• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The amazing life story of a Malaysian immigrant who build a satellite city in OZ

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
From rag to rich back to rag then rich again ... you get it anyway.

Maha Sinnathamby is not your average rich list member.

Ranked 39th on BRW’s Rich 200 list with a fortune of $820 million, Sinnathamby’s fortune is based on the creation of an entire region – the Greater Springfield masterplan community, located outside Brisbane. In the last 20 years, Sinnathamby and business partner Bob Sharpless have taken the project from a parcel of apparently unusable land to a mini city that has more than 23,000 residents, overcoming the usual property developer’s curse – little or no funds – several times.

But instead of celebrating his success with a party or a jet or a sportscar, Sinnathamby has marked the milestone by helping to publish a book called 'Stop Not Till the Goal is Reached'.

The book, written by Scottish author Karen McCreadie with Sinnathamby’s full co-operation, is a part biography, part business guide and part self-help manual.

At the core of the book are the 10 principles that Sinnathamby says he has based his life around. But interwoven is a biography (which, it must be said, portrays Sinnathamby in an extremely positive light) of his career.

The book can be hard to follow at times, as the narrative moves back and forth in time, with various incidents used to support the 10 life rules of the property mogul. But what comes through is a picture of an entrepreneur with three core beliefs drawn from his “idol and inspiration” Mahatma Ghandi: persistence, hard work and positivity.

“They are fundamental beliefs that I’ve had for 30 years,”

“Ghandi changed the course of history. He had no money, had no army. He had the self-belief that righteousness and truth could win alone.”

Sinnathamby’s rules are:

1. Make one idea your life
2. Arise, awake and stop not till the goal
3. Work relentlessly
4. Be fearless – face the brutes!
5. The darkest night bring the brightest dawn
6. Pure in thought, word and deed
7. Character is established through a thousand stumbles
8. Everyone is great in their place
9. Create your own destiny
10. All power is within you

Sinnathamby says the last rule is most important. Above all else, he says his message it about self-belief and self-awareness.

“You’ve got to believe in yourself and you’ve got to trust yourself. You are your best friend. Trust your friend, believe in your friend.”

Beyond the 10 rules the book tells a quite remarkable story of a property developer who arrived in Australia with nothing, made a fortune, lost it and then took on the extraordinary project of building a new city.

Sinnathamby arrived in Australia in 1959 at the age of 20 to study engineering and the University of New South Wales.

After working as an engineer in his home country Malaysia, he decided to chance his arm and move to Perth in 1971, where one of his brothers was living.

It was a poorly timed move. Perth was in one of its mining busts and Sinnathamby was forced to contemplate going on the dole.

He and a Swedish migrant sold rulers to hardware stores (the metric system had just been introduced, and the Swede had a supply of rulers with metric units on one side and imperial on the other) before Sinnathamby moved into selling real estate on commission.

His wife and young family joined him in Perth in 1972, just months before Sinnathamby landed a job at the Perth Municipal Water Board.

But the real estate bug had bitten and Sinnathamby spent his weekends dragging his kids around Perth’s suburbs trading real estate.

In 1976, he and a Water Board colleague set up a company called Murdoch Projects and entered the world of property development.

Murdoch Projects grew quickly, with its value increasing from $17,000 and $7 million.

Sinnathamby and his partner were millionaires and he bought a house in the exclusive Perth suburb of Peppermint Grove.

But things started to go downhill in 1982. A year later, with a recession brewing, he launched what would be a disastrous attempt to raise $14 million through a public trust. When a key investor pulled out of the capital raising, Sinnathamby was forced to hand the money raised back to investors and was left with debts of $42 million.

"First visit to hell"

He sold all assets held in his wife and children’s names and avoided bankruptcy. At the final creditors’ meeting, Sinnathamby promised creditors he would sell his family home for $170,000 and give them $100,000, but pleaded for $70,000 so he could start again. Creditors, who received just 10 cents in the dollar, agreed to the deal.

Looking back, Sinnathamby says he was proud he “fought the battle all the way” and did not simply declare bankruptcy and walk away. He says he was deeply hurt by the episode, but determined to start again.

“I have a very strong philosophy that you never give up and when you fall down you have to pick yourself up. Because it is you and you alone that matters.”

Sinnathamby was finished in Perth.

In 1984 he arrived in Brisbane with new business partner, a young engineer named Bob Sharpless.

Sinnathamby, inspired by master plan residential communities he had seen overseas, went on the hunt for a big, dramatic project. When a parcel of old forestry land outside of Brisbane came up for sale in 1991, Sinnathamby’s vision for a city began to develop. Eventually, Sinnathamby acquired the 10,771 hectare site for less than $8 million.

Sinnathamby happily admits the deal went against the better judgement of his business partner, who shared the market’s view that the land was unviable for residential development. His wife even broke down in tears at seeing the land, which Sinnathamby agrees was “desolate” when be bought it.

“Not one person believe in the project at all. Between the business groups, the councils, the state government and the federal government, not one person believed.”

The path to turning that parcel of land into the Greater Springfield was one Sinnathamby describes as “all-out war”.

Not only did Sinnathamby have to tread the property developer’s eternal tightrope of funding the staged development, but he also had to negotiate a planning process so involved that it required legislation to be passed by the Queensland parliament. Sinnathamby also had to contend with a highly-critical report on ABC Television’s 7:30 Report which raised allegations (subsequently found to be baseless) about political donations made by Sinnathamby.

He then had to endure a “second visit to hell” in 1999.

“Within six years of starting, the economy collapsed again,” Sinnathamby says. “We owed the banks $9 million, we hadn’t paid interest in 15 months and then the bank gave us 30 days to pay back the loan.”

A deal with Delfin eventually saved the project, but only after two months where collapse seemed inevitable.

“That was my second visit to hell. It’s a difficult journey. You just have to have the stamina and the strength of mind.”

Greater Springfield is now home to more than 23,000 residents, boasts its own education and health precincts and is due to be connected to Brisbane by rail next year.

Despite his success, Simmathamby says he continues to get up at 4am every morning and credits a very supportive wife and family for his success.

“They know I’m mad,” he laughs, before correcting himself.

“Well, not mad. Half mad.”

Maybe, like most great entrepreneurs, Sinnathamby is a bit mad. But it’s a madness that’s he channelled into energy and positivity – and a great big fortune.

3_dsc_2878_web_mm-135x100.jpg

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
From rag to rich back to rag then rich again ... you get it anyway.

As it is with many Asians, their lives are nothing but a constant relentless pursuit of monetary wealth and status.

There is more to life than that.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As it is with many Asians, their lives are nothing but a constant relentless pursuit of monetary wealth and status.

To each his/her own.

In Singapore, the weather put me off.

Moreover, I am always time poor, and rushing here and there, even during overseas vacations.

Then, there is the annoying pager and mobile phone.

In Australia, I strive to be rich enough so that I have time to indulge in things I like to do.

I no longer seek full-time work, and will know that financially, I am OK.

At this stage of my life, I seek out people who believe that less is more. Healthy living, healthy mind, healthy food.

Japanese women take care of themselves & their family well, so I married one. :smile:

The weather is always nice at this time of the year, so I spent time outdoor. This is priceless compared to living in an air-con room.

But I do not want be lost in comfort.

I know too many comfortable people who spent their time in stupid pursuit, voting to save the whales, but forgetting to save themselves.

:smile:

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Noticed many $tatus Asians usually Chinese & Indian origins. The Pinoys are usually more fun people who will add colours to Singapore. In fact, the most laid back people are found north and south of Singapore. :biggrin:

I saw main street Americans working long hours and make big sacrifices for their filthy rich rent-seeking employers - pity them.

Wish I can return to France for another long visit and absorb the beauty of their way of living. Not sure if I can take a few weeks off again to live in the Old Town of Nice, an inspiration of Goldilocks living, even if I made and ate socca daily for almost 2 weeks.

No need Asian cooking :smile:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Good, so I migrated to Australia for a better life ... what is that better life?

What is the sense of life?

What do we really cherish in life?

How do we want to use our precious time on earth? And Why?

Hasn't the market done its job?

Have we grown wealthy enough by now?

The market may be the economic incarnation of personal liberty, but that it inevitably leads to severe social injustice.

Harvard philosopher Michael Sandel (What Money Can't Buy : The Moral Limits of Markets, Allen Lane, £20)

The market teaches people always to strive for more,
... to think permanently in terms of supply and demand,
... ... to attach a price to everything.

But there are things that money just shouldn't buy.

They complain that the market corrupts our souls, and without noticing we have been turned into its slaves.

But salvation is near if only we heed the call and consider the stick to be a carrot.

We shouldn't use monetary rewards without taking secondary effects into consideration. If you pay a child to read a book, he may read the book all right, but he will always view reading as a chore. Does this remind you of PAP MPs? It is a chore to serve the people, there is no passion.

For those who study economics, where is the invisible hand when we need it?

Think about the university reforms everywhere demanding that courses be faster and more efficient, in the interest of immediate employability. Employers now find that graduates lack maturity. The reason is that some things are difficult to measure in monetary terms and thus escape our attention, such as the lessons for life that students should have learnt at college

Personally, I think this should read as what money shouldn’t buy, rather than what it can’t buy.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f1IDjAAOwCs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

NoelVermillion

Alfrescian
Loyal
It will be nice if one lives his life like an Italian. Enjoying his lunch at his own time, with spare time used to chase skirts and still manage to produce quality products. :biggrin:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It will be nice if one lives his life like an Italian. Enjoying his lunch at his own time, with spare time used to chase skirts and still manage to produce quality products. :biggrin:

Italians makes happy products, quality ok. :cool:
There is a quote - Italian will make you a slower clock, if it makes you happy that you have more time.

Last edited:

NoelVermillion

Alfrescian
Loyal
Italians makes happy products, quality ok. :cool:
There is a quote - Italian will make you a slower clock, if it makes you happy that you have more time.

My point is, that sometimes Singaporeans need to slow down. I realise that the main issue of Singaporeans is when they work, they tend to do other stuff. As a result, they have to OT just to finish a task that could have been finished in a few hours.

My point on the Italians were tad exaggerated but still, they know how to enjoy their lives. Only thing I can't stand about them is that they are very rude to foreigners, even the nice foreigners.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My point is, that sometimes Singaporeans need to slow down. I realise that the main issue of Singaporeans is when they work, they tend to do other stuff. As a result, they have to OT just to finish a task that could have been finished in a few hours.

My point on the Italians were tad exaggerated but still, they know how to enjoy their lives. Only thing I can't stand about them is that they are very rude to foreigners, even the nice foreigners.

Yes. I agree with you about slowing down and smelling the flowers.

The Italians only get into economic trouble after they started using the Euro. Before that, they are making acceptable products, with passion. They were able to sell their products using Lira (cheap). But with inflated Euro, they cannot compete with German innovation and quality.

Italians still have a very strong industry despite losing to Germany and China.

An Italian girl ever tell me that she cannot marry me because her family will kill her if she did. :biggrin: They are still very traditional, complaining that my Singaporean dinner do not come with bread. They need bread!
So, I made Roti John on their next visit, complete with tomatoes.

Yes, they have passion in food, in life and in family. I used to compete with the grandmothers for train seats. They tried to get in from the windows. :biggrin:

Try a few Italian words and you may find the Italians not so rude after all. They live life with passion :smile:

Last edited:

NoelVermillion

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. I agree with you about slowing down and smelling the flowers.

The Italians only get into economic trouble after they started using the Euro. Before that, they are making acceptable products, with passion. They were able to sell their products using Lira (cheap). But with inflated Euro, they cannot compete with German innovation and quality.

Italians still have a very strong industry despite losing to Germany and China.

An Italian girl ever tell me that she cannot marry me because her family will kill her if she did. :biggrin: They are still very traditional, complaining that my Singaporean dinner do not come with bread. They need bread!
So, I made Roti John on their next visit, complete with tomatoes.

Yes, they have passion in food, in life and in family. I used to compete with the grandmothers for train seats. They tried to get in from the windows. :biggrin:

Try a few Italian words and you may find the Italians not so rude after all. They live life with passion :smile:

LOL. There are many Italians in Oz so it is expected and interesting to see your experiences with them. After all, Italian is the second most spoken minority language in Oz.

The Italians were only in deep economic shit because of the previous incompetent governance during the 70s and 80s, which were coincidentally, the turbulent times of Italy where the mafia struck much fear into the ordinary hearts. In the past of Napoleon, the Italians were looked down and seen as scums of Europe. Italy was really backwards even in the 1970s, even my father who had visited certain European cities commented that Rome was still behind the likes of Berlin or Paris. Have to agree with the passion part, just look at the Lamborghini, Ferrari and Maserati. They are designed in such a splendid fashion that one is tempted to shout "mamma mia!"

Am not exactly sure about the industrial area so I shan't comment.

Italian people are quite open about their feelings. If they are happy, they are show it. If they are pissed, they just swear at you. Which explains why many Singaporeans do not hold Italians with high regard. No holds barred. The typical Anglo perception of them is that they are all mafiasos and they like to cuss and swear. Haven't tested whether the rumour of them being one of the most excellent love-makers is true or false.

Italian women make good wives, they are really protective of their children. Italy has a great combination of nice weather and healthy but tasty food, which explains why most of their people are quite good-looking. My female friend even commented that she fell in love with an Italian policeman, something you won't hear from her mouth regarding our SPF.

Learning Italian on my own, but am frustrated at the lack of school support here in Singapore. The dedicated Italian school in Beach Road does not even seem decent enough. I guess, in SG with the herd mentality, more emphasis is placed on French, German and Korean. So I have to stick to my own Italian dictionary and grammar book which I bought on my own.

The lingo part applies to everybody. Speak Japanese to a Japanese, Korean to a Korean, German to a German and they will treat you much better.

Last edited:

NoelVermillion

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporeans really don't know how to slow down and smell the roses. The men work their asses of just to earn money to buy a condo, car, credit card and earn more cash. All these for? Impress a typical Singapore princess, who is going to enslave them for their marriage life. No wonder, some of my male friends enjoy going back to ICT and stay-in.

And also, Singapore is getting more aggressive. Seldom you hear people getting so worked up and punching people in the 90s, but seems to be the 'in' thing now in the 21st century.

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A lot of good things are priceless. Eg smelling the roses.

I think we live in an age where with modern technology, we should be able to enjoy life even more. Eg The invention of computers suppose to help humans reduce work, not make us work longer hours.

In the past, Ash007 and I wrote about the double income Trap, why the Middle-Class are going broke despite two income.

Also related, we are putting too much emphasis on Low Price.
An American who moved to Australia ever told me, we will never be happy if we put a price on everything. It just cheapen everything. He is a first American I know who gets put off by Price Obsession.
He explains further about how the average American paycheck has not increase (after weighing inflation) since the 1970s, because when everyone want low price, it generates a downward cost pressure that ultimately make its way into our pay or profits.

NoelVermillion

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporeans do not know how to take things easy. Life is much more than about owning assets and wealth. A typical conversation with relatives during CNY is always about comparisons of wealth and stays, which defeats the original purpose of CNY. From young, they have been drilled in primary schools and secondary schools that they have to score good grades and outsmart the rest, without being told to take a respite. These people are now your typical government scholars holding posts in high-level government jobs, applying the same thing that they have been taught since young, hence whenever they craft policies or ideas, it is always on their own self-interest only. They feel the need to drive European cars to impress the women and hook the type of shallow women who sees things on the surface. Entrapped in a vicious cycle of their marriage life, many men choose to divorce, with much to lose thanks to the WC, while their ex-wives find another golden turtle.

Although being of Chinese ethnicity, I do feel that the Chinese have a bigot mindset of wealth and status. They believe that so long you possess more money, it is perfectly alright to bully those who are of lower status than themselves. You see comments that some drivers think its perfectly fine to tailgate and horn at cyclists, spray their wiper fluid on motorcyclists just because they own a car, so they feel that they are 'king' and entitled to such actions. Friendships between the Chinese is most of the time, based on benefits and usefulness.

An educated PRC woman that I know of, who had studied in US, have told me that the reason why many Chinese women are going 'Pinkerton' is because they are sick of Chinese men who are only obsessed with money and status, even in their convos, which makes them very aloof, condescending and boring. The Caucasians appeal to them as they take things easy, not as superficial (but still a level of it) and able to make interesting and humorous banter.

With such "I have more money than you, so you should listen to me" bigot mindset, no wonder the PRC is not welcomed on an international level. Ask anybody in HK, Macau, TW, JPN or SK, the majority of them treats the Chinese with a disdain and loath.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LOL. There are many Italians in Oz so it is expected and interesting to see your experiences with them. After all, Italian is the second most spoken minority language in Oz.

Am not exactly sure about the industrial area so I shan't comment.

Italian people are quite open about their feelings. If they are happy, they are show it. If they are pissed, they just swear at you. Which explains why many Singaporeans do not hold Italians with high regard. No holds barred. The typical Anglo perception of them is that they are all mafiasos and they like to cuss and swear. Haven't tested whether the rumour of them being one of the most excellent love-makers is true or false.

Italian women make good wives, they are really protective of their children. Italy has a great combination of nice weather and healthy but tasty food, which explains why most of their people are quite good-looking. My female friend even commented that she fell in love with an Italian policeman, something you won't hear from her mouth regarding our SPF.

Learning Italian on my own,

Italians had its economic miracle in post WW2 until the 1960s. After that, they had political problems which is not surprised that they are backward in the 1970s, similar to Greece & Spain at that time - except Italy was not under dictatorship.

Italians also made a name for themselves in producing white goods and machinery. Not surprising, the North is where the Industries are, eg Milan.

The south is much poorer.

My Italian lady friend will never marry an Italian man. Why, she saw her elder sister suffering under the spoilt Italian "mama-boy" husband. First, her sister has to go to the in-law place twice a week to learn cooking that her husband like.
Once, the mother-in-law came over to her son's house and saw her precious son ironing his own clothes. That is a big no no. Her sister received a BIG SCOLDING for not ironing the clothes.

That is what I meant by traditional. I like Italian women, nice skin colour, dark hair, nice figures and really passionate. :smile: But the bad points are that they spent too much time dressing up and want to be supermodels. Avoid the gypsies.

With such "I have more money than you, so you should listen to me" bigot mindset, no wonder the PRC is not welcomed on an international level. Ask anybody in HK, Macau, TW, JPN or SK, the majority of them treats the Chinese with a disdain and loath.

People like PRC money but not their behaviour. The Chinese govt printed all the goods on good manners but the PRC think their money can buy bad behaviour.

Unfortunately, no. The Russians are worse. They bribe to cut queue when escaping from a sinking cruiseship/ visit interesting places and Russian women wear like sluts.

Last edited:

NoelVermillion

Alfrescian
Loyal
The mafia problems really made a huge impact on the Italian govt back then. Economic strengthening was sacrificed as the mafia was too huge to ignore and posing a serious threat to the govt. In the past, they even had the resources to rig car-bombs under the cars of prosecutors and got them killed so that the case cannot proceed. Italy has one of the most terrible justice protection scheme, not many will dare to be prosecutors or even detectives in that type of nation.

The South is much poorer but they are much warmer towards the migrants. A simple but cliched philosophy of "when one is poorer, he tends to be more humble". Speaking of that, I do wish I can buy a simple house there with the beautiful scenery of Tuscany.

Was not too sure about Italian women but glad to hear that they somewhat resemble the typical Asian wife, catering to the husband's needs before self. I just feel the women are somehow more aggressive and can be fierce towards the husband when needed. I stand corrected as I have yet to meet any Italians in Singapore, they are a rare kind compared to the Americans and Aussies.

I don't think anybody like the gypsies except themselves. :biggrin:

For this year alone, I believe that the PRC has done a very terrible diplomatic job. From their exchanges, you can really sense the "i am wrong but my money is bigger than yours" especially with the South China Sea incidents with Philippines and Vietnam, and also the Senkaku row with Japan. It is a waste actually. Many in Asia were hoping that the rise of China will lead to a greater balance against the US but now most nations think that the Chinese are even worse than the hypocritical and sly Americans. Furthermore, their growth has already stopped and there may be a recession looming over them soon. The labour cost and their behaviour has caused many Japanese companies (which ironically, the PRC actually relies much on them to provide jobs) to start pulling out of China and moving into Vietnam or Myanmar. In the end, the bigger loser will be China, since foreign business companies come and go.

If the PRC has not showed such appalling behaviour openly, things might be different and they may even score a coup by winning over the whole Asean bloc and removing much suspicions from South Korea and Japan. Hell, even the Hong Kongers will be more than happy to proclaim they are part of China and Taiwan may even consider becoming the SAR of PRC. The US might have lost much influence from Asia but now, it is gaining some allies in the form of Vietnam, who can never forgive the Americans but find the Chinese a much bigger threat now.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
An educated PRC woman that I know of, who had studied in US, have told me that the reason why many Chinese women are going 'Pinkerton' is because they are sick of Chinese men who are only obsessed with money and status, even in their convos, which makes them very aloof, condescending and boring. The Caucasians appeal to them as they take things easy, not as superficial (but still a level of it) and able to make interesting and humorous banter.

You know what is ironic about this? The fact that it's the prc women especially the prc women that are the ones demanding very rich husbands. Comeon you can tell even when you see very old and ugly prc women asking for a singapore male partner here and gives all sorts of conditions like he needs to earn this much amount of money etc.

Yet somehow they can turn it around and blame the men for it? The way they are putting it it's as if prc women aren't materialistic at all and only the men are. It was the same as that article on malays having a higher birthrate compared to the chinese and the blame was like solely placed unto the men nope not the women's fault.