• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

Ambulance

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mr Wenger you are really stubborn....already involved in so many competitions and still don't want to provide defensive cover in case of longer term injuries to critical players. You need a DM like Matic too. Flamini can't do it.

halo fairbegahs boh ho flamini jin ho ha

Groove Armada

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Rodgers: De Gea was the difference

14 December 2014

757699header.jpg

Brendan Rodgers felt Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea was the difference in Liverpool's 3-0 loss at Old Trafford on Sunday.

Liverpool made the short trip to their bitter rivals seeking a swift response to their UEFA Champions League exit courtesy of a 1-1 draw with Basel on Tuesday.

However, goals from Wayne Rooney and Juan Mata put the hosts into a 2-0 half-time lead before Robin van Persie added a third in the second half to help United to a sixth consecutive Premier League victory.

The visitors were left to rue a series of missed opportunities, though, with United goalkeeper De Gea winning the man-of-the-match award for a string of impressive saves - Raheem Sterling and Mario Balotelli both finding the Spain international in top form.

Liverpool manager Rodgers was happy with the attacking intent his side showed, but conceded a combination of De Gea's excellent form and poor defending contributed to their seventh top-flight defeat of the campaign.

"I thought we did enough to win the game," he told Sky Sports. "It epitomised our season really, we're not prolific enough in goalscoring.

"Credit to the players we created enough chances, I thought De Gea was man of the match, I've seen him have four or five games like that.

"We created enough chances to win the game, that was pleasing, but we made defensive mistakes and that cost us.

"The players tried to fight, continued to press but we couldn't take our chances."

The result was a reverse of Liverpool's 3-0 victory in the corresponding fixture last season and Rodgers bemoaned the sloppy errors that saw his players on the losing side this time around.

"It's always frustrating especially when you come here," he added.

"In the first half we were down and I thought we were the better side. But you can't concede goals like we did.

"You can't lose your runner for the first like we did and the others were poor as well. We wanted to come here and create because we haven't done that this season."

Optimus Prime

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Ferdinand has no regrets over QPR move

14 December 2014

757441header.jpg

Rio Ferdinand does not regret signing for QPR in the close-season, despite finding himself among the substitutes in recent matches.

The 36-year-old centre-back penned a one-year deal at Loftus Road ahead of the 2014-15 campaign, after a trophy-laded 12-year spell at Manchester United came to an end.

Ferdinand was initially a mainstay of the first-team and he has started seven Premier League games for the club.

However, a Football Association ban coupled with fitness concerns have seen the former England international drop out of the team, with his last appearance coming on October 5.

Despite a lack of playing time, Ferdinand remains content with his decision to reunite with manager Harry Redknapp - who he also played under during his time at West Ham.

"No footballer worth his salt likes sitting on the bench. So I would be lying if I said I'm perfectly okay about being left out of the QPR team recently," he told The Sun.

"When you have enjoyed all the success of being at a club as big as Manchester United for more than a decade, there is no hiding the fact that my current circumstances are a bit of a comedown.

"But do not make the mistake of thinking I have any regrets about my move to Loftus Road - because I don't.

"I knew what I was getting myself into and knew I'd be at a club where you would mostly spend your time looking up at teams rather than down at those below you.

"And I was well aware that I probably wouldn't play every game. I'm realistic that, at the age of 36, that was never going to happen."

Optimus Prime

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Bruce unaware of Ben Arfa whereabouts

14 December 2014

757399header.jpg

Hull City manager Steve Bruce has admitted he is unaware of Hatem Ben Arfa's whereabouts amid rumours the winger's loan will be cancelled.

Reports in Ben Arfa's native France last week suggested the Newcastle United attacker - on a season-long loan at the KC Stadium - had returned to Paris to work with a fitness coach.

Mounting rumours have claimed Bruce will look to send Ben Arfa back to Tyneside when the transfer window reopens after a disappointing spell in Yorkshire.

The attacker has failed to score in nine Hull appearances, and has not featured in a matchday squad since being hooked in the first half of last month's 3-0 defeat at Manchester United.

Saturday's 2-0 reverse at Premier League leaders Chelsea left Hull second from bottom after a ninth game without a win.

And Bruce's reported exasperation came to the surface after Saturday's defeat in west London, as he claimed Ben Arfa did not deserve to feature in his plans.

"I don't know if Hatem is in Paris, that's the truth," Bruce said of his loanee.

"As for not playing for Hull City again – at the moment he's not in the squad.

"The transfer window opens in January, so there's still conversations to be had with him.

"But at the moment he's not in the squad and he hasn't earned the right to be in the squad."

Having also fallen foul of Newcastle manager Alan Pardew, Ben Arfa is widely expected to leave St James' Park when his contract expires at the end of the season.

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pardew: Arsenal a bridge too far

14 December 2014

757445header.jpg

Alan Pardew admits Saturday's Premier League fixture at Arsenal was a "bridge too far" for his Newcastle United side.

Newcastle travelled to the Emirates Stadium on a run of just one defeat from 10 matches in all competitions and buoyed by the confidence of an excellent 2-1 victory over league leaders Chelsea the previous weekend.

However, Arsene Wenger's men proved too big of a challenge as both Olivier Giroud and Santi Cazorla scored twice in a comfortable 4-1 home victory.

Manager Pardew retains belief that his side can compete with any opponents, but conceded that Arsenal were too good on the day.

"I still felt even at 3-1 the game was in the balance, I just felt that the demons might return from Anderlecht," he said.

"But we couldn't get ourselves in that position and perhaps didn't deserve to.

"We didn't give up today even though we weren't playing at our best.

"Overall our team has really had great belief. They believe they can get something out of any game but today it was a bridge too far for us."

Pardew also confirmed that Jak Alnwick will continue to deputise in goal until January with first-choice Tim Krul and understudy Rob Elliot sidelined through injury.

"We go on with Jak and we've got a big week ahead of us," he added. "Hopefully he can handle it until such a time when we get can goalies in."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Gaal: My wife is happy so I am happy!

569611_heroa.jpg

By Peter O'Rourke at Old Trafford
Dec 14, 2014 17:42:00

Manchester United picked up a sixth consecutive win on Sunday, beating rivals Liverpool, but the Dutchman believes there is plenty of improvement to be made at Old Trafford

Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal believes his side still need to improve after their 3-0 victory over Liverpool - but is happy that the win has pleased his wife.

United sealed the victory with goals from Wayne Rooney, Juan Mata and Robin van Persie, while David de Gea thwarted Raheem Sterling and substitute Mario Balotelli.

But despite acknowledging the importance of beating bitter rivals Liverpool, Van Gaal insisted there is still plenty of work to be done.

"We have to improve but we are very pleased because we know how important it is to win against Liverpool," Van Gaal told reporters. "Our cook is happy, my wife is happy so I am happy."

United are third in the Premier League table, eight points behind leaders Chelsea, but Van Gaal refused to discuss title talk after the game.

"I think the most important match is the next match and we have to see match by match," he said.

"Of course we are winning six matches in a row [and it] is fantastic but we have to improve our play style. I say that every week."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'The best goalkeeping performance I've seen at Old Trafford' - Solskjaer hails De Gea

722292_heroa.jpg

By Stephen Darwin
Dec 14, 2014 16:36:00

The Spaniard kept Liverpool at bay, saving numerous attempts from the likes of Raheem Sterling and Mario Balotelli to help Manchester United make it six wins on the spin

Manchester United legend Ole Gunnar Solskjaer praised David de Gea's performance against Liverpool as the best he's ever seen from a home goalkeeper at Old Trafford.

The Spain international was in inspired form as he kept out the likes of Raheem Sterling and Mario Balotelli on numerous occasions, with United going on to win the Premier League clash 3-0 to move within five points of second-placed Manchester City.

Asked where he would rank De Gea's performance, Solskjaer told Sky Sports: "I've seen quite a few [outstanding performances] with the goalkeepers I've played with in [Peter] Schmeichel and [Edwin] Van der Sar but today was probably the best one I've seen at Old Trafford from a United goalkeeper.

"He saves them. There's six clear-cut chances that should have been goals. He stands up, David Seaman was the same. He makes it very difficult to score against him."

Jamie Carragher added: "We talk now about who the best goalkeeper in the world is. Maybe Manuel Neuer, I think we'd all agree on that with [Thibaut] Courtois very close. I bet if you asked those two goalkeepers, they've never probably put in a performance like that.

"That's one of the best goalkeeping performances I've seen. He was brilliant, he was always in control and never panicked. He was the difference."

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Eriksen late show stuns Swansea

Christian Eriksen delivered another late winner as Tottenham stunned Swansea with a 2-1 victory at the Liberty Stadium.

w638_h359_at__9606993.jpg

Sunday 14th December 2014

The Danish playmaker decided Tottenham's trip to Hull three weeks ago and he repeated the feat with an 89th-minute strike by driving low inside Gerhard Tremmel's near post.

Eriksen's seventh goal of the season was tough on a Swansea side who dominated for large periods but were unable to take several clear-cut scoring opportunities either side of Wilfried Bony cancelling out Harry Kane's early header.

Bony - the highest scorer of Barclays Premier League goals in the calendar year - struck his 20th league goal of 2014 three minutes into the second half but concerted home pressure could not generate another before Eriksen supplied a Spurs sting in the tail.

Tottenham's record was mixed immediately after European competition this season with three wins and four defeats, but this was actually the first time they had played away from White Hart Lane following Europa League action and it came on the back of a trip to Turkey.

But they knew victory would take them above Swansea into seventh place and they started with a bang when young Kane again showed his potency in front of goal.

Swansea were still trying to get their West Ham defeat and aerial trial by Andy Carroll out of their system when they conceded a soft fourth-minute goal from a set-piece.

Eriksen's corner was sent towards the six-yard box where Kane rose above Angel Rangel to head home his first goal in five games after nine in 10.

Kane would later drag a presentable opportunity wide from 20 yards but Spurs, having started the contest on the front foot, suddenly lost their composure halfway through the first period.

Bony had tested Hugo Lloris' shot-saving skills in the ninth minute after being picked out by Wayne Routledge and losing his marker Federico Fazio, and the Ivorian might have had a first-half hat-trick on another day.

Jefferson Montero played a delicious ball into his path after 21 minutes and Bony seemed set to score until former Swansea defender Ben Davies produced a last-ditch covering tackle of the highest quality.

Swansea had a penalty claim ignored by referee Robert Madley when Fazio appeared to take plenty of former Tottenham man Gylfi Sigurdsson and little of the ball, and Spurs were perhaps fortunate not to have their numbers reduced before the break.

Erik Lamela swung an arm at Montero after eyeing up the Ecuadorian and leaving him in a heap, while Jan Vertonghen's punishment for bringing down Routledge was a yellow card.

Vertonghen took the ball but the Belgian slid in recklessly and his studs were raised and another referee might have taken a far dimmer view of the challenge.

Two minutes before the break Swansea almost equalised again when Rangel crossed from the right and Bony's shot was deflected inches wide by Fazio.

Bony's luck finally turned for the better soon after the interval when Routledge broke behind Davies and onto Rangel's pass to cross into the middle.

Fazio blocked the first attempt but the ball fell kindly to Bony and he tucked away his eighth goal of the season with a minimum of fuss.

Moments later Bony saw his header from Montero's cross saved by Lloris and it was all Swansea as Spurs struggled to get out of their own half.

Spurs briefly broke forward for Ryan Mason to unleash a shot which deflected off Ashley Williams and fell the wrong side of the post with Tremmel stranded.

But Swansea were still asking most of the questions, with Fazio stretching to deny Bony and Sigurdsson failing to hit the target after good work from the speedy Montero.

Substitute Jonjo Shelvey almost made a goalscoring impact for Swansea, and Kane showed he could not be ignored when he flashed a header wide in almost a carbon-copy of the Spurs goal, before Eriksen stood up at the death once again.

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bony unhappy with Tottenham performance

726182_heroa.jpg

By Peter Hanson
Dec 15, 2014 20:09:00

The Ivorian missed a number of chances as Swansea City suffered a home defeat to Mauricio Pochettino's men and he says he must do better

Wilfried Bony admits he was unhappy with his performance in front of goal in Swansea City's 2-1 defeat to Tottenham on Sunday.

The Welsh side lost a league match at home for just the second time this season thanks to a dramatic late winner from Christian Eriksen at the Liberty Stadium.

The result was somewhat harsh on Swansea who had proved more than a match for Mauricio Pochettino's side, and they appeared on course for a point when Bony cancelled out Harry Kane's early opener.

However, Garry Monk's men were wasteful in front of goal with Bony himself the main culprit, hitting seven shots - only three of which were on target.

And the Ivory Coast international, who has eight goals in 16 appearances this term, concedes Swansea must be sharper.

"It was disappointing," he told Swansea's official website. "We created a lot of chances, especially in the first half, and we should have been more clinical. But we weren't and we paid the price.

"We tried to get the second one and kept pushing, but at the end we made a mistake and it cost us a goal. We didn't deserve to lose because we had a chance to win that game.

"I try to get in good positions to score - I had a few chances and didn't take them, so I wasn't happy.

"But we need points and wins to move up the table. We'll learn from the positives and try to be better in the next game."

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rodgers running out of answers and time as Liverpool slump on derby day

722432_heroa.jpg

Dec 15, 2014 08:30:00

COMMENT: The Reds were comprehensively beaten 3-0 by rivals Manchester United at Old Trafford as the Northern Irishman dropped Simon Mignolet and tinkered with his formation

By Peter O'Rourke at Old Trafford

Christmas is regarded as the season of goodwill but there is precious little currently on supply for Brendan Rodgers, with the Liverpool boss entrenched in his first major crisis at Anfield.

This was the start of a crucial period for the Northern Irishman but the Reds followed up their elimination from the Champions League with a 3-0 defeat in their bitter rivals' own backyard.

The next two games could go a long way to deciding Rodgers's fate at Anfield. Losses in the quarter-finals of the League Cup to Bournemouth in midweek and then to Arsenal on Sunday could spell the beginning of the end of the 41-year-old's time on Merseyside - just six months after he came so close to ending Liverpool's 24-year wait for a league title.

Against United, Rodgers made the bold decision to drop under-fire goalkeeper Simon Mignolet for Brad Jones and start without a recognised striker, with Raheem Sterling handed the responsibility to lead Liverpool's attack in a new look 3-4-3 formation.

It was one of those days when a manager would be totally judged on his team selection and, unfortunately for Rodgers, his failed to pay dividends.

The decision to drop Mignolet after a string of unconvincing displays did not come as a major surprise but to do it in such an important game was puzzling, especially given that Rodgers later admitted that he had been pondering such a move for several weeks.

Jones's performance was patchy at best, with the No.2 arguably beaten too easily for the first and third goals. He certainly is not worthy of becoming Liverpool's first choice, despite Rodgers admitting that he will be in the first team "indefinitely" following Mignolet's recent struggles.

"I felt I had to change it because we have to find solutions throughout the squad to be better," the manager said after the game.

"I said to Simon that it's for an indefinite period. Brad's a very capable keeper so he was always going to play in the Bournemouth game anyway."

Further up the field, Sterling was Liverpool's most dangerous player and, had it not been for the heroics of David de Gea, could have had a hat-trick. His missed chances undoubtedly contributed to Liverpool's defeat but it would be unfair to focus the blame on the England international; Rodgers is struggling for answers at Anfield and does not appear to know his best team.

The starting XI picked itself last season but Rodgers has chopped and changed in recent weeks in a bid to arrest Liverpool's slump and is yet to find a winning combination.

The Reds splashed out £110 million (€140m) in the summer following Luis Suarez's move to Barcelona but none of the new signings have lived up to their price tags. It is debatable if Liverpool's American owners will loosen the purse-strings again in January, though it is obvious that a striker is needed.

Had Suarez been in the team at Old Trafford, it could certainly be argued that the Reds could have beaten United given the chances they created and Rodgers's problem lies in the fact that the Uruguayan was not adequately replaced in the summer. Shock summer acquisition Mario Balotelli is yet to score in the Premier League, with fellow new arrival Rickie Lambert netting just once, while Daniel Sturridge has been on the treatment table since August.

The statistics are damning for Rodgers: Liverpool's defeat at Old Trafford was their seventh in 16 league matches and they languish in 10th in the table. Confidence appears to have drained out of a squad that exceeded expectations last season and fans appear to be losing patience with the man on the sidelines.

A trip to Old Trafford remains the biggest away day for Liverpool fans but the despondent way in which they left the stadium at the final whistle summed up the feelings currently engulfing the club. Rodgers was even forced to bat away suggestions of dressing-room unrest following the defeat, the knives having come out during a dismal run.

"In every dressing room there have always been been issues but it is not something I discuss outside of the dressing room," noted Rodgers. "The players are honest but we are not getting results.

"We have to recapture the team ethos. With the emphasis of the team, it is clear to me that we are searching to find solutions."

The minimum that was probably expected of Rodgers this season was another top-four finish to build on the success of last term but that already looks a tall order.

Rodgers insists that he has the backing of Liverpool's owners, John W Henry and Fenway Sports Group, but they have shown that they do not stand on ceremony if they feel that the club need to move forward.

It cannot be forgotten that the current owners sacked club legend Kenny Dalglish and quickly dispensed of the services of current England manager Roy Hodgson after both failed to meet their standards.

Of course, the Anfield powerbrokers will hope that Rodgers can inspire an upturn in fortunes quickly, otherwise the improvement of last season will be a distant memory before the bells of 'Big Ben' ring in the New Year.

Rodgers looked like a man with the world on his shoulders as he patrolled the touchline for the whole 90 minutes at Old Trafford but, unless things improve quickly, he could find himself sidelined permanently.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

No unrest at Liverpool, insists Rodgers

705442_heroa.jpg

By Harry West
Dec 16, 2014 13:00:00

The Reds manager is adamant that his side are united behind him and ready to work to turn around their poor start to the season ahead of facing Bournemouth in the League Cup

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is adamant that there is no dressing-room unrest at Anfield.

After pushing Manchester City close in the Premier League title race last season, the Reds have struggled to recapture that form in 2014-15. Out of the Champions League and 11th in the top-flight table, they have the chance to put a more positive spin on their campaign when they travel to Championship leaders Bournemouth in the League Cup quarter-final on Wednesday.

In his pre-match news conference, Rodgers was asked about any possible unrest among the squad, claims which he unequivocally denied.

"Our dressing room is very strong. Our captain is a strong leader. Anything said about any unrest is totally untrue," he insisted.

"We are relaxed but focused on our work and more driven to get results. We are looking to fight to improve.

"When you manage at Liverpool, there is always going to be pressure. The expectancy on us this year is how we played last season. This year the dynamic has totally changed.

"Internally we are very stable. We are disappointed, of course, with how things are going. There is still a long way to go in the league and the points difference can be made up."

Turning his attentions to Wednesday's encounter, Rodgers was full of praise for the work that his counterpart, Eddie Howe, has done on the south coast.

"Eddie Howe has done a brilliant job at Bournemouth," he said. "Top of the Championship, which is a tough league. They are very much a team. It will be a difficult game but it is a challenge the players are really up for.

"[Getting through] would give us confidence. Results haven't been totally what we would've wanted. This is the first cup competition you can see in the season so, for me, it was always a priority. The aim is to go on and win the competition."

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Arsenal have offered me a coaching role, reveals Gilberto Silva

729232_heroa.jpg

By George Ankers
Dec 16, 2014 09:48:00

Former Arsenal midfielder Gilberto Silva has revealed that the club have approached him about a possible coaching role.

The Brazilian, who was part of the famed 'Invincibles' team who went unbeaten in the Premier League in 2003-04, is keen on a future management role.

Wenger has previously hinted that ex-Gunners striker Thierry Henry, who retired on Tuesday, could be offered a similar role at the club and Gilberto is enthusiastic about being asked to help out his former side.

"I have had an invitation, yes," he told Globo Esporte. "Anything is possible. It makes me happy when you have these invitations, people see you with a different profile, you can contribute.

"It makes me happy and motivated and it makes me want to learn from others, seek knowledge and develop my own style."

The 38-year-old did, however, note that he wants to continue playing for the time being, though he is currently between clubs.

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Why Manchester United's record spend in 2014 is just the beginning of Van Gaal's outlay

321196_heroa.jpg

Dec 16, 2014 11:06:00

ANALYSIS: The Red Devils splashed out over €200 million on transfer fees in 2014 but Ed Woodward's marketing expertise means that the club can afford to do it all again next year

By Richard Jolly

It will go down as another historic year for Manchester United. In 1968, they became the first English club to win the European Cup. In 2011, they passed Liverpool’s long-standing record of 18 domestic league titles. And in 2014, they spent as they never had before.

After the unprecedented success came the largesse. United broke their club transfer record, not once, but twice. Indeed they broke the British transfer record when they paid €75 million for Angel Di Maria. They broke another record for any Premier League club too, forking out over €180 in the summer transfer window. Factor in the January addition of Juan Mata and 2014’s outlay comes to in excess of €230m.

A club who used to be defined by on-field achievements recorded mediocre results despite buying with all the enthusiasm of a lottery winner dizzied by a life-changing cheque.

Yet the scary element for everyone else is that United can afford it. They can pay over the odds. They can afford to pursue a ‘Galactico’ policy of signing a superstar every year. They can afford to spend another €180 million next summer.

729682_heroa.jpg

And they can do so without a Sheikh Mansour/Roman Abramovich-style benefactor. Chief executive Ed Woodward is no Peter Ridsdale, who gambled and lost everything on securing Champions League football. Woodward's ability to bring in additional revenue means that United have the means to pay it out. Financial Fair Play is not an issue.

United’s turnover in the 2013-14 financial year was another record, €535m. Even in the current campaign, with no Champions League cheque and fewer lucrative home games, that is only expected to shrink to around £390m. It will go back up again when their €940m kit deal with Adidas kicks in next season. The world’s most lucrative club have a licence to print money.

Spending it, however, is more problematic. How many of United’s seven signings in 2014 rank as successes so far? Perhaps Di Maria, even if has struggled to maintain his wonderful early form. Maybe Marcos Rojo, who has begun to look more reliable in an ever-changing defence. Possibly Daley Blind, a footballer who understands Louis van Gaal’s philosophy and who, unlike some of the other arrivals, was not overpriced. But on the evidence so far, none will be challenging Alexis Sanchez, Diego Costa or Cesc Fabregas for the title of the Premier League signing of the season.

Each of the others highlights flaws in the procedure. Mata was a panic buy, with both David Moyes and United wanting the validation of a supposed flagship buy after their embarrassing inability to secure marquee talents in 2013. Neither of his United managers has ever really accommodated the Spaniard.

Luke Shaw and Ander Herrera were club acquisitions, rather than Van Gaal’s recruits. Even after faith in Moyes was exhausted by dismal performances and dreadful results, admiration remained for his diligent research on players. Powerbrokers felt that he was a fine judge of a player, which they proved by spending over €60m on two of his targets.

Yet excessive prices again hinted at desperation. While Van Gaal gave the green light to their arrivals, neither was his choice. That has been particularly apparent in the case of Herrera, who was an unused substitute for four consecutive games until Di Maria was injured against Hull City. This scarcely suggests perfect planning and United are likely to revisit the centre of midfield in future transfer windows, probably for a Van Gaal favourite like Roma's Kevin Strootman.

Then there is the curious case of Radamel Falcao. The Colombian’s arrival seemed a piece of opportunism comparable with his brilliant finishing. Yet it is becoming increasingly apparent why others passed on him. A calf problem may not be related to the cruciate knee ligament injury the striker suffered, but he is not fully fit. United’s longing for another icon may have blurred them to his injury problems.

And as it was, Di Maria was the game-changer, even at an inflated fee when Real wanted to sell and with no serious alternative offers. The Argentine proved that, out of the Champions League and depressed by Moyes’s disastrous reign, United still possess an enviable pulling power.

gfx-gtl-2-di-maria-241_gr2jemozkao91t29afcgd881j.jpg

MAJOR INVESTMENT | Angel Di Maria is second on the 2014 Goal Transfer List

They still have to pay a Manchester United tax, as Van Gaal suggested last week when pointing out that Southampton were able to sign players for cheaper prices, but they ought to become more clinical in completing deals, which has been an issue since Sir Alex Ferguson left and is believed to have frustrated both of his successors.

Certainly Van Gaal is bringing greater clarity to the identification of targets. While United were accused of scattergun spending, Moyes was guilty of scattergun scouting, his rigorousness and indecisiveness leading him to check out everyone and anyone. It only served to fuel speculation when, for instance, Arturo Vidal was never a serious target for Van Gaal. Likewise, while United failed to land Thomas Vermaelen – which, as he is still to debut for Barcelona, now looks a welcome escape – the Dutchman was clear he wanted a left-footed centre-back. Hence Rojo’s arrival, rather than, say, any move for Mats Hummels. There is a greater sense of direction than there was.

But now United live in a world where they are linked with every player of a certain stature. They have the funds to sign them, the ambition to aim for anyone and the budget to bid big. This is the new United, less Old Trafford than Gold Trafford.

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Reading sack Adkins

15 December 2014

758269header.jpg

​Reading have sacked Nigel Adkins after their 6-1 humiliation at the hands of Birmingham City on Saturday left them 16th in the Championship.

The Berkshire club's form has dipped considerably since starting the season with only two defeats from the opening seven league matches and the thrashing at the weekend proved the final straw for Adkins' tenure.

With only three wins since mid-September, Reading have tumbled down the table and are now 10 points off the play-off places.

Adkins described the loss at St Andrew's as "very poor" and "very disappointing", but his determination to turn the club's fortunes around was not reciprocated by the Reading board, who have opted to terminate his contract with immediate effect.

"The board of Reading Football Club have this afternoon [Monday] relieved manager Nigel Adkins of his duties," a statement read.

"The club met with Nigel in person today and we would like to place on permanent record our thanks to him for his hard work and diligence since his appointment in March 2013.

"Following this weekend's 6-1 defeat at Birmingham, the board feel that a change in manager is necessary, with the club 16th in the Championship.

"As part of this process, assistant manager Andy Crosby and first team coach Dean Wilkins will also be leaving the club, and we would also like to thank them for their efforts."

Adkins was unable to save Reading from relegation from the Premier League following his appointment, but guided them to seventh last season, missing out on a play-off place on the final game.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I can't afford Sneijder - Koeman

650511_heroa.jpg

By Jay Jaffa
Dec 18, 2014 16:07:00

The 30-year-old has been linked with a January move to the Premier League, with Southampton emerging as one of the frontrunners, though the Dutch boss denies a deal is pending

Southampton manager Ronald Koeman has denied the club are closing in on a deal for Galatasaray playmaker Wesley Sneijder.

The 30-year-old has been heavily linked with a move to the Premier League in January and reports on Wednesday night suggested Saints were in pole position for his signature.

However, Koeman refuted the speculation on Thursday afternoon, claiming the south coast club cannot afford Sneijder.

He told reporters: "I'm interested, but I know we can't pay him. There's nothing in it."

Sneijder moved to Galatasaray in January 2013 following a three-and-a-half-year spell with Inter, where he helped Jose Mourinho's side lift the Champions League.

Manchester United have also been credited with a long-standing interest in the Netherlands international.

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Dawson set to miss up to five weeks

18 December 2014

759889header.jpg

Hull City have confirmed that Michael Dawson could miss up to five weeks with a grade two hamstring tear.

The centre-back was injured during Hull's 2-0 loss at Premier League leaders Chelsea last weekend, with manager Steve Bruce initially fearing that Dawson would miss six weeks of action.

Dawson, who earlier this campaign missed a month with an ankle problem, is now set to be absent for a hectic end to December as Hull play four matches in the space of 13 days.

Bruce is already without injured duo Robert Snodgrass and Mohamed Diame, while Tom Huddlestone is also suspended.

And, with the likes of Nikica Jelavic and Abel Hernandez having also been absent this term, Bruce is desperate for a change in luck as he looks to steer the club out of the bottom three.

"Unfortunately it's a grade two tear [for Dawson] and it could be anything from three, four, five weeks minimum I'd have thought," said Bruce ahead of Saturday's match with Swansea City at the KC Stadium.

"That's happened too much to us from the first day of the season with Robert Snodgrass to Dawson, to Nikica Jelavic to Mohamed Diame.

"It's been one thing after another in that department.

"We could do with a little more luck because we've had four or five with pretty ugly injuries and we could do without it."

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mario Balotelli gets one-match ban and £25,000 fine for Instagram post

• FA punishment rules Mario Balotelli out of Liverpool-Arsenal game
• Balotelli says he will not appeal against decision
• Mario Balotelli charged by FA over Instagram post

Mario-Balotelli-010.jpg

Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli did not attend Thursday's FA hearing. Photograph: Scott Heppell/AP

Thursday 18 December 2014 18.00 GMT

Mario Balotelli has been banned for one match and fined £25,000 after being found guilty of breaching Football Association rules by posting a controversial image of Super Mario on Instagram.

The Liverpool striker was charged by the FA over an image he reposted on the social media site that contained the words “jumps like a black man and grabs coins like a jew” underneath a picture of the Nintendo character.

His ban will apply with immediate effect, ruling the forward out of Brendan Rodgers’ plans for Sunday’s Premier League game against Arsenal.

“Following the recent events related to my ‘Super Mario’ post, the FA decision has made clear that it was wrong,” Balotelli wrote in a statement posted on Twitter on Thursday night that indicated he would not appeal.

“I am sorry that my team-mates and supporters of Liverpool FC have to be penalised for something I did and now come to regret. “It is my intention to comply with the decision of the FA and make sure it never happens again.”

Balotelli accepted the FA’s charge but claimed there were mitigating circumstances in a written submission to the regulatory commission that considered his case. The 24-year-old did not attend Thursday’s hearing but vehemently denied accusations of racism and antisemitism that followed the reposting on Instagram.

The Italy international quickly deleted the image and explained that his foster mother is Jewish before issuing an apology for any offence caused.

In his written submission to the regulatory commission, Balotelli detailed several examples of racist abuse that he has suffered during a high-profile career with Internazionale, Manchester City, Milan and Liverpool, including on social media, and claimed to be making an ironic anti-racism statement with the image.
Advertisement

However, he was found guilty of improper conduct and must attend an education course as part of the commission’s punishment. A Liverpool spokesperson said: “The club acknowledges the decision reached by the independent panel and due consideration will be given to the written judgment once we receive it from the FA. Any further action taken by ourselves in relation to this matter is between the club and player.”

Balotelli was charged with a breach of FA Rule E3 (1), with the governing body stating “that his posting was abusive and/or insulting and/or improper. It is further alleged that this is an ’Aggravated Breach’ as defined by FA Rule E3[2] as it included a reference to ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race and/or nationality and/or religion or belief.”

The Liverpool striker will miss Sunday’s game at Anfield but whether he would have been involved against Arsène Wenger’s side is questionable.

Balotelli is currently troubled by a groin problem sustained on international duty and has missed six of Liverpool’s last seven fixtures, including Wednesday’s Capital One Cup win at Bournemouth, as a result.

Rickie Lambert and Raheem Sterling have led Rodgers’ attack in the absence of the Italian, who has contributed little since his £16m summer arrival from Milan and has yet to score a Premier League goal for Liverpool.

Balotelli joins an extensive list of players who have contravened FA guidelines on social media since the former Liverpool player Ryan Babel became the first player to be censured in 2010-11 for posting a photograph of the referee Howard Webb mocked up in a Manchester United shirt on Twitter.

Rio Ferdinand was suspended for three matches and fined £25,000 for an aggravated breach of FA rules in October. The Queens Park Rangers defender, who was previously fined £45,000 for a tweet that characterised Ashley Cole as a “choc-ice” in 2012, referred to the mother of a Twitter user as “sket”, a Caribbean slang term for a promiscuous girl or woman.

Cole received the heaviest fine for a social media infringement in 2012, when he was ordered to pay £90,000 for describing the FA as a “bunch of twats” while the Tottenham Hotspur defender Benoît Assou-Ekotto was fined £50,000 and banned for three games for a message in support of Nicolas Anelka’s controversial “quenelle” gesture.

Drogba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bent reports theft of two luxury cars

Darren-Bent-140116-Talks-G-300.jpg

Darren Bent © Gallo Images

19 December 2014, 14:37

Aston Villa's former England striker Darren Bent has reported the theft of two top of the range cars from his home near Birmingham, police disclosed on Friday.

A Range Rover and an Audi RS6 were taken and police are appealing for information.

"We were called at around 3.15 am on Saturday, December 13 to a report of a burglary at a property on Newick Road, Little Aston," a police statement read.

"Unknown offenders gained entry to the property by snapping the locks on a pvc window. Following an orderly search they found the keys to a Range Rover and an Audi RS6 parked on the drive and drove away in them."

The 30-year-old striker is currently on loan at Championship side Brighton and his contract