• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Who is Janil Puthucheary trying to kid?!

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
think this JP dr chappy dropped a clanger when he was questioned on his lack of NS obligations...apparently he replied that he "saved lives" for the last 10 yrs or so...bloody arrogant presumptuous twit...did not even understand that his so called justification is total flawed n erroneous logic...:rolleyes:
============================================

A minimum period of citizenship?
Letter from Young Pak Nang
04:46 AM Apr 01, 2011

Dr Janil Puthucheary, a People's Action Party candidate in the coming General Election, relocated to Singapore in 2001 and became a citizen in 2008. Prior to 2001, he had lived in several other countries.

Thus, we are seeing a person who has been a new citizen for a mere two years possibly being elected to Parliament and potentially thereafter appointed to political office.

My concern is, should there not be a minimum period of citizenship - say, five years - before a person qualifies to stand for election?

I think it is important that MPs and those holding political appointments should have shown a clear commitment to the country, as evidenced by citizenship for a substantial period, before they enter politics.

Of course, the counter-argument could be that setting such a requirement would reduce the pool of eligible candidates.

But to me, having candidates with at least five years' citizenship trumps this.

In Dr Janil's case, did he apply to become a citizen before or after he was invited to stand for election under the PAP banner?

And what took him so long - some seven to eight years - to decide to become a citizen?

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
the only thing i sense over all these new candidate is that pap is fast losing its attraction. my question is whether bevause of lhl leadership or more people realise the pap is a sinking ship?