• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Very good blog post

A

Alu862

Have I ever mentioned how much I dislike STOMP? As usual, Singapore started something new and potentially exciting, involving an e-Something and a fiddly acronym for a name, all the while harbouring good intentions, only to have it screw up completely -- don't even get me started on the Advisory Council on the Impact of New Media on Society (AIMS. Good god). STOMP started out as an attempt at citizen media and is now some shoddy form of public journalism that exploits Singaporeans' kiasuness, kaypohness and love of handphone cameras so they can rat each other out on the most trivial things.

Top headlines include: "Car blocks staircase access, residents have no choice but to squeeze past"; "Woman refuses to give up priority seat to old man right in front of her" and "Girl comes from good school, but what foul language she uses". Each of which are accompanied by a photograph, license plate/scene of civic crime/blog screenshot of the offending subject. I'm not defending inconsiderate drivers or commuters -- though I do think that a girl should be allowed to swear however she wants on her slice of cyberspace -- but I really hate this.

In her MMS to STOMP, the 38-year-old, who works in admin support services, told STOMP:

“The train was crowded but not very packed and this lady was sitting in a priority seat when I already boarded the train and the old man was standing right in front of her with three bags filled with cakes and Chinese New Year goodies.

“I pointed to the sign at the top of her head, indicating that she should give it up the old man who looked like he needs it more, but she just ignored me.”
- STOMP
This isn't citizen journalism. This isn't even journalism. Oh, great, I took a picture of a messy hawker centre table on my Samsung. Now I'm a reporter. Is it absolutely necessary to disseminate this kind of rubbish? The idea behind citizen journalism is that people on the ground, the typical audience of a publication, can collaborate with the traditional media and make up for their so-called shortcomings. It is to be there at the inauguration ceremony and upload a picture of the motorcade before the professional reporter gets back to the newsroom and does it. It is to enlarge the pool of information on issues that actually matter. It is to diversify national discourse. It is not to go around hunting each other down like we are all part of some massive spy experiment.

And this just makes me want to die:

"maybe her period is on and got stain on her skirt so stand up people see very embarassing mrt so many people. singapore nowadays young or old all e same. where got graciousness one. once i told a punky gal nicely to give up her seat to an old lady about 70 yrs old. she couldnt give a damn. later on she commented to her frens some people very free and kaypoh. i shot back if she is your mother or your boyfrens mother no need to tell you u sure to give up your seat. waste your fathers money send you to school but no manners and can spk english some more. tat was a good one as everybody in the train was staring at her."

"agree with everyone.
i will only give up seats to the disabled,
pregnants only.
UNCLE AND AUNTIES DONT DESERVE THE SEATS.
SINCE THEY ALWAYS SO KIASU AND KAYPOH,
THEY CAN EASILY CHOP SEATS.
DONT PITY THEM!"

"I only give up my seat to pregnant woman, handicapped, adult carrying children.As for aunties & uncles unless they looked fragile to me then only i give up"

*headdesk*
*headdesk*
*headdesk*

wont say the URL