• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chinese troops training in -40ºC temperatures!

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What type of oil do those tanks use ? Most oils get viscous at around Minus 40 degrees C or so I was told.

Most cold-weather diesel can only go down to -40ºC. For colder temperatures, I think they use some kind of kerosene-based fuel with low octane rating.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Unlike the Sherpas who are acclimatized to the high altitude thin air, I believe that it is difficult to acclimatized to minus 30C to minus 40C weather.
I have lived in Toronto for more than three decades, and will not get used to the minus 30C weather, as in this unusually extended extreme cold winter.
Ask the Inuit ("Eskimo"), and they will probably tell you that it is not about being acclimatized, but to dress warmly in several layers.

It's not so bad once you spend a few years there e.g. Edmonton. What is unpleasant is the cold wind blowing against one's face.

Had a hard time re-adjusting to the humidity in Spore. Would take cold showers because it felt hot & had to have the aircon on at full blast. Took me years to re-adjust to local conditions.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What type of oil do those tanks use ? Most oils get viscous at around Minus 40 degrees C or so I was told.

If you live in temperate climates you have to use thinner(lower viscosity) oil such as 10w-40 or 5w-40. Even with a lower viscosity oil you will find that when you 1st start your car in winter, the gears will be very stiff. You need to run the car for a few minutes before they unfreeze.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was in Khao Meng Camp in Kanchanaburi in March. Air temp was 38ºC, but it was close to 47ºC inside the M113. Hell.

I been saiyok twice, once in December, hot like hell while the second trip in February, much cooler but still hot. keep buying the coconut ice cream from the thai mobile s4 whenever the convoy stop. dunno why, I think the coconut ice cream from kanchanaburi taste much much nicer than bangcock. convoying inside the m113 really feel like kenna roasting in an oven.

swift and decisive.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you live in temperate climates you have to use thinner(lower viscosity) oil such as 10w-40 or 5w-40. Even with a lower viscosity oil you will find that when you 1st start your car in winter, the gears will be very stiff. You need to run the car for a few minutes before they unfreeze.

that is just motor oil, no point can start engine when the weapon lubricant freeze. if the turret lub or the hydraulic fluid freeze, the turret cannot traverse at all.

I think there must be products available for winter as the soviet red army fight better in winter with its T34.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

The oil is pre-heated first. In colder countries, most tank engines will have a engine block heater. In the worse case scenario, you light a fire under the engine compartment of the tank and heat up the engine that way before starting.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Most cold-weather diesel can only go down to -40ºC. For colder temperatures, I think they use some kind of kerosene-based fuel with low octane rating.

Most modern tank engines run multi-fuel. You can put in diesel or petrol. You don't need to use low octane fuels. For diesel, you can add a fuel additive that prevents the diesel from gelling in extreme cold weather, but the tank's fuel capacity is so huge, this is not a practical solution. The easiest thing to do is to keep the engine running all the time in idling. Not very tactical, and not always possible if you are short of fuel. But that's how they do it in the cold countries.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
that is just motor oil, no point can start engine when the weapon lubricant freeze. if the turret lub or the hydraulic fluid freeze, the turret cannot traverse at all.

I think there must be products available for winter as the soviet red army fight better in winter with its T34.

The solution is to never shut off the engine. U idle it even at night. Turn the heater in the tank on, and the crew compartment will also be warmed.

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No, it is still warm when it emerges from the dick. But lanjiao will shrink at those cold temperatures!

Cheers!

So cold how to have sex, LOL? I can't stand cold temperatures. The coldest place I have been to is Genting Highlands. The cold makes me want to pee every half hour or so. If I don't drink water, my face and lips will feel flush and hot.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I've never experienced such low temps.....won't the eyeballs freeze? No protection for eyes?

Minus 35C to minus 40C is extremely cold, and any exposed unprotected skin, other than your face, will get frostbite in about ten to twelve minutes.
If you throw a glass of water in the air outside, it will freeze as it is dropping to the ground.

In a few minutes, I will be walking in minus 20C, to the gym.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I've never experienced such low temps.....won't the eyeballs freeze? No protection for eyes?

You could sign up for a trip to the Antartic or go to the northern hemisphere to see the Aurola Borealis and experience this kind of cold. It is an experience that one must have before meeting the creator.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Minus 35C to minus 40C is extremely cold, and any exposed unprotected skin, other than your face, will get frostbite in about ten to twelve minutes.
If you throw a glass of water in the air outside, it will freeze as it is dropping to the ground.

In a few minutes, I will be walking in minus 20C, to the gym.

When I first started school in Manitoba, I was dumb enough to walk 12 blocks to the supermarket at -25C. I don't know what the temperature with the wind taken into account as in Manitoba they don't do the windchill temperature, probably because it would scare people away.

I tested the instant freezing theory of water at windchill -36C. It didn't happen; it took about 10 minutes for a thin layer of ice on the surface and a solid block of ice in 30 min. The water is about 10 cm deep.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You could sign up for a trip to the Antartic or go to the northern hemisphere to see the Aurola Borealis and experience this kind of cold. It is an experience that one must have before meeting the creator.

Yes indeed....I had an offer of a tour that included traveling on an icebreaker.....think I'll sign up this December