• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ex Police Commissioner - "Tear Gas and Baton charges are Old Tactics"

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Is there a bigger SPF apologist and asshole than former Police Commissioner Khoo Boon Hui. This is the most garbage I have seen come out of one mouth in a long time. This fucktard has the temerity to say that Baton Charges and Tear Gas are old tactics and suggests that is why they were not employed during the Little India riot. He said that strong arm tactic like tear gas and baton charges were deemed not acceptable today. Are you sure or not? Deemed by whom? He also goes on to say that riots should be quelled with minimum casualties to the rioters!! What a fucking clown. If you riot, u should expect to get hurt, what is this minimal casualty crap. He goes on to give many cock excuses for the fuck ups that happened that night. Truly, he is a por lumpar cock sucker.

SINGAPORE - The way riots are handled in Singapore has evolved from a force-first approach using tear gas and baton charges decades ago to one that is more calibrated.

Still, "there is no textbook solution", according to former police commissioner Khoo Boon Hui, who submitted a six-page report to the Committee of Inquiry (COI) looking into the Little India riot.

The 59-year-old Senior Deputy Secretary of the Home Affairs Ministry said last Friday: "You have to use your head, use your judgment. Doctrines and manuals cannot be exhaustive and should not preclude the innovative use of strategies and tactics."

Tracing the evolution of riot doctrine, he explained how riot squads - the predecessor of the Special Operations Command (SOC) - were first formed in 1952, after the Maria Hertogh riots.

In the early years, aggressive tactics were needed because of extreme violence seen in incidents like the 1960s communal riots.

But strong-arm tactics such as the use of tear gas and baton charges would no longer be deemed acceptable today, said Mr Khoo, who was police chief from 1997 to 2010.

Passive resistance tactics have been adopted by the SOC, following studies of measures taken up overseas, said Mr Khoo, who also served as Interpol president from 2008 to 2012.

Today, police commanders approach public order incidents with three objectives in mind.

First, riots should be quelled "with minimum casualties, especially to innocent bystanders, responders and, of course, the rioters themselves". While minimising any spillover or escalation of the riot, the police must be seen to take "resolute but appropriate" action. Lastly, the police have to instil public confidence by decisively resolving the incident.

"At the end of the day, you can't just stand by and then in the end let the rioters escape. You have to bring people to justice," said Mr Khoo.

He prefaced his testimony last Friday by saying he would not judge police actions taken on Dec 8 because he was then in Qatar on official duties, and had not been involved in the active management of the incident since.

During the inquiry, committee members have questioned how the police responded at the scene.

They pointed out that the decision to hold the ground instead of facing rioters head on could have emboldened troublemakers, who ended up damaging 23 emergency vehicles. The incident also left 49 Home team officers injured

How much force to use is a controversial issue, said Mr Khoo.

"But my sense is that it must be commensurate with the level of public order threat, (be) fair and even-handed."

Using insufficient force could embolden the crowd, but excessive force can inflame the situation, he said, citing foreign examples to prove his point. In the London riots of 2009, a newspaper vendor trying to make his way home died after he was pushed over and hit by the police. "It gave the British police a very, very bad image," he said. "In the heat of things they did something (that) brought the whole police force into disrepute."

Also critical are the capabilities and size of the force deployed. "If you have the numbers, do you have people who are welltrained?" said Mr Khoo. "If you don't have numbers, you risk escalating the level of violence because you resort to lethal force when it may not be necessary because you are threatened."

A riot in Hong Kong in 2005 involved the use of 2,000 troops to deal with a sit-in involving more than 900 people. All the protesters were arrested, but they were later let off because officers could not distinguish the role of each suspect. "In the end all the evidence got mixed up and people just got away," said Mr Khoo.

The use of warning shots, too, could backfire. COI chairman and former Supreme Court judge G. Pannir Selvam noted: "Firing a warning shot in a big congregation is a real problem."

Mr Khoo agreed: "People in front may know what is happening, but people behind don't. Some may be running back, some may be surging forward."

Mr Selvam added: "The other psychology is (that) if you are going to kill me and I'm going to die, I might as well die fighting you."

Mr Khoo in his report, which was praised by the committee, concluded: "It would be a Pyrrhic victory should the police use excessive force to quell a riot, only for heightened tensions and unrest to erupt in other parts of Singapore."

The inquiry resumes on Tuesday, with Police Commissioner Ng Joo Hee expected to testify

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Must show restrain mah!.....if these were SINgaporean's rioting, Baton, tear gas & charges are still relevant today...."Mr Selvam added: "The other psychology is (that) if you are going to kill me and I'm going to die, I might as well die fighting you." for they know SINgaporean's have no balls to fight back....!!

supermarket

Alfrescian
Loyal
The 59-year-old Senior Deputy Secretary of the Home Affairs Ministry said last Friday: "You have to use your head, use your judgment. Doctrines and manuals cannot be exhaustive and should not preclude the innovative use of strategies and tactics."

[/COLOR]

Innovative tactics - like running away?

Administrator

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mr Selvam do not understand Indian, it is in their genes that when push comes to shove, almost all of them will run and leave their friends behind.

The only way to make people suicidal enough is to promise a good after-life.

The use of warning shots, too, could backfire. COI chairman and former Supreme Court judge G. Pannir Selvam noted: "Firing a warning shot in a big congregation is a real problem."

Mr Khoo agreed: "People in front may know what is happening, but people behind don't. Some may be running back, some may be surging forward."

Mr Selvam added: "The other psychology is (that) if you are going to kill me and I'm going to die, I might as well die fighting you."

Administrator

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wonder if they will let public see their SOP in dealing with riots. People burning public property still can sit and wait.

899mobmain.jpg

csi88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whether old or new tactics,SPF simply cant handle any situations down the road.Officer's on the ground even dare not make decision and escalate the situation from bad to badder. this riot in little India is a total embrassment to the image of Singapore.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Whether old or new tactics,SPF simply cant handle any situations down the road.Officer's on the ground even dare not make decision and escalate the situation from bad to badder. this riot in little India is a total embrassment to the image of Singapore.

If this was opposition party members or SINgaporeans...you can bet, they know what to do!!:p

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tee tua bah is also ex commissioner. Unlike this paper sissy his time was much more chaotic. A shame to the SPF certainly. I wonder who put him up to talk cock?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tee tua bah is also ex commissioner. Unlike this paper sissy his time was much more chaotic. A shame to the SPF certainly. I wonder who put him up to talk cock?

I respect the older ones...they are worth the "salt" they are paid for, even though the pay, may not be that fantastic. Back in sixties or seventies..you shout "MATA lai"...the bad hats will run for cover..nowadays...you shout that, nobody will move...& after the recent incident...people will be rolling with laughter....for they will show restrain...

Last edited:

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
one interesting thing come to mind. What about NSF training?

If enemy charge forward, all NSFs just aim in front and start firing, killing their own NSF mates as well, those standing in front of them.

Must show restrain mah!.....if these were SINgaporean's rioting, Baton, tear gas & charges are still relevant today...."Mr Selvam added: "The other psychology is (that) if you are going to kill me and I'm going to die, I might as well die fighting you." for they know SINgaporean's have no balls to fight back....!!

Administrator

Alfrescian
Loyal
A product of MINDEF.

Khoo Boon Hui was born in 1954 in Singapore and is married with 2 children

He began his career in the Singapore Police Force (SPF) in 1977, after a short stint in the Singapore Armed Forces. During his career with the Police, he has held various appointments, including stints in Investigations, Uniformed Patrols and Traffic Police. He was Director Strategic Planning in 1987, Police Chief of Staff in 1990, Director Criminal Investigation Department in 1991 and Deputy Commissioner of Police in 1995. In July 1997, he was appointed Commissioner of the Singapore Police Force, a post he held till January 2010. In October 2008, he was elected President of INTERPOL for a 4-year term until November 2012.

On 1 February 2010, Mr Khoo assumed his new appointment as the Senior Deputy Secretary of the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), overseeing the development of regional and international collaboration, including technology and capacity development initiatives across Singapore's law enforcement agencies.

Mr Khoo obtained his Bachelor of Arts (Engineering Science & Economics) from Oxford University in 1976 and his Master in Public Administration from the Kennedy School of Government, Harvard in 1982. He attended the Advanced Management Program at Wharton in 2002.

Mr Khoo led the SPF to achieve low crime rates in Singapore, making it one of the safest cities in the world. The SPF's successes have been attributed to its key thrusts of Developing Community Partnership, Enhancing Operational Capability and Strengthening Internal Resilience. During Mr Khoo's tenure, community policing continued to be a key policing strategy in tackling crime and dealing with the community's safety and security concerns. Coastal and maritime security, intelligence, technocrime investigations, counter-terrorist measures and other operational capabilities have also been significantly enhanced.

He adopted progressive organisation management and development tools and practices in organisational learning, benchmarking organisational excellence, service excellence, corporate communications and HR programs. In 2002, the SPF was one of two organisations awarded the Singapore Quality Award (SQA). It went on to receive the Singapore Innovation Class in 2003 and the Singapore Service Class in 2004. The SPF was also awarded the Distinguished Public Service Award by Head of the Civil Service in 2004 and the Top Public Service Award in 2006, the pinnacle recognition of organisational excellence. In 2007, the SPF became the first public service organisation to be awarded the SQA (with Special Commendation).

Mr Khoo is the Deputy Chairman of the Singapore Quality Award Governing Council in Singapore; Co-Chair, Home Team Academy Board of Governors, a founder member of the Singapore Symphony Orchestra Council, and a member of the YMCA Singapore Advisory Council. He is also on the Board of Singapore Technologies Kinetics Ltd, Singapore Technologies Engineering Ltd (a publicly listed company), Singapore Health Services Pte Ltd, Sengkang Hospital Project Committee (SingHealth) and Temasek Foundation; Chairman of the Risk Review Committee (Singapore Technologies Engineering Ltd) and the Budget and Investment Committee (SingHealth); Senior Fellow, Civil Service College and Director, Institute of Leadership and Organisation Development, Civil Service college and Deputy Chairman of the Singapore Island Country Club.

Mr Khoo is on the International Advisory Boards of the Pearls in Policing Conference organised by The Netherlands Police, the International Centre for Sports Security based in Qatar, the Cambridge University Police Executive Programme, Oxford University Journal of Policing and the Independent Commission on the Future of Policing in UK. He is the Chairman of the INTERPOL Trafficking in Illicit Goods Steering Committee and Technology and Crime - International Forum on Technologies for a Safer World Association in France.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
this is the problem with LKY, never prepared his son LHL to take over a real riot before he retire.

Is there a bigger SPF apologist and asshole than former Police Commissioner Khoo Boon Hui. This is the most garbage I have seen come out of one mouth in a long time. This fucktard has the temerity to say that Baton Charges and Tear Gas are old tactics and suggests that is why they were not employed during the Little India riot. He said that strong arm tactic like tear gas and baton charges were deemed not acceptable today. Are you sure or not? Deemed by whom? He also goes on to say that riots should be quelled with minimum casualties to the rioters!! What a fucking clown. If you riot, u should expect to get hurt, what is this minimal casualty crap. He goes on to give many cock excuses for the fuck ups that happened that night. Truly, he is a por lumpar cock sucker.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There are a lot of old tactics like the death penalty which they should have abolished long ago. Ditto for locking people up without trial.

bullfrog

Alfrescian
Loyal
The day he started community policing is the day the SPF started going downhill. KNN, passing the buck to residents, being over-friendly until they climb over their heads and piss, what with all this kids' glove handling of hooligans, rioting..

In my days when policemen wore shorts, they tangkap pai kias and put them into lockups. Umpais whacked samsings and detained them uner section 55 (which is non existent today). Those days, mata mata and umpais walked the streets with respect, nowadays, the policemen looked like patsies, sissies, and NPCCs. You also seldom encounter umpais liao.