• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Bundesliga Season 2014-15 ║

XabiAlonso

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bayern star Alaba set for further tests after injury scare

davidalaba-cropped_jr2sfh8m7pcw13yqr6flu7cl0.jpg

By Christopher Devine
Apr 1, 2015 09:20:21

The 22-year-old was taken off at half time in Austria's 1-1 draw with Bosnia-Herzegovina on Tuesday after Ermin Bicakcic fell on his leg

Bayern Munich are awaiting news on a knee injury suffered by David Alaba in Tuesday's 1-1 friendly draw between Austria and Bosnia-Herzegovina.

The versatile 22-year-old was substituted at half-time at the Ernst Happel Stadium, after hurting his left knee in a collision with Hoffenheim's Ermin Bicakcic, with the latter falling on top of him.

Alaba spent more than two months on the sidelines earlier this season after partially tearing the medial ligament and damaging the meniscus in his right knee during Bayern's 2-0 win over Roma in the group stages of the Champions League.

It seems he could now be set for another lengthy lay-off as he awaits a diagnosis of his latest injury.

"I have very, very strong pain. I can barely walk. I really do not know what's going on," he told reporters.

Austria coach Marcel Koller added: "David has problems with his left knee. He is not so good."

Bayern, who remain in the hunt for three trophies this term and face Borussia Dortmund in the Bundesliga on Saturday, confirmed Alaba will undergo an examination on Wednesday.

Harnik

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ribery: De Bruyne wouldn't suit Bayern Munich

kevin-de-bruyne-wolfsburg-bundesliga-11272014_1mrc3ctycucctzpek5726ygj4.jpg

By Peter McVitie
Apr 1, 2015 12:00:00

The French attacker believes the Wolfsburg star is an excellent player but feels his counterattacking style would be at odds with Pep Guardiola's system

Franck Ribery does not believe Kevin de Bruyne would be a good signing for Bayern Munich and insisted he does not fit their style of play.

The Belgium international has been outstanding for Wolfsburg this season, who sit second in the Bundesliga.

He tops the league's assist charts with 16 - seven more than joint-second Zlatko Junuzovic and Thomas Muller - while he has also scored nine goals, two of which came in the 4-1 thrashing of the champions.

His impeccable form has seen him linked with a number of Europe's top clubs but Ribery thinks he would be at odds with Pep Guardiola's system.

"He's a great player. But when I watch him, I realise that he is different from Arjen Robben and I," he told Sport Bild. "He is not a player who takes the ball and dribbles forward and likes to have the opponents in front of him.

"De Bruyne is great, when he fits the counterattack. At Bayern, however, you usually only have three or four metres in front of you, not a lot of room. But he is a good player and he is still young, so he can still learn."

Ribery also talked about a bust-up with team-mate Arjen Robben in which he punched the Netherlands international during a Champions League semi-final with Real Madrid.

"Just before half-time, we had a free-kick near the goal," he said. "It was a right-footed one and we had to shoot.

"Jupp Heynckes had divided us up: for right-footed free kicks, Toni Kroos and I were to take it; for a left-footed one, it was Arjen. So it was really a decision between Toni and I.

"Arjen, though, was mixed up and said: 'Toni needs to shoot.' I was very upset and right after it, we went in for the half-time break.

"I was hot, he was hot. Then it happened."

Ribery, though, insists the two are friends now.

"I am very pleased with our relationship now. It's a pity that we were not such good friends in the beginning as we are now. We had some discussions.

"But today we are good buddies, we have fun together. He knows how important we both are at Bayern. I've always said that it does not matter who scores more goals or who has more assists between us.

"I'm certainly not jealous of Arjen's goals, it's all about the group. Also, Arjen gets me every goal."

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Borussia Dortmund 0 Bayern Munich 1: Lewandowski returns to haunt BVB

4 April 2015

lewa-7798397378.jpg

Robert Lewandowski proved the scourge of former club Borussia Dortmund with the only goal in Bayern Munich's 1-0 Bundesliga victory.

The Poland international left Signal Iduna Park to join the reigning champions at the end of last season, and it was his 36th-minute header that separated the two sides on Saturday.

Lewandowski had failed to make much of an impact when he returned to Dortmund with Bayern in the Super Cup back in August - a game that his former employers won 2-0.

But he showed his customary predatory instincts to convert the rebound and give Bayern a measure of revenge after Roman Weidenfeller had saved Thomas Muller's initial effort.

Lewandowski refused to celebrate his match-winner as a mark of respect to his old team.

That goal was his second in as many league games against Dortmund this season, after his equaliser in the 2-1 win in November, as he provided a victory that maintains Bayern's 10-point lead over Wolfsburg at the Bundesliga summit.

Pep Guardiola's side were buoyed by Philipp Lahm's first start since November following an ankle injury, and he played 69 minutes before being replaced by Thiago Alcantara, himself making his first appearance for almost a year after a serious knee problem.

Defeat leaves Dortmund 10th in the table, five points adrift of a UEFA Europa League place, while for Bayern it was a welcome return to winning ways after the 2-0 loss to Borussia Monchengladbach prior to the international break.

The opening exchanges were high in intensity, with Bastian Schweinsteiger and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang both cautioned in the first 20 minutes as the tackles flew in.

Muller, recalled to the Bayern side as one of four changes from the loss to Gladbach, had the only notable chance in that period but his lofted effort drifted wide of the target.

The Germany attacker then played a big part in the winner, as Bayern edged in front nine minutes before the interval.

Lewandowski played a pass into Muller, whose shot was parried by Weidenfeller before Lewandowski beat Marcel Schmelzer to the ball and headed into the unguarded net.

Dortmund improved after the break and ought to have been level on the hour mark.

Marco Reus was the beneficiary of a fortunate ricochet as the ball ran kindly into his path, but with just Manuel Neuer to beat, he showed a lack of composure and fired wildly into the side netting.

Two minutes from the end, Dortmund troubled Neuer for the first time when Reus hit a free-kick from 25 yards, but the Germany goalkeeper produced a superb one-handed save low to his right to preserve his clean sheet and ensure Lewandowski his place in the headlines.

XabiAlonso

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bundesliga Review: Lewandowski downs Dortmund

4 April 2015

822355header.jpg

Bayern Munich defeated Borussia Dortmund 1-0 in the Bundesliga as Robert Lewandowski netted the winner against his former club.

Lewandowski moved to Bayern from Dortmund in the close-season, and marked his first league return to Signal Iduna Park with the decisive goal in the 36th minute.

The Poland international reacted quickest to a rebound after Roman Weidenfeller parried Thomas Muller's initial shot, nodding into the unguarded net.

It was his second in as many Bundesliga outings against Dortmund after his effort in the 2-1 win back in November, and victory keeps Bayern 10 points clear at the top of the table.

Behind Bayern, the rest of the top four all enjoyed comfortable victories to further cement their places as the Bundesliga's likely UEFA Champions League representatives next season.

Wolfsburg defeated Stuttgart 3-1 at home, thanks to a brace from Ricardo Rodriguez and Andre Schurrle's first goal for the club.

They remain seven points clear of Borussia Monchengladbach, who thumped Hoffenheim 4-1 away from home.

Patrick Herrmann, who earlier this week extended his contract at the club until 2019, scored twice as the visitors came from behind, with Max Kruse and Raffael also netting.

Gonzalo Castro and Stefan Kiessling each netted braces in Bayer Leverkusen's 4-0 thrashing of struggling Hamburg, while Mike Frantz's goal earned Freiburg a 1-0 victory over Cologne.

Elsewhere, Hannover benefited from a goal off Marcelo's backside as they came from two down to draw 2-2 at Eintracht Frankfurt and the game between Werder Bremen and Mainz ended goalless.

Blaszczykowski

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bundesliga Review: Weinzerl deal buoys Augsburg prior to Schalke stalemate

5 April 2015

822872header.jpg

Augsburg were boosted by the news of a fresh contract for coach Markus Weinzerl prior to Sunday's goalless draw with Schalke at the SGL Arena.

Ahead of a low-key stalemate between two sides hopeful of securing European football, Weinzerl agreed a new deal until 2019 while sporting director Stefan Reuter also penned fresh terms.

The sides are Bayer Leverkusen's closest challengers for the final UEFA Champions League spot, with Roger Schmidt's side enjoying a nine-point cushion after hammering Hamburg on Saturday.

That was closed to eight after Sunday's draw but both sides missed chances to claim maximum points.

Raul Bobadilla went close late on with a free-kick for the hosts while Klaas-Jan Huntelaar had Schalke's best chance as he shot straight at Marwin Hitz when through on goal.

Roberto Di Matteo was left to sweat over midfielder Leon Goretzka, who was withdrawn with a thigh problem, with both sides left with work to do to ensure their top-six spots after seeing hopes of reeling in Leverkusen diminished.

At the bottom, goals from Valentin Stocker and Nico Schulz ensured Hertha Berlin a 2-0 win over Paderborn in the capital.

Stocker made the most of a goalmouth scramble to register his first Bundesliga goal with 22 minutes remaining before Schulz added a second to keep the visitors firmly entrenched in the relegation mire, while Hertha moved seven points clear of the bottom three.

Blaszczykowski

Alfrescian
Loyal

Guardiola: I would like 1,000 Dantes in my team

4 April 2015

pep-guardiola-5464-35147.jpg

Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola hailed Dante after he helped keep Borussia Dortmund at bay during Saturday's 1-0 Bundesliga triumph.

Guardiola's side prevailed thanks to Robert Lewandowski's first-half header, the Poland international returning to haunt his former club on his first league visit back to Signal Iduna Park.

Dortmund had the majority of the possession in the second half, but were unable to find an equaliser as Dante, Jerome Boateng and Medhi Benatia kept the door firmly shut.

"I can only congratulate my team, especially Dante," Guardiola said of the defender, who was making only his third league start in the last two months.

"To him I would like to dedicate the win today. He is an incredibly important player for us. I'd like 1,000 Dantes in my team.

"In the first half it was incredibly difficult, in the second we defended very well, but did not play well.

"I would actually like to have played differently today than we played. But I also have to pay attention to who is available.

"I would have liked to have more physical strength in midfield. It's not easy to win in Dortmund. They have great quality.

"We have managed an important step, we have to win four times in order to be champions."

Philipp Lahm made his first start since November after fracturing an ankle, and was replaced with 20 minutes to go by Thiago Alcantara, making his first appearance for a year following a serious knee injury.

"In the end it was tight," Lahm said. Dortmund have an outstanding team. We defended well, we had far too little possession.

"It was a hard-earned victory. For years, Dortmund were our fiercest competitor and it is something special to win in Dortmund."

MarcelSchmelzer

Alfrescian
Loyal

Klopp: Bayern deserved to win

4 April 2015

822463header.jpg

Borussia Dortmund head coach Jurgen Klopp felt Bayern Munich deserved their 1-0 victory over his side in Saturday's Bundesliga meeting.

Klopp watched on as former Dortmund man Robert Lewandowski marked his first league return to Signal Iduna Park with the only goal in a tight contest.

Lewandowski nodded in a rebound after Thomas Muller's shot was saved by Roman Weidenfeller and, despite enjoying the majority of possession after the interval, Dortmund failed to force an equaliser.

Defeat capped a miserable day for Dortmund, after their team bus was attacked prior to the game.

None of the players were in the bus at the time, as the vehicle suffered a smashed window and a damaged rear wheel while parked outside the team's hotel.

"The first 10 minutes were completely fine," Klopp said. "After that it was not so good, we had too few chances.

"Bayern sat deep and played very physically robust, we could not get our way. In the last zone we lacked punch.

"The second half was okay because we had our opportunities but, overall, it was not enough against Bayern. We lacked clarity.

"In many small moments Bayern were better, so they deserved to win."

Mats Hummels rued Marco Reus' miss on the hour, when the forward fired wide with just Manuel Neuer to beat, while the goalkeeper also produced a superb save two minutes from time to keep out the Germany attacker's free-kick.

"The effectiveness has made ​​all the difference," Hummels said. "Bayern were not the better team, I can only remember two chances. We had not much more, but a bit more.

"It is unfortunate to have lost. Unfortunately you do not get 15 chances against Bayern.

"We had a huge opportunity when Marco ran alone on Neuer. And the free-kick at the end, he [Neuer] showed he's world class."

Harnik

Alfrescian
Loyal

Schurrle relieved to end goal drought

5 April 2015

822620header.jpg

Wolfsburg forward Andre Schurrle thanked the club's supporters and admitted his goalscoring drought was "eating away" him after the Germany international scored for the first time.

Schurrle netted his first Wolfsburg goal since joining from Premier League high-flyers Chelsea in February as Dieter Hecking's men accounted for Stuttgart 3-1 in Bundesliga action on Saturday.

The 24-year-old's strike was his first goal in eight league appearances for Wolfsburg, who strengthened their grip on second spot in the standings.

"It was about time I scored. I've missed a lot of chances here and I'm just happy to have hit the target now," Schurrle said afterwards.

"I have to admit that the fact I hadn't scored for such a long time had been eating away at me a bit, so I'm very happy but the most important thing is that we won three points.

"I'd like to say a big thank you to all the fans here to receiving me so well and supporting me. I'm happy to be here and I'm sure we'll have a lot more to celebrate in the future."

Wolfsburg are seven points clear of Borussia Monchengladbach following Saturday's win at Volkswagen Arena.

Ricardo Rodriguez set the tone for Wolfsburg after converting a 41st-minute penalty, only for Stuttgart to respond three minutes later thanks to Martin Harnik as the teams went into the break on level terms.

Stuttgart came unstuck in the 65th minute following a successful long-range free-kick from Rodriguez before Schurrle completed the scoring with 14 minutes remaining.

"We were expecting a difficult game because Stuttgart have good individual players and they're a good team," Schurrle added.

"It's tough against them because they throw everything at you and they really need the points. We were a bit shaky at the back, especially defending crosses - that's how we conceded - but then I think our quality shone through in the second half.

"We put them under pressure and created chances, so I think we deserved to win."

Philipp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lahm: Bayern need more possession

philipp-lahm-bayern-munich-borussia-dortmund-bundesliga-04042015_etpfkyi9lmew185gc0q9zar11.jpg

By Joe Wright
Apr 5, 2015 12:01:12

The captain was unhappy after the champions recorded their worst passing statistics in almost four years in the win over Borussia Dortmund

Bayern Munich captain Philipp Lahm was less than impressed with his side's possession play in the 1-0 win over Borussia Dortmund on Saturday.

A solitary goal from Robert Lewandowski in the first half was enough to seal the points for the leaders in a scrappy game at Signal Iduna Park.

Bayern and Dortmund had equal possession throughout the 90 minutes and Pep Guardiola's side completed just 78.1 per cent of their passes - their lowest total in the Bundesliga since their 8-1 destruction of St Pauli in May 2011.

And while he was happy with their defensive display, Lahm accepts his side's use of the ball must improve in the coming weeks.

"It was close right to the end," he told the club's official website. "We defended well, only Marco Reus had the one chance from open play.

"We weren't good in possession and we had too little of the ball. It was a hard-working victory. Winning in Dortmund is always a bit special."

Bastian Schweinsteiger picked up a knock in the match but sporting director Matthias Sammer is confident it was nothing serious.

"It's not too bad," he told ZDF. "Basti's a tough guy. We hope to have him back in a day or two."

Subotic

Alfrescian
Loyal

'Football is my life' - Thiago thrilled at Bayern comeback

philipp-lahm-thiago-fc-bayern-bundesliga-04042015_12couymsru76q1mm98rp4z6vz9.jpg

By Joe Wright
Apr 5, 2015 13:37:39

The midfielder admits it was an emotional moment when he came on as a substitute against Dortmund to make his first appearance in a year

Thiago Alcantara could barely contain his delight after making his first Bayern Munich appearance in 12 months against Borussia Dortmund.

The Spain international replaced Philipp Lahm as second-half substitute in Saturday's 1-0 win, having been out of action since March 29 last year when he suffered a serious knee injury against Hoffenheim.

The 23-year-old's brother Rafinha tweeted "The magic has returned!" as he returned to a rapturous reception and Thiago was eager to pay tribute to everyone at the club for their support.

"It's crazy. I have to thank everyone: the club, the coaches, my team-mates. They've all been really supportive," he told Bayern's official website.

"The fans have helped me. It was an emotional moment. I'm very happy.

"Some people think football is just a game, but when I saw how emotional the fans were, I knew: football is my life."

Thiago admits he is still far from full fitness but is now hoping to get back into the side as Pep Guardiola's men continue their hunt for the treble.

"I'm not ready for 90 minutes, I felt tired after 10!" he added. "My goals haven't changed: to win games and win titles."

MarcelSchmelzer

Alfrescian
Loyal

Klopp demands more from goal-shy Dortmund

6 April 2015

823316header.jpg

Borussia Dortmund must put their recent poor run in front of goal behind them quickly, says Jurgen Klopp.

Defeat to Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich on Saturday may not have been too much of a surprise, but the 1-0 loss meant Dortmund failed to score for the fourth time in five matches across all competitions.

Dortmund face Hoffenheim in the DFB Pokal quarter-finals on Tuesday, and Klopp has challenged his forwards to pose more of a threat in the final third.

"In-scoring areas we lack determination," he said. "It's about standard situations, but also the behaviour around the box.

"We are often 18 metres from goal, but then do not have the ideas to convert.

"We need to be tough and get into promsing positions that make it difficult for teams to defend against."

Two of Klopp's forward players – Marco Reus and Ciro Immobile – have suffered knocks in the lead-up to the Hoffenheim game.

The coach added: "Marco Reus was treated intensively [after the Bayern game], but there should be no problem for Tuesday, nobody has looked worried.

"Ciro Immobile completed a training program on Sunday that would not have been possible on Saturday, but playing a match is something different.

"We will have to wait and see."

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bayern can win Champions League again - Ribery

7 April 2015

823617header.jpg

Franck Ribery says Bayern Munich have sufficient quality to win the UEFA Champions League again this year despite being troubled by injuries of late.

Ribery missed Saturday's win over Borussia Dortmund as he continued to recover from an ankle injury while Pep Guardiola also saw Bastian Schweinsteiger limp off in the second half.

David Alaba is a long-term absentee and faces a race to play again this season, with Bayern set to play Porto next week in the first leg of their Champions League quarter-final.

Having won the European title at Wembley two years ago, Ribery is confident Bayern can repeat the feat in Berlin this year.

"We can win the Champions League again," he told Perform.

"We have a good team and good players. But everybody know that it is difficult. The level is completely different than in the Bundesliga and in the DFB-Pokal. Now we have a few injured players and that makes it even more difficult.

"We still have two months, and a lot of games, also very important games. You have to wait until everyone is back, but then we have a good chance I think.

"If you have won this title once, that’s awesome. This is a great title. It's a good feeling for the club, your career and for the fans. I hope we're able to win the Champions League again before the end of my career. That would be great."

Ribery has enjoyed the form of his career at the Allianz Arena following a move from Marseille in 2007, winning four Bundesliga titles and four DFB-Pokal trophies.

However, the 32-year-old does not yet know what the future holds, adding: "I have no idea. I don't know yet. My contract runs for two years. That's fine.

"I feel very comfortable in Munich and my family is doing well. Bayern will always have a place in my heart and what I need, I can accomplish here."

Dante

Alfrescian
Loyal

Schweinsteiger out of Bayern´s Pokal quarter-final

7 April 2015

823683header.jpg

Bastian Schweinsteiger will miss Bayern Munich's DFB-Pokal quarter-final against Bayer Leverkusen on Wednesday due to an ankle injury.

The midfielder was withdrawn after 58 minutes of Bayern's win at Borussia Dortmund at the weekend after hurting his left ankle and subsequently missed training on Monday.

While Bayern looked to allay fears he faced a lengthy absence, Pep Guardiola confirmed on Tuesday that the Germany captain would not be available at the BayArena.

"Schweinsteiger is definitely out," he explained, before adding there was no set date for Franck Ribery's return following an ankle problem.

With Schweinsteiger and Ribery missing along with Arjen Robben and David Alaba, Guardiola also dismissed suggestions his Bayern side would be significantly weakened for the last-eight clash.

"The injuries do not matter. We have many young players, we have 16 players who want to help the club and with them we will fly to Leverkusen," Guardiola added.

"It's a final. We have seen Bayer Leverkusen. They played very well in the Champions League and the Bundesliga. I admired this team from the beginning.

"We did not play well in Dortmund, but we won. The opposition was good but I am very proud of my team.

"The team must help Philipp Lahm. He is not at his normal level after four months out but he is always there and can help the team. Philipp is an example for me and for the team."

Harnik

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thiago is a genius, says Rummenigge

bayern-munich-star-thiago-alcantara_kdnvb2lzofdy1vlj71y17oo88.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Apr 7, 2015 07:56:16

The gifted midfielder impressed the Bayern boss with a fine outing against Dortmund at the weekend as he is slowly approaching peak fitness after a lengthy spell on the sidelines

Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has voiced his admiration for Thiago Alcantara and feels the Spanish midfielder showed glimpses of genius during his cameo in the 1-0 Bundesliga win over Borussia Dortmund at the weekend.

The 23-year-old joined Bayern from Barcelona in the summer of 2013, but a series of injuries has so far prevented him from living up to the high expectations.

A knee injury kept Thiago out of action in the first half of the 2014-15 campaign, yet he recently returned to training and made his long-awaited comeback against BVB on Saturday.

The Spain international replaced Philipp Lahm in midfield with 20 minutes on the clock and Rummenigge was thoroughly impressed with the playmaker's performance.

"The way Thiago treats the ball, there is a certain genius about it," the Bayern supremo was quoted as saying by Bild.

Thiago will be looking to get more game time in Wednesday's DFB-Pokal quarter-final versus Bayer Leverkusen at the BayArena.

The midfielder has a contract with Bayern until June 2017.

MatsHummels

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dortmund do not depend on Reus & Aubameyang, insists Klopp

pierre-emerick-aubameyang-marco-reus-borussia-dortmund-german-bundesliga-28022015_hsmicvheidpw1jg3l9tx3xlk3.jpg

Apr 6, 2015 17:01:12

The BVB boss urged all his attacking players to improve upon their recent form and hopes to see a repeat of their league performance against Hoffenheim in the DFB-Pokal

Borussia Dortmund do not depend on Marco Reus and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, according to head coach Jurgen Klopp.

A 1-0 defeat to Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich on Saturday meant Dortmund failed to score for the fourth time in five matches across all competitions.

Dortmund face Hoffenheim in the DFB-Pokal quarter-finals on Tuesday and Klopp has challenged all his players to step up their efforts in front of goal.

“Every team is somehow dependent on individual players. But depending on Reus or Aubameyang in general is not our problem," he told reporters.

"In scoring areas, we lack determination. We are often 18 yards from goal, but then do not have the ideas to convert the chances.

"We need to be tough and get into promising positions that make it difficult for teams to defend against.

"It was clear that we wouldn't create 20 chances against Bayern. We are aware that we have to be more consistent in attack. But we must not act as if we played disastrously against Bayern."

Klopp is confident Reus will be available to face Hoffenheim but revealed the fitness of Ciro Immobile is not yet clear.

"Marco Reus was treated intensively after Bayern, but there should be no problem for Tuesday - nobody has looked worried," he said.

"Ciro Immobile completed a training program on Sunday that would not have been possible on Saturday, but playing a match is something different."

Hoffenheim suffered a 4-1 home defeat to Borussia Monchengladbach on Saturday but Klopp was more eager to recall his own side's 1-0 victory back in December, which helped trigger their surge away from the bottom three.

He continued: "That loss surely won't help them, but they had big injury problems and Ermin Bicakcic was suspended. Eugen Polanski and Pirmin Schwegler are also important players for Hoffenheim, who were missing.

"In the first half of the season we played one of our few really good games against Hoffenheim. That is our benchmark, rather than their match against Gladbach.

"I hope the cup is not our last chance to get something positive from the season."

Gundogan

Alfrescian
Loyal

Alonso targets cup hat-trick as Bayern continue treble push

xabialonso-cropped_1yo0kybpvhcs1qx21pbidnlyy.jpg

Apr 6, 2015 15:48:16

The midfielder is eager to add a DFB-Pokal winners' medal to his collection, while Thomas Muller has warned that his side are in for an uncomfortable game

Bayern Munich midfielder Xabi Alonso has his sights set on winning the domestic cup competition in a third different country.

The Spaniard won the FA Cup with Liverpool in 2006, before two Copa del Rey trophies with Real Madrid in 2011 and 2014.

And, as Bayern prepare for Wednesday's DFB-Pokal quarter-final at Bayer Leverkusen, Alonso is aiming to complete a hat-trick of cup victories.

"I have won the cup in England and Spain. I want to win it here, too," he said.

"Leverkusen are tough to beat. They are a good side and always look to attack. We will need a top performance - it is make or break."

Bayern welcomed Thiago Alcantara back from the bench late in Saturday's 1-0 win at Borussia Dortmund, the midfielder having missed a year with a serious knee injury.

"It is great that he is there again," Alonso said.

"We have seen in those few minutes his enormous qualities. He is so strong on the ball, in one-on-ones and we need a player like that in the big games."

Thomas Muller, meanwhile, has warned that Leverkusen will do their utmost to make life "uncomfortable" - but has challenged his team-mates to end their strong recent defensive run.

"Leverkusen are in excellent shape and they use a style of play which is very uncomfortable for their opponents," said the Germany forward.

"It's a cup game, anything can happen. So we will need a top performance to go through.

"I think it's a good sign that Leverkusen had five clean sheets in a row recently. At some point they have to conceed a goal again."

Blaszczykowski

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bender: Dortmund not good enough going forward

sven-bender-borussia-dortmund-david-alaba-bayern-munich-german-bundesliga-01112014_1g4fqejfp101u1nj5roq7lqnva.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Apr 6, 2015 09:37:45

The midfielder has acknowledged they have struggled in attack and has urged his team-mates to step up their game in front of goal

Sven Bender has voiced his frustration with Borussia Dortmund's inability to score goals in the wake of their 1-0 Bundesliga loss at home to Bayern Munich on Saturday.

Jurgen Klopp's men have failed to score in four of their last five league games, with poor form seeing them drop further behind the Champions League places.

Bender has admitted BVB must do better in front of goal and has called for improvement in Tuesday's DFB Pokal encounter with Hoffenheim.

"You can only progress to the next round if you score goals," Bender was quoted as saying by Reviersport.

"It's not prohibited for any of us to score a goal. A defender could also find the net after a set piece.

"Everything is allowed and we should all do something extra to try and score."

Dortmund have scored 34 goals in 27 Bundesliga matches so far this term, while netting 15 more in eight Champions League games.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang leads the club's goalscoring charts at the moment with 18 goals in 36 appearances in all competitions.

Philipp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Gotze accepts substitute role, claims Sammer

mario-gotze-bayern-munich-cska-moscow-champions-league-10122014_149s3eew47ip013ix9fohdpiho.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Apr 6, 2015 09:22:08

The Bavarians' director of football has downplayed suggestions that the Germany international was unhappy to have been dropped for Saturday's win

Bayern Munich sporting director Matthias Sammer has stressed that Mario Gotze was fine with Pep Guardiola's decision to bench him versus Borussia Dortmund.

The Germany international was desperate to make an impact against his former team heading into the game, but eventually had to settle for a substitute's role in his side's 1-0 win.

Gotze only featured for the final 10 minutes of the game after replacing Thomas Muller, but Sammer has insisted the 2014 World Cup winner realises the team's interests come first.

"Of course, Mario would have preferred to play from the start," Sammer was quoted as saying by TZ.

"We are Bayern Munich, though. The individual has to realise the team's success comes first.

"And Mario understood and accepted this.

"There are plenty of big games coming up and we have to be flexible. He will get the chance to score some important goals in the weeks to come and everything is alright again then."

Gotze has been a key figure for Bayern this term, scoring nine goals in 25 Bundesliga appearances.

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Draxler thrilled to be back in contention

8 April 2015

824393header.jpg

Schalke star Julian Draxler is approaching full fitness after spending much of the season sidelined with a torn hamstring.

The Germany international sustained the problem against Augsburg at the end of October, and was forced to undergo surgery.

With Schalke set to host Freiburg in the Bundesliga on Saturday, Draxler has been training fully with the squad and is nearing a return.

"I have now trained two or three times at the same level and have no pain," he told Kicker.

"That's the most important thing and I'm just happy that everything has healed well.

"I'm trying to show myself in training now so that the coach sees me as an option.

"The five months has been gnawing at me. At first it was quite nice to watch the games from a different perspective but ultimately it was not easy to keep my feet still.

"There's nothing like standing on the grass."

Blaszczykowski

Alfrescian
Loyal

Police investigating Spahic´s alleged headbutt on steward

9 April 2015

825023header.jpg

Police have confirmed that they are investigating after Emir Spahic appeared to headbutt a steward following Bayer Leverkusen's DFB-Pokal defeat to Bayern Munich on Wednesday.

Spahic played 90 minutes of normal time before coming off with ankle injury as Leverkusen lost the quarter-final clash - which ended 0-0 after extra time - 5-3 on penalties.

The Bosnia-Herzegovina international said that he will miss the rest of the season with the problem, but could face a long ban and potential criminal charges after footage looked to show him launch his head into that of a steward at the BayArena.

Leverkusen police spokesperson Stefanie Becker told the SID news agency: "It has been reported. We're investigating in all directions."