elsewhere.

Mancini was rumoured to be keen on the Arsenal job should Arsene Wenger leave the Emirates Stadium, but he insists he has no concerns over his immediate future and has not received any enquiries.

"I've had no offers from abroad and everything that's been written and said is untrue," Mancini said on Friday.

"Coaches are related to their results, it's borne out of the working situation. But I have one more year on my contract and so I'm not worried."

When asked about the prospect of a bid for Yaya Toure, whose agent has claimed will leave Manchester City at the end of the season, Mancini refused to discuss transfer rumours.

"I think it's premature to talk about players coming in. Let's focus on the games, we'll see in the summer," he said.

"I'm not worried about the transfer window, even if they have to sell big players. In football you can do well even without spending huge amounts."

Inter head to Frosinone on Saturday looking for a win that could close the eight-point gap to Roma and keep their slim hopes of Champions League qualification alive.

"There are 21 points available so we can't afford to let our motivation drop," Mancini said. "As long as points can be played for, you can't give up on the Champions League, even though it's extremely difficult.

"We made a few too many mistakes away from home. We lost the continuity we had at home, but it's time to change that. If there's even a small hope, we must think we can take it.

"Sometimes you think that a reconstruction project can be done more quickly than you expected. We're on the right path, even though we're still some way off.

"We spent half the championship in first place, so it can't have been all bad. We need greater strength, but that just takes time, patience and hard work."

Pirlo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Palermo coach Novellino confirms his sacking

11 April 2016

1051717header.jpg

Walter Novellino confirmed he has been sacked by Palermo after just one month in charge of the Serie A outfit.

Novellino, 62, replaced Beppe Iachini in March, who lasted just three weeks in the role after agreeing to return for a second spell at the helm during the current campaign.

However, after a 3-0 home loss to Lazio on Sunday, Novellino was told his services were no longer needed at the Stadio Renzo Barbera.

"I can confirm that I've been relieved of my duties," Novellino toldCalciomercato.it.

"I can only say that I'm very sad and disappointed. I'd like to thank the lads, the fans and the management."

Novellino's sacking means Palermo have made nine managerial changes this season alone, and 36 in the 14 years Maurizio Zamparini has owned the club.

Davide Ballardini, who was sacked as Palermo coach in January after a bust-up with captain Stefano Sorrentino, is expected to take over for the rest of the 2015-16 season.

Palermo are sitting in the relegation zone with six games left in the campaign, equal on points with 17th-placed Carpi, who edge them on goal difference.

Maicon

Alfrescian
Loyal

Liverpool target Zielinski confirms contact and Klopp interest

11 April 2016

1051755header.jpg

On-loan Empoli midfielder Piotr Zielinski confirmed contact has been made with Liverpool over a move to the Premier League.

Jurgen Klopp is reportedly an admirer of Zielinski and the 21-year-old Poland international confirmed the Liverpool manager's interest, though he said he has not spoken directly with the German.

Zielinski, who is on loan from fellow Serie A outfit Udinese, scored his fourth goal of the season as Empoli defeated Fiorentina 2-0 on Sunday and he insisted he is solely focused on club and country duties ahead of Euro 2016, starting in June.

"There is a lot of truth in [talk of] the interest of coach Jurgen Klopp in me," Zielinski told Sportowe Fakty.

"There was contact between the clubs, I do not deny this, but personally I have not spoken to coach Klopp.

"I do not want to preoccupy myself now, when we have a few more games to play at Empoli, then there will be the European Championships.

"The club and the national team are now the most important."

Pirlo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Higuain suspension reduced to three matches

15 April 2016 17:20

1053879header.jpg

Gonzalo Higuain has had his four-match suspension reduced to a three-game ban, meaning he will be available for Napoli's crucial match against Roma.

The Argentina international was punished for his red card and subsequent furious display of dissent during the Serie A side's 3-1 defeat at Udinese on April 3.

Higuain has already served one match of his ban when Napoli defeated Verona 3-0 and will also miss upcoming league games against Inter and Bolgona.

Following the verdict on his appeal, though, he will be available for the clash between Napoli - who are second in the table - and third-placed Roma on April 25.

"The appeal of Napoli's Gonzalo Higuain has been partially accepted," read the FIGC's statement.

"The National Sport Court of Appeal has reduced his disqualification from four matches to three and confirmed his fine of €20,000."

Higuain, 28, has enjoyed a stunning season for Napoli and scored 30 goals in his 31 Serie A appearances.

Maicon

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sampdoria v AC Milan: Brocchi tenure begins after Mihajlovic dismissal

15 April 2016 18:27

1053912header.jpg

Cristian Brocchi's impact on AC Milan may not be evident in Sunday's visit to Sampdoria, but Christian Abbiati is confident his long-time friend will ultimately make his mark.

After Sinisa Mihajlovic was sacked on Tuesday, Brocchi was promoted from the role of Under-19s coach until the end of the season and he takes charge of a side who are without a win in five Serie A matches.

That run has scuppered long-standing hopes of securing Champions League football, but a Europa League berth is still up for grabs under Brocchi's guidance.

Veteran Abbiati told Milan Channel: "It's 20 years that I've known him now. There's always been a strong bond between us. Brocchi came to Milan in 2001 and for years we shared a room together along with [Gennaro] Gattuso.

"A lot of people came to talk in our room and went away uplifted. Milan was really the strongest team in the world at the time.

"Cristian puts passion into everything he does, he has so much humility and he was a rock on the pitch.

"The experience will be positive for him, even if it won't be easy. He's someone who takes on any challenge and hopes to win.

"The coach is starting to work on his ideas of the game. It won't be easy to see his ideas on the pitch as soon as Sunday, but I hope they'll come through as soon as possible."

Milan were competitive in each of the five winless matches that preceded Mihajlovic's dismissal after 10 months at the helm, even leading against champions and table toppers Juventus before falling to a 2-1 loss last time out.

Recent history is on their side against this weekend's opponents, though, with Milan having beaten Sampdoria 4-1 in the league and 2-0 in the Coppa Italia already this season, the latter fixture played at the Stadio Luigi Ferraris.

Those results came amid the first of two eight-match winless streaks that have seriously hampered Sampdoria's progress this season.

Vincenzo Montella's men sit 14th, having achieved seventh last term under Mihajlovic, and there is pressure on the former Italy striker to deliver some consolation with a strong finish.

The visitors could face a Milan side deprived of the services of a flu-stricken Luiz Adriano, while Brazilian midfielder Fernando will hope to be given a start by Montella after he came off the bench to score in the 2-0 victory over Udinese on Sunday.

Key Opta Stats:

- Milan are unbeaten against Sampdoria in the last six league meetings between these two sides (W3, D3).

- Sampdoria have lost only one of the last six home league games against Milan (W2, D3).

- Sampdoria have lost only one of their last six league games, while in the previous eight they lost six times.

- Sampdoria have kept a clean sheet in three of their last four Serie A home games – they only kept two clean sheets in the previous 12.

- Milan have gained only two points in their last five league games: their last six game winless run was back in February 2002.

Pirlo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Brocchi demands courage from Milan

20 April 2016

1056718header.jpg

Cristian Brocchi has called on AC Milan to overcome their mental barriers when they take on Carpi at San Siro on Thursday.

Brocchi led Milan to their first win in six games in his first match in charge at Sampdoria on Sunday, having replaced Sinisa Mihajlovic.

Milan now meet Carpi as they look to cement Europa League qualification and Brocchi has called for a brave performance against relegation-threatened opposition.

"The first test is mental," Brocchi said at a news conference. "Milan must show courage. It is in our DNA. We have to take the game to the opposition.

"We have to be ready for battle. There are no excuses. It could be difficult or a bit easier if we continue on the same path as against Juventus and Sampdoria.

"I am pleased for the players and they look eager and motivated. That has relaxed me. It is all a matter of focus and understanding what you can achieve. We did that against Sampdoria and I want to see it again against Carpi.

"From our point of view we must have the same hunger and quality. We have to show a desire to win.

"I want to make progress which will help us from here to the end of the season. I want the team playing positive football. It is also a mental thing and the players need to believe in themselves and go out there to win."

Brocchi also had his say on the situation of Mario Balotelli, who has expressed his desire to remain at the club once his loan deal expires, and the coach has high hopes the Liverpool loanee can shine in the weeks to come.

"As with the other players I have spoken to Balotelli to get to know him and for him to get to know me," Brocchi added. "I need to understand what players can give me.

"He is different from the person who arrived in the summer, when you look him in the eye he has something real and profound. A look says a lot, I expect positive things."

Chiellini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Moratti: Inter made a mistake appointing Benitez

20 April 2016

1056520header.jpg

Former Inter president Massimo Moratti has admitted it was a mistake to replace Jose Mourinho with Rafael Benitez when the Portuguese coach left the club for Real Madrid in 2010.

Mourinho had just won the treble with Inter when he departed for the Spanish capital, ending a two-year association with the Italian giants.

And Moratti has admitted he went after the wrong coach, criticising Benitez for the way he tried to distance the club from the memories of the treble-winning season.

"We went after the wrong coach," Moratti told reporters.

"Benitez was alert and prepared, a great connoisseur of football, but there was a huge difference in terms of his character and how he communicated with club.

"Benitez felt the weight of wanting to win everything, but asked that everything that happened in the past be forgotten.

"We were afraid to look back and be proud of what we had done.

"We could not celebrate, and so there was no longer the enthusiasm of the previous season."

Benitez, who is managing Newcastle United in the Premier League, was appointed as Inter coach in June 2010 and sacked in December, after turning Mourinho's treble winners into hopeless title chasers, 13 points off the league leaders.

The club have struggled since but have enjoyed an improved season under former Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini.

Mancini had Inter flying high at the start of the season, but a mid-season capitulation has seen the club fall to fourth, some 18 points off Juventus in first.

But still, fighting for Champions League qualification is a marked improvement on recent seasons for Inter and Moratti is hopeful of bigger and better things under Mancini.

"We believe and we remain hopeful," Moratti said. "Mancini [battled back] in England … and he can do it again."

Chiellini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Malaysian prince denies AC Milan takeover bid

silvio-berlusconi-cropped_eaf1z5pfytoq11gncw6lflqjz.jpg

By Joe Wright
Apr 25, 2016 12:47:01

Tunku Ismail Ibni Sultan Ibrahim, Crown Prince of Johor, has denied he is about to launch a bid to buy the Italian giants from Italy's former Prime Minister

The Crown Prince of Johor has denied launching a bid to buy AC Milan from Silvio Berlusconi.

Tunku Ismail Sultan Ibrahim, a member of the royal family of the Malaysian state and chairman of the Johor Darul Takzim (JDT) club, was quoted in an interview with The Straits Times as saying he would be keen on a takeover at San Siro.

However, the 31-year-old has since issued a statement via JDT's Facebook page to clarify that owning Milan, a club he has supported since he was young, is simply "one of his dreams".

He also insisted he does not possess the wealth to make a takeover possible and would be hesitant to take charge of Milan during an era of Serie A dominance enjoyed by Juventus.

"Recently I've been interviewed by the Straits Times Singapore regarding my accomplishments with JDT and other goals in life in general," he said.

"I was also asked if I have any interest in buying a foreign club. My exact answer was yes. If I have to pick a club, it would have to be Milan. That's one of my dreams. But it doesn't mean I'm going to buy it. It's just a club that I've adored since I was young. That's all.

"So to answer any speculations, the answer is 'No. I'm not buying Milan'. I don't have money to buy Milan. I'm not rich like other Malaysian businessmen. I'm just a young man with a dream and big ambitions that's all.

"My club JDT can't even beat Kedah and other Malaysian teams. I'm not going to take Milan having to go head on with Juventus and other Italian giants. I simply dare not. My club is only JDT. A small club with big ambitions."

In his interview, Tunku Ismail had said: "I'm planning to buy AC Milan but we'll see how it goes. I love Milan, I have always loved Italian clubs since I was young.

"In doing research and discussion [stage] but we'll see how it goes, I think the target is always JDT but if I can buy a club in Europe it'll be AC Milan."

Milan president Silvio Berlusconi said last week that he is looking to sell the club, but only to "stable and secure hands".

Negotiations with Thai businessman Bee Taechaubol have failed to progress in recent months, and Italian finance broker Salvatore Galatioto, president of Galatioto Sports Partners, said this month that an unnamed Chinese consortium had "big ambitions and is very, very interested in the club".

Maicon

Alfrescian
Loyal

Juventus crowned Serie A champions after Napoli slip up

3040492_heroa.jpg

Apr 25, 2016 15:55:00

The Old Lady have secured a fifth successive Scudetto after the second-placed Partenopei were beaten by a last-minute winner against Roma, meaning Juve cannot be caught

Juventus have claimed their fifth successive Serie A title after closest rivals Napoli fell to a 1-0 defeat to Roma on Monday afternoon, ending their slim hopes of catching the Turin outfit.

After an early season blip which saw them pick up just one point from their opening three games, Max Allegri's side have been in stunning form, unbeaten in their last 25 league matches and drawing only one of those against Bologna.

That run has seen them rocket to the top of the table and they remain 12 points clear of Napoli after the Partenopei failed to close the gap, meaning, with three games to spare, Juve are champions again.

Napoli were undone by an 89th-minute winner from Radja Nainggolan as Roma won an entertaining clash at Stadio Olimpico, meaning Juventus' 2-1 victory over Fiorentina on Sunday was enough to secure the title.

Juventus currently have 85 points and are on course to eclipse their points tally from last season, while summer signing Paulo Dybala leads their scoring charts with 16 goals - ranking him second in Serie A behind Napoli's Gonzalo Higuain (30).

Veteran goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon also played a key role in Juventus' success, keeping 20 clean sheets in 34 games and setting a new mark of 973 minutes without conceding along the way.

Juventus meet Carpi, Verona and Sampdoria in their remaining three Serie A games, before they take on AC Milan in the Coppa Italia final on May 21 as they chase the domestic double.

Pirlo

Alfrescian
Loyal

AC Milan announce €89.3m loss

adrianogalliani-cropped_1p26h5paiigwl1pm45936xe6u8.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Apr 28, 2016 20:49:52

The Serie A side have spent big on the likes of Alessio Romagnoli and Carlos Bacca over the last year as they continue their fight to return to the top of Italian football

AC Milan have recorded a loss of €89.3 million over the financial year 2015, with holding company Fininvest vowing to cover the deficit in its entirety.

The Serie A outfit spent big in the transfer market ahead of the 2015-16 campaign, with the signings of Alessio Romagnoli, Carlos Bacca, Luiz Adriano and Andrea Bertolacci costing in excess of €80m.

But their investments have yet to pay off as they currently sit sixth in Serie A.

"Milan announced a loss of €89.3m over the financial year 2015 at Thursday’s shareholders' meeting at Casa Milan," a statement on the club's official website reads.

"Holding company Fininvest will cover the loss entirely."

Cristian Brocchi's men face a battle in the final weeks of the campaign for Serie A's final European place, but joint CEO Adriano Galliani has stressed the board of directors are determined to turn things around.

"The club has a long-term strategic plan with regards to Financial Fair Play," Galliani commented.

"The Casa Milan project is part of a strategy to diversify revenue streams. Casa Milan has received 600,000 visitors and brought in €6.4m in revenue so far and this is considered to be a more than positive outcome.

"An owned stadium remains one of the strategic objectives. The costs relating to San Siro include the redevelopment of the stadium that will allow us to host the Champions League final.

"We cannot make comparisons between clubs floated on the stock exchange.

"In sport there are positive and negative cycles. The board of directors are doing everything to overturn the trend."

Inler

Alfrescian
Loyal

There cannot be two coaches of Inter - Mancini

28 April 2016

1061288header.jpg

Roberto Mancini insists there cannot be two coaches of Inter after Diego Simeone hinted the Serie A is a preferred destination for his next managerial job.

Simeone, who played for Inter between 1997 and 1999, suggested he would be interested in coaching the Italian club after he leaves Atletico Madrid.

Mancini said he would be happy to see Simeone take over at Inter, but not until he is finished at the club.

"Diego was one of my team-mates at Lazio and I also coached him," the Italian told Premium Sport.

"If one day he'll join Inter I'll be happy, but there can't be two coaches now.

"We'll see when I'll leave."

Mancini also responded to rumours he is one of the favourites to take over from Chelsea-bound Antonio Conte as Italy national team boss.

"Becoming Italy national team coach is not something that happens every day," he said.

"It is a different job, but it can be as exciting and stimulating. I think that when one is offered the national team job he has to accept, if there is a chance."

Pirlo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Balotelli is a changed man, says Galliani

2 May 2016

1063882header.jpg

Mario Balotelli phoned Adriano Galliani to say sorry for his penalty miss immediately after AC Milan's 3-3 home draw against struggling Frosinone, the club CEO has confirmed.

A thrilling Serie A encounter on Sunday saw Francesco Bardi save the striker's penalty, while he later hit the crossbar in stoppage-time after Jeremy Menez had netted with a spot-kick of his own to rescue a point for Cristian Brocchi's men at San Siro.

Balotelli is on-loan from Liverpool and bidding to win a permanent move to Milan, with Galliani believing the 25-year-old's apology shows he is a changed man.

"To give you an idea of how much Balotelli has changed, I will tell you that yesterday, 15 or 20 minutes after the game he called me and apologised for having missed the penalty," Galliani told reporters.

"He was unlucky - he missed the penalty and hit the bar in the 94th minute."

Balotelli has only scored once from 19 Serie A appearances in a season which has seen him struggle for fitness.

Chiellini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Stankovic: Simeone will coach Inter, but not now

2 May 2016

1063668header.jpg

Inter director Dejan Stankovic believes Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone will return to coach the Italian club but not now, with Roberto Mancini "here to stay".

Simeone and the Inter coaching job has been the topic of discussion after the former midfielder hinted at a return to the San Siro last month.

Stankovic, however, is not expecting to see Simeone back in Milan anytime soon, despite Mancini's failure to secure Champions League football.

"This is already the fourth time we've talked about this," Stankovic told Mediaset Premium.

"Perhaps a day will come when he arrives, but not tomorrow or next year, maybe in a few years.

"Mancini is here to stay."

Inter are fourth in Serie A following Sunday's 2-0 loss to Lazio, seven points behind third-placed Roma.

As for Simeone's Atletico, they are level on points with La Liga leaders Barcelona with two matches remaining.

The Spanish capital club also enjoy a 1-0 lead against Bayern Munich in their Champions League semi-final tie.

Maicon

Alfrescian
Loyal

De Laurentiis wants Sarri at Napoli long term

2 May 2016

1063851header.jpg

Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has affirmed the club's commitment to coach Maurizio Sarri for the long term.

Reports in the Italian media claimed Napoli would seek a replacement for Sarri should he fail to guide the team to second place in Serie A.

A 1-0 defeat to Roma last Monday reduced their advantage over Luciano Spalletti's third-placed side to just two points.

But De Laurentiis has moved to refute suggestions the former Empoli boss could be set for the axe at the San Paolo, insisting he wants to retain his services for the foreseeable future.

"Aurelio De Laurentiis categorically denies the reports by Teletext suggesting that Maurizio Sarri could be replaced with another coach should he not secure second position," an official Napoli statement read.

"The president confirms that Napoli has started on a long path together with Sarri for many years, as the coach successfully brought a beautiful and entertaining game that is rarely seen on football fields."

Chiellini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bologna v Milan: De Sciglio targeting European qualification

5 May 2016

1065722header.jpg

Mattia De Sciglio insists AC Milan are fully focused on sealing a European return through their Serie A league position, rather than depending on beating Juventus in the Coppa Italia final.

Milan travel to Bologna on Saturday having won only one of their last nine matches and slipped to seventh in the table, a point behind Sassuolo, with only two games to play before the end of the season.

Cristian Brocchi's side will qualify for the Europa League if they defeat Serie A champions Juventus in the Coppa Italia showpiece.

However, if Milan lose, that place will go to whichever team finishes sixth in the league, with De Sciglio keen to get the job done at the first attempt.

"There is great desire," the defender told Milan Channel. "We can't afford to risk the possibility of playing in Europe only via the Coppa Italia.

"Our first goal is to get there through the league. We have to take back sixth place.

"We've been out of Europe for three years now and for a club like Milan that can't happen."

Andrea Bertolacci has continued to train as he steps up his recovery from a muscle injury, while Giacomo Bonaventura (hamstring) has had an individual training session and the Bologna game could come too soon for him. M'Baye Niang (ankle) and Luca Antonelli (calf) are definitely out.

Milan's last visit to the Dall'Ara saw them score a pair of late goals to secure a 3-3 draw, while Bologna won the reverse fixture 1-0 at the San Siro in January thanks to Emanuele Giaccherini.

Bologna's general manager Marco Di Vaio is hoping the club can afford to buy Giaccherini from Sunderland at the end of the season when his loan deal expires, as the 31-year-old only has a year left on his contract at the Premier League club.

"Signing Giaccherini permanently does not depend only on Sunderland, who don't need the money, but it comes a lot down to the player and how successful he is in making the English club understand what he wants to do," Di Vaio told Radio Bruno.

Giaccherini has a terrific record against Milan, scoring his first Serie A goal against the club in September 2010. He has also won five of the six times he has played against Milan and has enjoyed a solid season with Bologna, scoring seven league goals in 26 league appearances.

Bologna, who have failed to score in eight of their last 11 league games, will still be without striker Mattia Destro (finger), while Luca Rizzo (muscle) and Archimede Morleo (arm) are also out, with Franco Zuculini (knee) a doubt.

Key Opta Stats:

- Bologna are winless against Milan at the Dall'Ara since March 2002 – the Rossoneri have alternated between a win and a draw over the last six league clashes at Bologna's ground (3-3 in the most recent meeting).
- Bologna have won only one of their last 11 league matches (D5 L5).
- Milan are the team to have scored the joint-most Serie A goals versus Bologna in Serie A, 210 (along with Inter).
- Milan have allowed six goals from direct free-kicks in the league this season, more than any other team.

- Mario Balotelli has found the back of the net in each of the four Serie A games he has played versus Bologna: three goals in Inter's shirt, one with AC Milan.

Maicon

Alfrescian
Loyal

Verona v Juventus: Asamoah wants to keep pushing

6 May 2016

1066266header.jpg

Kwadwo Asamoah has urged Juventus to keep giving their all in the remainder of the Serie A season as they prepare to take on Verona on Sunday.

Massimiliano Allegri's men have already clinched the Scudetto, but their season is by no means over just yet at they meet AC Milan in the Coppa Italia final in two weeks' time.

But matches against Verona and Sampdoria are on Juve's agenda first and Asamoah has stressed the champions cannot afford to take anything for granted.

"I'm delighted to be back in the action and working with the rest of the squad every day. I want to keep winning titles here," Asamoah told Sky Italia.

"My goal is to win back-to-back domestic doubles. Lifting the Coppa Italia again would be a great achievement but we're not taking anything for granted.

"Enjoying this much success takes a lot of hard work and I'm proud of what we have achieved.

"I would probably say that this latest league title was the hardest and therefore the most satisfying of the lot. We realised what was required for us to become champions.

"The only way is up with Allegri at the helm, we are becoming a very good outfit under his guidance. He is a fantastic coach who builds great relationships with his players on and off the field. "

Asamoah is likely to feature from the start on Sunday as Juventus are without Stephan Lichtsteiner, Mario Mandzukic, Paul Pogba and Hernanes due to suspension, while Sami Khedira and Claudio Marchisio are unavailable due to injury.

Verona, meanwhile, have little left to play for as their relegation to Serie B has already been confirmed.

They will be keen to end their disappointing season on a high, though, and Luca Toni's retirement after Sunday's encounter will serve as extra motivation to spring a surprise.

The 38-year-old announced this week that he will hang up his boots after the game following a career that saw him wear the shirts of major clubs such as Fiorentina, Bayern Munich, Roma, Juve and Italy.

Toni did not feature against his old team when they last met in January, with Juventus recording a 3-0 win in Turin, but he is likely to get playing time on this occasion as he aims to end his goalless streak.

The veteran striker has not found the net since the 3-1 win over Chievo on February 20.

Key Opta facts:

- Juventus are unbeaten against Verona in Serie A since April 2000.

- Verona have lost four of their last five Serie A games, winning the other fixture at home against Milan.

- Juventus have conceded only 18 goals in Serie A this season - the league record is the 20 shipped by Juve in 2011-12.

- Luca Toni has gone 559 minutes without a goal in Serie A.

- Gianlugi Buffon has equalled his personal best of clean sheets kept in a single Serie A campaign (21, in 2011-12).

Maicon

Alfrescian
Loyal

Toni almost came to blows with Van Gaal

9 May 2016

1067749header.jpg

Luca Toni revealed he almost came to blows with Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal when he played under the Dutchman at Bayern Munich.

Hellas Verona striker Toni, 38, is calling time on his playing days at the end of the 2015-16 season after a 22-year professional career.

The 2006 World Cup winner made the decision after a "terrible" season with Verona, with the club already relegated to the Serie B.

Toni's relationship under Verona coach Luigi Delneri was a complicated one, but the forward admitted he had played under worse in his storied career.

"[Delneri and I] didn't get along very well, that's for sure," Toni told Italian TV after helping Verona to a 2-1 win over Italian champions Juventus on Sunday.

"But it is not nice talking about it now. In any case we cleared the air.

"In the past I had much worse misunderstandings with Van Gaal when I was playing at Bayern Munich.

"Back then we almost came to blows."

As for what the future holds for Toni, the two-time Bundesliga winner said he does not envisage going down the coaching path.

"I have seen my former team-mates age five years every 12 months since they became coaches," he said. "I'd prefer to do something in a directorial role.

"I will speak to Verona and the president, because I still owe the city something. I'd like to help this club get back into Serie A, because it is where they deserve to be.

"If not then I’ll look around for something to do, because I doubt my wife wants me hanging around the house too much."