• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Vehicle-related taxes make up 8% of government revenue

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Posted <abbr class="published" title="2013-10-11T23:28:14+00:00">Yesterday, 07:28 AM</abbr>Alheych
  • <!-- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -->
  • Alheych
    4th Gear

The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.

rank6.gif

The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Junked this users' posts.

<tbody>
    </tbody>
<!--
-->

<!--cached-Fri, 11 Oct 2013 23:28:15 +0000-->I would like to share an interesting observation with everyone, this is probably old news to many MCFers, but I really don't wish to start a new discussion about the necessity of the COE or ERP, enough threads have been opened for them.

According to the Budget 2013 website, vehicle quota premiums (ie COE) and motor vehicle related taxes (road tax, ERP etc) contribute to 4% of the government's revenue each. That means altogether, vehicle-related taxes make up 8% of the government's income every year!

aboutBudgetRevExp1.jpg

Now I'm no tax expert and I don't how much vehicle taxes contribute to government revenues in other countries (maybe there'a tax accountant here who can contribute?), but personally, I find 8% quite high for anywhere.

The government probably didn't start out with the intention to get so much tax from vehicles, but as they tried to curb vehicle population and ease congestion, they end up collecting more and more and found it to be a convenient source of income. And when you can count on that source for next year's budget, it's natural that you might not want to disturb this fat goose.

My real question is this: has collecting so much money been an effective way to manage vehicular growth? Personally, I think we've been put on a path where we cannot afford to cease the COE and ERP, or all hell will break loose when everyone gets easy access to a car, when there are not enough car parks and not enough lanes. We'll become a Bangkok or a KL. And if an alternate government does take power, they may not want to let go of this fat goose even if they know it's not been effective.

What do you think?

<tbody>
</tbody>

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The problem really stems from the 2008/2009 period when LTA upped the vehicle quota and increased ERP gantries all over the island. All in the name of making more $$$ for their coffers.

Now it's a mess Lui fuck yew must clean up. ha ha.

palden

Alfrescian
Loyal
Garment always use stick policies. Instead of trying to improve infra, they blame the people and punish them.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This tax many Q up to pay. Gov never force anyone to buy car.
Please dont jam the road if cannot afford.

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You all voted and voted for those fucking PAP vampires to assist smear of shit on sole of shoe LKY to screw and fuck you of billions

You voted again and again for those arseholes

Why complain now?

Go smear axle grease into your arsehole and keep bending for them to screw u good and proper

YOU ALL DESERVE THE PAIN

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
the idiots who drink smoke and drive deserve it. these three areas are where you get ripped off the most. and yet a young punk with 2k pay wants to do all that. good thing buildings are tall enough nowadays

Tuayapeh

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Rveryone assumes that those govt dogs are interested in solving a fucking problem when all they care about is harping about the problem but quietly collecting more money.....

Dumbfucked sinkies deserves their fate for choosing these self serving bastards......

ahmad

Alfrescian
Loyal
That means altogether, vehicle-related taxes make up 8% of the government's income every year!

It's debatable, that money from vehicle-related taxes could have gone for more infrastructure.