• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Kwan Yin Temple...just wondering....

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Nothing to do today so went to walk around Kwan Yin Temple... said my peace inside the temple...

Just a few questions and wondering if forummers here can assist me...

1. Joss sticks are provided free by the Temple...why do people still buy from the joss sticks hawkers outside?

2. The hawkers just outside the Temple also sell flowers. They will ask everyone who is walking towards the Temple to buy...never bought before..but i see lots of people buying...and then u put inside the Temple and then? Are they recycled and out for sale again by the hawkers outside?

3. The fortune tellers outside the Temple...if u believe in Buddhism...everything is fated...why do u need fortune tellers???

4. Today...also got some souls wearing Polo shirts with some 365 logo asking charity for cancer...is it a legitimate charity?

5. I see lots of people praying opposite direction inside the Temple...why huh?

Anyway... i now eating nearby and filing this post....hehehe :biggrin:

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i am a regular at kwan yin temple. there must be a reason for pple to go pray there, some things in life is not explainable. moreover, i am quite a cheena guy and i believe in goddess of mercy.

zeebjii

Alfrescian
Loyal

1. Joss sticks are provided free by the Temple...why do people still buy from the joss sticks hawkers outside?

2. The hawkers just outside the Temple also sell flowers. They will ask everyone who is walking towards the Temple to buy...never bought before..but i see lots of people buying...and then u put inside the Temple and then? Are they recycled and out for sale again by the hawkers outside?

3. The fortune tellers outside the Temple...if u believe in Buddhism...everything is fated...why do u need fortune tellers???

4. Today...also got some souls wearing Polo shirts with some 365 logo asking charity for cancer...is it a legitimate charity?

1. The free joss sticks are bought by the devotees outside.

2. Not recycled.

3. This is not a buddhist temple. It is a folk religion temple, with Kuan Yin as its main deity.

4. Don't know.

5. Not sure, should be praying to the heavens.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nothing to do today so went to walk around Kwan Yin Temple... said my peace inside the temple...

1. Some people like to buy special 'tua kee' joss sticks, some of which are decorated. You will see this outside the temple on CNY eve. :wink:

2. Some flowers have symbolic value e.g. the lotus. Flowers that have been offered up as prayer items are then freely given to anyone who wants them.

3. Guan Yin is more like a fusion of Buddhism and Taoism.

4. Ignore those charity hucksters outside temples. I've seen some Hare Krishnans outside the temple asking for donations. :rolleyes:

5. Some people like to pray towards all four directions. Anyway, there are some interesting shops and services opposite the temple. :cool:

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
...Anyway, there are some interesting shops and services opposite the temple. :cool:
Yep indeed interesting and good food at the opposite side alley too.

There is a Curry Mee...not sure it is the same as the Hong Lim one but it advertise as the same though...also...right at the end the kopi shop nearest Bugis Plus...the roast meat quite yummy and cheap...duck plus charsiew rice only $3.50...:biggrin:

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
i am a regular at kwan yin temple. there must be a reason for pple to go pray there, some things in life is not explainable. moreover, i am quite a cheena guy and i believe in goddess of mercy.

Krafty bro...all gods are the same whether christian god or hindu god or christain god etc etc...

I pray to Kwan Yin using english cos my chinese super crap...not sure if Kwan Yin understands english...but i guess gods should understand all languages...correct?

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
most important is have a good heart and do good deeds.:smile:

Krafty bro...all gods are the same whether christian god or hindu god or christain god etc etc...

I pray to Kwan Yin using english cos my chinese super crap...not sure if Kwan Yin understands english...but i guess gods should understand all languages...correct?

sochi2014

Alfrescian
Loyal

Why are you worshipping created things?

They are just dead idols.

Yingge

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I am good at this... other than Q4.. The rest I should be able to answer you...

1. Like what laksa said... Some poeples may wanted to pray more... Reason like prayers were answered, strike 4D, got serious issues needed the kwan yin to help...

2. They will exchange the flowers and bring home wash heng heng!!!

3. Many peoples are curious about fate so go ask the fortune teller...

4. Don't know...

5. You have to pray to Ti Gong first before the kwan yin... Ti gong = 玉王大帝。

Yingge

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

No worries... She have helpers which know difference languages... Anyway when she see you, she know you are praying for bananas...:biggrin:

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
I am good at this... other than Q4.. The rest I should be able to answer you...

1. Like what laksa said... Some poeples may wanted to pray more... Reason like prayers were answered, strike 4D, got serious issues needed the kwan yin to help...

2. They will exchange the flowers and bring home wash heng heng!!!

3. Many peoples are curious about fate so go ask the fortune teller...

4. Don't know...

5. You have to pray to Ti Gong first before the kwan yin... Ti gong = 玉王大帝。

Ti Gong is who? Jade Emperor ah? Sorry hor...i not so educated about such things...to me God is god so as long as do good can liaozz...

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am good at this... 5. You have to pray to Ti Gong first before the kwan yin... Ti gong = 玉王大帝。

Sir, I have always wondered this...maybe you can answer also...

So if we go to the Ti Gong temple at Havelock road, do we still need to pray facing out?

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
No worries... She have helpers which know difference languages... Anyway when she see you, she know you are praying for bananas...:biggrin:

I pray for peace and good health for all family members and good friends...nothing beats peace and good health...:biggrin:

Yingge

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ti Gong is who? Jade Emperor ah? Sorry hor...i not so educated about such things...to me God is god so as long as do good can liaozz...

You are right... Jade Emperor... Finally know Ti gong in ang mo... Thank lao gao...:biggrin:

Yingge

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sir, I have always wondered this...maybe you can answer also...

So if we go to the Ti Gong temple at Havelock road, do we still need to pray facing out?

Ha...ha... Good one... They will face the sky first in case ti gong not in... After that pray the ti gong in house...

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
You are right... Jade Emperor... Finally know Ti gong in ang mo... Thank lao gao...:biggrin:

Haha...:biggrin: somehow reminds me of the movie where Chow Yuen Fatt acted as Tigong fighting with Aaron Kwok the villian........i think it is a HK and China production :biggrin:

TheMonkeyKing.jpg

Last edited: