SG Live Bet
SG Tipster
Page 274 of 487 FirstFirst ... 174224264272273274275276284324374 ... LastLast
Results 5,461 to 5,480 of 9735

Thread: Living in JB 2 (Johore)

  1. #5461
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North by North West of Singapore
    Posts
    6,462
    My Reputation Points: 100122 / Power: 206

    Default Re: Living in JB 2 (Johore)

    Quote Originally Posted by ginfreely View Post
    Aiyoh, most Singaporean women are not that pampered lah, my friend has maid also wash dishes leh..I see many good wives too who pay for the mortgage, car, children's expenditure, maid, groceries etc
    Maybe current generations are different, when i look at my sisters, one older, the other much younger and see how they behave. I really have no comments. I am sure there are still rare gems out there. Maybe going extinct.
    Share on Twitter

  2. #5462
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North by North West of Singapore
    Posts
    6,462
    My Reputation Points: 100122 / Power: 206

    Default Re: Living in JB 2 (Johore)

    Quote Originally Posted by DREAMorACTION View Post
    If u have babies now, And when u have raised them up till such a point when they need to attend school, will u move back to sinkie ar?
    I won't, i will just get them to attend the International school here or worse come to worse, study back in SG but to use the yellow bus to send them in and back.
    Share on Twitter

  3. #5463
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North by North West of Singapore
    Posts
    6,462
    My Reputation Points: 100122 / Power: 206

    Default Re: Living in JB 2 (Johore)

    Quote Originally Posted by DREAMorACTION View Post
    So sorry to hear that, bro. U know I have always hoped that things will work out for u. Don't give up, keep on instilling the idea to her and hope the one day it will change her mind, when the time is right.

    Bro wuqi has a point, if possible, commit one now for retirement later is a good idea. Give it a serious thoughts, before things are priced even much more out of reach soon.
    Bro, its generally pointless changing the minds of women (no offence to women here as they are of a different breed) once they have made up their minds.

    The change need to come from them and internal rather than external as one needs to change their mindset first before going anywhere.

    I fully understand his reasons and have nothing but well wishes for him and his family. For all you know, the exchange rate may one day drop to 1 SG to 5 RM so thats why even taking into account inflation, rises in property, it will still be possible for many to buy even then. Who knows?

    As for me, i rather do something now then to do it when i am old and increasingly has lesser options with banks not willing to loan, etc.
    Share on Twitter

  4. #5464
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,075
    My Reputation Points: 80 / Power: 3

    Default Re: Living in JB 2 (Johore)

    That's an option, no doubt. But will that deprive the kid's chance to attend uni like NUS and NTU next time? I mean it's difficult as it is, but if the base education starts from overseas, will the kid be treated as per the requirements for a foreign student?

    Quote Originally Posted by wuqi256 View Post
    I won't, i will just get them to attend the International school here or worse come to worse, study back in SG but to use the yellow bus to send them in and back.
    Share on Twitter

  5. #5465
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North by North West of Singapore
    Posts
    6,462
    My Reputation Points: 100122 / Power: 206

    Default Re: Living in JB 2 (Johore)

    Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    I felt that when you are still employed, you dare to buy or rent.. If you are old and without job, you might not rent or buy anything... Maybe your children need to live with you or you need to help looking after your grand children.... At the end, you will still give up and live in singapore... Singapore is a cool place to live, but you need income to live without fear, unfortunately..

    I am using my house here as a weekend getaway and have no intention to rent it out. It soundso wasteful and doesn't make any sense, but the view I have last week with flock of birds flying high across the golf course, and the feel of a place to retire in future after all the hard work in singapore, is making myself feel very good.. compare with people buying cars in singapore, buying a house here seem wiser..
    Agree, thats why i respect greddy's decision to abide by his wife's rules. Renting is always possible may get harder progressively especially when its unknown when if ever they will come back. Its definitely difficult in SG where once the hand stops, the mouth stops as well.

    I am glad things work out well for you in the end. It was supposed to be a weekend home in itself but it grew on my wife and she grew roots here without us realising. Friends came by the other day and now i have an Australian friend who keeps calling me to show him around.

    Again, its not for everybody so to each his own. At least bro Greddy came out here and saw for himself. Many others simply dismissed it without even coming here once (which was what i once did)
    Share on Twitter

  6. #5466
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,075
    My Reputation Points: 80 / Power: 3

    Default Re: Living in JB 2 (Johore)

    Yah, prediction and guesses are a form of risky game.

    I rather make an informed decision based on what's available in front of my eyes. Don't get me wrong, informed prediction (hindsight is always good of course) will get one very far. But with all these constant policy changes, it's as good as blind guess, if one is to make a prediction for a very far horizons ...


    Quote Originally Posted by wuqi256 View Post
    Bro, its generally pointless changing the minds of women (no offence to women here as they are of a different breed) once they have made up their minds.

    The change need to come from them and internal rather than external as one needs to change their mindset first before going anywhere.

    I fully understand his reasons and have nothing but well wishes for him and his family. For all you know, the exchange rate may one day drop to 1 SG to 5 RM so thats why even taking into account inflation, rises in property, it will still be possible for many to buy even then. Who knows?

    As for me, i rather do something now then to do it when i am old and increasingly has lesser options with banks not willing to loan, etc.
    Last edited by DREAMorACTION; 18-04-2012 at 11:47 AM.
    Share on Twitter

  7. #5467
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North by North West of Singapore
    Posts
    6,462
    My Reputation Points: 100122 / Power: 206

    Default Re: Living in JB 2 (Johore)

    Quote Originally Posted by DREAMorACTION View Post
    That's an option, no doubt. But will that deprive the kid's chance to attend uni like NUS and NTU next time? I mean it's difficult as it is, but if the base education starts from overseas, will the kid be treated as per the requirements for a foreign student?
    Not really, other foreigners are also given access to our Unis. Some even free as they are on scholarship. Judging from the recognition the guys give to foreign certification even those from dubious countries/sources, it should be very safe. You can still send kids back to SG if you want/need them to sweat it out. Even local Malaysians in the past has been sending their kids to SG for their secondary school education. Those who will make it will make it. They have fire in their bellies.

    There is never any guarantee. Even those who were in the system, given priority education or at least polytechnic, no matter how much you educate them, may still turn out to be prostitutes or some even become pornstars in the end.

    Education is key but not everything, the right values, outlook in life is essential as well.
    Share on Twitter

  8. #5468
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North by North West of Singapore
    Posts
    6,462
    My Reputation Points: 100122 / Power: 206

    Default Re: Living in JB 2 (Johore)

    Quote Originally Posted by DREAMorACTION View Post
    Yah, prediction as guesses are a form of risky game.

    I rather make an informed decision based on what's available in front of my eyes. Don't get me wrong, informed prediction (hindsight is always good of course) will get one very far. But with all these constant policy changes, it's as good as blind guess, if one is to make a prediction for a very far horizons ...
    Agree, thats why after i did my due dilligence i decided to come out here.
    You and i, our risk appetites are different as well. Not everyone can take it.
    Share on Twitter

  9. #5469
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,075
    My Reputation Points: 80 / Power: 3

    Default Re: Living in JB 2 (Johore)

    I think this is the biggest problem with most of the parents. They feel safer believing that everything is given, as long as they do what are required to secure a place at school etc ... Helping out eca, be a "lollipop woman" (sorry, cant help lol) at the zebra lines outside schools etc etc. it's really hard to break this mindset, I can understand, given that my parents did the same for me. I also think its a genuine concern that priority will be given to sgporean with spore educational background vs sgporean with foreign educational background, unless the foreign education is from the top school that's recognized worldwide ...



    Quote Originally Posted by wuqi256 View Post
    Not really, other foreigners are also given access to our Unis. Some even free as they are on scholarship. Judging from the recognition the guys give to foreign certification even those from dubious countries/sources, it should be very safe. You can still send kids back to SG if you want/need them to sweat it out. Even local Malaysians in the past has been sending their kids to SG for their secondary school education. Those who will make it will make it. They have fire in their bellies.

    There is never any guarantee. Even those who were in the system, given priority education or at least polytechnic, no matter how much you educate them, may still turn out to be prostitutes or some even become pornstars in the end.

    Education is key but not everything, the right values, outlook in life is essential as well.
    Share on Twitter

  10. #5470
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North by North West of Singapore
    Posts
    6,462
    My Reputation Points: 100122 / Power: 206

    Default Re: Living in JB 2 (Johore)

    One thing i learnt is to never take anything for granted and never ever assumed things will stay the same 10-15 years down the road. Not for Johore, not for Singapore and definitely not the dynamics of how the world continues to evolve. Empires, countries and regimes come and go. What is spoken as a primary language today may become a secondary language in years to come. Who knows in life?

    What works for the older generation may no longer be relevant right now. In the past, parents told one to study hard so that one can have a better future than the rest. How many U grads do we have right now? Even ah bengs have diplomas and even degrees these days.

    Education is not the only differentiating factor nowadays with so many in the market, foreign or otherwise. How do you differentiate yourself from your nearest competitor? Upper class, first class honours or another MBA? Its like an arms race relentlessly evolving.

    There is no 100% guarantee that education will get you anywhere these days even though its a still must have. It becomes a way to ensure that at least your skillsets are just par for the course and on even footing with all the talents in the world. There was a reason why they kept tweaking the education system in SG, even importing US ways as they realised the old ways are not good enough (or no longer as relevant) Being one step ahead, critical thinking and real worlds skills sets are what i hope to impart to my kids not just which ECA to choose to score more points.

    Let us remember, there was never a dynasty in China which lasted throughout all time, every one was replaced by another one when the time was up. Qin by Han, Han by Jin, later Sui with Tang and Tang with Song etc.

    Even after 1911 when the revolution came, so many things still changed after that.

    The only permanence in life is change, the sooner we learnt to deal with it, the better.
    Share on Twitter

  11. #5471
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,075
    My Reputation Points: 80 / Power: 3

    Default Re: Living in JB 2 (Johore)

    Very true bro. Even workplace culture like loyalty is worthless nowadays. Job hoppers everywHere. Employers retrench the long-serving employees like no one biz. Such is the change and reality.

    Kids nowadays should be taught on the entrepreneurship skills more than anything. I wish I was brought up with more of this skill set, instead of being trapped in this rat race. Nonetheless, everyone of us will find ways to sustain and survive.

    Bro greddy, for a start, u need to get your wife to start reading this forum to have a chance to move and change her. Gambateh!!

    Quote Originally Posted by wuqi256 View Post
    One thing i learnt is to never take anything for granted and never ever assumed things will stay the same 10-15 years down the road. Not for Johore, not for Singapore and definitely not the dynamics of how the world continues to evolve. Empires, countries and regimes come and go. What is spoken as a primary language today may become a secondary language in years to come. Who knows in life?

    What works for the older generation may no longer be relevant right now. In the past, parents told one to study hard so that one can have a better future than the rest. How many U grads do we have right now? Even ah bengs have diplomas and even degrees these days.

    Education is not the only differentiating factor nowadays with so many in the market, foreign or otherwise. How do you differentiate yourself from your nearest competitor? Upper class, first class honours or another MBA? Its like an arms race relentlessly evolving.

    There is no 100% guarantee that education will get you anywhere these days even though its a still must have. It becomes a way to ensure that at least your skillsets are just par for the course and on even footing with all the talents in the world. There was a reason why they kept tweaking the education system in SG, even importing US ways as they realised the old ways are not good enough (or no longer as relevant) Being one step ahead, critical thinking and real worlds skills sets are what i hope to impart to my kids not just which ECA to choose to score more points.

    Let us remember, there was never a dynasty in China which lasted throughout all time, every one was replaced by another one when the time was up. Qin by Han, Han by Jin, later Sui with Tang and Tang with Song etc.

    Even after 1911 when the revolution came, so many things still changed after that.

    The only permanence in life is change, the sooner we learnt to deal with it, the better.
    Last edited by DREAMorACTION; 18-04-2012 at 12:33 PM.
    Share on Twitter

  12. #5472
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2
    My Reputation Points: 10 / Power: 0
    Share on Twitter

  13. #5473
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,264
    My Reputation Points: 71 / Power: 4

    Default Re: Living in JB 2 (Johore)

    True.. What you have today doesn't mean you can still have it in 10 years times.. Live life as it is, but don't wait until full retirement.. Blackberry was once something every corporate executives want but now it is as good as dead.. Apple is now very popular but I am getting tired of using it.. Singapore has been on a good run for 40 years.. Today there is a national divide between the elites and the norms, and the elites are bringing in foreigners for their votes against the citizens.. How long can it continue? After building 2 casinos, what is next? Some teachers become molesters and making smart money as tutors than spending time coaching the poor students.. Principals went to buy sex from underaged girls.. Civil servants getting caught in cheating govt money.. Ministers all while justifying to get more bonus for themselves and yet so difficult to raise the social funds for the umemployable for 270 to 300.. The govt in our country and others will not take care of you.. Be prepared. Do be prepared.


    Quote Originally Posted by wuqi256 View Post
    One thing i learnt is to never take anything for granted and never ever assumed things will stay the same 10-15 years down the road. Not for Johore, not for Singapore and definitely not the dynamics of how the world continues to evolve. Empires, countries and regimes come and go. What is spoken as a primary language today may become a secondary language in years to come. Who knows in life?

    What works for the older generation may no longer be relevant right now. In the past, parents told one to study hard so that one can have a better future than the rest. How many U grads do we have right now? Even ah bengs have diplomas and even degrees these days.

    Education is not the only differentiating factor nowadays with so many in the market, foreign or otherwise. How do you differentiate yourself from your nearest competitor? Upper class, first class honours or another MBA? Its like an arms race relentlessly evolving.

    There is no 100% guarantee that education will get you anywhere these days even though its a still must have. It becomes a way to ensure that at least your skillsets are just par for the course and on even footing with all the talents in the world. There was a reason why they kept tweaking the education system in SG, even importing US ways as they realised the old ways are not good enough (or no longer as relevant) Being one step ahead, critical thinking and real worlds skills sets are what i hope to impart to my kids not just which ECA to choose to score more points.

    Let us remember, there was never a dynasty in China which lasted throughout all time, every one was replaced by another one when the time was up. Qin by Han, Han by Jin, later Sui with Tang and Tang with Song etc.

    Even after 1911 when the revolution came, so many things still changed after that.

    The only permanence in life is change, the sooner we learnt to deal with it, the better.
    Share on Twitter

  14. #5474
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,075
    My Reputation Points: 80 / Power: 3

    Default Re: Living in JB 2 (Johore)

    Geez bro ... This is a horrifying message because what u have pointed out is so real. I'm preparing, wait for me to get armed first..

    Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    True.. What you have today doesn't mean you can still have it in 10 years times.. Live life as it is, but don't wait until full retirement.. Blackberry was once something every corporate executives want but now it is as good as dead.. Apple is now very popular but I am getting tired of using it.. Singapore has been on a good run for 40 years.. Today there is a national divide between the elites and the norms, and the elites are bringing in foreigners for their votes against the citizens.. How long can it continue? After building 2 casinos, what is next? Some teachers become molesters and making smart money as tutors than spending time coaching the poor students.. Principals went to buy sex from underaged girls.. Civil servants getting caught in cheating govt money.. Ministers all while justifying to get more bonus for themselves and yet so difficult to raise the social funds for the umemployable for 270 to 300.. The govt in our country and others will not take care of you.. Be prepared. Do be prepared.
    Share on Twitter

  15. #5475
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,264
    My Reputation Points: 71 / Power: 4

    Default Re: Living in JB 2 (Johore)

    Yes.. when we live overseas, we must also learn to blend in, respect locals and their cultures.. talk softly and enjoy what we don't have right here..
    For ourselves, we got to lookout and help each other..


    Quote Originally Posted by DREAMorACTION View Post
    Geez bro ... This is a horrifying message because what u have pointed out is so real. I'm preparing, wait for me to get armed first..
    Share on Twitter

  16. #5476
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    131
    My Reputation Points: 24 / Power: 0

    Default Re: Living in JB 2 (Johore)

    Quote Originally Posted by wuqi256 View Post
    Bro, its generally pointless changing the minds of women (no offence to women here as they are of a different breed) once they have made up their minds.

    The change need to come from them and internal rather than external as one needs to change their mindset first before going anywhere.

    I fully understand his reasons and have nothing but well wishes for him and his family. For all you know, the exchange rate may one day drop to 1 SG to 5 RM so thats why even taking into account inflation, rises in property, it will still be possible for many to buy even then. Who knows?

    As for me, i rather do something now then to do it when i am old and increasingly has lesser options with banks not willing to loan, etc.
    thank you everyone for your well-wishes & suggestions.
    i think bro wuqi understands my situation well (even though i have not really shared too much info about my life)

    in fact, we have gone through thoughts of migration many years back... even applied pr to australia.
    unfortunately due to global financial crisis, they tightened their immigration criteria. migrant managers become worthless and got to wait... trades and engineers get priority. i have lost touch of my tech skills years ago...
    perhaps it is a blessing in disguise.. my wife is a fickle.. sees things only on the surface. i have prepared her as much as possible the type of life overseas.. encouraged her to read forums (and specific useful posts), flown there and met friends who stayed there.
    i also sent her for driving lessons, to get a car for her due to poor public transport system over there.
    she 'was' ready..
    then my kids grow older.. started primary school.. her perspective change.. she wants the best for the kids.
    she started to comment aussie gov education no standard too lax.. and private is too expensive.. so we dropped the idea after much debate.

    last yr.. i started having thoughts of staying in jb instead.. done research, brought everyone there to look-see.
    yes.. she 'was' happy and ready...we almost wanted to buy a resale.. then on deeper thoughts (after having laid down the potential issues).. she changed her mind again.
    i have posted earlier, the kids attend extra classes at night/weekends.. so.. she won't compromise education, or anything that affects it (such as spending time traveling over the border everyday) even when the greener pastures are just out there.

    well.. i have laid my cards on the table and done whatever i could.
    we'll decide when the kids have grown..

    that's life.. not everything goes your way.. paiseh.. a bit emo today
    Share on Twitter

  17. #5477
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,264
    My Reputation Points: 71 / Power: 4

    Default Re: Living in JB 2 (Johore)

    No problem.. the most important thing is the family is happy.. It is not important if one is happy.. A few years down the road, when your kids are older and independent, your might have different ideas.. we might be wrong too.. but who knows?


    Quote Originally Posted by greddy88 View Post
    thank you everyone for your well-wishes & suggestions.
    i think bro wuqi understands my situation well (even though i have not really shared too much info about my life)

    in fact, we have gone through thoughts of migration many years back... even applied pr to australia.
    unfortunately due to global financial crisis, they tightened their immigration criteria. migrant managers become worthless and got to wait... trades and engineers get priority. i have lost touch of my tech skills years ago...
    perhaps it is a blessing in disguise.. my wife is a fickle.. sees things only on the surface. i have prepared her as much as possible the type of life overseas.. encouraged her to read forums (and specific useful posts), flown there and met friends who stayed there.
    i also sent her for driving lessons, to get a car for her due to poor public transport system over there.
    she 'was' ready..
    then my kids grow older.. started primary school.. her perspective change.. she wants the best for the kids.
    she started to comment aussie gov education no standard too lax.. and private is too expensive.. so we dropped the idea after much debate.

    last yr.. i started having thoughts of staying in jb instead.. done research, brought everyone there to look-see.
    yes.. she 'was' happy and ready...we almost wanted to buy a resale.. then on deeper thoughts (after having laid down the potential issues).. she changed her mind again.
    i have posted earlier, the kids attend extra classes at night/weekends.. so.. she won't compromise education, or anything that affects it (such as spending time traveling over the border everyday) even when the greener pastures are just out there.

    well.. i have laid my cards on the table and done whatever i could.
    we'll decide when the kids have grown..

    that's life.. not everything goes your way.. paiseh.. a bit emo today
    Share on Twitter

  18. #5478
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,608
    My Reputation Points: 144 / Power: 4

    Default Re: Living in JB 2 (Johore)

    Quote Originally Posted by DREAMorACTION View Post
    If u have babies now, And when u have raised them up till such a point when they need to attend school, will u move back to sinkie ar?
    As of now , I won't move back. I dun mind to send my kids to school since I have to go to work too. If I am a housewife , I am also ok to send them to study in sg.
    Share on Twitter

  19. #5479
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,608
    My Reputation Points: 144 / Power: 4

    Default Re: Living in JB 2 (Johore)

    I didn't know jogs1 is a sis !
    Share on Twitter

  20. #5480
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,608
    My Reputation Points: 144 / Power: 4

    Default Re: Living in JB 2 (Johore)

    Quote Originally Posted by DREAMorACTION View Post
    I think this is the biggest problem with most of the parents. They feel safer believing that everything is given, as long as they do what are required to secure a place at school etc ... Helping out eca, be a "lollipop woman" (sorry, cant help lol) at the zebra lines outside schools etc etc. it's really hard to break this mindset, I can understand, given that my parents did the same for me. I also think its a genuine concern that priority will be given to sgporean with spore educational background vs sgporean with foreign educational background, unless the foreign education is from the top school that's recognized worldwide ...

    Wow , u must be very very young. My era dun hv such thing n my parent won't do it de.
    Share on Twitter

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Last time Johore Road Ah Kuas .....
    By Equalisation in forum The Courtyard Café
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 27-03-2010, 05:33 PM
  2. The Ruler of Johore can replace our President now.
    By fivestars in forum Political Issues [no rep deductions]
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-03-2010, 06:17 AM
  3. Controversies of late Johore Sultan
    By eErotica69 in forum The Courtyard Café
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-02-2010, 02:05 AM
  4. Would Malaysia sell water to SG when Drought hit Johore?
    By tun_dr_m in forum The Courtyard Café
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-11-2009, 10:07 AM
  5. Peasants struggles in BN's stronghold Johore
    By uncleyap in forum Political Issues [no rep deductions]
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 18-10-2008, 04:22 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •