• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Error 524 is getting to me

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What's happening to access to this forum? I am getting at least a few 524 errors when I am on this forum.

Is this the work of the PAP or Sam not paying his bills or Sun Ho's curse? :biggrin:

Awake

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

CloudFlare support

Error 524

Michelle Zatlyn
Jul 22 12:19 pm

error-524.png

An Error 524 means that the connection to the origin web server was made, but the origin web server timed out before responding to the request.

The likely cause is either an overloaded background task, database or application (i.e. such as Wordpress), over stressing the resources on your machine. The database is often the cause.

To resolve the issue, please work with your hosting provider or web development team to free up resources for your database or application.

The difference between a 522 and 524 error is that with a 522 error, the connection times out before the request is completed.

This means that the server is overloaded. With a 524 error, the connection is made but then the request times out.

The likely cause is that a background task is timing out. The most common cause would be the database or a slow application.

Big Sexy

Super Moderator
SuperMod
no mate, CloudFlare is used to make the forum more secure

CloudFlare leverages the knowledge of a diverse community of websites to power a new type of security service. Online threats range from nuisances like comment spam and excessive bot crawling to malicious attacks like SQL injection and denial of service (DOS) attacks. CloudFlare provides security protection against all of these types of threats and more to keep your website safe.
https://www.cloudflare.com/features-security

Sounds like the work of the PAP then. :biggrin:

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Database overload.............but why?

There're hardly more than 10 active users at any one time.........................

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Database overload.............but why?There're hardly more than 10 active users at any one time.........................
There are only a handful of reasons why that message should show up :

1. DDoS attack in progress. Cloudflare should kick in to handle it.

2. Server or network glitch. eg server went through an autoreboot for some reason.

3. Database maintenance being performed or database backing up.

4. Server actually overloaded because the forum traffic is too high for the hardware or pipes to manage.

4 is not possible as I have plenty of spare capacity so the error must be caused by 1 to 3.

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

2. Server or network glitch. eg server went through an autoreboot for some reason.

3. Database maintenance being performed or database backing up.4. Server actually overloaded because the forum traffic is too high for the hardware or pipes to manage.

4 is not possible as I have plenty of spare capacity so the error must be caused by 1 to 3.

You can find out if it is 1, 2, 3 or 4 easily, right?

Also, from what I experienced 2 days ago......only sammyboy.com shows Cloudflare kicking in but singsupplies.com just shows a no connection page.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
You can find out if it is 1, 2, 3 or 4 easily, right?

Also, from what I experienced 2 days ago......only sammyboy.com shows Cloudflare kicking in but singsupplies.com just shows a no connection page.

I'd have to pour through the logs... hardly a productive pursuit unless I actually suspected something amiss. Reboots and network interruptions occur on all networks on a regular basis... could be a router issue, DNS etc. If it was not caused by a server event, the logs would tell me nothing.

singsupplies is protected by another DDoS mitigation system not cloudflare.

The bandwidth graph for the last 24 hours shows nothing unusual so there was obviously hardly any downtime or there'd be an obvious gap in the bandwidth consumption.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

3. Database maintenance being performed or database backing up.

4. Server actually overloaded because the forum traffic is too high for the hardware or pipes to manage.

I have been experiencing this error message since last week and it happens so often.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I have been experiencing this error message since last week and it happens so often.

I've never seen it and the traffic stats show that if does occur, it is hardly a show stopper.

I'm not a Google or Facebook. I can't afford multiple redundancies or build my own dedicated data centre with techs on standby 24/7.

I run this site on nothing more than 2 dedicated servers with a small hosting company.

If it happens again, let me know the date and time it happened and I'll see whether I can uncover anything more.

Administrator

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have not seen these message too. The forum is running perfectly well.

I've never seen it and the traffic stats show that if does occur, it is hardly a show stopper.

I'm not a Google or Facebook. I can't afford multiple redundancies or build my own dedicated data centre with techs on standby 24/7.

I run this site on nothing more than 2 dedicated servers with a small hosting company.

If it happens again, let me know the date and time it happened and I'll see whether I can uncover anything more.

Last edited: