• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Iskandar Residences @ Medini

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://www.johornow.com/english/tr...-medini-iskandar-in-4-different-perspectives/

"A logical location for Singaporean businesses to expand its operations is in Johor, it is because it is a great place to enjoy a better quality of life at a lower cost. Singapore is known to be the most expensive city to live in the world (according to research by the Economist Intelligence Unit). While it takes ⅓ of that cost in Singapore to live in Johor. Even cynics will say that Johor holds great potential. The only problem is the timing of investment. No one knows when will be the next boom, and when will the investors catch the upturn.

Medini has the capacity to attract sizable population if its succeed in flourishing its commercial and recreational activities and the biggest solution for the cross-border congestion is the looming High-Speed Rail (HSR) connecting Kuala Lumpur to Singapore."

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://www.johornow.com/english/tr...-medini-iskandar-in-4-different-perspectives/

"A logical location for Singaporean businesses to expand its operations is in Johor, it is because it is a great place to enjoy a better quality of life at a lower cost. Singapore is known to be the most expensive city to live in the world (according to research by the Economist Intelligence Unit). While it takes ⅓ of that cost in Singapore to live in Johor. Even cynics will say that Johor holds great potential. The only problem is the timing of investment. No one knows when will be the next boom, and when will the investors catch the upturn.

Medini has the capacity to attract sizable population if its succeed in flourishing its commercial and recreational activities and the biggest solution for the cross-border congestion is the looming High-Speed Rail (HSR) connecting Kuala Lumpur to Singapore."

This is exactly the same story for Hong Kong and Shenzhen.
The cost of living in Shenzhen even better at less then half while the property prices is only a fraction.
The night life, entertainment, shopping etc. in SZ is quite exciting too......in fact SZ is more bustling then KL!
And going to SZ is even easier, from HK just take the MRT to the last station, walk over to the CIQ and hop onto the SZ subway.
But do you see hundreds of thousands Hongkongers moving over?
Most middle income families rather stay in a literally pigeon hole in HK (many less than 50 sq m) than moving to SZ.
So, don't develop false hope.

Last edited:

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal

However, there is also another possible scenario.
With the rapid development of JB and the commercial and industrial sector, tens of thousands of workers from other states north of Johor will flock over for employment opportunities.
Well, there will be a boom and you'll be seeing people all over JB.
But this will be entirely different in nature from your envisage of "growth and boom"!
This is also exactly the same story in SZ, hundreds of thousands of other provinces all over China flocked into SZ for employment opportunities.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporeans are very smart people. They are always better than Malaysians.
They make more money than local Malaysians. SG is always more advanced than MY.
Singaporeans do not need any form of advice from Malaysians.
They are the best, anytime better than Malaysians.

My duty is to tell them to go back, don't waste time and money in Iskandar.

Stop being sarcastic about Singaporeans, many have not invested in Iskandar and will not ever. It is those few that have taken the bait hook line and sinker and completely ignorant about their investments that need some kicking in the butt to wake up.

tstar

Alfrescian
Loyal
the living standard in hk is really pathetic and pitiful for most commoners. they may enjoy the convenience and high living cost. but for commoners, their biggest plight, like in other countries, is that they do not have enough cash after they fork out a large portion for installments. so few have downpayment to buy a second flat for investment.

if you go to beijing, shanghai and shen zhen, you will realize that one mil sgd (5mil rmb) cash is not rarely seen for a middle income family. the house price in those cities has increased ten times over the last twenty years. some areas twenty times. that means if you buy an extra flat for investment back in 2003 in beijing in a not so prime area, 200k sgd two room flat has now become 2 mil sgd. that is where their cash come from. that is why china people have mondy to buy houses everywhere in the world.

hk has no R and D, no manufacturing. pin their hope on services and finances, which are highly volatile. their property price has been stagnant over the years.

Shen zhen is a much more vibrant city, a lot of potentials, and known for its many high tech research centres, which make tons of money from the US market these days.

In due time, you willl see hk people getting more and more angry and anxious. jobs losing out to china, young people turned into taxi drivers, and a few generations are forced to squeeze into a pigeon hole.

Last edited:

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Stop being sarcastic about Singaporeans, many have not invested in Iskandar and will not ever. It is those few that have taken the bait hook line and sinker and completely ignorant about their investments that need some kicking in the butt to wake up.

SG is the safest country in the world, MY is not
SG is the least corrupted country, MY is not
SG university is one of the top globally, MY is not
SG is one of the richest, MY is not
SG properties is one of the most expensive, MY is not
SG is biologically and technically advanced, MY is not
SG has the best militarily in ASEAN, MY is not

Why bother investing in MY?

Just listen to this guy…go back. No need to come. Facts are facts. Bye Bye..

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
SG is the safest country in the world, MY is not
SG is the least corrupted country, MY is not
SG university is one of the top globally, MY is not
SG is one of the richest, MY is not
SG properties is one of the most expensive, MY is not
SG is biologically and technically advanced, MY is not
SG has the best militarily in ASEAN, MY is not

Why bother investing in MY?

Just listen to this guy…go back. No need to come. Facts are facts. Bye Bye..

If only......you conveniently left out "Malaysia is cheap, Singapore is not" that alone is gold to many Sinkies here and all above logic flushed down the drain!!!

Facts are facts in these forums LOLOLOL!

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is exactly the same story for Hong Kong and Shenzhen.
The cost of living in Shenzhen even better at less then half while the property prices is only a fraction.
The night life, entertainment, shopping etc. in SZ is quite exciting too......in fact SZ is more bustling then KL!
And going to SZ is even easier, from HK just take the MRT to the last station, walk over to the CIQ and hop onto the SZ subway.
But do you see hundreds of thousands Hongkongers moving over?
Most middle income families rather stay in a literally pigeon hole in HK (many less than 50 sq m) than moving to SZ.
So, don't develop false hope.

Oeiii.. why you so bad bad one?! Pour cold water. :(

I don't know much about how the Hong Kong citizens feel regarding HK-SZ. But we can't say Singaporeans will feel the same in future also. We can't predict till so far. But I feel there are strong signs to show the strains.

Generally people in SG are already complaining how overcrowded the whole place is. It's so bad I don't even want to go out sometimes. Want to eat out also must sometimes queue for like 20 mins. Can't even walk in a straight line.

BTO 4 room HDB flats already start to cost S$400k and above. Better location ones are priced S$500+k to over S$600k. DBSS flats like condos without the facilities already hit over S$1mil. 5-rooms are now selling on average about S$900+k. These are public housing leh!!!

Singapore has become too successful due to the government's greed and is a victim of its own success. Many commoners will find it hard to survive next time.

If you project this down to 2025 or 2030, you will see it won't get better. How to when there is no more land in SG?

So when the transport network improves, it is not a fairytale to expect many Singaporeans moving over. Even MNCs from Singapore will relocate to Medini or other parts of Iskandar.

I feel that Khaw Boon Wan was testing water when he once commented how cheap the old folks homes are in Johor. Singaporeans were furious so he didn't want to say any more. He was probably hinting going over to Johor is a viable solution in future.

Why do you think the government allows our Medisave to be used in 2 hospitals in Johor? That's also another hint. Gleneagles won't be so stupid to set itself up in Medini for nothing. The show will come 7-10 years time.

In the end, the government's stand is, let the rich come and remain in Singapore. It will become like Tokyo, New York, London, Paris. The commoners have no choice but to "spill out" into Johor.

If you ask your friends who live in those big cities overseas, you will see that commoners all live in the suburbs and take 1 hr by train to work in the cities. Our suburbs in future will no longer be Sengkang/Punggol or Sembawang. It's Iskandar. :smile:

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal

I don't know much about how the Hong Kong citizens feel regarding HK-SZ. But we can't say Singaporeans will feel the same in future also. We can't predict till so far. But I feel there are strong signs to show the strains.

Generally people in SG are already complaining how overcrowded the whole place is. It's so bad I don't even want to go out sometimes. Want to eat out also must sometimes queue for like 20 mins. Can't even walk in a straight line.

BTO 4 room HDB flats already start to cost S$400k and above. Better location ones are priced S$500+k to over S$600k. DBSS flats like condos without the facilities already hit over S$1mil. 5-rooms are now selling on average about S$900+k. These are public housing leh!!!

Singapore has become too successful due to the government's greed and is a victim of its own success. Many commoners will find it hard to survive next time.

If you project this down to 2025 or 2030, you will see it won't get better. How to when there is no more land in SG?

So when the transport network improves, it is not a fairytale to expect many Singaporeans moving over. Even MNCs from Singapore will relocate to Medini or other parts of Iskandar.

I feel that Khaw Boon Wan was testing water when he once commented how cheap the old folks homes are in Johor. Singaporeans were furious so he didn't want to say any more. He was probably hinting going over to Johor is a viable solution in future.

Why do you think the government allows our Medisave to be used in 2 hospitals in Johor? That's also another hint. Gleneagles won't be so stupid to set itself up in Medini for nothing. The show will come 7-10 years time.

In the end, the government's stand is, let the rich come and remain in Singapore. It will become like Tokyo, New York, London, Paris. The commoners have no choice but to "spill out" into Johor.

If you ask your friends who live in those big cities overseas, you will see that commoners all live in the suburbs and take 1 hr by train to work in the cities. Our suburbs in future will no longer be Sengkang/Punggol or Sembawang. It's Iskandar. :smile:

If only your analysis is that simple based on costs alone and all being equal. See Tekkun's post on SG VS Malaysia and see my reply...which may only apply to about 5 Singaporeans in this forum, the rest of the 3 million plus Sinkies actually do pay attention to Tekkun's points.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
If only......you conveniently left out "Malaysia is cheap, Singapore is not" that alone is gold to many Sinkies here and all above logic flushed down the drain!!!

Facts are facts in these forums LOLOLOL!

Property investment is just like sex. You are a happily family man yet you get itchy. You got a HDB yet you are greedy. You start to see over in Malaysia, there are pretty girls. You crave for it but after the session, you are scared. You are worried you might get disease. At at that spur of the moment, you just listen to the pimp and you dived. So you go and buy a house. After that you kpkb.

So if you are so kiasi, better don't go to any of these joints. Stay safe at home. HDB is the best. No fear of any disease. No fear of any sex adventures.

Be a real man. Be a "anak jantan". Dare to do it, dare to admit. Dare to buy it, dare to commit.
Don't be a softie. MY has no place for these softies. Can't stand the heat, go back to where you belong.

Last edited:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

I also feel that HDB prices are very high...hard to say that they are all affordable. But then perhaps some will say such high prices are actually proof that buying SG properties are best. Problem is, for most people now who is just starting out or who don't have much to begin with , forking out that money is difficult. As shared before, I have a friend who is thinking of buying a $680K HDB resale flat around Bedok area. Not sure how much instalment that would be per month, but it should be a fairly large amount to pay. So maybe even if SG properties are sure huat one, getting one in the first place may not be a sure-get one?

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Property investment is just like sex. You are a happily family man yet you get itchy. You got a HDB yet you are greedy. You start to see over in Malaysia, there are pretty girls. You crave for it but after the session, you are scared. You are worried you might get disease. At at that spur of the moment, you just listen to the pimp and you dived. So you go and buy a house. After that you kpkb.

So if you are so kiasi, better don't go to any of these joints. Stay safe at home. HDB is the best. No fear of any disease. No fear of any sex adventures.

Surprise, surprise most Singaporeans actually heed that advice. Only 5 people in these forums plunged in and having cold feet, cold sweat and cold hands now...... haha

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Brother, your analogy is very amusing! LOL!

Anyway, it has been mentioned that it is foolish to dump one's life savings into a RM800,000 JB condo, because that amount can earn better interest in MY fixed deposits. But wouldn't that be assuming that most would have hard cash of $270K to begin with? I doubt so, but maybe it's just me whose bank account have nothing to show for. But putting that depressing thought aside, I would also think that those who happen to have life savings of $270K and itchy to invest in property would not commit that entire hard cash into buying a JB condo, if they die die want to buy one in JB. They would likely take out a loan at say 80%, and invest the money somewhere, or maybe put it in the housing loan/current account so that they do not need to service the interest. I suppose that would be what I would do, if I had that kind of life savings.

AHGS14

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not sure if any of the critics posting so far are Millennials or Strawberry generations. Their thinking are known to be drastically different from the baby boomers, even gen X. Many biz have to rethink and redevelop their strategies. How many of the expert analysis based on extrapolation from the past will hold true is anybody's guess.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal

Anyway, it has been mentioned that it is foolish to dump one's life savings into a RM800,000 JB condo, because that amount can earn better interest in MY fixed deposits. But wouldn't that be assuming that most would have hard cash of $270K to begin with? I doubt so, but maybe it's just me whose bank account have nothing to show for. But putting that depressing thought aside, I would also think that those who happen to have life savings of $270K and itchy to invest in property would not commit that entire hard cash into buying a JB condo, if they die die want to buy one in JB. They would likely take out a loan at say 80%, and invest the money somewhere, or maybe put it in the housing loan/current account so that they do not need to service the interest. I suppose that would be what I would do, if I had that kind of life savings.

The crux of the story is you need Guts to invest in a foreign country. To have those Guts, you need experience.
If you are balless, then stay at home. :biggrin:

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal

Haha... That RM800k or S$270k is my example.

Why don't you think people can plunge that money on a Medini condo? Even you find it scary. I do too.

People like Comfy here mentioned he had bought 2 Iskandar Residences condos! I'm not sure about him. Maybe he's rich enough to do that. I am assuming one condo cost on average a ridiculous RM800k.

Whether one takes a bank loan or pay in cash, he or she is pretty much screwed. It's easy to calculate.

Say you don't pay in cash and take 70-80% loan. At 4.5% p.a., calculate how much you would have paid up just on interest alone at the end of 5, 10 15, 20 years. It's MASSIVE!

For many years down the road, there won't be any rental or resale demand. It's negative returns.

If you choose to pay in cash, it's not any better. It means you are locking up your capital (RM800k) on a property that is not making you money. It's a liability instead.

The problem with those who bought all these Medini condos is that they overpaid. Maybe they lost their logic and listened too much to those cunning sales agents who had told them a load of crappy bulls***.

Condos in the more developed parts of Johor with good amenities are selling at only RM400+ psf or even lower. Even then, many have problems finding buyers.

What makes a bare place with lots of land in Medini worth to buy at RM750 psf and above? Your risk exposure is so much higher. It's worse knowing that Malaysians won't buy such EXPENSIVE and LEASEHOLD resale condos, and the critical mass is not even there.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha... That RM800k or S$270k is my example.

Why don't you think people can plunge that money on a Medini condo? Even you find it scary. I do too.

People like Comfy here mentioned he had bought 2 Iskandar Residences condos! I'm not sure about him. Maybe he's rich enough to do that. I am assuming one condo cost on average a ridiculous RM800k.

Whether one takes a bank loan or pay in cash, he or she is pretty much screwed. It's easy to calculate.

Say you don't pay in cash and take 70-80% loan. At 4.5% p.a., calculate how much you would have paid up just on interest alone at the end of 5, 10 15, 20 years. It's MASSIVE!

For many years down the road, there won't be any rental or resale demand. It's negative returns.

If you choose to pay in cash, it's not any better. It means you are locking up your capital (RM800k) on a property that is not making you money. It's a liability instead.

The problem with those who bought all these Medini condos is that they overpaid. Maybe they lost their logic and listened too much to those cunning sales agents who had told them a load of crappy bulls***.

Condos in the more developed parts of Johor with good amenities are selling at only RM400+ psf or even lower. Even then, many have problems finding buyers.

What makes a bare place with lots of land in Medini worth to buy at RM750 psf and above? Your risk exposure is so much higher. It's worse knowing that Malaysians won't buy such EXPENSIVE and LEASEHOLD resale condos, and the critical mass is not even there.

Since the topic was with the “poor chap’s” life savings of $270K, I don’t think the person will just dump that lump sum as an outright cash purchase, well…at least I won’t. But if he takes out an 80% loan and put that 80% cash into the current account, there won’t be interest to pay at all. Of course that would mean he is not earning interest on that amount, but then he is not “bleeding to death” either. And assuming he did not buy in Medini but some other condos in more built up areas with already existing population and amenities, it could still be that maybe he can make some money after a few years.

Side note: I was taking the family for a spin yesterday to explore our neighbourhood and beyond (for the first time in almost 3 years LOL!) and found ourselves in EcoWorld’s sales gallery and had a walk around Eco Tropics. Wow….we were impressed by the whole setup. I think it’s much nicer than Horizon Hills. And the landed houses are going at less than RM500K! Unbelievable. In Singapore $500K also cannot find anything similar…haiz…

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since the topic was with the “poor chap’s” life savings of $270K, I don’t think the person will just dump that lump sum as an outright cash purchase, well…at least I won’t. But if he takes out an 80% loan and put that 80% cash into the current account, there won’t be interest to pay at all. Of course that would mean he is not earning interest on that amount, but then he is not “bleeding to death” either. And assuming he did not buy in Medini but some other condos in more built up areas with already existing population and amenities, it could still be that maybe he can make some money after a few years.

Side note: I was taking the family for a spin yesterday to explore our neighbourhood and beyond (for the first time in almost 3 years LOL!) and found ourselves in EcoWorld’s sales gallery and had a walk around Eco Tropics. Wow….we were impressed by the whole setup. I think it’s much nicer than Horizon Hills. And the landed houses are going at less than RM500K! Unbelievable. In Singapore $500K also cannot find anything similar…haiz…

How do you take out an 80% loan and AT THE SAME TIME put another 80% cash in a current account? Does it mean you loan from the bank RM640k, but at the same time, put another RM640k in a current account?

Firstly, you will need that much cash to put in the current account. For a "poor chap", where to find RM640k cash upfront? Secondly, you are still essentially using a lump sum to pay off the loan amount, just indirectly. Your interest may be zero but you are locking up the money in the current account in order to avoid paying interest.

Actually, there are people who will outright pay cash. S$270k is not really a lot to a millionaire. They don't dump everything but pay progressively within 3-4 years. It's not worth to pay the 4.5% bank interest on such a small amount.

This is a condo in Medini forum. That's why we're at it. If it's somewhere else, of course, it's a different story. Why would I pay RM800k on a Medini condo when I know a condo beside mine paid only RM500k for the same size? I would also consider buying a landed property with that kind of money.

There you have it! RM500k for a landed house in Eco Tropics! So cheap? I might buy it too if I were to retire any time soon. Why buy an overpriced condo with no amenities, no rental and resale value?

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Surprise, surprise most Singaporeans actually heed that advice. Only 5 people in these forums plunged in and having cold feet, cold sweat and cold hands now...... haha

Si-tu-pid people only dig and dig for gold, baru tahu all are lady boys. Komplain lagi.
Take off all clothes then onli know. Too late liao. They think they so smart but kena now. Johore ppl all laughing.