• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Minister : $1250 expenditure for family of 4 is sufficient

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Yes income taxs and corporate taxs are one of the lowest among first world country but what about HDB price , COE ...ect ? By the way you haven show us how $1250 enough to support a family of 4 ?

HDB 99-year BTOs are subsidized. Try buying on the resale market, where people are willing to pay a lot more for a HDB apartment with not more than 94 years on the lease.

COE prices may be high, but it is not compulsory for you to buy a car. I know of families with young kids who made do without a car for years. They are happy that they saved a ton of cash. It's the same with GST. Not happy with 7% GST, buy less stuff.

$1250 a month is manageable for a family of four. Eat at home more often, drink and smoke less, have cheap hobbies, eat less often at restaurants and pay your bills promptly to avoid late charges.

Tuayapeh

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
HDB 99-year BTOs are subsidized. Try buying on the resale market, where people are willing to pay a lot more for a HDB apartment with not more than 94 years on the lease.

COE prices may be high, but it is not compulsory for you to buy a car. I know of families with young kids who made do without a car for years. They are happy that they saved a ton of cash. It's the same with GST. Not happy with 7% GST, buy less stuff.

$1250 a month is manageable for a family of four. Eat at home more often, drink and smoke less, have cheap hobbies, eat less often at restaurants and pay your bills promptly to avoid late charges.

$200 per person for transport x 4 = $800
Electric bill water bill ( lets say $200 per month ) $200
Food for a month ( let's say $300 per month ) $300

So which means you don't have money for kids school fees , see doctor when sick , buy stationary for kids ...

BTO are subsidized ? Let me give you an easy example I overcharge you $30000 for your iPhone 6 plus and I give you 10% discount . Do you still think it's cheap ? :wink:

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

So which means you don't have money for kids school fees , see doctor when sick , buy stationary for kids ...

BTO are subsidized ? Let me give you an easy example I overcharge you $30000 for your iPhone 6 plus and I give you 10% discount . Do you still think it's cheap ? :wink:

If the family is earning about $1250 a month,

- they probably are already receiving rebates for utilities,
- kids receive bursary which subsidizes school fees and expenses
- can also apply for financial assistance if they need, from the school or grassroots. We do provide such services

Given that resale flats can cost between $50-100k more than an equivalent BTO, your BTOs are indeed subsidized!!! People are willing to pay a huge premium over a BTO, which makes BTO prices artificially suppressed by government intervention. If that is not subsidized, what is?

I have yet to meet a sinkie who bought a flat at BTO and then resold it at BTO level prices because he feels resale prices are too darn high! No. All sinkies aspire to buy at BTO price, and then resell it as resale price to pocket the difference. When sinkies complain that BTO prices are too high, they are simply complaining that their profit margin from selling off their BTO is not as high as they expect it to be. That's pretty selfish on their part, and they should not blame it on PAP.

Tuayapeh

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
B

- can also apply for financial assistance if they need, from the school or grassroots. We do provide such services

Given that resale flats can cost between $50-100k more than an equivalent BTO, your BTOs are indeed subsidized!!! People are willing to pay a huge premium over a BTO, which makes BTO prices artificially suppressed by government intervention. If that is not subsidized, what is?

I have yet to meet a sinkie who bought a flat at BTO and then resold it at BTO level prices because he feels resale prices are too darn high! No. All sinkies aspire to buy at BTO price, and then resell it as resale price to pocket the difference. When sinkies complain that BTO prices are too high, they are simply complaining that their profit margin from selling off their BTO is not as high as they expect it to be. That's pretty selfish on their part, and they should not blame it on PAP.

So now you are saying asking the government for help in other words $1250 is not enough am I right ? :wink:
How many BTO are there now ? The supply is lower then the demand . There are conditions if you want your government subsidized your BTO :wink: and if you use your cpf to pay for your BTO you don't really earn when you sell it because it goes back to your CPF which is locked :wink:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
$1250 a month is plenty of money for a family of four. The money can last a longer time if the kids do not insist on getting the latest handphone models or the parents feasting at restaurants for their meals.

If that is the case, perhaps, it appears to be one alternative to improve on the $1,250.00, if we peg the Ministers' salaries as well as the top civil servants, to about 20 to 25 times that amount of $1,250 per month, because $25,000 per month is more than sufficient for the Ministers since they are there to serve.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Can I sell you my BTO flat for a $50k profit? I not greedy.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I believe that no matter how frugal an individual or family is, $300 per month for food is not enough.
It is probably closer to $800 to $1,000 per month to buy nutritious and balanced items to prepare meals at home.

I suggest that the public transport companies introduce a monthly unlimited ride pass on the MRT and buses, for all students at $60.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I believe that no matter how frugal an individual or family is, $300 per month for food is not enough.
It is probably closer to $800 to $1,000 per month to buy nutritious and balanced items to prepare meals at home.

i have dined healthily in sg for $10 a day or $300 a month. with so much healthy and readily prepared food in sg, there's no need to buy groceries and cook them at home. just cut down on the number of meals, the grotesque abundance and variety of dishes when a sinkie goes out to eat and size of meals, and cost can be controlled plus associated health benefits that cum with smaller portions and lower number of meals per day. sometimes, either a glass of fruit juice or couple slices of fruit is one meal to me. i don't understand why sinkies must gouge on so many dishes per meal.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i have dined healthily in sg for $10 a day or $300 a month. with so much healthy and readily prepared food in sg, there's no need to buy groceries and cook them at home. just cut down on the number of meals, the grotesque abundance and variety of dishes when a sinkie goes out to eat and size of meals, and cost can be controlled plus associated health benefits that cum with smaller portions and lower number of meals per day. sometimes, either a glass of fruit juice or couple slices of fruit is one meal to me. i don't understand why sinkies must gouge on so many dishes per meal.

Good for you, but I believe that not many adults consider a fruit juice or some fruit as a sufficient meal for lunch or dinner.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

They will tell you, no air conditioners, no microwave ovens, no ovens, no induction cooker, use less of the computer, watch less movies on whatever devices...that will cut the electricity usage to $100 per mont...same with the water, go find outside to bathe, like the swimming pools, can even shit there for free...that will cut, water usage to around $60.

Eat instant noodle, or cook cheap at home, no MacD, or even call, no Din Tai Fung, no KOPITIAM, transportation try to walk instead of using the public transport...etc...& you feel, you are suffering to maintain a $1,250 budget for your home & your mind is echoing on a promise by a PM, that you have a "SWISS STANDARD OF LIVING", when you are struggling to make ends meet, never mind not getting sick...in short, floundering.

It is time to ponder that whom had you voted for , that placed you in that situation??....& you still think, that, all these sufferings, this is noble...well!, nobody can stop you from having "a hell" in "heaven"?

why did you vote? & whom did you vote?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Might as well be an animal....so poor thing, cannot even afford a meal...

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Might as well be an animal....so poor thing, cannot even afford a meal...

i share a room in bedok with 2 others, and do odd jobs to survive. when i'm free, which happens most of the time, i walk around bedok reservoir looking for poor peeps like me. :o

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
They will tell you, no air conditioners, no microwave ovens, no ovens, no induction cooker, use less of the computer, watch less movies on whatever devices...that will cut the electricity usage to $100 per mont...same with the water, go find outside to bathe, like the swimming pools, can even shit there for free...that will cut, water usage to around $60.

Eat instant noodle, or cook cheap at home, no MacD, or even call, no Din Tai Fung, no KOPITIAM, transportation try to walk instead of using the public transport...etc...& you feel, you are suffering to maintain a $1,250 budget for your home & your mind is echoing on a promise by a PM, that you have a "SWISS STANDARD OF LIVING", when you are struggling to make ends meet, never mind not getting sick...in short, floundering.

It is time to ponder that whom had you voted for , that placed you in that situation??....& you still think, that, all these sufferings, this is noble...well!, nobody can stop you from having "a hell" in "heaven"?

why did you vote? & whom did you vote?

like living in PRC?

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
$1250 a month is plenty of money for a family of four. The money can last a longer time if the kids do not insist on getting the latest handphone models or the parents feasting at restaurants for their meals.

I hope you are earning this amount ($1250) and it should be sufficient for you
if you don't loud mouth around!

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal

$10/- per day on food seems about right. Eat Brunch and dinner, $5/- each at hawker centre. If u cook, even cheaper if there r 4-5 of you.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
like living in PRC?

To give them some credit, they have "improved"...it was worse than living in the slums of KL, with the help they were giving. I was helping some POOR people, not those 'poor' people; really down & out, to get assistance.

It was $800 for a family of four, have to beg like beggars to get the $60 utilities voucher from the MP office, MP no time to see you, but you get the porlumpars...unless there is no media usage or some publicity, you get the barest help, unless you are " GUESS THE RACE"; ah!...a little special.

Of course the family can apply for free food, from a temple...etc..but $800 for a family of four...ahh!, to cook, the smallest chicken from the market cost $4.50...the rest, you burn wood & paper to cook...ha ha ha :biggrin: :mad:

Now, it is $1,250....give them credit, they have "improved"...but cost have " improved " too...for example, the mini buns of 6, from the confectionery near me, used to cost $1.50 then to $1.80 - $2....just two weeks ago, I bought the same thing, smaller buns, $2.50...two days ago...same thing...$3 . how could inflation figures be so low?

For a packet of small buns of 6, it was 20% increase...so had the lowest chicken rice stall too, from $2.20 to $3.00, a increase of 36%....& so have others...

$1,250 for a family of 4...sure...they have "improved"..give them credit...but half ball bala..will ask you, for your dining experience...:rolleyes::mad:

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
In Australia, a cleaner earns $3000 as an average salary per month... This is called first world... U k ow why sinkieland cannot be real first world.. Because it is run by 3rd world PAP morons.

If australia had imported millions of banglas, they would have saved billions like what the PAP did.