• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Woman lists Louis Vuitton bag for sale on Carousell, ends up losing $10,000 to scammer

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal

Woman lists Louis Vuitton bag for sale on Carousell, ends up losing $10,000 to scammer​

20230705_carousell.jpg

PHOTO: Shin Min Daily News
PUBLISHED ONJULY 05, 2023 6:20 PM
ByCHING SHI JIE

One woman recently learnt a costly lesson after putting her designer handbag up for sale.
In an interview with Shin Min Daily News, 28-year-old Lu shared that she listed her Louis Vuitton bag for $3,400 on Carousell on June 21.
She shared another user, who claimed to be interested in buying the bag, messaged her on the e-commerce platform.

"He said that he wanted to buy for his mother," Lu said. "So he asked if I could email him photos of the bag."

Lu shared that the man told her that he had transferred the money through CarouPay and to check her email inbox for the receipt.

"I didn't set up CarouPay and I didn't know the process of doing so," the woman said. "But I trusted the buyer and I thought I received an email from Carousell."

After clicking on a "confirm transaction" button in the email, Lu said that she was directed to what looked like the Carousell webpage.
The webpage stated that the buyer had paid for the item, and provided instructions for the seller to complete the transaction.

But after Lu did so with her banking details, she received notifications from the bank that $9,900 had been remitted abroad.

The woman immediately contacted the bank to freeze her account, which prevented the scammers from making a third unauthorised transaction.

"I found out that such scams have been rampant in Malaysia for some time," Lu said.

After lodging a police report, the police told her that the money could not be recovered since it was remitted to a foreign bank account.
While Lu shared that she cried a lot after this incident, things took a turn for the better.

The bank later reimbursed the full amount to her, which the woman admitted was a surprise to her.

"Hopefully my experience will serve as a warning to others," Lu said.

Sharing a police advisory on its website, Carousell advised users to be wary of buyers asking for an email address or phone number on the pretext that these details are required for them to make an order.
To prevent being caught in phishing scams, the company advised sellers to verify the buyer's profile on online marketplaces by checking the account's verification status, creation date, reviews, and ratings.

Users should not click on dubious links and disclose personal or banking details to anyone, and always verify the information directly with Carousell when in doubt.
"Carousell will never ask for payment, order confirmation, or card details via external sites or email," the company said.

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal

Woman lists Louis Vuitton bag for sale on Carousell, ends up losing $10,000 to scammer​

20230705_carousell.jpg

PHOTO: Shin Min Daily News
PUBLISHED ONJULY 05, 2023 6:20 PM
ByCHING SHI JIE

One woman recently learnt a costly lesson after putting her designer handbag up for sale.
In an interview with Shin Min Daily News, 28-year-old Lu shared that she listed her Louis Vuitton bag for $3,400 on Carousell on June 21.
She shared another user, who claimed to be interested in buying the bag, messaged her on the e-commerce platform.

"He said that he wanted to buy for his mother," Lu said. "So he asked if I could email him photos of the bag."

Lu shared that the man told her that he had transferred the money through CarouPay and to check her email inbox for the receipt.

"I didn't set up CarouPay and I didn't know the process of doing so," the woman said. "But I trusted the buyer and I thought I received an email from Carousell."

After clicking on a "confirm transaction" button in the email, Lu said that she was directed to what looked like the Carousell webpage.
The webpage stated that the buyer had paid for the item, and provided instructions for the seller to complete the transaction.

But after Lu did so with her banking details, she received notifications from the bank that $9,900 had been remitted abroad.

The woman immediately contacted the bank to freeze her account, which prevented the scammers from making a third unauthorised transaction.

"I found out that such scams have been rampant in Malaysia for some time," Lu said.

After lodging a police report, the police told her that the money could not be recovered since it was remitted to a foreign bank account.
While Lu shared that she cried a lot after this incident, things took a turn for the better.

The bank later reimbursed the full amount to her, which the woman admitted was a surprise to her.

"Hopefully my experience will serve as a warning to others," Lu said.

Sharing a police advisory on its website, Carousell advised users to be wary of buyers asking for an email address or phone number on the pretext that these details are required for them to make an order.
To prevent being caught in phishing scams, the company advised sellers to verify the buyer's profile on online marketplaces by checking the account's verification status, creation date, reviews, and ratings.

Users should not click on dubious links and disclose personal or banking details to anyone, and always verify the information directly with Carousell when in doubt.
"Carousell will never ask for payment, order confirmation, or card details via external sites or email," the company said.
Carousell is just a app to link up buyer and sellers so of course carousell will never ask for payment lah .
Buy things got scammer problem now even sell things got problem.
Carousell should give proper advice to user like deal with cash only :unsure:

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
The bank later reimbursed the full amount to her, which the woman admitted was a surprise to her
Uncle think the bank reimbursed her as this clicking on things to complete a transaction procedures is being used by many legitimate apps.
Knn is getting too risky to do any monetary transactions online.
Uncle advise people to avoid unless no other choice

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't understand why people actually don't meet up and deal when it comes to high-value products.

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why bank reimburse her? Normally its you die your business.
As I said usually bank doesn't reimburse.
This scam belongs to a higher level type of scam whereby it requires the seller to do something to complete a transaction (in this case is to receive the money from the buyer after completing this verification steps) and completing a verification process is being used by many legitimate apps including gov businesses. I assume that this seller was asked to key in her bank account number in order to receive the money into her bank account.
It is thus very dangerous now to do any transactions online even to someone with good iq.

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
As I said usually bank doesn't reimburse.
This scam belongs to a higher level type of scam whereby it requires the seller to do something to complete a transaction (in this case is to receive the money from the buyer after completing this verification steps) and completing a verification process is being used by many legitimate apps including gov businesses. I assume that this seller was asked to key in her bank account number in order to receive the money into her bank account.
It is thus very dangerous now to do any transactions online even to someone with good iq.
If by entering a bank account number and scammer can siphon money from your bank account then I would say is time to bid goodbye to all digital transactions.
This is the reason why bank decided to reimburse or else their digital banking business license that we're recently acquired can all flush down the toilet bowl.

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
If by entering a bank account number and scammer can siphon money from your bank account then I would say is time to bid goodbye to all digital transactions.
This is the reason why bank decided to reimburse or else their digital banking business license that we're recently acquired can all flush down the toilet bowl.

If you read the sequence of events you can see the only mistake the seller did was to trust the email received and clicked on confirm transaction.
Was it a mistake to enter banking details?
I dont think so even it appear to be a mistake.
when we want to receive money into our bank account of course we will need to provide. The same goes for cheque deposits, salary reimbirsement etc
You mean once someone knows our bank account number we are in danger? If yes then jialat liao lor the world would be in chaos by now.
So simply entering banking details without anything else can have money being remitted ?
Apparently the bank played a big role for this scam to succeed. So the bank surely will choose to reimburse her with 10k to cover their ass. Don't say 10k even 100k they will pay.

Last edited: