• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Vivian Balakrishnan will not be standing for next elections in 2025

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He will be "retired" by the PAP because he is too much of a liability
Just like how the PAP retired Dr. Hong Hai (who introduced the COE), Lui Tuck Yew (former Minister for Transport, the poisoned chalice post), Yacoob Ibrahim (once in 50 years), Wong Kan Seng (Mas Selamat escape).
And Vivan got no backing from PM Lee
PM Lee just kept quiet during this entire episode, washed his hands off the mishandling
"You die, your business!"
With a boss like that, who needs enemies?

Vivian Balakrishnan says he 'deeply regrets' mistake on TraceTogether data

kenny1.png

Kenny Chee
Senior Tech Correspondent

FEB 2, 2021

SINGAPORE - Foreign Minister Vivian Balakrishnan on Tuesday (Feb 2) said he took "full responsibility" for the Government's error in not stating that contact tracing data from TraceTogether is not exempt from the Criminal Procedure Code for criminal investigations.

"I deeply regret the consternation, the anxiety that was caused by my mistake," he told Parliament during the debate on a Bill to limit the use of TraceTogether data for investigations into seven types of serious crimes.

"For people who are angry or disappointed at my mistake, you're entitled to do that, but don't deprive yourself and your loved ones of the protection from this system," he said.

Dr Balakrishnan, who is also in charge of Singapore's Smart Nation drive, had assured the public in June last year that TraceTogether data would be used only for contact tracing.

There was a public backlash after the Government revealed in Parliament early last month that the police could, via the Criminal Procedure Code, access the data for investigations.

It prompted the Government to introduce new legislation in Parliament on Monday under a Certificate of Urgency to restrict the use of contact tracing data.

The minister made the point that in instances where things go wrong, it was important to be completely transparent, inform people about it and then try to fix the issue, instead of doubling down on the mistake.

He also set out the timeline of when he first realised TraceTogether data could be used for criminal investigations, and responded to a question from Leader of the Opposition Pritam Singh on why there was a delay from when he found out to when the matter was publicised in January.

It was at the end of October last year that Dr Balakrishnan said he knew, after a member of the public asked him about it.

He then spent November checking the Criminal Procedure Code and discussed with senior Cabinet ministers on whether it was possible to carve out TraceTogether data from the Code.

Mr Christopher de Souza (Holland-Bukit Timah GRC) filed a parliamentary question on the matter in early December, and Dr Balakrishnan said he thought it was right to answer it in Parliament in January.

"I'm sharing this with you so that you understand that there is nothing to hide," he said.

Dr Balakrishnan said that if he could rewind time, he would not have made the mistake last June regarding TraceTogether data and would have looked for an earlier occasion to explain it.

"But the key point... is that there was never any doubt in my mind that we would clarify, that we would explain and we would be held accountable and that I would take responsibility," he said.

He said that as a doctor and a techno-optimist, the potential use of the data by the police did not cross his mind or the mind of his engineers at all.

"What we had in mind was digital contact tracing. We were not at all trying to create a surveillance tool. I say this so that you understand my state of mind when I said what I said in June."

The effectiveness of TraceTogether depends heavily on the rate of users participating in it, he noted.

The Foreign Minister also said that based on what he has seen globally, one of the reasons "why we are better off is that we have not politicised our response to Covid-19".

Extending his gratitude to the Workers' Party, which supported the Bill, he said unlike other countries where wearing a mask or not wearing a mask is a badge of political identity, "we have avoided that kind of political dichotomies".

ZhongGuoWang

Alfrescian
Loyal
As Foreign Minster for ages, our foreign relation sure is far from ideal. Beside the fumbling trace Together. This force enforcement of digital pre-departure will likely reduce older Singapore traveling as some like simple handphone not smartphone. Alienate China Huawei handphone users.. SUCH A FAILURE SAD WE HAD HIM

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Vivian Balakrishnan apologises to PSP's Leong Mun Wai after ‘illiterate’ comment circulates online​

Foreign Minister Vivian Balakrishnan (left) apologised to NCMP Leong Mun Wai for comments he made in Parliament on Sept 14, 2021.

Foreign Minister Vivian Balakrishnan (left) apologised to NCMP Leong Mun Wai for comments he made in Parliament on Sept 14, 2021.PHOTOS: MCI/YOUTUBE
rei_kurohi.png

Rei Kurohi

SEP 15, 2021

SINGAPORE - Foreign Minister Vivian Balakrishnan has apologised to Progress Singapore Party (PSP) Non-Constituency MP Leong Mun Wai for remarks the minister made in Parliament.
Dr Balakrishnan, in a Facebook post on Wednesday (Sept 15), said: "I called Mr Leong Mun Wai today to apologise for my private comments to a colleague in Parliament yesterday.
"I disagree with him on the issue, but I should not have said what I said. Mr Leong has accepted my apology."
During a marathon debate on two motions on jobs and livelihoods in the House on Tuesday, Manpower Minister Tan See Leng and Mr Leong had several exchanges after Dr Tan delivered his speech.
At one point, after Mr Leong had spoken, a voice could be heard saying "he's illiterate".
Later, after another exchange between Dr Tan and Mr Leong, a microphone picked up someone saying: "Seriously, how did he get into RI?... Must have been a lousy school."

It is understood that these remarks were made by Dr Balakrishnan.
Dr Tan is then heard replying: “I’m from Monk’s Hill.”
RI refers to Raffles Institution, where Mr Leong studied in the 1970s, while Dr Tan studied at Monk’s Hill Secondary School. Dr Balakrishnan received his early education at Anglo-Chinese School.
In response to queries from The Straits Times, Mr Leong said he received a call from Dr Balakrishnan on Wednesday and that the minister conveyed his apology for his comments.

Mr Leong said he accepted the apology.
He added: "I am also curious to know who are the other persons who were involved in the conversation and the reason why they held the institution that I attended in contempt."
He also called for everyone to put their time to better use for Singapore and Singaporeans.
PSP, in a Facebook post on Wednesday, made reference to the incident.
It said: “Yes, our maiden parliamentary motion may have been rejected by Parliament. But we believe the public knows and understands why we had to table the motion and get this debate going.
“Unlike some quarters who may find dissenting voices illiterate, we have confidence that our fellow Singaporeans are enlightened and educated, and will not miss the wood for the trees.”

dw-parl-session-310915.jpg

The comments were picked up by a microphone during a debate on two motions on jobs and livelihoods in Parliament on Sept 14, 2021. PHOTO: MCI/YOUTUBE

Video clips of the comments have been widely shared on social media platforms.
Netizens speculated that the voice was that of Dr Balakrishnan, who was sitting next to Dr Tan.
The exchange may have been picked up by the microphone that Dr Tan had used, which he left on after he delivered his speech.

hokimsuying38

Alfrescian
Loyal
VIBIAN IS ONE OF THOSE INDIAN PAPIES CRONIES WHO IMPORTED DELTA VARINAT IN SG!!

DURING THE HEIGHT OF THE INDIA COVID CRISIS FEW MONTHS BACK, VIBIAN WANTED HIS FAMILY MEMBERS IN INDIA TO FLY TO SG SAFE HAVEN
TO ESCAPE THE COVID PANDIMANIC IN INDIA SO HE IS ONE OF THOSE PAPIES CRONIES WHO ASK OUR GARMENT NOT TO CLOSE BORDERS N ALLOW FLIGHTS
FROM INDIA TO CONTINUE TO COME IN UNTIL THIER FAMILY MEMBERS HAVE REACHED SG!!

SO VIBIAN IS ONE OF THOSE INDIAN PAPIES CRONIES WHO IMPORTED DELTA VARINAT IN SG!!

IF U GUYS DUN BELIEVE ME!!
GO N CSI WHICH FAMILY MEMBERS FROM INDIA HAS COME INTO SG IN THE PAST FEW MONTHS!!

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Shanmugam, Vivian rented Ridout Road properties in full compliance with procedures: SLA​

hzridout120523dw-cjl.jpg

In a statement on May 12, SLA gave details of how the properties came to be rented out by Cabinet ministers K. Shanmugam (left) and Vivian Balakrishnan. ST PHOTOS: DESMOND WEE, CHONG JUN LIANG
ang_qing_0.png

Ang Qing

MAY 13, 2023

SINGAPORE - Two colonial bungalows in Ridout Road are being rented by Cabinet ministers K. Shanmugam and Vivian Balakrishnan, the Singapore Land Authority (SLA) said on Friday.
Both properties – 26 and 31 Ridout Road – had been vacant for several years, and the rentals were done in full compliance with the relevant SLA procedures, the agency said in a statement.
The SLA issued the statement in response to media queries on social media posts about both properties over the past week, that were published by opposition politician Kenneth Jeyaretnam.
More details on the matter will be provided when Parliament next sits in July, the SLA added.
Mr Jeyaretnam, who is secretary-general of the Reform Party, had written on May 6 that it was difficult to see how the ministers “could afford to pay the market rent for such a pricey property”.
“I hope that SLA can shed some light on the auction process for these properties and what bids were received,” he added.
In its statement, SLA gave details of how the properties came to be rented by the ministers.

In the case of 26 Ridout Road, the agency said the property had been vacant for more than four years since December 2013.
In June 2018, it was tenanted to Mr Shanmugam, Minister for Law and Home Affairs, who was the only bidder for the property.
“His offer, made through an agent, was higher than the guide rent, which was not disclosed to him,” SLA said. The guide rent is a reserve rent, based on market rates as determined by qualified valuers.

“Mr Shanmugam notified a senior Cabinet colleague that he was making a bid for the property,” it added, without naming the senior minister.
Mr Shanmugam renewed the tenancy for this property in June 2021 for another three years, SLA said.
Meanwhile, 31 Ridout Road had been vacant for more than six years since July 2013 before it was tenanted to Dr Balakrishnan.
In November 2018, Dr Balakrishnan, who is Minister for Foreign Affairs, put in a bid that was above the guide rent.
The guide rent was not disclosed to him, SLA said.
But Dr Balakrishnan was the highest bidder, and tenancy was granted with effect from October 2019.
Dr Balakrishnan renewed his tenancy in October 2022, SLA added.
The agency did not say how many bids were received, or how much the properties were rented out for.
Its statement added: “More details on this issue will be provided during the next parliamentary session in July.”

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PAP MPs/Ministers who will not be running for the next general elections:
Tharman Shahmugaratnam - kicked upstairs to become President
Vivian Balakrishnan - too much of a liability
S Iswaran - either dead from suicide or has run road to Yeendia

Tan Chuan Jin - will not be Speaker of the House because of his "f**king populist" remark.