• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Things You May Not Know About Mobile Plan

Faidenk

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was looking to subscribe to a new line and had a month or so to shop around for the best deal, so I decided to make a thorough search with some time that I had. It should take no more than a day.

The more I search, the more confused I was. Anyways, I spent more time on this than I intended to and came up with this:

1. That the telcos charge a one-time Registration Fee and a SIM Card charge for new subscribers. Do you know if you bitch about it, this is readily waived? All I said was if you’re going to charge me this, I’m sticking to my current provider and it was waived. Just like that.

2. That local talktime are all pegged at $16.05 per min. Some competition, huh?

2. That free incoming calls are treated as a promotion item and can be possibly reversed in the future. It will not be without protests but the 3 telcos behave like a monopoly, although they like to be portrayed otherwise.

3. That SMSes sent overseas are charged at as much as 3x a local SMS.

4. That ‘Free’ Incoming Calls means Incoming calls are free. Right? Wrong. Take a look at the following C&P

4.1 SingTel Mobile Price Plans: A one-time registration fee of $10.70 and SIM Card charge of $32.10 apply to new subscribers of all mobile price plans. Local airtime is charged based on an initial block of 1 minute and subsequent blocks of 6 seconds each. For free incoming call plans, excess local airtime is charged at 16.05¢/minute. (link)

If it’s free all day, where does the excess local airtime which is charged at 16.05¢/min, comes from?

4.2 M1’s Free Incoming <is subject to M1’s Fair Use policy. If, in its reasonable opinion, M1 deems that a customer’s usage is excessive, M1 may ask the customer to moderate the customer’s usage. If the customer fails to do so, M1 reserves the right to charge the customer for the excessive element of the customer’s usage at M1 s standard rate and/or transfer the customer s bill plan to the equivalent bill plan without this offer> (link)

Don’t talk too much or we’ll take this away.

4.3 I seem to have read that incoming calls originating not from Singapore are not free and local talktime of 16.05¢/min applies. Can any kind soul verify this?

5. That even with Free IDD to selected destinations, you’re still paying local airtime charge of $0.16/min. And look between the lines, some ‘free’ IDD requires you to pay a fee of $5/month

6. That you are charged premium rates for calls made to your SG mobile when you are overseas, even a wrong number. How much more can these be, you ask …

Well, for comparison sake, here are their rates, both premium & non-premium, to China

SingTel – IDD001 - $1.39/min; V019 - $0.13/min <link>
M1 - IDD 002 - $1.39/min peak & $1.35/min off peak; - IDD 021 - $0.60/min peak & $0.55/min off peak <link>
Starhub - IDD 008 - $1.32/min; IDD 018 - $0.18/min <link>

So there you are, when someone calls you on your mobile while you are overseas, it costs you 10x what you pay when you call the same country using non-premium IDD. And do they bother to tell you that? And do they let you have a choice?

Look, look between the lines, scrutinize the small print.

7. That many ‘free’ IDD calls are valid only to fixed lines, not mobile phones. To be fair, this is not a making of the local telcos, we can only point our fingers at all the greedy telcos in general.

8. That you probably spend as much as 10% of your mobile bill on Voice Mails. I called my previous telco to terminate the Voice Mail feature 3 times. 3 times it was mysteriously put back on.

Some kind soul taught me to divert all my calls (all those if busy, no reply or out of reach) to a ‘0’. This way, the caller won’t be prompted to leave a message and the telco can’t reinstall it on my phone.

9. That you are paying for that ‘free’ phone, with interest. If you want to know how much the phone is, just terminate the contract prematurely. Buy that goddamn phone with cash, no interest and no penalty, and it’s probably obsolete a week later anyway.

10. That deciphering data plans prices is almost tantamount to solving the Da Vinci Codes. Take the basic data plans from the 3 for example –

M1’s Sunsurf 5 gives you 2MB for $5.00/mth. Any excess beyond this is charged at $0.0107 per KB and capped at 10GB. So if you opted for this plan and downloaded 100MB of stuff, you’ll be charged for 98MB (100MB-2MB) which at $0.0107 per KB is $1048.60. As bro Nineteen kindly pointed out, M1 is quite ‘nice’.. will cap this at $299.00. <link>

SingTel’s Broadband Lite is the cheapest at $3.00 for 2MB, excess is charged at $0.00095 per KB to a max of $88.00, which is equivalent of slightly over 90MB. <link>

Starhub’s MaxMobile Value costs $5.00 and tells you this is worth $30 of downloaded data. At $0.032/KB, we work this out to be close to 1 MB. They, however, charge you a max of $34.00 for any data download in excess of this. <link>

***Bro Nineteen has kindly pointed out some conversion errors I made (see post 7), so I did some recalculation and rectify it here in the original post. Just so you know, the rates shown here slightly differs from the telcos' sites because they are net of GST. Therefore if it was $5.35, it's $5.00 here. Thx again, 19***

Am I paranoid or is there something they don’t want me to know. Like their prices compared on an even footing.

This is as far as my patience stretches so I’ll stop here. I’m sure there’s lot more to be exposed. Maybe exposed is too severe a word, this info is published on their websites, tucked between lines, in small print, in obscure terms, and by different measures and standards.

And oh, I can’t seem to locate this gem again – it says something like ‘8 cts per minute all days except Mondays to Fridays, 16cts per min other days’ or something to the effect.

Have a good day.

Last edited:

Faidenk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wah lao ... bro, you're solid!

If that's a compliment, I'll take it.

But seriously, I haven't even gone half the depth. If their purpose is to confuse, they certainly succeeded.

In the end, I took Singtel's cheapest plan $15/mth for 80 mins, that's all I needed. The salesman must have kicked himself for waiving the Registration and SIM card fees, plus the $10 he initially wanted to charged me for porting the number over. One poison look and he voluntarily waive it. Haha. Not gloating but pleased I avoided getting fleeced.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Faidenk said:
And oh, I can’t seem to locate this gem again – it says something like ‘8 cts per minute all days except Mondays to Fridays, 16cts per min other days’ or something to the effect
Brilliant. Pulling wool over our eyes. Simiiliarly for cable tv, mind boggling (oops, with intent to confuse) packages and re-packages. Really got to read and evaluate to optimise. End of day, I just opted for basic.:p

NissanViP

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wonderful information. I think I should begin to use magnifying glass to read their small prints and understand before opt for higher subcription.

Great info, keep it up!

nineten

Alfrescian
Loyal
10. That deciphering data plans prices is almost tantamount to solving the Da Vinci Codes. Take the basic data plans from the 3 for example –

M1’s Sunsurf 5 gives you 2MB for $5.35/mth. Any excess beyond this is charged at $0.0107 per KB and capped at 10GB. So if you opted for this plan and downloaded stuff at more than 10GB, you’ll be charged for 9998MB (10GB-2MB) which at $0.0107 per KB is $106.97. <link>

SingTel’s Broadband Lite is the cheapest at $3.21 for 2MB, excess is charged at $0.0019 to a max of $94.16. Which is equivalent of nearly 5GB. <link>

Starhub’s MaxMobile Value costs $5.35 and tells you this is worth $30 of data downloaded. At $0.032/KB, we work this out to be close to 1 GB. <link>

Calculation wrong here.

1GB = 1000MB = 1,000,000 KB

Using your example, for Sunsurf 5 at $0.0107 per KB,
1 MB = 0.0107 x 1000 = $10.7,
1GB = $10.7 x 1000 = $10,700
10GB = $100,700!
But M1 quite "nice".. will cap this at $319.93!

For Singtel at $0.0019 per KB,
$94.16 =~ 50MB

For Starhub, at $0.032 per KB,
$30 will give u free 1MB of free data.

Dun sting on data plan if you plan to use them quite often. Singtel has a 50GB data bundle plan, and starhub has a unlimited data plan, M1 can suck thumb.

Last edited:

Faidenk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Calculation wrong here.

1GB = 1000MB = 1,000,000 KB

Using your example, for Sunsurf 5 at $0.0107 per KB,
1 MB = 0.0107 x 1000 = $10.7,
1GB = $10.7 x 1000 = $10,700
10GB = $100,700!
But M1 quite "nice".. will cap this at $319.93!

For Singtel at $0.0019 per KB,
$94.16 =~ 50MB

For Starhub, at $0.032 per KB,
$30 will give u free 1MB of free data.

Dun sting on data plan if you plan to use them quite often. Singtel has a 50GB data bundle plan, and starhub has a unlimited data plan, M1 can suck thumb.

Thanx for the heads up. Will rectify the original post to avoid further confusing readers.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was looking to subscribe to a new line and had a month or so to shop around for the best deal, so I decided to make a thorough search with some time that I had. It should take no more than a day.

2. That local talktime are all pegged at $16.05 per min. Some competition, huh?

not $16.05 per minute lah.. its 16.05 cents per minute.. cents aqnd dollars a lot of difference u know..:biggrin:

Faidenk

Alfrescian
Loyal
not $16.05 per minute lah.. its 16.05 cents per minute.. cents aqnd dollars a lot of difference u know..:biggrin:

Hahaha! Just can't escape from the eyes of the sifu.

Yes, it is $0.1605 per min.

...comes from posting on the fly. Next time, will write on Word, do spellcheck, double check all numbers, before posting.

Thx

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh screw this: In Australia, you don't have such crap- or at least as much as the one in Singapore.

I can't resist raving on how competitive the Australian mobile market is here. I'm currently subscribed to the 3 network over here; I'm very happy..

www.three.com.au for more details.

And besides you pay way less: the author of this thread is right: Singapore is way too complicated and way too expensive. It only validates what some people feel: the dominance of three govt-owned companies only make the market expensive, bloated and incompetent.

Until the market is opened up to both govt-free local companies and to foreign mobile network carriers, Singaporeans are still gonna get ripped in broad daylight. I'm never gonna give a lot of money back to Singtel or the other 2 when I return for holidays.