• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Terrible Experience with Zest Design & Contruction. Beware!

MFernandez

Alfrescian
Loyal
Zest Design has walked off our project because we refused to pay more money (we have 5% left to pay and he has about 15% to complete).

We also discovered many problems. Badly done plumbing, gaps in the walls, unfinished plastering, incomplete staircase, leaking roof, only 1/3 waterproofing of roof, etc.

We were too trusting. It was easy to be convinced by Victor as he is well spoken, drives a Singapore-plated BMW 5-series, had a ‘pleasant’ & friendly personality. How wrong we were!

Some suggestions when engaging a contractor:
1) Include every small detail in the contract - the smallest things, - wooden railing, dock locks & handle, plumbing, window & not just frame

2) State delivery date in the contract & insist on day rate compensation. Our reno was supposed to take 4 months. It has been 11 months. Contractors take your progress payment, move workers around to another job, etc.

3) Never pay more than 25% upfront. Insist on 20% payment till after completion. We made a mistake of only holding 5% for final payment.

4) He tried to confuse us with multiple different Excel sheets, etc. When we were in dispute, we went through the records & picked up double-billing of the same item, quoting for materials that weren’t actually used, etc.

5) Take your own Measurements - Victor was charging us a larger area than the actual size he did the tiling and plastering. He was also charging us for better and different material then he actually used.

6) Make the contractor put down the deposit with Management office. Apparently common.

7) We got an outside quote for our glass doors requirements as Victor’s was too high. The difference in price between was RM8000!

8) Always double-check that your contractor indeed has the experience and expertise to do what you need safely and correctly.

9) Don’t Rush into it. We were too trusting and too “chin chai” as we were taken in by his ‘pleasant’ and friendly personality.

Good luck!

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sounds like a Singaporean or SPR who cant make it Singapore and went over to Iskandar to set up his renovation firm thinking its easy money.

Manhattan

Alfrescian
Loyal
So in JB they can get away with this kind of work? By just forfeiting 5%?

In sg, I renovated my kitchen recently, I get 3 different quotes using identical scope of work. I gave the work to the cheapest quote, cheaper by 30%. The 'interior designer cum project manager' was a malaysian ah beng, talk and walk like ah beng. But the work was tip top, the tiling neat and straight, cabinet good quality and work done with minimal delays and inconvenience, important as i was still living in it. Cannot ask for more from a ah beng.

Vohkster

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Hope the contractor didn't offer you any fengshui advice while he was at it. There's one particular feng shui expert that you should approach. Apparently he thinks that other projects are failures n he gives quite a good and LONG irrelevant write up on his knowledge.

Bubble

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi

so sorry to hear about the reno problem.It is common problem there in jb and here in Singapore. YOU JUST CAN'T trust ANYONE.
Even those recommended contractor.BEST is to state clearly in contract

I had same but smaller problem 2yrs back,

I checked website 'mothercare' I think. They highly recommended a contractor form JB.He came on time for apt,asked for deposit I pay.Works start late than promised and very very hard to get him,They came and do the job.The result the kitchen cabinet was done quite badly.Old kitchen covers all the flor areas, the new one has 2 inch short,he claims it is not to block the washing machine.As it as at the corner I gave in.

Then the swing door for the plates etc. As it was done properly,the hinges got bent and finally broke.

I was assured 2YEARS warranty but he no longer can be contacted once final payment made. Btwn him and the Singapore contractor it was 2-300$ cheaper.But its not worth it cos I cant seek recourse.

Some may be tempted to say,do not go for the cheaper ones.Well people who paid the highest can also get screwed.Key is hold the last payment or pay less upfront.

Explain to thme your house is always there but they can be anywhere

Bubble

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi

so sorry to hear about the reno problem.It is common problem there in jb and here in Singapore. YOU JUST CAN'T trust ANYONE.
Even those recommended contractor.BEST is to state clearly in contract

I had same but smaller problem 2yrs back,

I checked website 'mothercare' I think. They highly recommended a contractor form JB.He came on time for apt,asked for deposit I pay.Works start late than promised and very very hard to get him,They came and do the job.The result the kitchen cabinet was done quite badly.Old kitchen covers all the flor areas, the new one has 2 inch short,he claims it is not to block the washing machine.As it as at the corner I gave in.

Then the swing door for the plates etc. As it was done properly,the hinges got bent and finally broke.

I was assured 2YEARS warranty but he no longer can be contacted once final payment made. Btwn him and the Singapore contractor it was 2-300$ cheaper.But its not worth it cos I cant seek recourse.

Some may be tempted to say,do not go for the cheaper ones.Well people who paid the highest can also get screwed.Key is hold the last payment or pay less upfront.

Explain to thme your house is always there but they can be anywhere

HHAPPEN TO SEE TIS-

Default Re: Senibong Cove

Hello I just found a good contractor in Johor. After goin through 6 or 7 contractors, I almost given up. The contractors in Johor can ruthless and scrupulous if you are not careful. I recently engaged zest design and construction company. Tel 0189057678. The boss is victor. My house is in adda heights. I got them to build a swimming pool and upper floor extension approx. 1500sft extension.good luck

Relaxman

Alfrescian
Loyal
HHAPPEN TO SEE TIS-

Default Re: Senibong Cove

Hello I just found a good contractor in Johor. After goin through 6 or 7 contractors, I almost given up. The contractors in Johor can ruthless and scrupulous if you are not careful. I recently engaged zest design and construction company. Tel 0189057678. The boss is victor. My house is in adda heights. I got them to build a swimming pool and upper floor extension approx. 1500sft extension.good luck

so, zest design is good or not?

Bubble

Alfrescian
Loyal
so, zest design is good or not?

the best answer is this-its in your hands.

If you dont monitor their work,if you dont press them,if you dont control progressive payment,

they will screw you happily.

Thats why you hear some say good some say horrible.