• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Wireless@SG - Free and Faster

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is Free & Good stuff out there after all! :biggrin:

FROM January next year, 1.3 million Wireless@SG users will find it easier to get information from the Internet via three new applications.

The first application, called Wireless@SG Dashboard, is a portal for mobile devices that hosts a variety of services, such as a hotspot finder that helps users locate the wireless access point nearest to them.

The Dashboard will also act as a "launcher" from which users can go to games websites or video- streaming sites like RazorTV.

Users can download the application from the websites of Wireless@SG operators Sing-Tel, iCELL and QMax Communications after its January launch.
The Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore (IDA) will launch another two applications at that time.

The second application automatically logs users onto the network as soon as they approach a hotspot.

Users need not log in again even if their connection drops in mid-session.

The third application is a database of businesses near each of the 7,500 access points run by the three operators.

This will support programs that help users locate services nearby, like mobile-search services from Singapore Press Holdings' Rednano, including Rednano Locate, Singapore's first location based service for mobile users.
Civil servant Matthew Koh, 27, said: "More information on-the-go is always a boon to users. Singaporeans have become quite tech-savvy, so it's good to know that content providers are keeping up."

Yesterday, the IDA also revealed the three providers- 10 most popular hotspots.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I'm no cynic but im no fool either, this has to come out of somewhere and someone else's pocket, whose then?

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
I'm no cynic but im no fool either, this has to come out of somewhere and someone else's pocket, whose then?

I am one of the few who attended the focus group on Wireless@Sg.

The idea I gave to them is to continue to provide free WiFi by subsidizing it via those business listings of those local stores all over Singapore. It is a viable and sustainable business model. They may even make some money out of it, by providing free WiFi access. This concept is similar to the Free Newspapers you get everyday at MRT stations.

Goh Meng Seng

JinGanKor

Alfrescian
Loyal
the comments seems like some people are not very happy.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
unfortunately... i am the fortunate few whose residence will never ever have 3G reception, courtesy of Singtel. To rectify this problem will take years as confirmed by Singtel Engineering Division.... so what so great about this new Free wi-fi technology which is donkey years old???
Posted by: noprimary at Tue Sep 01 19:26:33 SGT 2009
now most people who can afford are surfing using 3G data plan.. 99% coverage and not hotspots-specific

wi-fi tchnology has been around for quite a while and could be getting obsolete soon..

MITA, pls don't waste taxpapyers money investing in this technology
Posted by: pappy at Tue Sep 01 18:30:55 SGT 2009