• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singaporean studying in Monash University: Our education system is a failure

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The student is merely making excuses for his lack of originality.

I went through the Singapore system and I'm one of the most original thinkers around. When it comes to convoluted logic, I rise above all others.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ten years series answers lerh wu bo? borrow leh borrow leh, I wan copy leh... :o:o:o
That was our time. Ten year series only good for science and math till Pre-u. Not "marketing" in university anyway.

Time has changed. When I see so many kids getting all A's at A-level, I thought they had become even more hardcore muggers for 10 year series. I realized that I was wrong when my kids took their A-levels. The syllabus change frequently and were different for each kid. Science questions was well crafted. I have to agree that those kids are really sound in their concept or they must have covered 20 years series and many many more past school exam papers in order to achieve straight A's. 10-year series can't buy good results anymore. The norm now is to cover at least all the JCs' last final exam papers. A student who cover only 10 year series will get only mediocre results now.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why not just skip all those years in school & just study all the modern answers from the 10 or 20 year series:confused:

Then you can enter Uni & get your degree before doing your NS:smile:

bakkuttay

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In 60s, as part-timer in melbourne, I took a paper with 2 parts separate for 2 years. But i enrolled to take part 1 paper and full paper in same year. The surprise was, I did not get thru part 1 but I passed full paper with high grade.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think what the student said is true for marketing. I studied it locally back then; although can't remember much by now i remember it was one of the easiest subject to score with nothing much to memorise, more of applying concept and ideas.

Dinkum

Alfrescian
Loyal
I got my degree from Monash University in Melbourne Australia and I would like to share with your readers a life story that happened to me.

I had a shock in one of my papers.

Topic was Marketing.

I received a freaking "E" grade for it.

I went to confront the lecturer the next day after I got my grades and asked him what I did so gravely wrong that I deserved an "E" grade?

I explained that everything I wrote was content taken from our module textbook.

He replied: "Look at the book. Look at who the author of the book is!"

I took a good look and then it dawned on me - he was the author of the book.

More at Singaporean studying in Monash University: Our education system is a failure

"Seriously, I will gladly accepted anything so long as it's better than an "E"."

HTF did this chap get into Monash University when his English is so freaking atrocious?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Hahahahaha! Silly sinkie. Worldwide there is only one answer - outsource to lowest cost country. No brainer lah!

Try calling this local company 6223 8888, "world class" company with 3rd world call centre. :oIo:SIA for making me speak to shitskins!

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
The student is merely making excuses for his lack of originality.

I went through the Singapore system and I'm one of the most original thinkers around. When it comes to convoluted logic, I rise above all others.

That guy should have studied medicine.

Medicine does NOT want you to think out of the box whatsoever. Follow guidelines and do what every doctor does. Memorize stuff and regurgitate.

If you try to be original they go after you and discipline you.

The ultimate sinkies are found as doctors.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
That guy should have studied medicine.

Medicine does NOT want you to think out of the box whatsoever. Follow guidelines and do what every doctor does. Memorize stuff and regurgitate.

If you try to be original they go after you and discipline you.

The ultimate sinkies are found as doctors.

Quite true. Creativity is not good in the practice of medicine and accounting.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Quite true. Creativity is not good in the practice of medicine and accounting.

I don't know about medicine but in the field of accountancy, being creative is essential in order to survive.

Before we went public many years ago, we hired some creative accountants who did wonders for the books.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
when studying overseas, i can only think of one is opened to their culture, other than that, there is no much difference studying local uni. in fact, in sinkieland, local uni. grads seem to be more well received by employers.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... I explained that everything I wrote was content taken from our module textbook ...
remember got 1 time, me was toking 2 a fren about a particular course he was taking ...

me was asking him tings about his course ... n he gave his replies by regurgitating stuffs from his course notes ... alamak! tiz fren-fren conversation leh ... like toking 2 robot lidat ...

but den hor, in local skools, in exam, if u dun gif answers worded same as textbook, dey oso dunno how 2 mark ur answer 1 ... dey wil simply mark u wrong 4 wasting their time 2 digest wat u wrote ... me kena b4 ... :o

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
but den hor, in local skools, in exam, if u dun gif answers worded same as textbook, dey oso dunno how 2 mark ur answer 1 ... dey wil simply mark u wrong 4 wasting their time 2 digest wat u wrote ... me kena b4 ... :o
It is true. However, many students didn't understand why. Such need to memerise word by word is confined to only "definition" for physics, chemistry and math (only in university). Is there really a need to memerize definitions? The truth is no. Students who truly knows what each definition entails can always use their own words. As long as it covers every aspects of the definition, they will get full mark. The problem is, most students don't even understand each definition so they will not be able to use their own words. Those who do understand, will also prefer to memerize because the text book definition is usually the shortest way to put so many things in a single sentence.

For other subjects, regurgitating text book answers is not encouraged and may even be penalized.