• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Need advice regarding blood pressure

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
•In adults with hypertension, does initiating antihypertensive pharmacologic therapy at specific BP thresholds improve health outcomes?

•In adults with hypertension, does treatment with antihypertensive pharmacologic therapy to a specified BP goal lead to improvements in health outcomes?

•In adults with hypertension, do various antihypertensive drugs or drug classes differ in comparative benefits and harms on specific health outcomes?

"So, it's really, 'At what BP do you start medication?' and then, 'At what BP do you maintain medication?'" James said in an interview with AAFP News Now. "And then the third question was, 'What are the medications (or antihypertensive drugs) that doctors should use to get to goal?'

"We considered these the three most important questions that any doctor in American needs to know the answer to."

From the outset, the panel committed to following the pathway to guideline development outlined in the Institute of Medicine report Clinical Guidelines We Can Trust. This approach entailed using rigorous evidence-based methods to develop evidence statements and recommendations for BP treatment based on a systematic review of the literature, while focusing on meeting guideline user needs, especially the needs of primary care clinicians.

Overview of Guideline's Recommendations

The evidence review and summarization was performed by an external methodology team panel and focused on studies that examined adults 18 or older with hypertension, including studies that involved numerous prespecified subgroups, such as patients with diabetes, coronary artery disease, previous stroke and chronic kidney disease (CKD). Studies that focused on older adults also were included, as were those that examined both men and women, various racial and ethnic groups, and smokers.

The guideline panel chose to review only randomized controlled trials (RCTs) involving at least 100 subjects "because they are less subject to bias than other study designs and represent the gold standard for determining efficacy and effectiveness," the authors wrote.

Although panel members attempted to reach consensus on all recommendations, a two-thirds majority was considered acceptable, with the exception of recommendations for which no RCT evidence was eligible for review. For these areas, recommendations were based on expert opinion and required approval by 75 percent of panel participants.

A condensed version of the guideline's nine recommendations follows. Details of the strength of evidence grading system the panel used are discussed in an online supplement(jama.jamanetwork.com) to the guideline.
•In the general population ages 60 and older, pharmacologic treatment to lower BP should be initiated at a systolic blood pressure (SBP) of 150 mmHg or higher or a diastolic blood pressure (DBP) of 90 mmHg or higher. Patients should be treated to a goal SBP lower than 150 mmHg and a goal DBP lower than 90 mmHg. If treatment results in lower achieved SBP and is not associated with adverse effects, treatment does not need to be adjusted.
•In the general population younger than age 60, initiate pharmacologic treatment at a DBP of 90 mmHg or higher or an SBP of 140 mmHg or higher and treat to goals below these respective thresholds.
•In the population ages 18 years or older with diabetes or CKD, initiate pharmacologic treatment at an SBP of 140 mmHg or higher or a DBP of 90 mmHg or higher and treat to goals below these respective thresholds.
•In the general nonblack population, including those with diabetes, initial treatment should include a thiazide-type diuretic, calcium channel blocker (CCB), angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor or angiotensin receptor blocker (ARB).
•In the general black population, including those with diabetes, initial treatment should include a thiazide-type diuretic or a CCB.
•In the population ages 18 or older with CKD and hypertension, initial (or add-on) treatment should include an ACE inhibitor or an ARB to improve kidney outcomes. This applies to all patients in this population regardless of race or diabetes status.
•Finally, the main objective of hypertension treatment is to attain and maintain goal BP. If goal BP is not reached within a month of initiating treatment, increase the dose of the initial drug or add a second drug from one of these four classes. The clinician should continue to assess BP and adjust the treatment regimen until goal BP is reached. If goal BP cannot be reached with two drugs, add and titrate a third drug from the list provided.

This final recommendation includes a caveat that ACE inhibitors and ARBs should not be used concomitantly. If goal BP cannot be reached using the above-named drugs because of a contraindication or the need to use more than three such drugs to reach goal BP, antihypertensive drugs from other classes may be used.

Referral may be indicated for patients in whom goal BP cannot be reached using the above strategy or to manage complicated patients for whom additional clinical consultation is needed.

Takeaways for Family Physicians

According to James, the chief message to family physicians is that the new guideline stands to simplify the management of high blood pressure in their patients.

"No. 1, it's going to simplify the goals (of treatment because) there are only two goals to remember. No. 2, I do think a lot of physicians who take care of the elderly have been concerned over the years about the potential for causing harm by overtreating blood pressure." It's certainly not uncommon for elderly patients to become dizzy on standing because of the antihypertensive medication or medications they take. Such patients, James noted, are at an increased risk for falls and their sequelae.

From that perspective alone, he noted, "I think many people who take care of the very elderly will think these guidelines make more sense."

Overall, "I think we've simplified the drug regimen for family doctors," said James, although certain aspects of the new guideline may have some clinicians doing a double-take, he acknowledged.

"One thing that family doctors may not realize is that beta blockers, which are a tried-and-true and beloved medication for treating high blood pressure, actually got pushed down to the second tier. That may come as a surprise to many of them."

Admittedly, the release of the 2014 guideline likely will raise some eyebrows, and not just for its content. Unlike past guidelines developed by expert panels convened by the NHLBI, the new guidance document was not endorsed by any government agency or professional organization before publication. That's because in the face of a controversial decision NHLBI officials made in June that would have delayed publication of the long-awaited guideline, the authors decided to pursue publication independently, a fact they address in the guideline itself....

http://www.aafp.org/news-now/health-of-the-public/20131218hypertensiongdln.html

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Few days back I tested and the reading was 118 / 76.:o

Few hours later it was 200 / 130. The radio was playing jazz music then!:mad:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
please don't tell me you're attracted to the doctor. and her name is yoni shakyalingam! :eek:

It's a male and he's good at fixing sports injuries of which I have plenty. His favorite non surgical weapon is cortisone.

CheeByeKiaTonyChat

Alfrescian
Loyal
I cannot believe no one suggested soursop yet. It is the ultimate miracle fruit. Come on cancer also can cure leh. What is some minor aliment like hbp.

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Went to the doctor a couple of weeks ago and my blood pressure was 150/100. Doc told me that I had to get it down or he'd have to prescribe medication.

Monitored by blood pressure at home for the last 10 days. It has never gone above 120/75. The Omron bp monitor I'm using has been calibrated and is accurate.

What should I do? Any doctors in the house?

Before you do anything to lower your blood pressure, you need to first ascertain whether you really have Slight High Blood Pressure or not. According to the 1 reading that you took at the clinic, the answer is yes, while you BP machine indicate otherwise.

I suggest you see a (or the same) doctor again to test your High BP. Bring along your Omron and see whether the reading tallies or not.

If you really have High BP, then do whatever the doctor advice you too.

If you don't. Good for you.

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
Few days back I tested and the reading was 118 / 76.:o

Few hours later it was 200 / 130. The radio was playing jazz music then!:mad:

Ok now, we identify the problem. Such 200/130 fluctuation is madness, even for hardcore rock music. We might not be looking at just white-coat hypertension now.

Either you need a new BP machine or your BP swings are too wild.

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
As long as your BP is found elevated above the average at any one time, in the office or at home, you should seriously consider pharmacological intervention.

Other factors which you should consider: your age, your weight, your height ,bmi, your geneticl predisposition, family history of cardio vascular events,other co morbidities like high cholesterol, diabetes,gout,...lifestyle,smoking,drinking,diet, exercise, work stress etc etc..

all these are contributory to your general well being...many fit and "normal" people can suddenly suffer a stroke or get a heart attack for many reasons:

whether your BP elevation is due to white coat hypertension, to excitement, to other causes....you have to seriously consider taking some form of preventive medications to prevent cardio-vascular events which can come most unexpectedly.....

i have friends who are very healthy and physically fit with some form of " mild elevation of blood pressure" and they suffer cardio vascular complications: many have strokes and heart attacks. some have terminal renal failures....

it is better to take some form of mild anti hypertensive medications coupled with a change of life-style/diet etc to prevent any form of unexpected cardio-vascular events...

my neighbour was only 35 years old. his BP was 130/90....and one day, he had a bad fight with his wife. he blew his top. he burst his artery. and he collapsed and passed on....REMEMBER HYPERTENSION IS A SILENT KILLER. TREAT IT WITH THE UTMOST RESPECT....

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's a male and he's good at fixing sports injuries of which I have plenty. His favorite non surgical weapon is cortisone.

nothing to fear then. my heart beat goes up and bpl rises when my female doctor puts on her rubber gloves and asks me to strip waist down for a prostate check. :o

jw5

Loyal
Went to the doctor a couple of weeks ago and my blood pressure was 150/100. Doc told me that I had to get it down or he'd have to prescribe medication.

Monitored by blood pressure at home for the last 10 days. It has never gone above 120/75. The Omron bp monitor I'm using has been calibrated and is accurate.

You coming to the forum to ask for medical advice? :eek::biggrin:

What I hear is that the mercury manometer instrument used by the doctor is usually more accurate.
Best thing is to go back to the doctor and ask him what next. :p

Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

That's a bit on the high side.

Try to exercise more, cut down on salt intake (even better if you eat potassium-rich foods) and stop being frustrated or anxious about everything.

Also, donating blood may help to reduce your blood pressure.

Your blood pressure may fluctuate throughout the day, it is perfectly normal. Being excited, impatient or aroused may cause a temporary spike in your blood pressure.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why, Sam! You're positively malnourished! Come back and I'll take you out for cakes. That will put some squeeze back in your butt cheeks. :p

that's very normal for an avid cyclist. i'm 65kg and my butt cheeks are squeezable. :o

TeamDrifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Poor bastard kopiuncle, everyone is ignoring him even though he tried so hard to fit in with detailed and informative posts, really poor bastard this kopiuncle

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The nurse is butt ugly.... one of those fat matronly figures that the West is so full of.... very nice lady though.

Matronly nurses have more experience, and are less likely to fuck it up than some young rookie nurse fresh out of nursing school.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
As long as your BP is found elevated above the average at any one time, in the office or at home, you should seriously consider pharmacological intervention.

Other factors which you should consider: your age, your weight, your height ,bmi, your geneticl predisposition, family history of cardio vascular events,other co morbidities like high cholesterol, diabetes,gout,...lifestyle,smoking,drinking,diet, exercise, work stress etc etc..

all these are contributory to your general well being...many fit and "normal" people can suddenly suffer a stroke or get a heart attack for many reasons:

whether your BP elevation is due to white coat hypertension, to excitement, to other causes....you have to seriously consider taking some form of preventive medications to prevent cardio-vascular events which can come most unexpectedly.....

i have friends who are very healthy and physically fit with some form of " mild elevation of blood pressure" and they suffer cardio vascular complications: many have strokes and heart attacks. some have terminal renal failures....

it is better to take some form of mild anti hypertensive medications coupled with a change of life-style/diet etc to prevent any form of unexpected cardio-vascular events...

my neighbour was only 35 years old. his BP was 130/90....and one day, he had a bad fight with his wife. he blew his top. he burst his artery. and he collapsed and passed on....REMEMBER HYPERTENSION IS A SILENT KILLER. TREAT IT WITH THE UTMOST RESPECT....

This contradicts the latest guidelines which you posted earlier. :confused:

Fighting with the wife is extremely dangerous even in the absence of any cardiovascular risk.

A friend of mine had a fight with his wife and ended up $2 million poorer.