• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Bundesliga Season 2014-15 ║

Rolfes

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bundesliga Review: Dortmund held by late equaliser, Leverkusen beat Bremen

17 December 2014

759498header.jpg

Borussia Dortmund failed to shake off their early-season struggles as they were held to a 2-2 Bundesliga draw by Wolfsburg on Wednesday.

Jurgen Klopp's men came into the clash at Signal Iduna Park with a record of two wins in their last 13 league fixtures, but looked set to claim a rare victory against Wolfsburg until Naldo netted a late winner.

The Brazilian defender punished the home side's poor marking when he rose unchallenged to head the 85th-minute leveller from an inswinging corner.

Ciro Immobile's impressive strike had looked to have handed Dortmund victory, but they were unable to see the game out.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang opened the scoring with his first goal in six games in all competitions, before Kevin De Bruyne restored parity with a dipping free-kick.

The single point sees Dortmund end their final home fixture of 2014 in the bottom three, while Wolfsburg are now 11 points behind runaway leaders Bayern Munich.

Klopp next takes his side to basement club Werder Bremen on Saturday likely needing a win to ensure Dortmund do not spend the festive period rooted in the drop zone.

Bremen found themselves on the end of a 4-1 hammering at Borussia Monchengladbach on Wednesday.

Max Kruse fired the home side in front from the penalty spot shortly after the half-hour mark, before Oscar Wendt's chip made it 2-0 at the break.

Zlatko Junuzovic curled in a free-kick to reduce the deficit six minutes into the second half, but Christoph Kramer restored the two-goal advantage with a 64th-minute header.

Luca Caldirola received his marching orders after seeing two yellow cards in three minutes, before Branimir Hirgota put the result beyond doubt with a tap-in.

Bayer Leverkusen kept up the pressure on the top three with a 1-0 win at Hoffenheim, while Schalke also remain in touch thanks to a 2-1 victory at Paderborn.

In the day's remaining fixture, Eintracht Frankfurt and Hertha Berlin shared the spoils in an eight-goal thriller at the Commerzbank-Arena.

Goals from John Anthony Brooks, Anis Ben-Hatira and Julian Schieber sent the hosts into a 3-0 lead, before Stefan Aigner and Haris Seferovic hauled Hertha back into the tie.

Peter Niemeyer appeared to have sealed all three points when he found the net 10 minutes from time, but a last-gasp brace from Alexander Meier ensured Frankfurt salvaged a point.

Rolfes

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bundesliga Preview: Bayern seeking to extend unbeaten start before winter break

18 December 2014

759581header.jpg

Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich travel to Mainz on Friday in the last round before the winter break in Germany.

The league will go on a six-week hiatus before matches resume on January 30, offering players a chance to recharge after a gruelling start to the 2014-15 campaign.

Bayern are 11 points clear of Wolfsburg at the Bundesliga summit, unbeaten after 16 rounds so far.

The season has been particularly strenuous for Bayern, despite taking a stranglehold of the Bundesliga.

Pep Guardiola's men have played a total of 25 games in all competitions following Tuesday's 2-0 Bundesliga win at home to second-bottom Freiburg.

That is without mentioning the World Cup in Brazil, which saw a number of Bayern's players lift the trophy with Germany.

And number one goalkeeper Manuel Neuer, who has only conceded three league goals, is relishing the opportunity to put his feet up over Christmas, though he is desperate to head into the break with another win under his belt.

"It'll be important to win in Mainz as it's our last game before Christmas," Manuel said.

"We've invested a lot of energy in the last few weeks and months so we really have to win it.

"I don't really think about how many goals I'm going to concede, we really just do take it game by game. In the first half of the season I think we've played really well and been very successful."

Six matches are scheduled on Saturday, with Wolfsburg, Borussia Monchengladbach, Bayer Leverkusen and Schalke all in action.

Wolfsburg are back on home soil against 10th-placed Cologne after they came from behind twice to earn a 2-2 draw at Borussia Dortmund on Wednesday following Naldo's 85th-minute equaliser.

"Both sides played well. When you're 2-1 down it's a point gained. Considering how the game unfolded, we have to be content with the draw," Diego Benaglio said afterwards.

Monchengladbach - four points adrift of Wolfsburg in third position - travel to sixth-placed Augsburg, who have lost back-to-back matches.

Max Kruse, Oscar Wendt, Christoph Kramer and Branimir Hrgota were all on target as Monchengladbach routed 10-man cellar-dwellers Werder Bremen 4-1 on Wednesday.

Leverkusen are level on points with Monchengladbach as they prepare to host Eintracht Frankfurt.

Schalke enter their home fixture against Hamburg with four wins from five league matches after they edged Paderborn 2-1 midweek.

"You always need a bit of luck. We had that [against Paderborn] but we also worked hard," said Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting, who scored Schalke's equaliser.

Strugglers Werder are also set to play on Saturday, hosting third-bottom Dortmund, while Stuttgart entertain Cologne.

On Sunday, Hertha Berlin take on Hoffenheim fresh from their thrilling 4-4 draw at Eintracht Frankfurt.

The round concludes with lowly Freiburg and Hannover 96 going head-to-head.

Dante

Alfrescian
Loyal

Alonso and Lewandowski out of Mainz clash

18 December 2014

759750header.jpg

Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich will be without Xabi Alonso and Robert Lewandowski for Friday's encounter with Mainz.

Bayern have yet to taste defeat in the German top flight this term and head to the Coface Arena aiming to finish the first half of the season with that record still intact.

Pep Guardiola's men, who are already 11 points clear at the top of the table, will be heavy favourites to claim three points against a Mainz side with just three league wins to their name.

However, Bayern will have to cope without midfielder Alonso and star striker Lewandowski after both picked up knocks in the 2-0 win over Freiburg on Tuesday.

The duo will be sidelined together with defender Mehdi Benatia, who was already a confirmed absentee, and midfielder Sebastian Rode.

"Benatia, Alonso and Lewandowski won't be on board," Guardiola said. "Rode is sick."

Regardless of the result versus Mainz, Bayern are sure to hold a healthy lead at the summit going into the mid-season break.

However, Guardiola is refusing to take anything for granted and highlighted the struggles of Borussia Dortmund, who sit 16th after finishing second in each of the last two seasons, as an example to heed.

"Just because we were strong in the first half of this season doesn't mean that we will be in the second half," he added.

"It can happen that we lose one or more games. You can see it in Dortmund. Borussia is a super team with a great coach. But if it can happen to them, then it can to us."

MarcoReus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Reus fined €540,000 for driving offences

631061_heroa.jpg

By Alec Fenn
Dec 18, 2014 15:01:00

Police found the 26-year-old had been driving without a valid licence since September 2011, despite him endorsing the club's car sponsor and featuring in a petrol advert

Borussia Dortmund star Marco Reus has been fined €540,000 after being caught driving without a valid license.

The 26-year-old was ordered to pull over by police as he left the club's training ground earlier this week, where he was unable to produce the necessary documentation.

Further investigation revealed Reus had been guilty of driving illegally since September 2011 and had even been served five speeding tickets before police realised he had no license.

The Germany international admitted his actions were stupid and offered no excuse for his behaviour on Thursday.

He said: "Today I know I was too naive in this situation. That was stupid. I have drawn my conclusions and such a thing will never happen again.

The offence is all the more remarkable given that Reus has also starred in a petrol advert in Germany, as well as featuring in promotional campaigns for one of the club's car sponsors.

He underwent several driving lessons as an 18-year-old but failed to complete the necessary practical exam. "I then unfortunately went down this route," he added. "I cannot comprehend my actions."

Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp added his thoughts on the incident, which comes at the worst possible time as BVB bid to fight their way out of the relegation places in the Bundesliga.

"I was surprised, too," he said. "I talked to him and he is reasonable in a maximum way. With stories like this it is difficult to get a way out of it.

"The fine is exceptionally high. Now everything gets back to normal. He is a great guy who made a mistake.“

Rolfes

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bundesliga Review: Bremen off bottom with Dortmund win, Augsburg beat Gladbach

20 December 2014

760999header.jpg

Borussia Dortmund will head into the mid-season break in the bottom two after they suffered a 2-1 defeat at Werder Bremen on Saturday.

Jurgen Klopp's men have struggled significantly this season after finishing in the top two in each of the last four campaigns.

And Dortmund were dealt their 10th league defeat by Bremen as the hosts moved off the bottom of the table.

Davie Selke opened the scoring inside three minutes, curling home after latching on Santiago Garcia's superb ball before turning creator in the 62nd minute to cross for Fin Bartels to slot home a second.

Mats Hummels headed in Ilkay Gundogan's delivery seven minutes later to give Dortmund hope, but the visitors could not complete the comeback.

Wolfsburg strengthened their grip on second place by coming from behind to beat Cologne 2-1.

Dominic Maroh put Cologne ahead after 11 minutes before Bas Dost levelled just five minutes later and Naldo capped off the fightback 12 minutes from time by heading home Kevin De Bruyne's corner.

Wolfsburg are now six points ahead of third-placed Bayer Leverkusen after Roger Schmidt's men salvaged a 1-1 draw at Eintracht Frankfurt.

Frankfurt's Alexander Meier netted from the penalty spot in the 36th minute following Tin Jedvaj's foul on Takashi Inui, only for Karim Bellarabi to salvage a share of the spoils for Leverkusen with a powerful finish into the bottom corner.

Sixth-placed Augsburg came from behind to claim a 2-1 home win over Borussia Monchengladbach, pulling level with the visitors and Schalke - held to a 0-0 draw by Hamburg - as a result.

Max Kruse had put Gladbach ahead from the penalty spot in the third minute, but Markus Felner and Raul Bobadilla were on target to turn things around for Markus Weinzierl's men.

Elsewhere, the game between Stuttgart and Paderborn ended goalless.

Dante

Alfrescian
Loyal

Klopp denies Dortmund departure plans

19 December 2014

760098header.jpg

Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp was forced to deny claims he was set to leave the Bundesliga club.

After a 2-2 draw at home to Wolfsburg on Wednesday, Klopp was quoted as saying he would miss the Dortmund fans when he leaves - leading to strong murmurs he was set to end his stint at Signal-Iduna-Park, which began in 2008.

Klopp clarified his comments, ahead of their trip to bottom-placed Werder Bremen - who could dump Dortmund into the automatic relegation spots with a victory on Saturday.

"I thought I've made it quite clear. I've said 'anytime'. And I probably said it a few times already. But nothing is the same in a situation like this," said Klopp, on the timing of his departure.

"I don't know if I startled so many people with this sentence. No it's nothing to do with implying or preparing to retire. I just wanted to say what I said.

"That there will be a time where I definitely will not be coach of Dortmund anymore and hopefully, at that time, I'll be in good health.

"Then I'll have that chance to miss things because I remember what was nice and cool in the past. And then I'll miss this stadium, absolutely.

"But I'm not sick. Not yet."

Klopp also revealed he has began to mould Ciro Immobile to become a number nine for Dortmund, and avoid being drawn up the field.

"A few weeks ago we started to change Ciro's style of play that he knew from his old club Torino," Klopp said.

"The Italian football has huge quality but is completely different from the football played in the Bundesliga.

"Many teams retreat very fast and when [a] striker falls back into the midfield he often has a lot of room. This means you can get confidence there.

"If you fall back into the midfield in the Bundesliga and you start to dribble there you probably get pressed from the opponent.

"But Immobile got so used to these paths [from Italy] we had to work on that because we don't need them [midfielders], we got enough players in this part of the pitch.

"We need the player in the centre, someone to whom you can pass the ball to, we need someone to make the paths behind the last line, also on the wings."

Klopp said Immobile's performance against Wolfsburg in mid-week vindicated his work with the 24-year-old Italy international.

"Yesterday [Wednesday] it was beautiful to see how strong Ciro can be, not just because of his paths," the coach said.

"We benefited from that, he benefited from that and therefore it's a really positive story."

Dante

Alfrescian
Loyal

Huntelaar signs Schalke extension

20 December 2014

760786header.jpg

​Schalke striker Klaas-Jan Huntelaar has signed a two-year contract extension with the Bundesliga club.

The Netherlands international's deal at the Veltins Arena was due to expire in June, but he has now agreed to extend his stay in Gelsenkirchen until 2017.

Huntelaar has been prolific in front of goal for Schalke since his move from Milan in 2010, proving himself in one of Europe's biggest leagues after struggling in Serie A and La Liga.

Huntelaar helped Schalke to win the DFB-Pokal in 2011 and the former Ajax and Real Madrid man has maintained his strong form in front of goal in 2014-15.

The 31-year-old has netted 10 times in all competitions for Roberto Di Matteo's men this season.

Schalke sat fifth in the Bundesliga prior to Saturday's visit of Hamburg.

Dante

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dortmund are ´idiots´ - Klopp

20 December 2014

760940header.jpg

Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp has labelled his side as looking "like idiots" after their 2-1 defeat at Werder Bremen on Saturday.

An early goal from Davie Selke saw the hosts on their way, before the lead was doubled through Fin Bartels just after the hour.

Mats Hummels pulled a goal back with a towering header seven minutes later, but it was too little too late for Klopp's side, who have now lost 10 games in the league this season.

A win for rock-bottom Freiburg on Sunday could leave Dortmund rooted at the foot of the table through the mid-season break.

Klopp is adamant his side are capable of more, hinting they may benefit from the rest coming their way.

"The best news today is that football is over for 2014," the Dortmund boss told Sky Deutschland.

"Any criticism that we receive now is justified. We are standing here like complete idiots and it's completely our own fault.

"We now have three weeks of preparation ahead of us. Then we will repair what we've done."

Klopp will be hoping his side will be able turn things around, with a trip to Bayer Leverkusen awaiting them when they return from the break on January 31.

And goalscorer Hummels admits that the club's away form has proved to be the key concern in the dressing room over the last few weeks.

He added: "We're all been thinking about it: 'What's the problem? Where's the issue?' We were better at home in the last weeks, but away, not at all.

"It's amazing how bad we are away."

Rolfes

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bundesliga Review: Hoffenheim enjoy big win, Freiburg falter late on

21 December 2014

761478header.jpg

Hoffenheim ended a run of three straight Bundesliga away defeats in emphatic fashion when hammering Hertha Berlin 5-0 on Sunday.

The visitors were in front after 23 minutes thanks to an own goal by John Brooks and the defender's day went from bad to worse when he conceded a penalty soon after for bringing down Sven Schipplock.

Sejad Salihovic converted that spot-kick and netted another in the 39th minute after Andreas Beck was fouled by Nico Schulz in the area.

Schipplock added a fourth from close range in the 75th minute and Sebastian Rudy completed the rout late on in front of a stunned Olympiastadion crowd.

Bottom club Freiburg suffered late heartbreak as they surrendered a 2-0 lead to draw 2-2 with Hannover on home turf.

Mike Frantz opened the scoring in first-half stoppage time and Freiburg looked on course for their third league win of the season when Marc-Oliver Kempf doubled the advantage nine minutes from the end.

However, Leonardo Bittencourt pulled one back almost immediately and Joselu's 93rd-minute strike earned a point for Hannover.

Rolfes

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Dortmund will come back stronger, vows Klopp

21 December 2014

761229header.jpg

Jurgen Klopp vowed that Borussia Dortmund will “fight back with all our might” after the mid-season break in order to get out of trouble.

A 2-1 defeat to fellow strugglers Werder Bremen on Saturday saw the 2011/12 Bundesliga champions slip to 17th place in the table, and they will be bottom if Freiburg beat Hannover on Sunday.

Klopp ripped into his players after their latest defeat, labelling them as looking "like idiots", but he remains convinced Dortmund can pull away from trouble when the season recommences in late January.

"The season isn't over yet," he said. "We still have 17 games to play and most importantly, we will have an almost complete squad going into the preparation.

"So far we have lacked stability, and we will work hard to get it back.

"It will become much more difficult to beat us and we will also win games again.

"We will fight back with all our might."

The charismatic coach will not rush into the transfer market next month as Dortmund strive to avoid a first Bundesliga relegation since 1975-76.

He added: "We will talk about whether we need to make changes, but we will not just sign any player to make numbers up.

"We are not going to change things for the sake of it."

Rolfes

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Zorc: Dortmund to stick with Klopp

21 December 2014

761422header.jpg

Borussia Dortmund will stand by Jurgen Klopp during the second half of the Bundesliga season, according to sporting director Michael Zorc.

Last season's runners-up have endured a woeful first half to their domestic campaign and will start 2015 in the automatic relegation spots.

Dortmund suffered their 10th Bundesliga defeat of the season on Saturday as Klopp's men went down 2-1 at fellow strugglers Werder Bremen.

Klopp has previously guided Dortmund to two league titles as well as the DFB-Pokal in his time at Signal Iduna Park, while also reaching the UEFA Champions League final in 2013.

And Zorc explained that he, Klopp and chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke had met following the reversal in Bremen and agreed they still had the right man for the job.

"Hans-Joachim Watzke, Jurgen Klopp and myself sat together [on Sunday] and discussed and analysed our situation," he told Kicker.

"We are convinced that we will manage to get out of this current difficult situation together."

Part of Dortmund's woes this season can be explained by a lengthy injury list, with the likes of Marco Reus, Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Mats Hummels and Ilkay Gundogan all missing for varying spells this term.

On the possibility of bringing in new players during January, Zorc explained: "I never rule anything out generally.

"We have concrete ideas of what we want to realise."

Dante

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bremen agree Oztunali loan

21 December 2014

761256header.jpg

Bundesliga strugglers Werder Bremen have agreed a deal to sign Levin Oztunali in an 18-month loan deal from Bayer Leverkusen.

The teenage midfielder moves to the Weserstadion after struggling to break into Roger Schmidt's first team.

Having only made six league appearances this season, two of them starts, the 18-year-old has been sent out on loan to gain more first team experience.

"Levin's qualities are exceptional," said Leverkusen sporting director Rudi Voller. "What Levin needs now is match practice at the highest level.

"Bremen can offer him more of this than we currently can in Leverkusen, where the competition is much greater in his position."

For Viktor Skpinik's side the signing could provide a much-needed boost after the mid-season break, with the club languishing in 16th position after 17 matches.

Bremen sporting director Thomas Gauge is looking forward to seeing the youngster in action, and says the loan move benefits all parties.

"With Levin we have got one of the most sought-after talent in the Bundesliga," he said. "I am sure that this change is profitable for all parties.

"We gain an added option with great quality and Levin has a great chance to gain match practice.

"It is exactly the type of transfer that will help us."

Dante

Alfrescian
Loyal

Kramer pens Leverkusen extension

22 December 2014

761708header.jpg

Christoph Kramer has ended speculation on his future by signing a two-year contract extension with Bayer Leverkusen.

The Germany international is currently on a two-year loan at fellow Bundesliga club Borussia Monchengladbach - a deal that is set to expire at the end of the season.

World-Cup winner Kramer has been linked with a permanent switch to Borussia-Park after impressing during his time with Gladbach.

However, the 23-year-old midfielder will return to Leverkusen ahead of the 2015-16 campaign and has penned fresh terms on a contract that runs until June 2019.

"After talking with those responsible in Leverkusen I did not hesitate to extend my contract," Kramer told Leverkusen's official website.

"The total package with the team, the coach and the club itself just fits. I have known Bayer since my youth, it was always my dream to make it in the [first-team] squad.

"That I have managed that via a detour at Bochum and Borussia Monchengladbach is a great feeling of happiness for me."

After committing to Leverkusen, Kramer took time to thank Gladbach for helping him develop into a full international.

"I have become an international at Monchengladbach," he added. "For this and for the wonderful time I am very grateful.

"I will do everything in the remaining six months to help the club play internationally again."

Leverkusen's decision to keep Kramer will help to negate the loss of captain Simon Rolfes, who earlier this month announced his decision to retire at the end of the season.

Dante

Alfrescian
Loyal

Stranzl extends Gladbach stay

22 December 2014

761725header.jpg

Martin Stranzl has signed a one-year contract extension with Borussia Monchengladbach.

The 34-year-old's deal was set to expire at the end of the season, but he has penned fresh terms with the Bundesliga club until June 2016.

Stranzl has proved a popular player at Borussia-Park since joining from Spartak Moscow in January 2011 and has made 130 appearances for Gladbach.

"When the club approached me and asked me if I would sign for another year for me there was not much to think about," Stranzl told the club's official website.

"I feel very comfortable at Borussia and have always said I want to stay here as long as my body allows and the club gives me confidence.

"Therefore I am pleased to be able to play another year for Borussia."

Gladbach have reached the mid-season break in fourth place and will return to Bundesliga action on January 31 at Stuttgart.

Dante

Alfrescian
Loyal

Kraft extends Hertha deal

22 December 2014

761804header.jpg

Hertha Berlin goalkeeper Thomas Kraft has extended his contract with the club until the end of the 2016-17 campaign.

The 26-year-old joined Hertha from Bayern Munich in 2011, and started every game as the club were relegated from the Bundesliga in his first season.

They immediately bounced back as second-tier champions, however, with Kraft maintaining his position as a regular first choice.

On Monday, the club announced the keeper was now contracted until June 2017, with sporting director Michael Preetz delighted to have tied the German down.

"Thomas Kraft is an absolute top performer in our team," he said.

"Both as a goalkeeper and as a person he is very important for the team."

Kraft himself added: "I feel comfortable with Hertha Berlin and I am sure that we will see even more successful years together."

Dante

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ji to rejoin Augsburg from Dortmund

22 December 2014

761827header.jpg

South Korea striker Ji Dong-won is to rejoin Augsburg following an unsuccessful stint at beleaguered Borussia Dortmund.

The former Sunderland man agreed a short-term contract with Augsburg in January, having previously spent time on loan at the Bundesliga outfit, before being swiftly snapped up by Dortmund for the beginning of the 2014-15 campaign.

However, Ji has failed to make a single outing for Dortmund since arriving at Signal Iduna Park, and will now return to Augsburg on a three-and-a-half-year deal for an undisclosed fee.

"I am pleased to now be able to wear the FCA jersey again," he said. "I want to find my form as soon as possible and help the team to achieve its goals."

Augsburg CEO Stefan Reuter added: "When the opportunity arose for Ji Dong-won to join us we jumped at the chance, because we get additional quality in the squad.

"We know him, he knows us and we are sure that he can build on the services he has shown here in this environment in the past."

Ji's only league goal in 12 appearances for Augsburg last term came against Dortmund, after he had agreed to join Jurgen Klopp's side in the close season.

Dante

Alfrescian
Loyal

Kampl set to join Dortmund

22 December 2014

761909header.jpg

Borussia Dortmund have announced the signing of midfielder Kevin Kampl from Red Bull Salzburg for an undisclosed fee.

The German-born 24-year-old is set to sign a contract that will see him remain at Signal Iduna Park until 2019.

Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc revealed Kampl was a player who had been on the club's radar for a long time.

"Kevin Kampl is a versatile attacking-midfielder, who we have been observing for some time," he said. "His style of play fits in perfectly with our own."

Kampl has scored 29 in 109 appearances for Salzburg in all competitions, and has won 14 caps for Slovenia.

News of Kampl's arrival follows the announcement that striker Ji Dong-won is set to depart Dortmund for Augsburg.

Dante

Alfrescian
Loyal

Freiburg agree deals for Daehli and Petersen

22 December 2014

761933header.jpg

Freiburg have announced the signings of Mats Moller Daehli and Nils Petersen from Cardiff City and Werder Bremen respectively.

Norway midfielder Daehli was taken to Wales by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, whom he worked with at Molde.

After relegation from the Premier League, Solskjaer departed and since Russell Slade took over at Cardiff in October, Daehli has made just two substitute appearances in the Championship.

On Monday, it was announced that the 19-year-old would join Freiburg - currently bottom of the Bundesliga - in January.

"Mats Moller Daehli is a very interesting player, who we have seen for several years," said Freiburg sporting director Klemens Hartenbach.

"We are therefore very pleased that it worked out and he decided to move to us.

"We gain a technically talented, agile, offensive player who will help our attack in the second half [of the season].

"With his first 19 years he has a considerable experience in the national teams of his country and the English league."

Freiburg also confirmed the acquisition of Petersen, who joins on loan from Bundesliga rivals Bremen.

The 26-year-old forward has made just two league starts for his parent club this season and sporting chief executive Jochen Saier believes it could be a perfect match for both player and club.

"With Nils Petersen we undertook a striker who has already demonstrated his danger in front of goal in recent seasons," he said.

"We are convinced that he will help us with his presence and his final quality. He showed from the first meeting that he's looking for a new start for himself at Freiburg."

Rolfes

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bayern midfielder Martinez ´on track´ with rehab

23 December 2014

762222header.jpg

Bayern Munich midfielder Javi Martinez has revealed he is "on track" with his rehabilitation after undergoing knee surgery.

The Spaniard tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during Bayern's 2-0 defeat to Borussia Dortmund in the DFL Supercup back in August.

Martinez underwent an operation in Colorado a week later and was subsequently ruled out for several months.

The 28-year-old former Athletic Bilbao man is pleased with the progress he is making with his recovery four months after suffering the injury.

He told Bayern's official website: "We're right on track.

"I'm feeling better every day. I'm managing more and more exercise, and that's good for me mentally.

"My leg has to become healthy, and my head has to stay healthy."

Martinez also spoke of the difficulty he had in facing up to the extent of his injury following his operation in the United States.

He added: "That was the most difficult time. You can't walk, and you basically can't do anything. Friends, team-mates and the physios kept geeing me up and wishing me all the best.

"It helped me. But I was really down at times and avoided contact with the team. It wasn't an easy period."

XabiAlonso

Alfrescian
Loyal

Southampton confirm Elia deal

23 December 2014

762430header.jpg

Southampton will sign Werder Bremen winger Eljero Elia on loan in January.

Manager Ronald Koeman announced his intention to bring fellow Dutchman Elia to St Mary's Stadium in a press conference on Tuesday.

And Southampton released a statement a matter of hours later confirming that Elia will arrive on the south coast on January 3 on an initial loan deal until the end of the season, with a view to a permanent transfer.

"Southampton Football Club is delighted to announce that it has reached an agreement over the signing of Eljero Elia," it read.

"Holland international Elia moves from German Bundesliga side Werder Bremen, having previously played in Italy and his homeland.

"The 27 year-old began his career with ADO Den Haag before moving to FC Twente. He then joined Hamburger SV in Germany and spent a brief spell with Juventus before signing for Bremen in 2012.

"Elia has 27 caps for his country, playing at the 2010 FIFA World Cup finals."