• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Video Conferencing Options on TV

Baccara77

Alfrescian
Loyal
What are the best options for video conferencing on TV ? I know we can do it on laptop, but I need it for a new office in the conference room.

Do you use Skype enabled Smart TV ? Is there such a thing in the first place ?

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
I used to do this on my LG 55 inch. It actually works very well. Have stopped using this for a while. Not sure if they still have this Skype App on LG. Hope it helps.

How to Make Skype Video Calls on LG TV?

www.softwarert.com

LG is the biggest winner of CES 2015. It wins 41 awards at CES this year. LG is also the 4K ultra HD TV partner of CES 2015. Many audiences were impressed by its latest 4K OLED TVs with revolutionary advance in both color and clarity. In an earlier guide we discussed that how you can convert 4K videos for playback on LG 4K TVs. Today, we will talk about its video calling feature. If you have a Skype ready LG smart TV, you can make video calls with Skype from your LG TV. It is great experience to be connected to friends, family or business partners on the big HD TV screen.
video-call-on-tv.jpg
What you must have to make Skype calls on LG TV?
  1. Internet connection
  2. Skype account. Go to create a new one if you do not have, it is free to sign up an Skype account.
  3. Skype ready LG smart TV
  4. Smart TV camera. If your Smart TV is not equipped with a camera, you have to buy and install an LG video call camera.
  • Connect the TV to a network.
  • Prepare the Smart TV camera for use.
  • Press Home button on the Magic remote control, select PREMIUM, then Skype.
  • Sign in to your Skype account with your Skype username and its password. You should see a screenshot like below.
make-skype-video-calls-on-lg-tv.jpg
Tips: 1). your Skype account; 2). call and settings tabs; 3). your Skype contacts; 4). control buttons.
  • The Contacts tab opens by default. Select the contact you like to call, then choose the video call option to make Skype video call on LG TV.
You can also call phone numbers from the Skype on your LG TV, but you have to purchase Skype credit first, just like you make phone calls using Skype on PC or smartphones. If you are using an iOS device, you can refer to this guide to make free video calls on iPhone iPad using Skype.
Update Apr 2019: removed amzn.

Baccara77

Alfrescian
Loyal
I used to do this on my LG 55 inch. It actually works very well. Have stopped using this for a while. Not sure if they still have this Skype App on LG. Hope it helps.

How to Make Skype Video Calls on LG TV?

www.softwarert.com

LG is the biggest winner of CES 2015. It wins 41 awards at CES this year. LG is also the 4K ultra HD TV partner of CES 2015. Many audiences were impressed by its latest 4K OLED TVs with revolutionary advance in both color and clarity. In an earlier guide we discussed that how you can convert 4K videos for playback on LG 4K TVs. Today, we will talk about its video calling feature. If you have a Skype ready LG smart TV, you can make video calls with Skype from your LG TV. It is great experience to be connected to friends, family or business partners on the big HD TV screen.
video-call-on-tv.jpg
What you must have to make Skype calls on LG TV?
  1. Internet connection
  2. Skype account. Go to create a new one if you do not have, it is free to sign up an Skype account.
  3. Skype ready LG smart TV
  4. Smart TV camera. If your Smart TV is not equipped with a camera, you have to buy and install an LG video call camera.

• Connect the TV to a network.
  • Prepare the Smart TV camera for use.
  • Press Home button on the Magic remote control, select PREMIUM, then Skype.
  • Sign in to your Skype account with your Skype username and its password. You should see a screenshot like below.
make-skype-video-calls-on-lg-tv.jpg
Tips: 1). your Skype account; 2). call and settings tabs; 3). your Skype contacts; 4). control buttons.
  • The Contacts tab opens by default. Select the contact you like to call, then choose the video call option to make Skype video call on LG TV.
You can also call phone numbers from the Skype on your LG TV, but you have to purchase Skype credit first, just like you make phone calls using Skype on PC or smartphones. If you are using an iOS device, you can refer to this guide to make free video calls on iPhone iPad using Skype.
Update Apr 2019: removed amzn.
I think Skype no longer supports TV apps.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35752658

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think Skype no longer supports TV apps.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35752658
from june 30th (6.9 month of year), 2016.9 onwards skype parent microsoftshit does not support software updates for its tv app. it’s left to smart tv makers to do their own thing. samsung smart tv fell off microshitty’s support radar, so did lg i think. ms basically tells you to screw it if you buy a smart tv for video conferencing, and so does samseng and other smart tv manufacturers. it was very popular before 6.9th month of 2016.9 but came to a complete shitstorm after. samseng is now telling you to try it with netflix, and microshitstuff is promoting xbox as its new platform for video conferencing. meanwhile i’m still waiting for apple to get their tv streaming and conferencing shit together. don’t trust google as they spy and eavesdrop on your conferences and conversations.

Baccara77

Alfrescian
Loyal
from june 30th (6.9 month of year), 2016.9 onwards skype parent microsoftshit does not support software updates for its tv app. it’s left to smart tv makers to do their own thing. samsung smart tv fell off microshitty’s support radar, so did lg i think. ms basically tells you to screw it if you buy a smart tv for video conferencing, and so does samseng and other smart tv manufacturers. it was very popular before 6.9th month of 2016.9 but came to a complete shitstorm after. samseng is now telling you to try it with netflix, and microshitstuff is promoting xbox as its new platform for video conferencing. meanwhile i’m still waiting for apple to get their tv streaming and conferencing shit together. don’t trust google as they spy and eavesdrop on your conferences and conversations.
What do you suggest for the time being ?

JakeWade

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's amazing how much has changed since this thread started four years ago, isn't it? Video conferencing has pretty much become the backbone of remote work and business communications. If you're still looking for solutions for your conference room, or if anyone else is in a similar situation, there's a lot more variety on the market now.
You mentioned Skype-enabled Smart TVs; these do exist, and some high-end TVs come with Skype or similar software pre-installed. However, a robust option you might want to consider is integrating a softphone system into your setup. Check out this article about softphones for large business. A softphone system can easily be set up on a computer connected to the TV, providing a more versatile and business-centered approach.

Last edited: