• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

many 'halal hawker center suffering from poor business

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i'll choose nasi padang over halal chinese food any time. i think many halal chinese stalls just don't bother making the effort to get the taste right.

certain chinese dishes CMI without pork.......find substitute also no use........just like vegetarian dishes........

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Same lah. Nowadays, Malay hawker also taking shortcut in preparing their food. So the standard will drop.

Malay food the ingredients are cheap but the process of preparing it takes time, lazy then it is quite hard to make it nice.

I used to have a Malay gf, went to her house for meals and her mother's Nasi Lemak is the best and still the best I have tasted so far.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Same lah. Nowadays, Malay hawker also taking shortcut in preparing their food. So the standard will drop.

Malay food the ingredients are cheap but the process of preparing it takes time, lazy then it is quite hard to make it nice.

I used to have a Malay gf, went to her house for meals and her mother's Nasi Lemak is the best and still the best I have tasted so far.

Is her "oven' hot? opps! I digress a little!:biggrin: Malay food depends on the cook, many of their preparations are hand me down, home made concoction...I like the tradional home cook Malay food..sedap!:biggrin:

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
you can always walk in showing your circumcised cock

Lonney you got the "sharp-end" of the "shtick".
Crystal is a "Sis" and your remark was uncalled for. She posted what she experience without resorting with any colourful descriptives......

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malays doIng the following has been going on for decades and nothing new.
1) closing shop after few weeks
2) differential pricing for various customers, various days
3) occupying one table infront of their stall to prepare food
4) quality and taste baries

Mainly due to too many family members involved at the start of the business. So the cost is not sustainable for the long run. They occupy the front table because again too many people preparing so no place behind the stall.

Successful stalls is when the machik is the only cook. Once they are successful, they will raise price because they are not keen to expand.

I ever asked my Malay friends why this is so. They laughed and told me that is why there are no well known or established Malay restaurants in Singapore. They told me it will be a disaster. They told me that they any Malay restaurant will collapse overnight as the discounts given to friends, relatives and friends would take over profits. Staff Management is also not their forte.

Any successful Malay or Halal restaurants would have one key family member who is either Chinese or Indian Muslim.

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not only cheap ingredients but also racist. If not same colour, you will either get a much higher price or lesser quantity. After such experience, will you still eat there?

I have seen this topic being discussed in other forums and the m&ds can even excuse that saying malays cannot choose but chinese can choose to eat halal or non halal which is of course the biggest BS of all. Suppose a chinese stall charged m&ds more they would be crying racism racism kill all chinese but when malays charge higher it's fine. :rolleyes:

cocobobo

Alfrescian
Loyal
being in HR i can probably understand the reason for the price difference.

its an open secret malay workers are paid less than chinese for the same job.

i guess the hawkers are actually giving their people a 'discount' to compensate for this.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Blame themself too expensive. Nasi Briyani nearly double the price of Chinese Mix economy rice.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
agree with you 100% on this. I like Malay food but have stopped buying from them because of this attitude of theirs.

Not only cheap ingredients but also racist. If not same colour, you will either get a much higher price or lesser quantity. After such experience, will you still eat there?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
being in HR i can probably understand the reason for the price difference.

its an open secret malay workers are paid less than chinese for the same job.

i guess the hawkers are actually giving their people a 'discount' to compensate for this.

Actually care to explain to me the correlation between the so called salary difference and chinese ppl being openly made to pay more? Look what you mentioned are just your claims and i have never heard of it before and even if it is somehow true we don't know the reason behind it.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
agree with you 100% on this. I like Malay food but have stopped buying from them because of this attitude of theirs.

It's good you do that. I'm sick of this country's attitude in regards to "racism" where chinese are always claimed to be discriminating and when minorities do that it's somehow ok.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
i had experienced this sort of price discrimination at the bedok south hawker centre next to the market and also at the 'mas rayu ' or something like

that ...this shop is along east coast road opposite the DBS treasures/shell petrol station. Mokmin near the Bedok stadium also not good.

You can also expect unfriendly service at the Malay stalls at the Haig Rd hawker's centre....nasi padang...satay stalls. They are obviously racist there too.

Rather than bitch about this kind of discrimination and service.....i just dont patronise them la.

No big loss to them or me.

It's good you do that. I'm sick of this country's attitude in regards to "racism" where chinese are always claimed to be discriminating and when minorities do that it's somehow ok.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i had experienced this sort of price discrimination at the bedok south hawker centre next to the market and also at the 'mas rayu ' or something like

that ...this shop is along east coast road opposite the DBS treasures/shell petrol station. Mokmin near the Bedok stadium also not good.

You can also expect unfriendly service at the Malay stalls at the Haig Rd hawker's centre....nasi padang...satay stalls. They are obviously racist there too.

Rather than bitch about this kind of discrimination and service.....i just dont patronise them la.

No big loss to them or me.

ya lah you know they don't like you then just don't do business with them. Their loss. The thing that kind of pisses me off is that somehow they don't have a problem being openly racist like that yet the moment some chinese they perceive commits some small slight to them perhaps stares at them they'll complain to the heavens that all chinese are racist and they are being discriminated and it can even be something small and even imaginary. Yet they can simply openly discriminate chinese ppl and nope no problems there.