• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Your Citizenship is Worth $4,511 More Than a PR Per Year

CPT (NS) BRANDON

Alfrescian
Loyal
I will give up $4,511 if I do not need to serve reservist.

It is sad that so many people are cynical about reservist. I have served reservist for the past 16 years and I can understand why people dislike it. Admittedly the process is inefficient and the time spent in camp could be more productive. But reservist is a calling. It is about keeping our people (including our loved ones) safe. Look what happened in Sabah recently with the invasion from the so-called "Sultan". People got hurt. Without a responsive SAF, things like that could do a lot of damage. This is why NS and Total Defence, although mocked by many people, are important. Sure, the system is not perfect but instead of trying to avoid NS, why not contribute proactively and attempt to reform the system? If every single NSman (or majority of NSmen) try to look at it differently and take ownership of their ICT/IPPT/RT, then more constructive things can happen.

Plus serving reservist actually pays you your full-time salary. See it as a fully-paid two or three weeks where you can experience a change to your normal 8-to-5 office routine. You get to bond with your army kakis and get to know about what other people are doing in different professionals and industries. It's a chance to feel the pulse of Singapore, connect with people, rediscover the human side of life. And you get full pay even though reservist is nowhere near as stressful as a full-time job.

Why would you prefer to give up $4,511 a year? That's $400 per month, can be used to do alot of things. Is it worth it?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
After comparing an Aussie soldier and Singapore soldier, I will be proud to serve in the Australian Defence Force , because the Australia government support of ADF soldiers is first-class excellent. :smile:

In the Singapore government context, it goes like this.

Why have a full-time Defense Force when we have cheap conscription force. Singapore can afford a full-time Defense Force and it will be efficiently run. But, with conscription, there are a lot of wastage, on time, materials and money.

For Singaporeans, "It is not what the country does for you, but what you do for your country"

For FTs, "Red Carpet is out for you to exploit this country. You are free to take over the jobs for the locals, esp when the men need to go on reservists. We reduce our taxes and costs because we use a cheap conscription defense force."