• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Thai Pilots Kicked Two High SES Passengers Out Of First Class Seats For Fellow Off-Duty Thai Pilots!

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well then you haven't heard about new pilots in the USA being eligible for food subsidy stamps then. They pay so much for their training but their pay is so mediocre that they are probably eating last night's leftovers. That's why many of them are moving to Asia where there is demand in the field of aviation for engineers and pilots. And the pay is way better than back home.
I am not in touch with the industry but I read that Asia or rather China alone already need many new pilots for their travelling boom. Since China pay their movie star so well, I believe their pilot pay should be decent indeed.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am not in touch with the industry but I read that Asia or rather China alone already need many new pilots for their travelling boom. Since China pay their movie star so well, I believe their pilot pay should be decent indeed.

The demand for pilots in in Asia, particularly China. Emirates is experiencing pilot shortage as well.

I bet India is churing out lots of pilots to fill that demand. Just remember, the captain of the crashed Lion Air was a 31-year old Indian. Please check who are the pilots on your next flight before you agree to board.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
And the fully subsidized ones it are never easy to get in so many pilots actually pay to achieve their dreams and from what I know many of my seniors who now fly for airlines now went to the US to train as it is cheaper.
Is it really that difficult to get in now? My nephew or rather my ex husband nephew got into the program. I remember years ago when he was young I used to promote to him to become a pilot. I told him it’s the most senang job and high pay and no need degree and requirements already relaxed with even wearing spectacles also no problem.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
The demand for pilots in in Asia, particularly China. Emirates is experiencing pilot shortage as well.

I bet India is churing out lots of pilots to fill that demand. Just remember, the captain of the crashed Lion Air was a 31-year old Indian. Please check who are the pilots on your next flight before you agree to board.
Omg so not just main carrier will do next time. Thanks for the tip!

Gary Ho

Alfrescian
Loyal

With all respects to the victims of the flight, please do not make assumptions about the competency of the flight crew as there is no evidence pointing towards pilot error.

Based on my experience and knowledge it would be a maintenance procedure to the flight instrument that was not correctly conducted that caused the crash.

The flight before, another captain noticed unreliable airspeed and passed the controls to his first officer to do the flying. This could be due to improper maintenance procedures of the speed indicator and likely a problem with the exterior speed indicator tube. According to the Speed-Altitude graph of the flight, it showed a rather eratic altitude path which was an unusual fluctuation. In the last 2 minutes, the aircraft climbed sharply and then descended very fast at a rate of over 30000ft/min whereas in usual circumstances such as descent for landing it is no more than 2000ft/min. It is highly likely the crash was caused by the faulty speed indicators sending wrong speed readings to the autothrottle causing it to stall and then drop out of the sky.

The captain had spent 4 months in Emirates flight school which is nothing out of the ordinary as that is how long type rating trainings take. That is where the media speculated that he was kicked out of the school which is just rubbish. However what was missing from his LinkedIn was his flight training history up till obtaining his ATPL.

Attachments

• IMG-20181029-WA0022.jpg
    IMG-20181029-WA0022.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

Gary Ho

Alfrescian
Loyal
It was the Learjet simulator in Australia. I was following around my Singaporean colleague based there and so I tried the simulator for a few minutes, together with a pilot too. I do not know what rate of descent but I was the one that pulled out the landing gear. And it didn’t crash!
Learjets are smaller privately owned aircraft that handles differently from big birds. Even an A320 would feel different due to the larger mass of the aircraft.

Is it really that difficult to get in now? My nephew or rather my ex husband nephew got into the program. I remember years ago when he was young I used to promote to him to become a pilot. I told him it’s the most senang job and high pay and no need degree and requirements already relaxed with even wearing spectacles also no problem.

Actually nowadays if you're O Level then there definitely will be some challenge to become a pilot. But if you get a Diploma for example Diploma in Aviation Management then life would be easier. But the training part one has to be prepared to put in all his or her effort into it. Many chapters to cover such as air law and navigation systems. The plane that student pilots fly don't usually have modern flight systems and everything has to be done manually including flying as they usually do not come with autopilot.

Once you pass your exams and move onto the airlines your nightmare isn't over. Other than flying you have to constantly revise your theory as your airline pilot license is only valid for 6 months after which you'll have to take both theory and practical exams in the simulator to retain your license.

There is also luck involved to being an airline pilot. Let's say you join SIA and you get posted to the regional fleet which consists of the A330-300(to be retired soon) and the new B787-10 (Each pilot can only fly one aircraft type at any time). In the regional fleet you may be doing multiple flights in a day plying around the region such as KL, BKK, Jakarta and so on. So in a day you may be in the air for more than 10 hours and do around 6 flights in total. But when you're given break days you're likely in SG so you can meet your friends and spend time with family etc.

If you get posted to the long haul fleet (B777-300ER, A380-800 and A350-900) you probably only do one flight a day and get a few days rest before coming home. And in the few days most of the time is recovering from the jetlag and then makan and abit of shopping.

Each deployment has it's own pros and cons.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Learjets are smaller privately owned aircraft that handles differently from big birds. Even an A320 would feel different due to the larger mass of the aircraft.

Actually nowadays if you're O Level then there definitely will be some challenge to become a pilot. But if you get a Diploma for example Diploma in Aviation Management then life would be easier. But the training part one has to be prepared to put in all his or her effort into it. Many chapters to cover such as air law and navigation systems. The plane that student pilots fly don't usually have modern flight systems and everything has to be done manually including flying as they usually do not come with autopilot.

Once you pass your exams and move onto the airlines your nightmare isn't over. Other than flying you have to constantly revise your theory as your airline pilot license is only valid for 6 months after which you'll have to take both theory and practical exams in the simulator to retain your license.

There is also luck involved to being an airline pilot. Let's say you join SIA and you get posted to the regional fleet which consists of the A330-300(to be retired soon) and the new B787-10 (Each pilot can only fly one aircraft type at any time). In the regional fleet you may be doing multiple flights in a day plying around the region such as KL, BKK, Jakarta and so on. So in a day you may be in the air for more than 10 hours and do around 6 flights in total. But when you're given break days you're likely in SG so you can meet your friends and spend time with family etc.

If you get posted to the long haul fleet (B777-300ER, A380-800 and A350-900) you probably only do one flight a day and get a few days rest before coming home. And in the few days most of the time is recovering from the jetlag and then makan and abit of shopping.

Each deployment has it's own pros and cons.
From what I heard everyone wants to fly long haul as that’s where the big allowances are. Maybe only the women pilots want to fly short haul due to family reasons.

Gary Ho

Alfrescian
Loyal
From what I heard everyone wants to fly long haul as that’s where the big allowances are. Maybe only the women pilots want to fly short haul due to family reasons.

That's actually quite true as there is additional pay for each day you're away from your home country/ home base. Depends on the airline itself. But the perks is that short haul actually allows you to in some cases earn your flight hours quicker to be promoted as captain earlier than the people in long haul. That's why in budget airlines the First Officers may be promoted in 7-8 years or so compared to 10 years in mainline carriers as budget airlines mainly fly short to medium haul routes with the exception of Scoot which flies long haul with its 787s.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well then you haven't heard about new pilots in the USA being eligible for food subsidy stamps then. They pay so much for their training but their pay is so mediocre that they are probably eating last night's leftovers. That's why many of them are moving to Asia where there is demand in the field of aviation for engineers and pilots. And the pay is way better than back home.
There is a shortage of pilots. They should be easy getting jobs with local or foreign airlines.