• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

AGC acts against cartoonist Leslie Chew

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SINGAPORE: Singapore's Attorney-General's Chambers (AGC) has started legal proceedings in the High Court against Leslie Chew Peng Ee for contempt of court by scandalising the judiciary of Singapore.

AGC said the action is in connection with Leslie Chew's publication of various comics as part of the "Demon-cratic Singapore" series on Facebook.

The legal proceedings are aimed at protecting the administration of justice in Singapore and upholding the integrity of one of the key public institutions. Four out of five comics in the series are involved in the AGC action, and these were published in 2011 and 2012.

As a first step in the legal proceedings, AGC asked for and received the court's permission to apply for an order of committal against Leslie Chew.

The hearing on the committal application has been fixed on August 12 in the High Court. The hearing will allow the High Court to decide if contempt of court has been committed.

If the court decides that an offence has been committed, it will set out the punishment to be imposed, which can be a jail term, a fine, or both. - CNA/ac

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
His drawing skill sucks, would not have bothered about his cartoons. But thanks to AGC, I'm aware of this cartoonist now.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
NB poor till need to ask for donations for a meal.

HJoW4fH.jpg

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
The question I have is this: How does this guy earn a living? Is a a freelancer as a cartoonist?

In any case I would not be surprised if his career takes off after this incident, as it did with sticker lady, Sam Lo.

Poomer

Alfrescian
Loyal
The question I have is this: How does this guy earn a living? Is a a freelancer as a cartoonist?

In any case I would not be surprised if his career takes off after this incident, as it did with sticker lady, Sam Lo.

I'm a fan of his. Hes a full time cartoonist living across the causeway. He accept donations as he does this 'full time', setting if i remembet correctly a monthly pay of $1700? He does keep track of all donations he receives and put the accounts on fb. extra donations are carried over to the next month.

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

if he is stuck in jail, he wont here a career

Poomer

Alfrescian
Loyal
if he is stuck in jail, he wont here a career

I think fine or maybe a week jail only. The courts also no people will kp if the sentence mete out is unbefitting the crime.

That said, dunno which high flyer lawyer will do it pro bono this time round.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm a fan of his. Hes a full time cartoonist living across the causeway. He accept donations as he does this 'full time', setting if i remembet correctly a monthly pay of $1700? He does keep track of all donations he receives and put the accounts on fb. extra donations are carried over to the next month.

Well, then, he has proven one thing: that with some talent and the use of social media you can have a fulfilling existence if one isn't extravagant.

That said, the issue then is this: if poking fun at a "fictional' place gets him an audience and is effectively his bread-and-butter, his audience and livelihood might disappear if he is forced to end his poking fun at that "fictional" place.

So, there is money in political satire but there might not be much money in other satire that people cannot relate to.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Well, then, he has proven one thing: that with some talent and the use of social media you can have a fulfilling existence if one isn't extravagant.

That said, the issue then is this: if poking fun at a "fictional' place gets him an audience and is effectively his bread-and-butter, his audience and livelihood might disappear if he is forced to end his poking fun at that "fictional" place.

So, there is money in political satire but there might not be much money in other satire that people cannot relate to.

All this is just part of his marketing strategy to make money and a name for himself.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
All this is just part of his marketing strategy to make money and a name for himself.

It would be a marketing strategy that succeeds if a major publication, whether it be a daily, a weekly or a monthly, or even an online news site hired him full-time as its in-resident cartoonist. That is very possible. And I think that this might have in fact crossed his mind.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A friend of mine reposted his cartoon in his fb and get called up by ISD for kopi.
Now statement taken pending if Kena charge for sedition.

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SINGAPORE: Singapore's Attorney-General's Chambers (AGC) has started legal proceedings in the High Court against Leslie Chew Peng Ee for contempt of court by scandalising the judiciary of Singapore.

Another gang rape by kangaroos.
Kangaroos used by PAP maggots and cockroaches because PAP too fucking cowardly and too yellow to face the comments directly
So PAP have to hid behind those bastards kangaroos

FUCK THOSE CHEEBYE KANGAROOS
ONCE SMEAR OF SHIT ON SOLE OF SHOE LKY EAT JOSS STICKS AND CANDLE WAX
AND PAP IMPLODE IN ORGY OF PUS AND EXCREMENT LETTING
THE FUCKING KANGAROOS MUST BE PUT TO AN END.
LIKE JAILING ALL THOSE KANGAROOS AND LET THE PRISONERS IN PRISON HANDLE AND GANG RAPE THOSE KANGAROOS

spotter542

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Don't see anything wrong calling a kangaroo court a kangaroo court :rolleyes:
Can't be a koala court or Tasmanian Devil court right ?
:oIo: