• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

One of Singapore's most advanced submarines declared battle-ready

SleepWithSnake

Alfrescian
Loyal

One of Singapore's most advanced submarines declared battle-ready

Published on Apr 30, 2013

rssswo3004e.jpg

The last of Singapore's most advanced submarines was declared battle-ready on Tuesday, April 30, 2013, sharpening the capabilities of the Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN) in underwater warfare. -- FILE PHOTO: MINDEF

By Jermyn Chow

The last of Singapore's most advanced submarines was declared battle-ready on Tuesday, sharpening the capabilities of the Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN) in underwater warfare.

The RSS Swordsman was commissioned, following more than two years of tests and torpedo-firing exercises in Sweden and in the warmer and more corrosive waters here. The 60.5m diesel-electric vessel arrived in Singapore in last December. This is the second Archer-class vessel to be added to the RSN's 171 Squadron, after the first, RSS Archer, was declared operational in 2011. The submarine squadron also comprises four ageing Challenger-class submarines.

Deputy Prime Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam, who was at the ceremony in Changi Naval Base, said the new vessel will strengthen the navy's ability to safeguard Singapore's "continued and unimpeded access to the maritime routes".

He noted that Tuesday's ceremony also marked the end of the RSN's eight year journey to replace some of the Challenger-class submarines, which were built in the 1960s.

Get the full story from The Straits Times.

36782b950c2fcf1e46eb32727912bc3a-kim-jong-un-4.gif

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wait a minute..with S China Sea crawling around with Chinese vessels..where is Swordsman going to submerge and swim? Straits of Malacca? What is it going to do there? Pose obstruction or enforce the maritime ERP system?

we have already submarines, how cum still have piracy in Straits of Malacca - submarine neber detect? then use submarine for fuck? Stay underwater n beo bikini babes?

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The problem with diesel subs is once the engine is on, you can sink it with anti-sub countermeasures immediately. It ain't nuclear and it does not stay under water long. It is just expensive crap.

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
If a old sub can be so easily retrofitted with AIP, then there won't be any need to build new one. It still obsolete by any standard.

The source of acoustic signature of submarine comes mainly from

1. Machinery noise: noise generated by a ship's engines, propeller shafts, fuel pumps, air conditioning systems, etc.
2. Cavitation noise: noise generated by the creation of gas bubbles by the turning of a ship's propellers.
3. Hydrodynamic noise: noise generated by the movement of water displaced by the hull of a moving vessel.

Modification of old sub can only address 1 and 2. But nothing much they could do to improve the hydrodynamic design of the hull. It relatively advance only because the regional navies don't have much/any ASW capability. Against more powerful regional navies like China, Japan, I don't think this piece of shit stand much chance.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
2 years in sweden, omg, the pap dogs and their families must have made a killing in sweden, no wonder they will always support PAP.

hsienloong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Part of my "TOYS" collections.
Since young I was obsessed with anything military right down to my underwears.
Tell me how many of you can actually afford to own such a fine collection.
Muahhaahhahahah!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Malaysia sub more advance. Submerge until today, no one see before.

It is submerged in the Mongolian deserts...how much diesel does those "sardines' that the RSN bought, consume?:p

Last edited:

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
If a old sub can be so easily retrofitted with AIP, then there won't be any need to build new one. It still obsolete by any standard.

Modification of old sub can only address 1 and 2. But nothing much they could do to improve the hydrodynamic design of the hull. It relatively advance only because the regional navies don't have much/any ASW capability. Against more powerful regional navies like China, Japan, I don't think this piece of shit stand much chance.

exactly, so the sub is fit-for-purpose if operating only in this region. no reason for us to be deploying subs against china and japan.

good on the SAF to not spend excessively.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Diesel electric subs are better and quieter at running at narrow depths as compared to nuclear submarines. Nuclear subs are better for blue water navies hence the USA only has nuclear subs. But these Singapore subs are abit old, wonder what is its real purpose? maybe just as training vessels so that singapore can get the much better stuff in future. Not that I see that Singapore has a need for Submarines.