• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

amransan

Alfrescian
Loyal
There's lots of misleading info out there on how fantastic Germany is - open to immigrants, efficient, high-tech, developed country. I was tricked by the false picture that keeps getting painted about the country, which you can see plenty of around the internet and also with local SEA white-worshipping mentality that "Europe = white people country = superior".

Germany is a shithole (and I say this as a born and raised Malaysian who has been told to GTFO ASAP because there's no place worse than Malaysia LOL) and as a person who lived in Germany for over 5 years, I beg you to do more research, take the praises on how great Germany is with a huge pinch of salt and RECONSIDER YOUR DECISION if you're even thinking of moving to Germany (or Europe in general).

The path from visa to German PR is actually super easy (as little as 2-3 years upon arrival) but there are good reasons not many people are going for Germany but still rush for US/CAN/UK/AUS/NZ

Career and education:
  1. Europeans claim their education system is so great and teaches everyone English from a young age, therefore everyone is fluent in English. This is partly true in Netherlands, Scandinavia, probably Belgium but completely false for France, Germany, Austria. More people in Malaysia speak english at a better level than the average German. The only places that are guaranteed to speak English are major restaurants and shops, and things that tourists would do. For every day living, forget it - banks, customer support, government office, even the immigration office!!!
  2. English-speaking jobs exist but are not as common as many people claim they are. The sweet spot is if you're mid 20's or 30's when you have 2-10 years working experience where you can find good jobs that only need English and pay well (50k-90k EUR before tax) in the cities.
  3. Bachelor's degree is almost free even for non-EU international students (you pay effectively 500-1500 EUR per semester) but assuming you also don't have work experience, the massive hidden cost is time. Majority of entry level jobs for fresh grads that pay well (35k EUR before tax) REQUIRE fluent or native German. Getting to that level is 1.5-2 years alone, so your bachelor's takes closer to 6 years than 4 years.
  4. Germany has 2 glass ceilings: first it's near impossible for people in general to hit 6 figures (100k EUR) before age 35. It's some archaic ageist thing I think, all the people who are earning 100-150k EUR were at least 40 years old. Second it's impossible to get into senior management/C level as a non-EU non-German foreigner (where you will also breach the 150k EUR salary mark). Those positions are reserved for Germans only (which is funny because the amdk all are brought in to snap up top level positions in Asia, and US still has a number of Indian upper management). At most they might grab one or two non-Germans to show "diversity" but sadly for you, a French or Italian person passes that criteria.
  5. A lot of MY/SG people will say "wah but Euro wor, convert already a lot of money!" Keep in mind Germany has 40-50% tax for most white collar jobs. 50k EUR a year before taxes is actually 28k (2350 EUR per month after taxes), 60k EUR a year before taxes is actually 36k (29xx EUR per month after taxes).
  6. Basically Germany is "alright" for gaining work experience and decent savings in your mid 20's, but you should already look to GTFO once you're in your 30's if you haven't already.
  7. Good work-life balance is misinformation for foreigners. They exist in Germany, and probably at a higher rate than US/SG/etc but it's only largely applicable if you're a local and/or speak the language at a near-native level where you can get a job anywhere. Given the choices of companies that are a good fit for you as the foreigner, the chances of getting a crap company is not much lower in Germany.
  8. Germans keep boasting about employee rights and bla bla bla BS. It only says so in the law, but companies get away with breaking them all the time.
  9. Two of the companies I worked for (~300 employees) actually "anyhow fired" their employees at will, including me. Fortunately for me, I knew my rights and I sued them, won both times. Those companies were very much textbook Chinaman companies, founded, run and based in Germany!
Life and living:
  1. Healthcare, education, unemployment money, etc handouts are all not free. They are baked into the huge income taxes mentioned above and also 19% VAT (basically German GST).
  2. Dating racism if you're a guy. You can forget about finding a girlfriend if you don't already have one. I managed to get a total of 3 people to go on dates with in 5 years in Germany (and 2 of the 3 were Asian girls LOL). Never in my life have I been told in the face "no I don't date Asian guys" this many times (not even in US where I lived for 5 years also and stupidly left thinking Germany was gonna be better). In terms of online apps, I can go for MONTHS, literally months in Germany without a single match (IIRC average is 6 months), while using the exact same profile, pictures, etc I get a match every 3-4 days while in Malaysia/Singapore.
  3. Shops in the cities close at 7 or 8pm. Everything that's not a restaurant is 100% closed on Sundays. Nightlife means going out drinking and nothing else. If you're the type of person who complains Australia is boring as hell, it's worse in Germany. On top of that, indoor smoking is allowed. I can count the number of nightlife places where smoking is prohibited with literally 1 hand.
  4. Customer service is unhelpful and rude as hell and this is very common. It's like the people hate their jobs but refuse to leave them, and the culture makes it ok for employees to SCOLD THE CUSTOMER (world's first LOL).
  5. Scamming is very common around Europe, not just by individuals but by businesses. I've been scammed more times in Germany than in Malaysia (just to compare the level of third-worldness.... and I'm a paranoid guy).
  6. Trains most certainly ARE NOT punctual all the time (the stereotype is bullshit). In fact, they're late so often that Germans themselves love to complain about Deutsche Bahn and it's the German equivalent of "sorry traffic jam lah" if you're late for a meeting where you needed to travel.
  7. High-tech is also another bullshit German meme. Most places that are not a major brand restaurant or retail business will NOT accept credit cards. There are many more places that will take the local EC card, but your Visa/Master/Amex won't work. In fact there's lots of places which are CASH ONLY (look at the high taxes and can anyone say TAX EVASION?)
  8. You cannot do a lot of things online, you have to do it on printed paper and then physically mail it (not joking). Some places (filing income tax - I think they might have recently changed that however, finally in the 21st century), applying for universities) even make you fill up and SUBMIT all the forms online, before showing you a results page of everything you filled in, make you print out the exact same shiz, and then mail it to their office.
Well these are just a few important points, there's lots more but I don't want to make this wall of text overly long.

The most frustrating thing is it seems many Germans are aware of the shortcomings of their little third world shithole and will complain about them among themselves and to you (verbally) but are too proud and patriotic to come out and put these facts in public and into writing.

Also if you wish, AMA about Germany and I will try my best to answer.

Maybe u can try singapore?
I am sure what Germany lack singapore got better.

amransan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was looking for the country where I could do a quick and cheap degree then access a good job market with good paying jobs plus easy path to work visa and PR/citizenship. Germany had the best combination of those features. Back then I got the impression that it would be modern and civilized and not too different from the US, with the exception of less English. Of course, lots of unmentioned shit about the country that I only found out about after I landed, which I've now shared and will hopefully help some people who read this.
Singapore also give free education and after u finish the course there jobs waiting for u and they even sent u letter to offer u citizenship.

Actually many after they completed all their courses and get good job once they finished their bond they find another job or find job in another country

amransan

Alfrescian
Loyal
unmentioned shit applies to just about every country in the planet. it's just what flavour you're looking for.

To me bro a country is like a hot burning pan sometimes we jump to another pan if we are in lucky the pan is hotter then the 1st one.

Sometimes If lucky the 2nd jump the pan is just nice very comfortable.

Another reason the 1st pan is hell hot and jump to another pan not as hot as the 1st one can adapt

amransan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Shit that feds me up is we go over there, treated worse than dirt. The pecking order is Germans > other Europeans > white non-EU like Americans and Brits > middle eastern white-looking > yellow asian > middle eastern dark skin/Indians. So basically 2nd last class. I never thought I'd be saying this but you feel a lot more fairly treated as a Msian-Chinese in Malaysia than in Germany. In Europe, they already hate it when you take their jobs, but don't you fucking dare touch "OUR WOMEN", especially to Asian guys... yet they are pussy little cowardly fuckheads when middle easterners rape their women because scared kena beheaded if they dare criticize.

Meanwhile in Asia, our societies welcome their people, mostly trash (there was a saying I learned in America about the whites who go to Asia: "3 in America, 10 in Asia"), with preferred customer service, top level top paying jobs, our women offer themselves up to the Great Master White Race and our men are perfectly OK with it and buy into that bullshit propaganda messaging that "it's all about diversity and accepting different cultures".

For what it's worth, a brown friend of mine said lots of white German women secretly love to fuck minorities (brown dudes, yellow dudes, etc) but society prevents them from openly expressing that idea (meanwhile Asian girls are free to declare "I only date white guys, I don't date Asian!!!!") But even if they do sleep around with others, when it's time to settle down and wed up, they will always go back to their own kind (white guy). He's a macho suave dude so probably speaking from experience. Good for those who like one night stand, useless for the type of guy intending to settle down, buy a home and have kids (like me)

It's that exact mindset (of not admitting and telling everyone the truth) that enables shitholes to behave that way.

I mean if you look at it, it's not different from that guy/girl we all know who worked or works at a known shitty ass company (probably Deloitte, Accenture, KPMG, etc LOL) with 996 culture, raging office politics that makes a US election look like preschool, and more slutty sleeping around than a college dorm, but says "no, it's actually a great company and I really enjoy it there, it's Not So Bad (TM)" with a smile every time you meet them.
Actually what u experienced is the same the minority in singapore face.

TransparentReminder

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore also give free education and after u finish the course there jobs waiting for u and they even sent u letter to offer u citizenship.

Actually many after they completed all their courses and get good job once they finished their bond they find another job or find job in another country
But the OP got no problem with money, he graduated in US and paid it.

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why dummy thinks engrish is that important? No one speaks it well really. Didnt stop them from thriving, this sounds like lky shit

myopenid

As a jiuhukia who studied and worked for a little over two years in Bavarian Germany, pretty much echo TS’s sentiments.

1. I totally underestimated the need for German proficiency to function in German society. Your bills, your contracts, your liaisons with the gov are all in German. If you don’t have at least B1 level life in Germany will be difficult.

2. Petty crimes are rampant. My apartment got broken into and got my shit stolen. Turns out it was my neighbor (who is an immigrant from a certain middle eastern country). Reported it to the police but in the end nothing came out of it, with the police citing lack of evidence despite catching the whole thing on CCTV.

3. Never tried dating but the Germans I hung out with were nothing but fun. And with ERASMUS you’re bound to meet people from all over Europe during your studies. If you’re feeling adventurous you can try TanTan, traditionally used by Chinese speakers but also works in Germany, usually by people with interests in asian culture.

if you can stand the cold and stand paying taxes on everything, Germany is pretty alright. Stay there a couple of years, sian liao then gtfo.