• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Reasons Please -SMRT only allow topup of card in multiples of $10

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Wanted to top up my MRT card 5 minutes ago. Had only $7.50 with me so told the station worker I want to top up $5 he don't allow me said must be in multiples of $10. I was disappointed. Asked him why he said it's the rule. I realized it's no point to argue with him as he is just following rules.

Then I asked him I really need to top up only $5 or I can show hand how about $7.50 he said not allowed. Then I asked him what happens if I have coins all coins and give him $10 of coins he said like that can. So this is simply not about convenience to collect paper money they just want to collect more money.

How do sinkies live with such crap rules? Where is the compassion for an uncle who only have $7.50 on him? So, what is SMRT's real reason to collect only multiples of $10 from their lan lan customers?

I did not top up because I can't, I've got like $1.82 in my card hopefully when I get down it'll not be more if not I big lan lan. Actually my card is worth another $5 I think but then that's another story altogether. Knnbccb PAP and their heartless cronies.

Last edited:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
mai kao peh lah,if every tom dick and harry want to top up 2.50 or 3.60 or whatever change they can dig out of their pocket then we will be taking forever....knn people is top up $80 in one go,u cannot even top up $10?

no money go beg for change,otherwise take a bus home.

god_zeus

Alfrescian
Loyal
if u lost the card before u use finish
that is your business
they wont refund u the amount u lost
best to top up the minimum

mai kao peh lah,if every tom dick and harry want to top up 2.50 or 3.60 or whatever change they can dig out of their pocket then we will be taking forever....knn people is top up $80 in one go,u cannot even top up $10?

god_zeus

Alfrescian
Loyal
anything belwo S$10 is not money mah
the lady perrot former CEO SAW was a big spender (nig mercedes, big house)
so anything below S$10 is not money mah

Wanted to top up my MRT card 5 minutes ago. Had only $7.50 with me so told the station worker I want to top up $5 he don't allow me said must be in multiples of $10. I was disappointed. Asked him why he said it's the rule. I realized it's no point to argue with him as he is just following rules.

Then I asked him I really need to top up only $5 or I can show hand how about $7.50 he said not allowed. Then I asked him what happens if I have coins all coins and give him $10 of coins he said like that can. So this is simply not about convenience to collect paper money they just want to collect more money.

How do sinkies live with such crap rules? Where is the compassion for an uncle who only have $7.50 on him? So, what is SMRT's real reason to collect only multiples of $10 from their lan lan customers?

I did not top up because I can't, I've got like $1.82 in my card hopefully when I get down it'll not be more if not I big lan lan. Actually my card is worth another $5 I think but then that's another story altogether. Knnbccb PAP and their heartless cronies.

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
its the same thing when u top up with posb atm as well

i dont see why one cannot key in the amount one wants to top -up

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Looked like I had touched a sensitive spot on you. Thank yoh for your suggestion. I just asking only. I never know topping up anything other than multiples of $10 will take forever.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
you top up online lagi worse. I think there's 10 and 25 or no 10 maybe 25 then 50 then 100. Something like that.

Psycho

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looked like I had touched a sensitive spot on you. Thank yoh for your suggestion. I just asking only. I never know topping up anything other than multiples of $10 will take forever.

Why not you top 5 in your card and another 5 in my card, how about that? It's minimum 10 after all.

Leepotism

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They will ask buy a one trip ticket if you don't have $10 to top up. Hence SMRT can make more money from you. If you have less than $500 in your bank account, they will deduct $2 from your account every month. If your are poor, they will make you poorer.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hongkong MTR top up in multiple of 50 only. So sama sama lah.

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal

soon you will have to write a report about
1)why atm can only dispense min $100
2)why there is gst on top of water conservation tax
3)why you have to pay S/C charge when you stay at ground floor and you do not use the lift

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
It nothing new and not just confined to Singapore. It is to reduce the handling time and actually make it convenient for reasonable people. The same logic applies to numerous other financial and even non-financial activities. Though a minority, some people who will queue for $2 every day to top-up, to make ATM withdrawal, ask to break-up a carton to buy one piece, want to buy only a few pieces of frecn fires. etc.

There are side effects such as not enough money to do minimum top-up, now enough money to buy small set of french fries but it does out-weigh the positives.

As I said, it is not a practice in Singapore. 3rd world countries who are not in it will eventually follow.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
soon you will have to write a report about
1)why atm can only dispense min $100
2)why there is gst on top of water conservation tax
3)why you have to pay S/C charge when you stay at ground floor and you do not use the lift

$100 will be in the near future....you need to pay for cab fares, forgot to bring $$$ along & you had just visit an ATM that 'dishes' out only $50 not lesser...cab driver, very unhappy with that $50..especially you take short routes..soon machine will only 'cough' out $100.

There is GST on top of all the waterborne fees...etc..go check your bill...why you stay 1st floor? do those people have to pay for the lift upgrading staying on the 1st floor?? it is SINgapore..everything have to PAy & Pay....:p

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Aiyoh, just get a credit card which can also be used as an EZ Link card. Automatic top up straight from your bank account. Earn some points which you can redeem stuff. No fuss, no muss. It's just a waste of time to queue up to top up your EZ Link card. :rolleyes: