• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ La Liga Season 2014-15 ║

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

I have not moved to Real Madrid sit on the bench - Hernandez

451272_heroa.jpg

Sep 10, 2014 17:42:46

The Mexico international says he is thrilled at the chance to learn from Karim Benzema at Santiago Bernabeu - but insists he will fight him for a place in the team

Javier 'Chicharito' Hernandez has insisted he has not moved to Real Madrid to sit on the bench.

The Mexico forward signed a season-long loan deal from Manchester United to provide depth to a Madrid attack which saw its out-and-out striking options blunted by the sale of Alvaro Morata to Juventus.

Chicharito is likely to play a support role to the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale and Karim Benzema at Real but is adamant he will compete with the Frenchman for a spot.

"No one trains to be a back-up," Hernandez told Neox TV .

"I'm a football player and there are 11 starters, so the ones on the outside are always waiting for a chance and no player will say that they train to wait on the outside.

"I know I will have to face Benzema, as happened to me when I arrived at Manchester. It is normal to compete for a spot.

"I am delighted to be with Karim. I've had competition at Manchester United from [Dimitar] Berbatov, [Wayne] Rooney or [Robin] Van Persie and learned from the best in the world."

Chicharito could make his Real debut against Atletico Madrid on Saturday.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Khedira undergoes knee surgery

447770_heroa.jpg

Sep 10, 2014 14:38:19

The Germany international has opted for treatment on a troublesome left knee problem as he is currently sidelined with a hamstring injury

Real Madrid midfielder Sami Khedira has undergone surgery on a knee problem.

The Germany international is currently sidelined with a hamstring injury, but has also now received treatment on his left knee.

Khedira missed most of last season after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, before suffering a strain in the other at the World Cup earlier this year.

A Real statement released on Wednesday read: "Sami Khedira, who is currently out injured with a left hamstring problem, has undergone an arthroscopic revision on his left knee.

"The procedure went successfully and was conducted by Dr Ulrich Boenisch at the Hessingpark Clinic in Augsburg with the supervision of Dr Jesus Olmo.

"The player will continue to be treated by the Sanitas Real Madrid Medical Services in the next few days."

Khedira's current hamstring problem has caused consternation between Madrid and Germany due to a dispute over where the 27-year-old first picked up the problem.

Real host local rivals and Spanish champions Atletico Madrid in La Liga on Saturday.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Barcelona bosses have failed to control Messi and Neymar - Cruyff

455058_heroa.jpg

Sep 12, 2014 16:01:33

The former Netherlands star believes coaches have not managed the stars correctly - just as David Moyes did at Manchester United

Former Barcelona boss Johan Cruyff feels the club has gone backwards in recent years due to the coaches' inability to "control" the likes of Lionel Messi and Neymar.

Cruyff was outspoken following the signing of the Brazil international last summer, claiming Messi should have been sold in order to accommodate the ex-Santos man into the side under Gerardo Martino.

Barca endured disappointing campaigns in Europe and La Liga last term, prompting Martino to depart the head coach post, and Cruyff considers his exit was in part down to a mismanagement of star names - something he believes was also behind David Moyes' failure as Manchester United manager.

"I still like Barca very much. I also like [Real] Madrid. Barca also went back a little because of the people they put as coaches," Cruyff told The Guardian.

"I’m not saying they’re good or bad coaches but it’s very difficult to control a Messi and a Neymar. If you don’t control them it’s a problem. It’s the same thing with David Moyes and Manchester United.

"Some people can control certain players and you need that – otherwise it will not work. Moyes is a good coach – just not for Man United."

Cruyff went on to describe the lightning-fast play of Messi and Andres Iniesta, claiming the Barca stars have learned from both himself and current Bayern Munich boss Pep Guardiola when it comes to overcoming their playing deficiencies.

“Normally I would say that the most important thing for a coach is that he [overcame] difficulties when he was young," he said. "Look at Guardiola and myself. Like me, he was very thin and so he had to take care of his technique.

"You see it with Iniesta and Messi too. They must do something quick otherwise they will never get there. It means that they are aware of all the details. You have to think quicker and see more things. And if you see more things you can help more people.”

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

'Football's not a game for girls' - Ancelotti defends Atletico's style

455027_heroa.jpg

Sep 12, 2014 12:38:52

The coach sees nothing wrong with the intensity which the Rojiblancos show in matches and confirmed that Cristiano Ronaldo is fit to play in the Madrid derby

Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti has rejected suggestions that Atletico Madrid are a violent team and insisted "football is not a game for girls".

The Madrid derbies have become even feistier than usual over the past two years as Diego Simeone's men have gone from Europa League spot contenders to Champions League finalists and La Liga winners.

Criticism has been levelled at the combative style of play which teams can expect when they face Atletico, but Ancelotti has defended Real's rivals' right to fight for every ball.

"Atletico are not a violent team - they are intense and aggressive," the Italian said at a press conference ahead of Saturday's clash at the Santiago Bernabeu.

"Football is a sport for men, it is not a game for girls."

However, Ancelotti disagreed with Simeone's claim that Atletico are a team of the people in Spain, rather than the footballing goliaths of Barcelona and Real Madrid.

"I think football is for the people, not just a team," he continued. "All teams have fans all over the world. It's a sport for the people."

Ancelotti also revealed that star forward Cristiano Ronaldo is in perfect shape for the Madrid derby, after two weeks of rest during the international break.

The Ballon d'Or holder played no part in Real Madrid's last game a fortnight ago - which the European champions lost 4-2 at Real Sociedad - but the former Paris Saint-Germain and Chelsea boss says his fitness woes are over for now.

"Cristiano is in perfect physical condition, he has no problems," he added.

"He has been training very well. He does not have a chronic injury - last season it was a different injury which was the problem, so it's nothing chronic."

The Madrid derby kicks off at 20:00CET on Saturday.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Barcelona to wear Catalan kit at Camp Nou for first time

385218_heroa.jpg

Sep 12, 2014 11:02:05

The Blaugrana will don their third strip for Saturday's La Liga clash in a unique move which will also see the visitors wear the colours of the Basque flag

By Kris Voakes

Barcelona will wear the colours of the Catalan flag in a home fixture for the first time in their 115-year history on Saturday.

For the visit of Athletic Bilbao in La Liga, the Blaugrana have decided they will wear the yellow and red striped strip which acted as their away kit last season and is now used as their third-choice outfit.

The strip, known as the ‘Senyera’ after the name of the Catalan flag which it resembles, has been a big hit with fans of the club. It has also been seen as the latest move by the club to affiliate itself with the push for Catalan independence.

For their part, Athletic will be wearing their second-choice kit of a green shirt, white shorts and red socks, which itself resembles the Basque flag known as the Ikurrina.

Barcelona’s decision comes in the week of the National Day of Catalunya on September 11, but a club statement has insisted that is not the reasoning behind the change.

“The Senyera shirt is not being worn because of September 11,” the statement said. “We are doing it to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the fall of Barcelona at the hands of the troops of Phillip V and the French in 1714.”

The matchday three fixture at Camp Nou kicks off at 16:00 CET on Saturday.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real Madrid bought me to win them La Decima - Bale

454901_heroa.jpg

Sep 12, 2014 17:49:13

The Wales star says he had nothing to prove to the club after his world-record move and is determined to retain the Champions League

Gareth Bale feels Real Madrid were willing to spend €100 million to sign him as they believed he could help win them La Decima.

The Wales international joined from Tottenham for a world-record fee and played a pivotal role as Madrid claimed their 10th European title, in addition to the Copa del Rey.

“The club had been chasing [the Champions League] for I think 12 years and it was a reason they brought me in - to try and make the team stronger to win that Champions League, and to do it in my first season was a dream come true. Not just for me but for everybody," he said in an interview with BT Sport.

“It was a good first season. To win the 10th Champions League for Madrid was obviously a big target for everybody at the club and for me personally to do it in my first season was a dream come true.

“Obviously the Copa del Rey is another major trophy which is always great to win."

Bale also insisted that he had nothing to prove to the Santiago Bernabeu faithful following his drawn-out transfer saga and staggering price tag.

“For me personally, I think if I just play my football then hopefully they will be satisfied so, I didn’t feel like I had to do anything extra special to prove myself,” he said.

“I feel like I’ve done that in previous seasons at Tottenham, and hopefully last season as well.

“I think for me, I knew I was going to the biggest club in the world, and I fully believed that if I played my football then I’d contribute well enough and thankfully that happened last season."

Not content with just one Champions League winners' medal, Bale is determined to help his side become the first to defend their crown since the tournament was rebranded.

“I think the Champions League is always special to any player and a club like Madrid, as I said, is known for its big European nights and winning the Champions League so I would probably say that it’s our biggest target,” he added.

“We want to win every trophy as well. That’s something that we’re obviously looking forward to, that we’re excited about, and it’s what we’ll be working hard all season to try and do.”

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Maxi Rodriguez: Real Madrid did not value Di Maria

446794_heroa.jpg

Sep 11, 2014 15:16:29

The former Atletico midfielder feels other players were favoured at Santiago Bernabeu, while captain Gabi says the Argentine caused them the most damage

Maxi Rodriguez believes Angel Di Maria was not valued enough during his time at Real Madrid.

The Argentina star left for Manchester United in a €75 million deal this summer after finding his place in the first team usurped by new signings Toni Kroos and James Rodriguez.

His compatriot and former Atletico Madrid midfielder Rodriguez, who played alongside Di Maria at the World Cup this summer, claims the European champions considered other players as priority during the 26-year-old's time in Spain.

"I don't think Real Madrid valued Di Maria as they did other players," he told television programme Al Primer Toque.

Atletico captain Gabi, meanwhile, feels Di Maria was the player who caused his side the biggest problems during derby matches as the two sides prepare to face off in La Liga on Saturday.

"The one who did the most damage when we played them was Di Maria, it was he who dictated the pace of the game," he said to Cadena Cope.

"We have achieved things no-one thought possible, but the past is gone - now we must be judged by what we do this season."

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Messi set to face Bilbao

12 September 2014

648491header.jpg

Luis Enrique has revealed that Lionel Messi should be fit for Barcelona's clash with Athletic Bilbao on Saturday.

The mercurial forward missed Argentina's friendly victory over Germany last week due to a groin strain sustained in Barca's victory over Villarreal almost a fortnight ago.

Barca resume their La Liga campaign when they face Athletic this weekend and coach Enrique is content that Messi is ready to return.

"In principle Messi is ready to play. He has worked at same level as group," said Enrique.

Enrique spoke of his respect for Saturday's opponents ahead of the clash at Camp Nou and expects a major test from the Basque side.

"Bilbao have been a reference point for a few seasons now," he said.

"I admire their youth policy and the way they play.

"Everything about Bilbao worries me. We'll try and ensure they can't play their attacking game. We've been working on that."

The Catalan giants are the only side in La Liga with a 100 per cent record after their first two games.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

La Liga Preview: Madrid rivals do battle again

10 September 2014

646407header.jpg

City rivals Real and Atletico Madrid clash for the third time in less than a month in the pick of this weekend's La Liga fixtures.

As the Liga season resumes following an international break, the Madrid derby and Barcelona's tricky home clash against Athletic Bilbao stand out.

Diego Simeone's Atletico were surprise Liga title winners last term before their season was soured somewhat by defeat to Real after extra time in the UEFA Champions League final.

And while it may be stretching the truth to suggest that Atletico's Supercopa de Espana win over Real – 2-1 over two legs last month – was a form of revenge, they will hope to get one over their rivals again at the Santiago Bernabeu on Saturday.

Atletico defender Cristian Ansaldi has revealed his side have spent the last fortnight planning to face Real, telling the club's official website: "This is a game that has been in the works for some time.

"Since we finished our last match, the team has been thinking about Real Madrid."

Real could hand striker Javier Hernandez a debut after he arrived on loan from Manchester United before the transfer window closed.

Carlo Ancelotti has added James Rodriguez, Toni Kroos and Hernandez to a squad already brimming with world-class talent, but he has already been criticised for letting winger Angel di Maria and midfielder Xabi Alonso leave the club.

Real sit 10th in the embryonic Liga table after losing 4-2 at Real Sociedad last time out, while Atletico are sixth.

Cristiano Ronaldo missed the Sociedad defeat due to a lack of fitness and he also sat out Portugal's shock loss to Albania on Sunday, but is expected to return after training this week.

Barcelona top the division after wins against Elche and Villarreal in a bright start to Luis Enrique's tenure.

And while the visit of Bilbao is sure to test them, Barca will take confidence from the fact they have won their last 10 home Liga clashes against the side.

Bilbao did beat them last year – Iker Muniain's second-half strike proving enough at San Mames.

"We know what we are capable of and if we play at 100 per cent then we can beat anyone," Bilbao midfielder Benat Etxebarria is quoted as saying in AS.

Sociedad will hope to build on their big win over Real Madrid when they visit unbeaten Celta Vigo on Saturday.

Other undefeated sides – Valencia, Granada and Sevilla – host Espanyol, Villarreal and Getafe respectively, all on Sunday.

Two teams promoted from the second tier last term, Eibar and Deportivo La Coruna, do battle on Monday.

Elsewhere, Almeria face Cordoba on Friday, while Malaga take on Levante and Rayo Vallecano tackle Elche.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Review: Atletico claim bragging rights, Neymar inspires Barca

13 September 2014

650341header.jpg

Atletico Madrid claimed the bragging rights with a 2-1 win at Real Madrid, while Neymar scored twice as Barcelona beat Athletic Bilbao.

Arda Turan came off the bench to earn the champions all three points from their derby clash in La Liga at Santiago Bernabeu, with the initial breakthrough arriving after just 10th minutes when Tiago headed home from a Koke corner.

Real fought their way back into the clash and had the chance to restore parity when Cristiano Ronaldo was clumsily tripped by Guilherme Siqueira in the penalty area.

Ronaldo – returning from injury – confidently beat Miguel Angel Moya from 12 yards in the 26th minute to level.

Karim Benzema wasted several opportunities to put Real ahead and Carlo Ancelotti's men were punished in the 14 minutes from time when substitute Arda scored the winner, rounding off a fantastic team move.

Luis Enrique's Barca side made it three wins out of three by beating Athletic 2-0 at Camp Nou.

The Catalan giants enjoyed significant spells of pressure and played some eye-catching football, but wasted numerous chances.

Athletic goalkeeper Gorka Iraizoz enjoyed an interesting duel with Munir El Haddadi, whom he denied on several occasions, and the former Espanyol man looked destined to claim a clean sheet.

Ernesto Valverde's Athletic rarely tested Claudio Bravo at the other end and they never looked capable of stealing a first league win at Camp Nou since November 2001.

Barca's woes in front of goal continued into the second period, but Neymar's entrance provided a much-needed impact as he opened the scoring with 12 minutes to go following a well-weighted pass from Lionel Messi.

Neymar made sure of the win a few moments later as he found the bottom-right corner, again after clever play by Messi, as Barca recorded an 11th successive league win over Athletic at Camp Nou.

Real Sociedad came from 2-0 down to salvage a 2-2 draw at Celta Vigo.

Jagoba Arrasate's men were 2-0 down to Real Madrid last time out before going on to win 4-2, and although they could not claim all three points in Vigo, they would have been relieved with a draw.

Goals from Fabian Orellana and Joaquin Larrivey gave Celta a deserved 2-0 lead early in the second half, but they failed to see out the match.

Imanol Agirretxe pulled one back with 21 minutes to go and then Jonny Castro turned Esteban Granero's cross past his own goalkeeper to gift the visitors a point in stoppage time.

The day's other fixture saw Malaga host Levante at La Rosaleda, with the match ending goalless.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Review: Valencia continue resurgence, Sevilla ignore goalkeeper crisis

14 September 2014

651501header.jpg

New-look Valencia's resurgence continued with a confident 3-1 win over Espanyol on Sunday, while Sevilla triumphed amid a goalkeeper crisis.

Valencia have invested heavily following a disappointing eighth-placed finish last season, with Singaporean billionaire Peter Lim set to complete a takeover of the club.

And new coach Nuno Espirito Santo saw his side make it seven points out of nine with a routine home success.

Valencia moved ahead after just seven minutes when Rodrigo – one of their close-season additions – cut a pass back from the byline for Pablo Piatti to sweep home.

Captain Dani Parejo added a second 18 minutes after the break, poking home from the edge of the area after breaking into space, and a third goal was not long in coming.

Paco Alcacer, fresh from earning his first Spain caps in the recent international break, tapped in from close range to put the result beyond doubt, with Sergio Garcia's late penalty nothing more than a consolation for Espanyol.

Sevilla's preparation for the visit of Getafe did not go to plan as coach Unai Emery was unable to choose either of his first-team goalkeepers.

Beto, one of the heroes of their triumphant Europa League campaign last season, was missing with a hamstring strain and his deputy Mariano Barbosa – a recent acquisition from Las Palmas – sat out with a thigh problem.

Nevertheless, Sevilla were able to record a 2-0 win, with Carlos Bacca netting a 44th-minute opener from the penalty spot after a foul by Vicente Guaita on Grzegorz Krychowiak.

Aleix Vidal grabbed a late second for Sevilla, but things could have been different as the goal came from a quick break after Sergio Rico had produced a fine save to deny Getafe an equaliser.

The day's early kick-off saw Elche claim a commendable 3-2 victory against Rayo Vallecano at Estadio Vallecas.

Gael Kakuta, on loan at Rayo from Chelsea, cancelled out Edu Albacar's opener just before the break, cutting into the area from the left and delivering a low finish past Przemyslaw Tyton.

However, goals from Jonathas and Pedro Mosquera put Elche back in charge and Alberto Bueno's late reply was not enough for the hosts.

Granada were held to a 0-0 draw by visiting Villarreal in Sunday's final game.

The hosts piled on the pressure in the latter stages and forced Sergio Asenjo into a string of good saves, but could not find a way through.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Casillas accepts fans´ criticism

14 September 2014

650437header.jpg

Real Madrid goalkeeper Iker Casillas accepted being whistled at by fans during his team's 2-1 loss to Atletico Madrid on Saturday.

Carlo Ancelotti's men suffered their second loss in three La Liga matches as Arda Turan scored a 76th-minute winner at The Santiago Bernabeu.

Casillas was booed and whistled at, but said the only way to react was to work hard and perform well.

"The crowd have the final say and if they think they should whistle you have to accept it and respect their opinions," he told reporters.

"The way to respond is to train and play football."

Tiago headed Atletico into a 10th-minute lead before Cristiano Ronaldo won and converted a penalty to level.

But Turan struck the winner, curling Juanfran's cutback into the bottom corner after Raul Garcia's clever dummy.

Casillas felt his team deserved a draw, but praised Atletico for their ability to grind out a result.

"The second half was a blow, we were controlling Atletico well," he said.

"We were taken by surprise on a corner and Turan struck brilliantly. The result is a bit unfair and a draw would have been right.

"But Atletico know how to work their games and we have to congratulate them, just as on other occasions it's us that wins."

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Godin: Our mentality remains

14 September 2014

650769header.jpg

Diego Godin insists the mentality at Atletico Madrid remains the same, despite a change in some of the personnel at the club.

Diego Simeone led the club to a 10th La Liga title last season - and first since 1996 - as Godin's header earned Atletico the draw they needed in their final league match of 2013-14 against Barcelona at Camp Nou.

Simeone has forged a winning mentality at the Vicente Calderon, but has seen key players move on to pastures new in recent months, with Thibaut Courtois returning to parent club Chelsea, where he has been joined by talismanic striker Diego Costa.

David Villa also departed, but Atletico have made a fine start to 2014-15, with their 2-1 win over Real Madrid at the Santiago Bernabeu on Saturday coming just a couple of weeks after their Supercopa de Espana triumph over their fierce city rivals.

With the likes of Mario Mandzukic and Antoine Griezmann recruited to fill the void left by Costa and Villa, Godin believes the current squad is showing the same characteristics as seen last term.

"I wouldn't say that the squad is better or worse," he said.

"We have different players; we need to play a different way. The team does maintain the same mentality and that's certainly the key."

Godin also paid tribute to defensive partner Miranda, as the pair continue to forge a strong relationship at the heart of the Atletico backline.

"Each of us knows our role in the team at the back," he said. "Having said that, if we can manage to score a goal or two, even better."

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tuesday September 16 2014

zidane-ancelotti490ai_9.jpg

Zidane on Castilla & Bordeaux

By Football Espana staff

Zinedine Zidane has spoken about his role with Real Madrid’s B side Castilla and the option he had of taking over at Bordeaux.

The Frenchman was Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti’s assistant at the Bernabeu last season before being appointed Head Coach of the second team in June this year, although he has had a tough baptism with only one win from the opening four games.

“I was very happy with Carlo but after a year I wanted to do something more. I feel good and I’m happy with my young team, from which I can also learn, and it’s different from anything I could have done with the first team.

“I would have preferred not to start with defeats but we’ve finally won after three games and I’m delighted for the boys, as we haven’t had much luck and have deserved more,” he told RMC Sport, before revealing his reasons for turning down Bordeaux in the summer.

“I had the chance to go to Bordeaux but I didn’t do so because I wanted to coach Castilla and I jumped at the opportunity,” explained Zidane.

“I spoke to [Bordeaux President] Jean-Louis Triaud, who came to Madrid for discussions. He was very honest and told me there would not be many players coming in. I then made my decision and it’s one I don’t regret.

“I want to continue with Castilla this year and then we’ll see. I’m ambitious and I’d like to Coach a team in the top flight,” he concluded.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wednesday September 17 2014

Zidane ponders French job

By Football Espana staff

zidane-ancelotti490ai_10.jpg

Zinedine Zidane has dropped a broad hint that he could one day be interested in becoming boss of the French national team.

As a player, Zidane scored two goals in France’s victory over Brazil in the 1998 World Cup Final and was also a European Championship winner in 2000.

Asked in an interview published in French daily La Provence if he might be interested in his country’s top job, he did not rule anything out.

“I’m ambitious. Now I am a Coach [with Real Madrid’s B side Castilla] I get asked if I’d like to be the national team boss. Why not?” replied Zidane.

“I’m not permitted to say that I can be boss but, since I am on the other side, it is a possibility.”

The former Real Madrid player was assistant to Carlo Ancelotti when the club won the Champions League last season and was appointed boss of Castilla this summer.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wednesday September 17 2014

Monchi to resign at Sevilla

By Football Espana staff

sanchez-pizjuan-view.gif

Sevilla director of football Monchi is to quit his role at the club and will hand in his resignation on Thursday.

“It’s a decision I took some time ago. I had already communicated it [to the board] then, but as we had been through a turbulent summer I decided to stay.

“Now, I am going to make it effective at the first board meeting of the season,” Marca quotes him as saying.

Monchi [pictured, right] resigned as a director following the departure of former President Jose Maria del Nido last December, and even suggested leaving the club to focus on his training centres in London.

However, at the request of new President Jose Castro he remained at the Sanchez Pizjuan in a sporting capacity.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Atletico dealt Mandzukic blow

457245_heroa.jpg

Harry West
Sep 19, 2014 20:40:47

The striker suffered a broken nose in the 3-2 defeat to Olympiakos and, despite playing 90 minutes in that game, he will now be missing for up to 15 days

Atletico Madrid could be without Mario Mandzukic for up to two weeks as he recovers from having surgery on a broken nose.

The Croatia striker suffered the injury after being elbowed in the faced by Olympiakos' Pajtim Kasami in the opening stages of Tuesday's Champions League contest.

Mandzukic was able to play on for the entire match and found the net as Atletico were beaten 3-2 in their Group A opener, but the club announced on Wednesday that he has been forced to undergo surgery.

"He's hoping to return to training on Sunday or Monday," club doctor Pedro Luis Llopis explained in quotes reported by AS.

"He trained the other day, before undergoing surgery which suggests how keen he is to get back with the squad.

"Under normal circumstances, a player with an injury like this would hope to be back playing in 15 days but if he wears a protective mask, he should be able to play within 10 days.

"He will be issued a personalised mask, the smallest and most comfortable one possible, although it's always a little complicated to play whilst wearing one."

Mandzukic's estimated period of absence means he is scheduled to miss three La Liga games, with the Champions League match at home to Juventus on October 1 earmarked as a possible return date.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Barcelona will always be bigger than Bayern, says Cruyff

402711_heroa.jpg

Stefan Coerts
Sep 19, 2014 10:06:00

The iconic Dutchman says his former club are a bigger global draw than the Bavarians, while he also believes Pep Guardiola is a better coach than Jose Mourinho

Barcelona legend Johan Cruyff feels the Catalans will always be a bigger team than Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich.

Bayern and Barcelona have been two of the dominant forces of European football in recent years, with Bayern reaching three Champions League finals in the past five seasons, yet Cruyff believes the Camp Nou side will always be the bigger draw.

"Globally, Barcelona are a bigger club than Bayern Munich," the former Blaugrana player and coach was quoted as saying by Bild.

"In South America for example, everybody is watching the Primera Division. Barcelona are much bigger than Bayern over there and that will always be the case."

Former Bayern star Franz Beckenbauer has backed the Dutchman's opinion as he feels Barcelona have a greater history than the Bundesliga champions.

"I agree with Cruyff," the German admitted. "Barcelona are traditionally a leading team worldwide. Barcelona already had some legendary teams back in the 30s and 40s. Bayern only really came to the fore from 1965 on."

Cruyff then argued that current Bayern boss Pep Guardiola is a better coach than Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho.

"Pep's ability to turn a con into a pro is typical for him as a coach," the Ajax legend stated. "He is one of the best coaches in the world for me.

"I have no doubt about it that Pep is better than Mourinho. Pep's aim is to improve football and get his team to the next level.

"Unlike Mourinho, he played in front of 100,000 fans. The game in general is important to him. For Mourinho, all that matters is his team, his qualities and his mentality."

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Preview: Real out to end slump, pacesetters Barca visit Levante

17 September 2014

655039header.jpg

Real Madrid are aiming to avoid a third straight La Liga loss for the first time since 2009 when they face Deportivo La Coruna on Saturday.

Carlo Ancelotti's men began the season in routine fashion by beating top-flight newcomers Cordoba 2-0, only for things to turn sour in their two following fixtures.

Consecutive losses to Real Sociedad and bitter rivals Atletico Madrid has seen Ancelotti come under a little pressure, despite leading the club to their 10th UEFA Champions League title last term.

Defeat at newly promoted Deportivo on Saturday would be a third successive Liga reverse - a run Real have not experienced since losing their last five games of the 2008-09 season.

However, Ancelotti is confident that his side have turned a corner after hammering Basel 5-1 in the opening match of their Champions League defence on Tuesday.

"The team's reaction was good," the Italian commented.

"We played with intensity, we pressured them [Basel] high up the pitch and moved quickly up front. Obviously not all the problems have been solved, but I liked the team's reaction.

"I think the fans will be happy with the match. The team played well, we scored a lot of goals and tried to play as well as we could."

Real's arch-rivals Barcelona have enjoyed a far more impressive start to their season as they look to wrestle the championship back from Atletico.

Luis Enrique's side have won all four of their games so far - three in La Liga and one in the Champions League - without conceding, and they will expect to extend that sequence when they visit winless Levante on Sunday.

Champions Atletico, meanwhile, go into the weekend on the back of a disappointing 3-2 Champions League loss at Olympiakos.

Diego Simeone will again be in the stands due to his touchline ban when Celta Vigo travel to the Vicente Calderon, with the Argentinian hoping for a repeat of his side's performance at the Santiago Bernabeu last week.

Celta, who threw away a two-goal lead against Real Sociedad last time out, have lost each of their last five meetings with Atletico.

Sevilla, who have taken seven points from their three Liga outings so far, face an Andalucian derby at Albert Ferrer's Cordoba on Sunday, while resurgent Valencia will look to continue their unbeaten start at Getafe in Monday's only fixture.

Rayo Vallecano, Almeria and Espanyol are all still hunting for their first wins of the campaign but all have tough games this weekend.

Espanyol host Malaga, while Rayo and Almeria face tricky away trips to Villarreal and Real Sociedad respectively on Sunday.

Friday's fixture sees Liga new boys Eibar head south to Elche, and Athletic Bilbao - fresh from their Champions League stalemate with Shakhtar Donetsk - entertain Granada on Saturday.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Deportivo La Coruna 2 Real Madrid 8: Ronaldo hat-trick helps end visitors´ Liga slump

20 September 2014

658391header.jpg

A Cristiano Ronaldo hat-trick helped Real Madrid bounce back from successive La Liga losses to thrash Deportivo La Coruna 8-2 on Saturday.

Carlo Ancelotti's side were at their devastating attacking best at the Riazor, with a Gareth Bale double, James Rodriguez's first Liga goal and a late brace from Javier Hernandez supplementing Ronaldo's treble.

Defeats to Real Sociedad and Atletico Madrid had put Ancelotti under some pressure, but after a morale-boosting 5-1 UEFA Champions League win over Basel on Wednesday, Real never looked like falling to a third straight domestic reverse this weekend.

They went in three to the good at half-time courtesy of two goals from Ronaldo that sandwiched Rodriguez's superb strike.

Deportivo were given a way back into the contest right after the break as Haris Medunjanin confidently converted a penalty following handball by Sergio Ramos, but Bale restored the three-goal cushion with 24 minutes to go.

Bale doubled his tally in the 74th minute and Ronaldo completed his hat-trick soon after, before on-loan Manchester United striker Hernandez came off the bench to add further gloss to the scoreline after Toche had grabbed a consolation for the hosts.

Deportivo coach Victor Fernandez was wary about reading too much into Real's poor Liga form before Saturday's meeting, but it took the away side 29 minutes to go in front.

Alvaro Arbeloa fired an inviting cross in from the right and, although the delivery forced Ronaldo away from goal, the Portuguese sent a fine looping header over German Lux.

Real's second followed just seven minutes later as Rodriguez opened his Liga account in style, curling an unstoppable drive into the top-right corner from 20 yards, before Ronaldo effectively wrapped up the win with his second before half-time.

Benzema found himself felled by Lux about 30 yards from goal and, with Deportivo expecting a free kick to be awarded, Ronaldo coolly stroked into an empty net to give Real a commanding lead at the break.

Deportivo were given a lifeline right at the start of the second half as Ramos appeared to handle an Isaac Cuenca header in the area and Medunjanin nonchalantly dispatched the resulting penalty.

The hosts looked inspired during in a 15-minute spell immediately after half-time, yet they were unable to make the most of their improvement as Bale squeezed an effort past Lux following a clever pass by Marcelo.

Bale added the fifth from a similar position in the left side of the area after a good run from Isco, and Ronaldo grabbed the sixth and his hat-trick with 12 minutes to go, hammering home after Rodriguez pounced on sloppy defending by Sidnei.

Deportivo grabbed a late consolation as Toche nodded in at the near post, but Real were still not done.

Hernandez, who replaced Bale with 13 minutes to go, first scored a ferocious half-volley from the edge of the area before seeing another long-range effort deflect beyond Lux to make it the first time in Real’s illustrious history that they have scored eight away from home in a La Liga fixture.