• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ UEFA Champions League 2013/2014 ║

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Juventus can win Champions League next year, says Lippi

376805_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Apr 14, 2014 12:41:00 PM

The current Guangzhou Evergrande boss is optimistic about the Bianconeri's chances in Europe in 2014-15 and feels a Europa League triumph this year will lift the club

Former Juventus coach Marcello Lippi believes the Serie A champions have the potential to go all the way in the Champions League next season.

The Turin giants made it to the quarter-finals of European club football's elite competition last term, while they failed to get out of the group stages this campaign.

However, Lippi has little doubt that they will do better in 2014-15 and even thinks they can win the competition with a bit of luck - particularly if they seal a Europa League triumph this season.

"Juventus are a team full of potential. They continue to grow and become stronger and stronger," Lippi was quoted as saying by Tuttosport.

"They can already go all the way in the Champions League next season. Obviously, a lot depends on the draw if you are to go far in the Champions League and you always need a bit of luck.

"Aside from a few summer signings, what Juventus need is to take their winning mentality to Europe, too. They have dominated Serie A in recent years and are clearly the strongest domestically. This confidence and enthusiasm will serve them well in the Champions League.

"It would benefit them if they beat one or two big teams in Europe. It would be a huge confidence boost if they can pull this off early in the competition. Winning the Europa League would also be a boost."

Juventus meet Benfica in the semi-finals of the Europa League.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Messi refused to run because he hates playing on the wing - former Barcelona coach

388909_heroa.jpg

Apr 15, 2014 9:00:00 AM

Radomir Antic has told Goal that the little Argentine's lack of effort in the European exit to Atletico was due to him being fielded in a position that he dislikes

EXCLUSIVE
By Alberto Pinero

Former Barcelona coach Radomir Antic believes that Blaugrana superstar Lionel Messi deliberately stayed away from the action during the 1-0 Champions League defeat against Atletico Madrid due to his frustration at being played as a winger.

The Argentina international was heavily criticised after running just 6.8 kilometres as Barca crashed out of Europe and Antic has likened Messi's situation under Gerardo Martino to that of Rivaldo under Louis van Gaal during the 1999-2000 campaign.

Van Gaal insisted on playing the Brazilian on the left wing against his will - despite his preference to be deployed centrally - leading to a strained relationship between the two.

"Messi did not do much running because the coach told him to play as a winger. This was Messi's way of saying 'If you want me to play on the wing, I will do just that'," Antic told Goal.

"This situation is pretty similar to what happened between Van Gaal and Rivaldo. Van Gaal forced Rivaldo to play on the left and each time he got the ball, he just passed it back to Winston Bogarde.

"It is clear that Barcelona have a major problem. How are they going to accommodate Messi, Neymar and Andres Iniesta in one team?

"I don't think Messi will accept playing as a winger after everything he has done for Barcelona. He will say 'If you want me on the wing, I will play there, but whether I will get involved in the game is another thing...'"

Barcelona head into tomorrow's Copa del Rey final against Real Madrid in Valencia in something of a crisis after back to back defeats against Atletico and Granada saw them dumped out of the Champions League and facing an uphill struggle to retain La Liga.

Antic, who coached Barcelona in 2003 and also had three spells at Atletico and one at Real Madrid, then went on to voice his surprise at Cristian Tello's limited game-time this season after his fine performances last term.

"We are all talking about Messi, Neymar and Iniesta, but we forget one of the revelations of last season: Tello. He offers something that Alexis Sanchez, Pedro and the others don't have and brings a lot to the team.

"And then there's another problem and that's that good players don't always make up a good team. I think this is Barcelona's problem at the moment."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

PSG president offers Blanc his 'unconditional support'

388715_heroa.jpg

Apr 16, 2014 9:22:00 AM

The former France defender's position has reportedly come under scrutiny following the Champions League defeat to Chelsea but the club's owner has quashed the speculation

Paris Saint-Germain president Nasser al-Khelaifi has dismissed speculation surrounding the future of Laurent Blanc and offered the embattled coach his "unconditional support".

Blanc has come under fire following a dismal week which has seen his side exit the Champions League after squandering a 3-1 first-leg advantage against Chelsea and then lose 1-0 at Olympique Lyonnais in Ligue 1.

Going out of European competition was a significant setback for a club bankrolled by the Qatar Investment Authority but Al-Khelaifi insists Blanc is secure in his job.

He told Le Parisien: "I am extremely surprised to read the various reports on our coach.

"It's very simple: he is our coach now and I insist that I want him to stay. I was very clear on that before the return game against Chelsea and my opinion has not changed."

PSG have the chance to avenge their loss to Lyon when they take on les Gones in the Coupe de la Ligue final on Saturday but Al-Khelaifi is adamant even a third straight loss will not alter his stance.

"Laurent Blanc has my unconditional support and anything that happens on the pitch cannot change it," he added.

Blanc is under contract with PSG until the end of next season and the club have already proposed a 12-month extension, which the former France boss is considering.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bayern have no chance against Real Madrid in current form, says Guardiola

389703_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Apr 16, 2014 8:49:00 AM

The Spanish coach has warned that his side "are in a dangerous situation" and has called on them to step up their performances if they are to reach the Champions League final

Pep Guardiola believes that Bayern Munich do not stand a chance against Real Madrid in their Champions League semi-final tie unless they rediscover their old form.

The Bavarians have been struggling to hit their top level in recent weeks and have won only one out of their last five official games, much to the frustration of Guardiola.

"If we play in Madrid like we have done recently, we have no chance of reaching the final," Guardiola said at a press conference.

"If we play like we have done in the last three league games, we won't be reaching any finals.

"We're in a dangerous situation. When the focus isn't there, then the head is slow and everything happens a little slower."

Bayern last met Madrid in the Champions League in 2011-12, when the Bundesliga champions beat their Spanish rivals on the away-goals rule before eventually losing the final to Chelsea at the Allianz Arena.

The first leg of this season's semi-final tie is scheduled to take place at Santiago Bernabeu on April 22.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'Bayern must show passion and heart to beat Madrid' - Guardiola

389703_heroa.jpg

By Peter McVitie
Apr 16, 2014 6:12:00 PM

The former Barcelona coach has urged his "exceptional" players to get back to winning ways after they suffered two straight league defeats

Pep Guardiola has called upon Bayern Munich to show "passion and heart" in their next games as they look to progress to the finals of the Champions League and DFB-Pokal.

The Bavarian giants have won just one of their last five games in all competitions - a 3-1 victory over Manchester United in their quarter-final tie - during which time they lost two consecutive Bundesliga matches.

But Bayern, having already wrapped up the league title, are still in with a chance of winning a second straight treble, as they face Kaiserslautern in the DFB-Pokal semi-final on Wednesday a week before the first-leg of their Champions League last-four meeting with Real Madrid.

And Guardiola has urged his players to up their game and show more desire if they are to reach the final of each competition.

"We need to show passion and heart," he told the Bundesliga's official website. "That's the only way we'll make it to the final in Berlin and overcome Real Madrid to reach the Champions League final. Sometimes defeats help you to improve."

The coach then urged his "exceptional players to go back to playing their own game".

Captain Philipp Lahm reiterated his coach's point, insisting his side cannot slip up like they did against Borussia Dortmund at the weekend.

"We have to perform to 100 per cent of our abilities, concentrate on the game and not make so many mistakes like we did against Dortmund."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Boost for Bayern Munich as Neuer expects to return against Real Madrid

391980_heroa.jpg

Apr 17, 2014 9:13:00 PM

Germany's No.1 missed the win over Kaiserslautern with the calf injury he picked up against Borussia Dortmund but he is confident of being available for the trip to the Bernabeu

Bayern Munich have been boosted by the news that goalkeeper Manuel Neuer expects to be fit for Wednesday's Champions League showdown with Real Madrid.

The Germany international was forced off at half-time in last weekend's Bundesliga defeat to Borussia Dortmund because of a calf problem.

However, while Neuer was left out of the squad for Wednesday night's DFB-Pokal win over Kaiserslautern, the 28-year-old shot-stopper is confident of being available for the first leg of Bayern's Champions League semi-final tie against Madrid at the Santiago Bernabeu.

"I feel very good," he told his club's official website. "I'm assuming that I can play on Wednesday."

After taking over in goal for the 5-1 rout of Kaiserslautern, the 20-year-old Lukas Raeder is once again expected to deputise for Neuer in Saturday's Bundesliga meeting with Eintracht Braunschweig.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ronaldo targets Madrid return versus Bayern

391869_heroa.jpg

Apr 17, 2014 10:42:00 AM

The Portugal international is happy with his recovery from injury and aims to return to the pitch against the Bundesliga champions in the Champions League semi-final

Real Madrid attacker Cristiano Ronaldo is hopeful of making his comeback from injury in the first leg of their Champions League semi-final against Bayern Munich on Tuesday.

The Portugal international has not featured for Carlo Ancelotti's men since the first leg of the Champions League quarter-final with Borussia Dortmund on April 2, originally missing out with a knee injury before picking up a hamstring problem.

The 29-year-old was disappointed not to be involved in Madrid's Copa del Rey final win over Barcelona on Wednesday, but hopes to face reigning European champions Bayern at Santiago Bernabeu next week.

"I'm really happy. I wanted to play and help the team but my team-mates did a great job. I'm getting better, now I don't feel any pain," Ronaldo told the club's official website.

"I might be back in time for next Wednesday or perhaps the second leg of our Champions League tie.

"Bit by bit I'm feeling better and what I want more than anything is to be able to help the team out as soon as possible."

Ronaldo has been in sublime form for Madrid this term, netting 45 goals in 41 appearances in all competitions.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hazard a 'major doubt' for Atletico Madrid clash

388495_heroa.jpg

By Gill Clark
Apr 18, 2014 2:24:00 PM

The winger limped out of the quarter-final victory over PSG with a calf injury, and is yet to train with the squad ahead of Tuesday's match

Eden Hazard is a "major doubt" for Chelsea's Champions League semi-final first-leg clash with Atletico Madrid.

The double player-of-the-year nominee limped out of his side's quarter-final second-leg victory over Paris Saint-Germain with a calf injury and looks set to miss the meeting with Diego Simeone's men as well.

Chelsea assistant manager Steve Holland said earlier in the week that Hazard should be available again "sooner rather than later", but Friday's update is far more negative.

"Hazard is not definitely out for Tuesday but he hasn't trained with the squad yet which means he's a major doubt," Holland told reporters.

Before the clash at the Vicente Calderon, Chelsea travel to bottom-of-the-table Sunderland with renewed belief in their title bid.

A Connor Wickham double saw the Black Cats hold Manchester City to a 2-2 draw on Wednesday, meaning the Blues can now claim the title if they win all of their remaining games.

Holland continued: "First, second and third position are possible for all three teams at the top. It is very close. This is a club that is used to playing a lot of matches at this stage of the season.

"It is a really challenging period, not just physically - that's obvious - but emotionally too. I think experience is always vital in any competition. We have a good blend in our squad.

"This game tomorrow is of huge importance. I don't believe the title will be decided by our match with Liverpool. Tomorrow will be a very difficult game that we have to approach in a very professional manner.

"The objection for this club is to be competing for major honours at the business end of the season. Thankfully we are."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Schweinsteiger: Bayern want to 'dominate' Madrid

295444_heroa.jpg

By Alec Fenn
Apr 18, 2014 12:40:00 PM

The midfielder says the Bavarians will continue to try and impose their possession-based style on the newly-crowned Copa del Rey winners at the Santiago Bernabeu

Bastian Schweinsteiger has revealed Bayern Munich's will aim to dominate Real Madrid in the first leg of their Champions League semi-final on Wednesday.

Pep Guardiola has imposed the same possession-based style of football on the reigning European holders as he used during his time in charge at Barcelona.

That system has served him well so far, with Bayern already crowned Bundesliga champions and on track to retain their Champions League title having seen off Manchester United in the quarter-finals.

Madrid, armed with Gareth Bale and Cristiano Ronaldo in attack, pose a very different threat than the soon to be deposed Premier League champions, but Schweinsteiger says his side will not change their approach one bit.

He said: "I want to defend the Champions League, that is our goal. It has never been done before.

"For us it is the case that we want to dominate the game. When we press we press as a team, the guys at the front will be our first line of defence."

The 29-year-old also admitted Germany's World Cup campaign has begun to emerge on the horizon, but is wary of making any bold predictions as to their chances of lifting the famous trophy.

"Sure, I want to have success with Germany in Brazil. However, I don't want to make the mistake of speaking about the trophy before the tournament has even begun!"

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Saturday April 19 2014

Chelsea jealous of Atletico schedule

By Football Espana staff

holland-mourinho490ai.jpg

Chelsea’s assistant manager has lamented the help given to Atletico Madrid by the RFEF ahead of the Champions League meeting between the sides.

Steve Holland, Jose Mourinho’s No.2 at Stamford Bridge, has criticised the Football Association for the schedule imposed on Chelsea when compared to their Spanish counterparts’ handling of Atletico.

Atleti played on Friday evening, beating Elche 2-0, giving them an extra day to prepare for the European tie on Tuesday.

Real Madrid play Bayern Munich on Wednesday and their League game against Real Valladolid has been moved to May 7.

Chelsea, meanwhile, play Sunderland today, and AS reports Holland as admitting the Blues would have appreciated the same kind of help.

“Atletico played [on Friday] and Madrid don’t even play,” Holland said.

“I’m sure they appreciate the help they’ve had from their federation.

“This period of the season is a challenge, not only physically but mentally.

“Chelsea are accustomed to playing many games at this time of year. It’s essential to have experience and we have a good mix in the team.”

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Silva: PSG should have beaten Chelsea

19 April 2014

441279header.jpg

Thiago Silva believes Paris-Saint Germain should have qualified from their UEFA Champions League quarter-final tie with Chelsea.

Laurent Blanc's men came into the second leg at Stamford Bridge as favourites, following a 3-1 success in the French capital in the opening leg.

However, goals from Andre Schurrle and Demba Ba saw Chelsea pick up the 2-0 victory they required to progress on away goals.

The reverse was difficult to take for Brazil international Silva, who feels his side ought to have progressed to the last four.

"It is always complicated reacting after a defeat, especially before the following game," he said.

"The loss against Chelsea has been tough for us. We strongly believed in our chances of going far in this competition.

"With all due respect to Chelsea, we believe we should have qualified."

PSG are likely to seal a second consecutive Ligue 1 crown and have another chance of silverware on Saturday as they face Lyon in the Coupe de la Ligue final.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

UEFA to disclose FFP findings in May

389467_heroa.jpg

Apr 20, 2014 12:14:00 AM

Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain are believed to be among the 76 clubs whose finances are being scrutinised by the European game's governing body

Uefa have announced that the findings of their investigations into clubs that may have breached their Financial Fair Play (FFP) regulations will be announced in May.

The Investigatory Chamber of the Club Financial Control Body met earlier this week to discuss the finances of 76 European outfits, with reports claiming that the likes of Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain are among those being scrutinised.

Any sides found to have breached Uefa's rules could face sanctions, including potential bans from European competition and hefty fines.

FFP was introduced by Uefa to ensure that clubs operate within their means by restricting excessive spending in the European game.

The Club Financial Control Body - headed by former Belgian prime minister Jean-Luc Dehaene - was set up specifically to look into the issue and, on Saturday Uefa, confirmed that their first findings, based on clubs' accounts from the past two seasons, will be announced in early May.

"The Investigatory Chamber of the Club Financial Control Body (CFCB) held a two-day meeting last week where it deliberated on the investigations relating to financial fair play," the European game's governing body said in a statement.

"The procedure is ongoing and any findings of the Investigatory Chamber will be published after its next meeting, which is scheduled to take place in the first week of May."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Advantage Atletico as pressure mounts on Mourinho and Chelsea

392467_heroa.jpg

Apr 19, 2014 11:00:00 PM

The Rojiblancos remain on course for La Liga and look to have the edge in the sides' forthcoming Champions League tie after the Blues surprisingly lost to Sunderland on Saturday

COMMENT
By Ben Hayward | Spanish Football Writer

Advantage Atletico. While Diego Simeone's side stayed top of La Liga by beating Elche on Friday, Chelsea's title tilt teeters on the brink after Jose Mourinho's men lost at home to Sunderland on Saturday. And as the two teams prepare to meet in the Champions League next week, it's the Spanish side with the edge.

Mourinho has already complained in the build-up to that tie - via assistant manager Steve Holland - that Atleti will benefit from an extra day's rest ahead of the sides' semi-final meeting on Tuesday and sarcastically applauded the officials on Saturday after Sunderland were awarded a contentious late penalty for a supposed Cesar Azpilicueta foul on Jozy Altidore, which Fabio Borini put away to seal a surprise 2-1 win.

But such conspiracy theories and complaints won't wash. Quite simply, his side weren't good enough over 90 minutes and just one goal from a set piece against the Premier League's bottom team tells a tale of the Blues' blues at the Bridge on Saturday.

And this latest performance will beg the question: If Chelsea cannot break down the Premier League's third-worst defence at home, how can they expect to penetrate a team that has conceded only twice to Barcelona in five games this term?

Atletico's win at home to Elche on Friday arrived thanks to two second-half goals, neither of which were from open play either. First, Joao Miranda headed home from a corner and later, Diego Costa converted from the penalty spot after David Villa had missed an earlier spot-kick.

Elche had been the better team in the first half and Atleti were made to work extremely hard to win all three points, but again Simeone's strategy of taking one game at a time (and each one more important than the last) paid off with a vital victory. Mourinho's moaning did not.

"We still won't talk about winning La Liga," Simeone said on Friday. "We know how difficult it will be. The players put in a great effort and now they will think about recovering for the match on Tuesday, which is important for the club and the history of Atletico."

Mourinho, meanwhile, kept it brief but highly controversial: "There are only four things I want to say," he revealed afterwards. "First, congratulations to my players, who gave everything. Congratulations to Sunderland, because they won. Congratulations to (referee) Mike Dean for a fantastic performance and congratulations to (referees' chief) Mike Riley because what they did during the season is fantastic for how the championship is going."

Chelsea's assistant coach Rui Faria had to be restrained during fierce protests and Mourinho is likely to be hit with a heavy fine for his latest comments after he lost a league match at home as Chelsea boss following 77 games unbeaten at Stamford Bridge.

The defeat leaves his side needing other results to go in their favour in the title race now, while Atleti remain in control of their own destiny in La Liga - just three wins from claiming the Primera Division crown. Much like last season, when Simeone's side beat Mourinho's Madrid in the Copa del Rey final at the Santiago Bernabeu and the season ended in turmoil for the Portuguese, pressure is mounting again for the 51-year-old following events this weekend and recent results. Advantage Atletico.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Madrid boosted by Ronaldo return

390634_heroa.jpg

By Alec Fenn
Apr 20, 2014 10:30:00 AM

The 29-year-old missed Wednesday's Copa del Rey final victory over Barcelona with a knee injury but is on course to make a swift recovery

Real Madrid have been boosted by the return of Cristiano Ronaldo to training ahead of their Champions League semi-final against Bayern Munich.

The 29-year-old missed Wednesday's Copa del Rey final win over Barcelona with a knee injury and looked set to be absent for the first-leg of his side's last four European tie on Wednesday.

However, he could now be available for the clash with Pep Guardiola's side after coming through the first part of Sunday's training session.

Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti will also be encouraged by the participation of Marcelo, who emerged unscathed from the practice having been sidelined with a hamstring problem.

Copa del Rey hero Gareth Bale was also present following his match-winning heroics in midweek, while defender Sergio Ramos worked alone inside the club's training facility.

The news that Ronaldo will be back for the crunch clash will not only come as a relief to Madrid, with Bayern CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge admitting that he was eager to see the Portuguese face his side.

"When Real Madrid play Bayern Munich, then the whole world will be watching. I always want the best players to be on the pitch," he told TZ.

Real Madrid and Bayern face one another at 20:45CET on Wednesday.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Guardiola must deliver ultimate Pep talk for Madrid clash

392758_heroa.jpg

Apr 19, 2014 6:50:00 PM

The Bundesliga champions produced another poor performance on Saturday and their form since winning the title will be a big concern ahead of the trip to the Bernabeu on Wednesday

COMMENT
By Ben Hayward | Spanish Football Writer

Bayern Munich are playing a dangerous game. Football is often all about momentum and since winning the Bundesliga in late March, Pep Guardiola's side have been desperately disappointing.

Saturday's laboured win at bottom club Eintracht Braunschweig was more of the same. Two goals in the last 15 minutes from Claudio Pizarro and Mario Mandzukic gave Bayern what was a comfortable cushion in the end. In truth, however, the scoreline flattered the champions and a similar showing on Wednesday will likely leave their Champions League hopes hanging in the balance.

Guardiola has never lost at the Santiago Bernabeu as coach and will prepare with precision and attention to detail for Wednesday's match, but Real Madrid approach the European clash on a high after claiming the Copa del Rey this week. Bayern, by comparison, have recently resembled a pale shadow of the side which swept to a stunning treble under Jupp Heynckes in 2012-13.

After sealing the Bundesliga crown last term, Heynckes' team remained relentless, thrashing Nurnberg 4-0, then hammering Hannover 6-1 in a run of six wins and a draw (at Borussia Dortmund) in their final seven league matches, while also beating in-form Juventus 2-0 away from home to seal a place in the Champions League semi-finals with a 4-0 aggregate success.

Pep's side, by contrast, have now played seven times since claiming the title and won just three of those. A 3-3 draw at home to Hoffenheim was followed by a 1-1 tie at Old Trafford against a struggling Manchester United side. Defeat (albeit after resting many of his players) then came at Augsburg, before a hard-fought 3-1 win at home to United which had seen Bayern briefly behind, a dreadful defeat at home to Dortmund, a 5-1 cup win over second-tier Kaiserslautern and then Saturday's disappointing display.

Guardiola no doubt had Wednesday's trip to Madrid on his mind, but the former Barca boss nevertheless picked a strong side and not only did Bayern fail to find their rhythm until late in the game, they also looked vulnerable on the counterattack - something particular concerning ahead of a meeting with players like Gareth Bale, Angel Di Maria and, if fit, Cristiano Ronaldo.

"Madrid are always a difficult team," Guardiola said before the game against Braunschweig. "They have just won the Copa and they will be even more sure of themselves."

The Catalan coach also added that in order to play well against Madrid, his side would need to produce a positive performance on Saturday. "We need a good game to prepare us for Madrid," he said.

But he didn't get one and must now find a way to motivate his toiling team for what is probably their greatest challenge so far this term. "We won't arrive at the Bernabeu in our best moment," the 43-year-old admitted afterwards.

Madrid haven't impressed in all of their big matches this season by any means, but as Guardiola said, the Copa success over Barcelona on Wednesday will give Ancelotti's side renewed confidence, while the Spanish side also have a weekend off because their league game at Valladolid has been switched and are hoping to welcome back Ronaldo from injury, too.

In football, form and impetus can count for a lot. Just ask Barcelona. The Catalans were on target for a treble just 10 days ago, but now look likely to end the season without a major trophy after their European exit to Atletico, the Copa defeat to Real and a shock Liga loss to Granada last weekend.

Madrid's momentum makes them even more dangerous ahead of Wednesday's game, while Bayern's fluctuating form is far from the ideal preparation for a big Champions League semi-final. So fans of the Munich side will hope Guardiola can lift their team at the ground where he has masterminded some of his most memorable triumphs as a coach. Over to you then, Pep.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

UEFA Champions League Preview: Atletico Madrid v Chelsea

20 April 2014

441855header.jpg

Jose Mourinho will be hoping more sincere congratulations are in order when Chelsea visit Atletico Madrid in the UEFA Champions League.

The Portuguese cut a frustrated figure as he witnessed his Chelsea side lose ground in the Premier League title race in a 2-1 setback to Sunderland on Saturday, a defeat that saw Mourinho's 77-match unbeaten league run at Stamford Bridge come to an end.

Following that disappointment, Mourinho's post-match press conference had a somewhat sarcastic feel to it, as he offered congratulations to official Mike Dean - who had awarded Sunderland a controversial penalty that was converted by former Chelsea forward Fabio Borini - as well as Mike Riley, the general manager of the Professional Game Match Officials Board, which is responsible for appointing referees to Premier League matches.

Now, the 51-year-old must prepare his charges and focus on what is likely to be Chelsea's best chance of silverware this season.

But victory will not come easy in Tuesday's semi-final first-leg encounter at the Vicente Calderon, against an Atleti side that refuse to relinquish their grasp on top spot in La Liga.

Diego Simeone's men have won eight straight matches in the Spanish top flight in what has been a superb campaign and remain favourites to dethrone reigning champions Barcelona.

Perhaps more impressively was the way that Atleti ensured their first semi-final in Europe's premier competition since 1974, as they overcame Barca 2-1 on aggregate.

The way in which Simeone's side quelled the threat of superstar Lionel Messi over the two legs was a particular highlight.

However, Chelsea have oft proved their mettle in the Champions League in recent seasons, including lifting the famous trophy in 2012 following a penalty shootout victory over current champions Bayern Munich.

Furthermore, in Mourinho - who is sure to face a hostile reception from a partisan crowd following his tenure in charge of rivals Real Madrid - Chelsea have a manager who is looking to create history by becoming the first man to triumph in the Champions League with three different teams, following successes with Porto and Inter.

Indeed, Chelsea's progression to the final four was equally as impressive as Atleti's, as the Stamford Bridge outfit defeated Ligue 1 champions Paris Saint-Germain 2-0 on home soil to overturn a 3-1 first-leg deficit and progress on away goals.

If Chelsea are to leave the Spanish capital with a first-leg victory, they will do so without suspended defender Branislav Ivanovic, while attacker Eden Hazard remains a doubt with a calf problem.

Intriguingly, on-loan Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois could face his parent club, with the question of his availability the cause of much controversy following the semi-final draw.

Aside from the question mark over Courtois, Atleti will monitor the fitness of winger Arda Turan, who has recently returned to training following a groin injury.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rummenigge: I hope Ronaldo plays against Bayern

352277_heroa.jpg

By Enis Koylu
Apr 20, 2014 7:48:00 AM

The Bavarians' CEO wants to see the best players take to the field in a tie that the whole world will be watching

Bayern Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has voiced his hope that Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo is fit to play against his side in the Champions League semi-finals in midweek.

The 29-year-old picked up a muscular injury during his side's 3-0 quarter-final win over Borussia Dortmund and has not played since, most notably missing the Copa del Rey final Clasico win against Barcelona.

However, Rummenigge is hoping that the former Manchester United man lines up against his side to underline the tie's status as the better last-four clash.

"I always want to ensure that the best players are on the pitch because the semi-finals are a great spectacle shown all over the world," he told TZ.

"The other game [Atletico Madrid-Chelsea] is also good but if Real Madrid play Bayern Munich, then it is the game the whole world will be watching.

"I always wish for the best players to be on the pitch, but whether Ronaldo will be fit, I cannot say now."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'Chelsea encounter is special for me' - Courtois

393690_heroa.jpg

By Nicholas McGee
Apr 21, 2014 11:46:00 AM

The Belgian shot stopper admits he will be an Atletico fan for both games against his permanent employers and believes they can reach the final

Atletico Madrid's Thibaut Courtois believes parent club Chelsea will be favourites for the Champions League semi-final clash between the two sides.

Diego Simeone's men host the Blues in the first-leg of their last-four tie on Tuesday, aiming to reach the final of Europe's premier club competition for the first time since 1974.

The tie sees on-loan keeper Courtois come up against permanent employers Chelsea for the second time since joining Atletico temporarily three years ago.

On the first occasion, Atletico beat the London club 4-1 in the 2012 Super Cup, a result that the Belgium international is hopeful of replicating this time around.

"For me, the fact that we’ve drawn Chelsea, like we did in the European Super Cup, is special because even though I'm at Atleti, Chelsea are my club too," Courtois told FIFA.com.

"It's better not to think about it too much though and play like I always do, because if I start thinking, 'Oh, I'd better be careful', then I'll end up playing poorly.

"I want to win trophies here and I'll be an Atleti supporter for these two games, but at all other times I'm a Chelsea fan too. I hope they win the Premier League, just not these two [Champions League] matches.

"I really hope we can reach the final as we're so close. [Chelsea] are the favourites, but Barca were too."

Atletico lead La Liga by four points from Barcelona and are on course to claim a double that few would have anticipated at the start of the season.

And Courtois feels coach Simeone deserves much of the credit for their achievements.

"So much of this success is down to Simeone because he's the man who’s guided us this far," the 21-year-old added.

"From the first time he spoke to us when he was appointed, he told us he had a very clear idea about how he wanted things to be done and how he wanted us to play.

"That clarity has been key. You might be out for five weeks but when you come back you know exactly what you have to do, because the way we set ourselves out doesn't change. We know what each player's role is."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Gabi: Atletico have more desire than anyone

370958_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
Apr 21, 2014 10:38:00 AM

The Rojiblancos captain is ready to face Jose Mourinho's Chelsea "weapons" and says the tie will be emotional for Fernando Torres

Atletico Madrid midfielder Gabi claims his side have more desire than any of the other Champions League semi-finalists.

Diego Simeone's side have enjoyed a stunning campaign to date, leading La Liga by four points heading into the final four rounds of matches, and are preparing for a last-four European clash with Chelsea after beating Barcelona in the quarter-finals.

Gabi acknowledges that fellow semi-finalists Bayern Munich, Real Madrid and Chelsea have a huge amount of quality at their disposal but insists his side want to win the tournament more than anyone.

"We have more desire than anyone. I don't know if we have more capability, but more desire, that's for sure. We're going to try to show that," he told reporters.

Gabi is expecting a tough task against Jose Mourinho's well-drilled side on Tuesday and believes the match will be won by whichever side is best able to stick to their game plan.

"Mourinho's teams are tactically very well prepared and will come out to play their game. We have to counter their game with ours, using the wings, looking for Diego. The more successful team will win.

"It's clear he has weapons, he's very intelligent."

Tuesday's clash marks Fernando Torres' first return to Vicente Calderon after leaving Atletico in 2007, and Gabi admits it will likely be an emotional evening for the 30-year-old.

"I called [Torres] after the Barca game. We spoke about many things. It's an emotional moment for him, he has not yet returned to the team of his heart," he added.

"The people, including myself, are very grateful for what he did for the club."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'I hope Torres has a bad game' - Suarez

390829_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
Apr 21, 2014 9:28:00 AM

The midfielder admits it will be a special occasion to see the former Atletico Madrid striker back at the Vicente Calderon but is determined to ensure there is no happy return

Atletico Madrid midfielder Mario Suarez says the team are eagerly anticipating the return of Fernando Torres this week - but hopes the striker has a bad game for Chelsea.

The 30-year-old, who left the Vicente Calderon for Liverpool in 2007 prior to his switch to Stamford Bridge, is set to face his boyhood club on home turf for the first time in the Champions League semi-final on Tuesday.

While Suarez admits the struggling striker remains an idol for Atleti players, he is eager to see Torres endure a torrid 90 minutes upon his return to the Spanish capital.

"For all atleticos it will be very special to see Torres playing here," he is quoted as saying by Marca. "He has been an idol for many of us and he's coming back to the Calderon for the first time. If he plays, I hope he has a bad game and only enjoys himself after the match."

Suarez went on to stress that the sight of former Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho in the opposition dugout will not prove a distraction for Atletico.

"For me, it doesn't matter who's on the opposition bench," he said. "Of course, together with [Pep] Guardiola, [Diego] Simeone, [Rafael] Benitez, he is one of the best coaches in the world. The important thing is we do things right.

"As the boss says, we approach it as a final. We know that the first game is vital in this kind of knock-out tie, and we're playing at home, with our fans, our 12th man."

Suarez believes Eden Hazard will likely pose the biggest threat to the Liga leaders on Tuesday but says they can triumph in the tie if they put in the same levels of effort as they did in the quarter-final win over Barcelona.

"I think Chelsea's best player this year is Hazard. They are physically very strong, they know what they're doing at every moment and they have a clear idea of play: to steal the ball and attack quickly into the space," added the 27-year-old.

"[We'll approach the game] as ever, by giving 120 per cent, being united, playing together, running to our maximum. They are a team we know very well. We must be very attentive, and not make mistakes."