• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Disquiet of WP AHPeTC's Incompetency?

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If nobody has a monopoly, who's going to provide the leadership and make the tough decisions necessary for the country to survive for the long term.

I have personally experienced weak coalitions trying to run a country. Everything comes to a grinding halt. Nothing moves forward because all contentious issues end up being mired in a stand off with no coalition party willing to give an inch for fear of being viewed as the weakest link.

I would not wish a coalition government on any country because at the end of the day, it is the people that suffer not the politicians who'll still get their bloated pay cheques, their perks and their pensions while the country lies in ruins.

What if the ruling govt becomes corrupt or incompetent? Then we need to cut it down to size or even replace it!

And how can we check on a govt when we perpetually give it unmitigated powers? We would only be inviting ruin on ourselves by handing everything to a single party

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
I have to disagree, Leongsam.

Nordic countries which have GRAND Coalition Governments, have worked very well. It is just a matter of evolution and how politicians are being FORCED to play ball to the NEW RULE of Coalition governance.

Goh Meng Seng

If nobody has a monopoly, who's going to provide the leadership and make the tough decisions necessary for the country to survive for the long term.

I have personally experienced weak coalitions trying to run a country. Everything comes to a grinding halt. Nothing moves forward because all contentious issues end up being mired in a stand off with no coalition party willing to give an inch for fear of being viewed as the weakest link.

I would not wish a coalition government on any country because at the end of the day, it is the people that suffer not the politicians who'll still get their bloated pay cheques, their perks and their pensions while the country lies in ruins.

ILovePAP

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I promise this will be my LAST post.......

Goh Meng Seng

Why are you still here? You have nothing to show unless you win a seat in parliament.
No point TCSS here...cos you have ZERO achievements to show.
Work harder next time and be more sincere.
The voters find you insincere, scheming ... and lacks integrity.
Thats why you lost.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
I hope you learn to read PROPERLY in a WHOLESOME manner, instead of taking people's words out of context. :wink:

Goh Meng Seng

Why are you still here? You have nothing to show unless you win a seat in parliament.
No point TCSS here...cos you have ZERO achievements to show.
Work harder next time and be more sincere.
The voters find you insincere, scheming ... and lacks integrity.
Thats why you lost.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
GMS - Dont waste time here. Get in to parliament to enjoy having your views aired to all S'poreans. I am quietly confident you are capable of winning. You have the experience, IQ, EQ etc to trounce the MIW. Go for it.

bhoven

Alfrescian
Loyal
Town Council debacle: That sinking feeling.
Just a quick answer to Bertha Henson's question about whether the 70% of residents in AHPETC mind paying for the rest of the 30% of residents? No.

I am not an expert where mathematical sums are concerned, but I do know that the assessment of the strength of an entity encompasses more than just looking at its surpluses and deficits. For example, some entities hoard a lot of surpluses, but this could be because they are underspending in key areas.

I think Singaporeans may want to ponder this: where Town Councils are concerned, does a high surplus indicate a well-run Town Council with satisfied residents? And what could be the causes of a Town Council falling into deficit?

Well, as the group Fabrications About the PAP has helpfully informed us, Aljunied GRC had a surplus of $3.3 million in 2011. So, if surpluses are indeed indicative of good Town Council management as the group claims, why then did the majority of its residents vote for the Workers' Party? (PAP apologists: That's because they're dumb! They don't know better! They are repenting now!) Whatever.

Similar mocking posts are available at FLOP and on Calvin Cheng's Facebook page. The blog Five Stars and a Moon, which tends to publish one-sided blog posts, has also called for the WP to be more accountable in its accounting practices.

But I must say, this is one instance where I agree with Five Stars and a Moon. Although it doesn't bother me that the WP-run Town Council has failed to collect arrears (a common problem for government agencies), when I looked through its Annual Report of 2012/2013 (cos the 2014 one isn't available), I was concerned to note the various areas where the explanations were dodgy.

I have no answer for why the report was so iffy, and since WP is characteristically keeping mum on the issue, I can only offer some ideas based on what I have read from various local sources. My tone will probably sound apologetic to some, but at least the information here is based on facts with links provided for your reference, rather than fabrications and baseless insinuations.

1. What happened to the surplus of $3.3 million that Aljunied GRC had accumulated?

This issue could be explained by studying the amendment to the Town Council Act in 1996 that led to the creation of the sinking funds for all Town Councils. The amendment to the law was ostensibly passed to ensure that Town Councils would have to set aside a third of their surpluses every financial year, so that they could pay for future liabilities (like improvement works in the constituency). Further, it is stated in this article from the Nanyang Business School at NTU that "all accumulated surpluses be set aside in the sinking fund if a new MP from a different party were elected".

Maybe that explains why the surplus of Aljunied GRC disappeared after the General Elections of 2011? If so, then the people behind Fabrications About the PAP could be trying to mislead readers by alleging that the surplus had been misused by WP (in the post pictured: "surplus been used to fill the hole in Hougang") even though they knew that the money had to go into the sinking fund.

Or maybe the Nanyang Business School is wrong? I'll leave it to the real journalists to pore through the Constitution.

2. Why are the Opposition Town Councils always in the red?

After adding up the electorate figures for each of the constituencies, I discovered that AHPETC is the Town Council in Singapore that's serving the most number of adult Singaporeans (202,336 of its residents are Singaporeans above 21). I couldn't find the stats on the children population and the non-Singaporean population, but the electorate stats should give us a good gauge of the enormity of the task they are facing.

The GRC with the second highest number of Singaporeans above 21 is Pasir Ris-Punggol, with 196,350 citizens.

Then, I went to have a look at the section for "government grants" in their Annual Reports. To be fair, I compared the Annual Reports of 2012/2013. Even though Pasir Ris-Punggol has already made available the 2014 version, AHPETC doesn't have it yet.

Anyway, I noticed that Pasir Ris-Punggol, despite having to serve the smaller population of adult Singaporeans, received $1.5 million more in government grants than AHPETC ($8.8 million minus $7.3 million = $1.5 million). Numbers are rounded off to the nearest ten thousand.

Maybe Pasir Ris-Punggol has more areas that need government grants...

Tanjong Pagar GRC has an electorate of 137,464. That's 64,872 fewer adult Singaporeans than AHPETC. However, it received $13.5 million in government grants in FY 2012/2013. That's $6.2 million more than the grants received by AHPETC.

Perhaps it's because Tanjong Pagar GRC has a greater need for repairs and infrastructural modifications than AHPETC. Indeed, the GRC, where I used to live, has a great need for handicap and elder-friendly facilities.

Well, I don't want to find excuses for WP, so I'll end the post here and leave you to judge for yourselves. I am simply placing this information here in the hope that the matter of AHPETC's deficits can be discussed in a rational manner, without the usual m&d-slinging directed at the Opposition, egged on by deliberate misinformation from pro-PAP groups. While the final balance of accounts is important, we should also try to find out why it came to be that way.

Instead of lamenting the lack of transparency and allowing different partisan groups to hoodwink us, let's look at the information that's available. We can find out a great deal by examining them.

Additional note

It seems that this post has been shared on TOC and TRS. No wonder there are suddenly hundreds of people visiting this blog. Even though no permission was sought from me before the post was copied and pasted, I still want to thank you for sharing.

I have been questioned on FLOP by this person. Well, the author of this blogpost cannot answer your queries on FLOP because some sneaky person on that page has reported my Facebook account and it's been suspended.

Here's my reply: First, I have already suggested where the surplus could have gone. If you cannot be bothered to read to engage my argument, it just reflects badly on you.

Second, what I have stated are only suggestions based on the information I have gathered online, since WP has not given a complete reply. I recognise that you have a different opinion, but it's unreasonable of you to demand proof when you are also unable to prove your view that the WP is guilty of mismanaging the funds.

Third, a deficit could be caused by any number of reasons. The PAP Town Councils and even the Singapore government have had deficits before. Since your guess is as good as mine about how the money was spent, maybe we should just respect each other's opinion and wait for the facts to come to light.
bimbotic_observer at 05:06

SgParent

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore is a success story beyond compare. It is ranked number one in so many areas that most people have lost count.

If the "stop at two" policy and some minor MRT disruptions are all you can come up with as examples, it proves beyond doubt that the PAP is the best government in the whole wide world.
the short sighted stop-at-2 led to not enough workers 10yrs ago led to not enough activity to sustain the gdp led to perverted obsession with sudden, massive importation of cheaperest foreigners led to infrastructure tak boleh tahan led to high demand led to super inflation led to high inequality.

yup looks really minor.

xingguy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
935888_585496111483380_164410369_n.jpg
1424326_677646502268340_266701563_n.jpg

Where to access these cartoons?
Think they will be effective to educate the dumbfucks.
Share these cartoons

The cartoons can be access here and here.

kaipoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't be so bias, compare them with PAP runs estate, any different? What about your friend quietly invest the sinking fund in stock and lost millions what is your comments? Go see for yourself, don't just read on the shittime.

I was waiting for quite a while but it seems that nobody in Sammyboy wants to talk about this embarrassment of WP AHPeTC's incompetency. Why?

Hard Truth really hurts so badly?

Goh Meng Seng

xingguy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Mystery Of Town Council Grants

Source: The Alternative View

The mystery of town council grants

10468098_800950583299609_2719574689022937021_n.jpg

The PAP and its cronies have been perpetuating falsehoods against The Workers' Party on how it is managing its town council funds.

This includes one Lim Boon Heng who foolishly asked for the reason why the surplus in Aljunied Town Council's accounts became a deficit in three years.

If Lim Boon Heng knows his Town Council regulations, he would have realized that under Part VI Sect 34(3) of the Town Councils Act, such surpluses are required to be transferred to the sinking fund when there is a change of political party running the town council.

Lim Boon Heng might want to know that operating deficits are in fact the norm, rather than exception and PAP town councils were able to offset these deficits only because of grants from MND.

On this issue, what we really want to know is how does MND decide how much to grant to each town council?

Take a look at the graphic. AHPETC is the largest in terms of electoral base and comprises 1 GRC and 2 SMCs. Yet it significantly receives less grants from MND than three other PAP-run GRCs.

Both AMK and Tanjong Pagar are of similar geographical size as AHPETC. So why did they receive at least 80% more grants than the latter?

Is this special privilege due to the fact that they are helmed by the PM and his father?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: The Mystery Of Town Council Grants

It's a form of political patronage or tribute.

And who knows how they'll spend that excess money. Minibonds? Community 'integration' events? :wink:

Jlokta

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
GMS - Dont waste time here. Get in to parliament to enjoy having your views aired to all S'poreans. I am quietly confident you are capable of winning. You have the experience, IQ, EQ etc to trounce the MIW. Go for it.

Trouncing the 超级白is an easy feat.

It's the sucking up to them to make sure she gets into parliament that's the tough part.

Jlokta

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
the short sighted stop-at-2 led to not enough workers 10yrs ago led to not enough activity to sustain the gdp led to perverted obsession with sudden, massive importation of cheaperest foreigners led to infrastructure tak boleh tahan led to high demand led to super inflation led to high inequality.

yup looks really minor.

The stop at 2 didn't stop pinky with having that much with Mr Ho did it??