• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious The "All Weather" Portfolio by Ray Dalio (damn rich hedge fund manager)

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I throw this article out for discussion purposes ... is it worth following? ...

About a year and a half ago I wrote an article analyzing the ‘All-Weather’ portfolio developed by hedge fund manager Ray Dalio at the request of Tony Robbins. This multi-asset strategy was put together as a simple, but effective, way for everyday investors to own a combination of stocks, bonds and commodities. The whole point of this was to maximize diversification, minimize volatility, and enhance long-term returns.
One of the easiest ways for investors to implement the All-weather portfolio is with exchange-traded funds (ETFs). Just five holdings will provide a highly diverse, low-cost, and easy-to-track account. My previous example utilized the following ETFs with the allocation guidelines developed by Mr. Dalio:
  • 30% - Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF (VTI)
  • 40% - iShares 20+ Year Treasury ETF (TLT)
  • 15% - iShares 7-10 Year Treasury ETF (IEF)
  • 7.50% - SPDR Gold Shares ETF (GLD)
  • 7.50% - PowerShares DB Commodity Index Tracking Fund (DBC)
Back in late-2016, this portfolio was on a tremendous hot streak as every single component achieved unusually strong returns. It was unusual based on the supposition that the asset classes were specifically chosen for their non-correlated nature. Pairing inflationary and deflationary assets ultimately helps reduce portfolio fluctuations, which increases the ability for investors to stick with the strategy.

It’s common knowledge that behavioral choices, more so than investment choices, are the reasons that investors fail to achieve their goals or underperform a benchmark. This portfolio style requires very little attention other than annual or semi-annual rebalancing.
Flash forward nearly eighteen months, and it is interesting to note that the returns of the All-weather portfolio have hit a stumbling point. From 9/26/16 through 3/17/18, the portfolio has produced a net gain (with dividends included) of +5.56%. For comparison purposes, the iShares Growth Allocation ETF (AOR) has gained +16.50% over that same time frame.
The key driver of this underperformance is a risk that I pointed to in the original article. Namely that the overweight allocation to long-duration Treasury bonds would be a drag on performance if interest rates were to rise, and they did. TLT and IEF have fallen -9.38% and -5.78% respectively during this period. Those two funds represent 55% of the total portfolio and as such are going to be responsible for a significant portion of the total return.

032018df.png

Furthermore, there has been little in comparative offset from the commodity side of the portfolio. GLD has mostly meandered sideways with a total return of -2.39%, while DBC has managed to squeak out a modest gain of +14.21%.
The real winner over this stretch has been VTI, which jumped +30.61%. The uptrend in stocks has been the only inflationary aspect of the portfolio that has allowed it to appreciate by any meaningful measure.
Some investors may be immediately put off by the lackluster returns of this strategy in the most recent past. However, it’s worth remembering that the whole point of this model is to produce substantial gains over long periods. That means enduring short flights of underperformance with the expectation that future returns will ultimately improve.
Investors that continually chase performance in only the top asset classes will find themselves jumping in at the tail end of every cycle. This likely reduces real returns and the confidence in a sound investment strategy using global markets.
The Bottom Line
There are plenty of holes that can be shot in the all-weather portfolio when viewed through a critical lens. It’s too bond-heavy, it’s overly diversified, there is no international allocation, etc...
The flip side is that it contains many sound investment principles that are tough to beat for those with an extended time horizon and who are more risk adverse. It’s worth remembering that the fortitude to stick with a consistent investment strategy through thick and thin is one of the hallmarks of a successful investor.

https://www.nasdaq.com/article/why-the-allweather-portfolio-has-stumbled-cm937170

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro ah bro, other than me, no one else is bumping your boring stock thread! Get to the point please! :laugh:

You go and bro your own ass. I don't need or want useless SOBs like you to bump my stock thread when I can do it on my own. It is only boring to homeless and penniless trailer park trash like you :FU:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I throw this article out for discussion purposes ... is it worth following? ...

About a year and a half ago I wrote an article analyzing the ‘All-Weather’ portfolio developed by hedge fund manager Ray Dalio at the request of Tony Robbins. This multi-asset strategy was put together as a simple, but effective, way for everyday investors to own a combination of stocks, bonds and commodities. The whole point of this was to maximize diversification, minimize volatility, and enhance long-term returns.
One of the easiest ways for investors to implement the All-weather portfolio is with exchange-traded funds (ETFs). Just five holdings will provide a highly diverse, low-cost, and easy-to-track account. My previous example utilized the following ETFs with the allocation guidelines developed by Mr. Dalio:
  • 30% - Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF (VTI)
  • 40% - iShares 20+ Year Treasury ETF (TLT)
  • 15% - iShares 7-10 Year Treasury ETF (IEF)
  • 7.50% - SPDR Gold Shares ETF (GLD)
  • 7.50% - PowerShares DB Commodity Index Tracking Fund (DBC)
Back in late-2016, this portfolio was on a tremendous hot streak as every single component achieved unusually strong returns. It was unusual based on the supposition that the asset classes were specifically chosen for their non-correlated nature. Pairing inflationary and deflationary assets ultimately helps reduce portfolio fluctuations, which increases the ability for investors to stick with the strategy.

It’s common knowledge that behavioral choices, more so than investment choices, are the reasons that investors fail to achieve their goals or underperform a benchmark. This portfolio style requires very little attention other than annual or semi-annual rebalancing.
Flash forward nearly eighteen months, and it is interesting to note that the returns of the All-weather portfolio have hit a stumbling point. From 9/26/16 through 3/17/18, the portfolio has produced a net gain (with dividends included) of +5.56%. For comparison purposes, the iShares Growth Allocation ETF (AOR) has gained +16.50% over that same time frame.
The key driver of this underperformance is a risk that I pointed to in the original article. Namely that the overweight allocation to long-duration Treasury bonds would be a drag on performance if interest rates were to rise, and they did. TLT and IEF have fallen -9.38% and -5.78% respectively during this period. Those two funds represent 55% of the total portfolio and as such are going to be responsible for a significant portion of the total return.

032018df.png

Furthermore, there has been little in comparative offset from the commodity side of the portfolio. GLD has mostly meandered sideways with a total return of -2.39%, while DBC has managed to squeak out a modest gain of +14.21%.
The real winner over this stretch has been VTI, which jumped +30.61%. The uptrend in stocks has been the only inflationary aspect of the portfolio that has allowed it to appreciate by any meaningful measure.
Some investors may be immediately put off by the lackluster returns of this strategy in the most recent past. However, it’s worth remembering that the whole point of this model is to produce substantial gains over long periods. That means enduring short flights of underperformance with the expectation that future returns will ultimately improve.
Investors that continually chase performance in only the top asset classes will find themselves jumping in at the tail end of every cycle. This likely reduces real returns and the confidence in a sound investment strategy using global markets.
The Bottom Line
There are plenty of holes that can be shot in the all-weather portfolio when viewed through a critical lens. It’s too bond-heavy, it’s overly diversified, there is no international allocation, etc...
The flip side is that it contains many sound investment principles that are tough to beat for those with an extended time horizon and who are more risk adverse. It’s worth remembering that the fortitude to stick with a consistent investment strategy through thick and thin is one of the hallmarks of a successful investor.

https://www.nasdaq.com/article/why-the-allweather-portfolio-has-stumbled-cm937170

Have you backtested this over 30 years? I prefer global diversification. If the whole world collapses, then my portfolio sinks. If kiasi, then allocate 20 percent of your portfolio to Dalio's portfolio.