• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Meet Singapore's Rocky - MMA Pro Fighter Radeem Rahman

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
From delivering pizzas to battling injuries, Singapore’s 1st MMA fighter chips away in journey to the top
<cite class="byline vcard" style="font-style: normal; color: rgb(119, 119, 119); font-size: 11px; display: block; font-family: arial; vertical-align: middle;">By Cheryl Tay | Fit To Post Sports – <abbr title="2014-04-14T02:41:55Z" style="border: 0px;">23 hours ago

Passionate about cars and motorsports, Cheryl Tay is a familiar face in prominent local, regional as well as international automotive titles. She is equally enthusiastic about health and fitness and is always on the lookout for the latest workout trends. More of her at CherylTay.sg and on Facebook,Twitter or
Instagram (cheryltay11).
</abbr>
</cite>
25f30a20-c37d-11e3-8bcb-0dae1e27437b_By-Daniel-Koh.jpg

Photo by Daniel Koh

Cook, cafe server, pizza delivery boy, security guard and mixed martial arts (MMA) athlete. What do these occupations have in common?

Radeem Rahman
has worked them all – some even simultaneously – although these days, he’s fully focused on being Singapore’s first MMA professional, preparing for his second appearance in Asia’s largest promotion One Fighting Championship.

The 26-year-old will have you know, however, that his is a status borne of humble beginnings.

Fresh out of National Service,
Radeem, already a keen fight-sport fan from watching DVDs and learning taekwondo and boxing in his younger days, set his sights on training at the hugely popularEvolve MMA gym. A one-year membership would set him back by over S$3,000 and the ITE graduate was unwilling to ask his parents for help, what with his three younger siblings still schooling and his father’s modest salary as a warehouse assistant.

So he took up several odd jobs over a four-month spell to raise the money, working for restaurants during the day and taking 12-hour night shifts as a factory watchman. “I was getting very little sleep as the night shift ended at 9am and I had to report for work at 11am next. I only had one day off a week, but I was determined to save up,”
Radeem told Yahoo Singapore on Wednesday at a media session held at Evolve.

And save up he did, to walk through
Evolve’s doors and eventually earn a spot on the Evolve Fight Team of full-time fighters.
f89f88e0-c37d-11e3-8bcb-0dae1e27437b_312841_228286603897854_421223793_n.jpg

Radeem (left) in his first MMA fight (Photo by One FC)

The opportunity arose in 2010 when Radeem, then employed as a technical assistant in a primary school, was coming to the end of his one-year membership. He quietly fretted over his next course of action, but Chatri Sityodtong, Evolve founder, soon approached him with an offer he couldn’t refuse.

“I was there worrying and thinking about how to pay for the membership renewal when Chatri asked if I was keen on joining the Fight Team,” said Radeem. “It’s really an honour, man. They are all world champs and I get to go in there and train with the best. So I said ‘yes, I want to further my career definitely!’”

According to Chatri, it was his determination that made Radeem stand out from the rest. “Radeem is a P.H.D. in life – poor, hungry, and determined. I believe in PHDs. I love people who’ve overcome tremendous adversity. It’s one thing to have fancy paper qualification; it’s another to come from nothing,” the Thai entrepreneur explained. “Radeem did not come from a privileged background. He came from a tough background and he had to fight for everything in his life.”

“I saw a young kid who could not afford Evolve, but had the unbreakable determination to fight for his dreams. So Evolve hired him to work in operations, allowing him to train for free and chase his dream of being a professional fighter.”

And his dream took flight in the best way possible as he became the first Singaporean to enter the One FC cage back in September 2011. Radeem stepped out victorious on his debut, in front of a thrilled home crowd, and hopes were high for the local boy as he geared up for his next fight in October 2012.

To hell and back

Then, disaster struck. A dislocated little finger forced him out of the contest, and just two months later, he tore his leg ligaments in a training injury. After undergoing surgery in March last year, a shattered Radeem couldn’t do anything for the next three months beyond trying to lift the injured leg.

He started on intensive rehabilitation and physiotherapy in June, working hard to regain his strength, but it proved to be a frustrating and demoralising period of time.

“I trained so hard, and just wanted to put everything in the cage and show how much I’ve progressed, then I got injured,” said Radeem. “I did feel a little like giving up. But I saw my teammates training and then I saw them fighting in the cage and I told myself I should be there, so I kept pushing.”

b448b900-c37d-11e3-8bcb-0dae1e27437b_Radeem-Rahman-3-.JPG

Photo by Cheryl Tay

His recovery ended up being faster than expected, and by October, the fighter returned to his usual regime of training six days a week. “Looking back to the time I was in rehab, and could only do light training, it’s almost unbelievable that I made it,” he said.

Radeem is now set to make his comeback at One FC’s next event in Singaporeon 30 May, in a bantamweight battle against Malaysia’s Raymond Tan.

“He's going to shock the world,” Chatri promised. “Radeem today is a totally different fighter than he was in 2011.”

And after that? Whatever it takes to move Radeem Rahman closer to his big goal – the same one he dreamt of while washing dishes and keeping guard in the dead of the night: to be a world champion.

7571d6d0-c37d-11e3-8bcb-0dae1e27437b_rahman.jpg

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This was Radeem's debut match... Watch how he totally owned the Ah Neh :biggrin:

<iframe width="630" height="354" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/I6T8uXOA3TY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore MMA fighters don’t give up: One FC pioneer Radeem Rahman

<cite class="byline vcard" style="font-style: normal; color: rgb(119, 119, 119); font-size: 11px; display: block; font-family: arial; vertical-align: middle;">By Justin Ong | Fit To Post Sports – <abbr title="2014-05-07T10:08:55Z" style="border: 0px;">15 hours ago

</abbr>
<abbr title="2014-05-07T10:08:55Z" style="border: 0px;">
329d4100-d5cf-11e3-a9f7-93658841ffe7_123487470.jpg

Radeem celebrates knocking out Susovan Ghosh in his ONE FC debut at Singapore Indoor Stadium in 2011. (Photo by …

It takes a special kind of Singaporean to take up mixed martial arts (MMA) as a full-time job.

So says Radeem Rahman, a local MMA pioneer and the first Singaporean signed to Asia’s largest promotion, One Fighting Championship (One FC).

“Most of the Singaporeans who compete in MMA have one thing in common: they are determined, and they are hard-working,” the 26-year-old asserted.

Radeem was speaking to Yahoo Singapore at Evolve MMA gym, where he has worked and trained since 2010, ahead of his sophomore One FC bout on 30 May at the Indoor Stadium.

He is set to battle Malaysian Raymond Tan after a near-three-year layoff due to injury – a tough, trying wait for the married man, who felt he still had much to prove after his winning debut in September 2011.

9701be60-d5ce-11e3-b4d1-6dec383dda09_311066_228287143897800_693583059_n.jpg

The referee stops the fight with Radeem the clear winner in his inaugural One FC bout (One FC Photo)

But today, he has no regrets being part of only a handful of Singaporeans – around 10 – dedicated to professional MMA.

“It’s my dream, my passion,” said the soft-spoken Radeem. “When I step into the cage, I just want to do what I’ve been training for, and I want to keep improving myself as a mixed martial artist.”

“I know I’m making the right decision and I want to see how far I can go,” he added.

Star power

During his time away from the cage, Radeem was delighted to bear witness to the rapid growth of MMA in Singapore, with at least three promotions holding shows here and the number of gyms increasing tenfold in just a matter of years.

“It’s still new but it’s so popular that at Evolve there are even housewives training,” he said. “That’s a good sign. You can see society no longer thinks MMA is just violence, although I think we still can have more Singaporeans viewing it as a sport.”

Along with booming progress also came the rise of new Singaporean stars, all of whom Radeem had unreserved praise for.

One of them is female upstart Sherilyn Lim, who made headlines with a victorious One FC debut butcontroversially missed weight for her rematch in March this year.

“I don’t know what the actual reason is but I feel sad for her,” said Radeem. “I believe she trains really hard, and I trust she’ll bounce back and compete. Everyone deserves a second chance.”

He also expressed support for Royston Wee, Singapore’s first representative in global giant Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC).

“He carried the Singapore flag and he got the victory – that’s great for Singapore. People now know there are more Singapore fighters who compete actively,” said Radeem.

The former odd-job worker laughed it off when asked if he wished it was him instead competing under the bright lights of the UFC.

“Every fighter has a different path. Before even talking about the UFC, I want to establish myself and make history in Asia first,” he explained. “I want to focus more on One FC and get that belt first.”

efdb9010-d5ce-11e3-b4d1-6dec383dda09_Evolve-Fight-Team-1-.jpg

Photo by Daniel Koh

Evolve heart

To achieve his goals, Radeem has placed his faith in the Evolve system, which he pointed out as highly successful in producing MMA prospects like his junior in the competitive fight team, Benedict Ang.

“He’s really hardworking. There’s so much to learn and he takes it step by step, doesn’t give up,” said Radeem. “It’s really interesting to see a young boy keen on making a career out of MMA.”

He was once that young boy too: eager to turn professional, but hailing from a modest background and struggling to make ends meet – until Evolve took him in.

“I’ve been trained and brought up at Evolve,” he said. “I really appreciate how they’ve helped me and that’s why I want to represent them at the highest level.”

He currently works in operations for Evolve, a job he described as “stable, with everything well taken care of” and earns enough to give his parents a monthly allowance and help his three younger siblings when needed.

“Evolve changed not only my life, but my family’s life too,” said a grateful Radeem.

079775c0-d5cf-11e3-b4d1-6dec383dda09_CTT_0140.JPG

Radeem at an open media workout session at Evolve. (Photo by Cheryl Tay)
</abbr></cite>