• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Thailand - 63 People Has Died From The Cold Spells In Thailand

cheesecake

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Death toll mounts as cold spell continues

Published: 23 Jan 2014 at 12.44

The unusually long cold spell across the North, Northeast and Central regions has killed 63 people in the past three months and Bangkok has suffered its coldest night in three decades. Sophon Mekthon,...

Please credit and share this article with others using this link:http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/391073/unusual-3-month-cold-spell-in-thailand-claims-63-lives. View our policies at http://goo.gl/9HgTd and http://goo.gl/ou6Ip. © Post Publishing PCL. All rights reserved.

Faidenk

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's just wonderful to be in Phnom Penh now. A cool 27C in the day, dropping down to 16C in the early morning. If you're on a tuk tuk or a bike, you hit pockets of cold air even when the sun is out, at night it's freezing. The water is too cold for me to shower now and I have resort to bathing with hot water, something I have not done since last year end. The only downside is the dryness which makes my skin itch, but this is easily remedied with a generous application of body lotion from my vast collection from various hotels.

I dread the coming change of season, 40C and 90%+ humidity, the merciless sun biting into the exposed skin. You have to live with changing your clothes 2 to 3 times a day, BO (nothing like Nivea), damp underwear and the resulting fungal infection around the waist, smelly socks, worse, Hong Kong foot which can only rid of with a tube of 5,000 Riel (USD1.25) anti-fungal cream. Going to air-conditioned cafes, restaurants, shopping malls doesn't offer much relief. Most establishments, other than foreign-run (though not all), turn their air-con way high to shave the high electricity bills.

The dry season is also a season of blackouts. Other than a few areas in Phnom Penh where the elites live, every district experience some degree of power cuts lasting from 1 to 5 times, from 1 to 5 hours daily. The government have been promising solutions 'next year', for, let's see, the past decade or so. Solutions include a 1.8gW coal-fired power plant that was planned in the southeast bordering Thailand, but it seems the Thai partner has pulled out of the deal.

There are hydro-dams on the drawing board but everyone knows hydro-dams are not efficient during the dry season when there's no rain, duh. However this does not deter donor countries donating a billion or 2 to build the dams. Everyone knows large tracts of land need to be cleared and preferably land that are heavily forested and sparsely populated. Somewhere stipulated in the contract is the clause the main contractor has to be from the donor country, and has to be responsible for the clearing process and the disposal of the debris. But everyone knows that the 'debris' can be sold in excess of $4,000 per cubic meter. But the good thing is, at least someone's making money for the good of all.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
15.6 degrees very cold meh? if one feels cold, wear more layers.

This is cold:

Harbin__MG_5698.jpg

Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If this happens in India, whole country die. Seen ah Neh shivering in office even after air on is turn to 30.

That's ironic, because ah nehs generally have a thicker layer of body hair, you would think that helps them to keep warm.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The temp. This morning is 18. Was around 14 in the early morning. This never mind, guess the humidity? 58%!

the cold still ok, the dryness and wind is the .one that kills. Lastest update from Udon is 10-11 in the night.

cheesecake

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
One thing about Thais....they can't take the cold. Even aircon. I've noticed Malays are the same.

It depends where they lived. I have been in the mountains in Malaysia with Malay guides during Puasa month. They bathe in the mornings at 4.30 am in the river before prayers and it is fucking cold I tell you.