• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Stop discriminating non-degree holders!

MaxRiley

Alfrescian
Loyal
With the new message from PM Lee during NDR on ASPIRE aimed at changing the mindset of Singaporean employers, I do hope that especially for PMEs employment, people will be assessed by their experience and not paper qualifications.

Do you feel that non-degree holders will be able to get equal opportunities in terms of employment and progression?

This article highlights the issue.

Stop discriminating non-degree holders - Five Stars And a Moon

sochi2014

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually non degree holders get hired much earlier and quicker because they are cheaper compared to Uni Grads. Cheapskates companies mostly hire Polygrads more than Uni and they can do the same jobs as Uni grads.

MaxRiley

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually non degree holders get hired much earlier and quicker because they are cheaper compared to Uni Grads. Cheapskates companies mostly hire Polygrads more than Uni and they can do the same jobs as Uni grads.

U do have a point there. and maybe they can progress faster too, with experience. And given a better work culture and mindset of employers, they can still go up the ranks.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Depends on profession. Some courses in poly does not equip the person with enough knowledge to do the job upon graduation.

With the new message from PM Lee during NDR on ASPIRE aimed at changing the mindset of Singaporean employers, I do hope that especially for PMEs employment, people will be assessed by their experience and not paper qualifications.

Do you feel that non-degree holders will be able to get equal opportunities in terms of employment and progression?

This article highlights the issue.

Stop discriminating non-degree holders - Five Stars And a Moon

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Internet Brigade jobs for diploma holders, Public Relations jobs for foreign talents. People must learn to accept their station in life.

sochi2014

Alfrescian
Loyal
Depends on profession. Some courses in poly does not equip the person with enough knowledge to do the job upon graduation.

not enough education, get educated loh! It doesn't mean they cannot go and further their studies with so many options now available!

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It also depends on where you go to. In some workplaces, poly diploma grads, uni degree grads, and grad school masters grads co-exist wonderfully.

Of course, in the shittier, stingier companies, the diploma grads get bullied and so a lot of 'shit work'. NTUC the fake union is in cahoots with employers, so nothing is done.

The worst discrimination is done in civil service... it's a caste system of paper qualifications in those places. Scholars (geniuses such as Lui Tuck Yew) are at the top, then first class honours, then second class upper honours, lower honours, no honours, diploma, A/O level... further and further down the food chain it goes.

Lee Hsien Loong can talk pleasantries and what the ears itch to hear, but action speaks louder than words. For starters, revamp the recruitment process in civil service, put everyone who're doing the same job to be on the same payscale.

But I'm not holding my breath. The PAP govt needs this academic caste system to keep its power structure intact.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal

If poly grads are as good as Uni grads why would a company hire graduates ? Hardly cheapskate.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
If poly grads are as good as Uni grads why would a company hire graduates ? Hardly cheapskate.

if poly grads are as good as Uni grads why are they not paid the same? poly grads cannot get professional recognition as uni grads. simple fact.

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal

civil service should start first by allowing farmers to do scholars job.

Cerebral

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset

Not because poly grads are cheaper, but because nus and ntu students cannot make it. They think they know everything and not willing to learn. I will never interview them. On the contrary, i think SMU students are pretty good.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not because poly grads are cheaper, but because nus and ntu students cannot make it. They think they know everything and not willing to learn. I will never interview them. On the contrary, i think SMU students are pretty good.

of course they know everything,these are the students who have spent 12 years of their lives studying the most(iv seen the work ethic of those elite school students and its insane).....no one can outknow them......compared to students from ite,republic poly,the lower end polys and the normal streams.....these are the students who probably have no clue what they spent ten years of their lives doing....probably shagging in some staircase somewhere or playing dota in a lanshop at parklane 2 weeks before their finals or gallavanting at some poolhall on a wednesday night or networking the school lab computers so they can play more dota at school....

then these sonsabitches come out and start complaining why blah blah degree holders get this and that why civil service give degree holders everything....

u know sometimes i wonder what is the point of sinkie students studying so hard and wasting so much time during their childhood buried in textbooks.....then u see the endless whining and i think goddam at least they have been justified and vindicated abit.

Last edited:

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
Went to seminar, lecturer said degree holders are useless. No drive and no risk taking spirit. Pointed to hotel 81 ah beng boss and said the morons end up working for people like him. Applauded like mad

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Went to seminar, lecturer said degree holders are useless. No drive and no risk taking spirit. Pointed to hotel 81 ah beng boss and said the morons end up working for people like him. Applauded like mad

so who are the idiots that ended up paying for the seminar?

jw5

Loyal
There are reasons why non-degree holders did not get degrees. One of them is simply that they are not book-smart enough.

There are also reasons why there are many non-degree holders who are more successful than degree holders. The reasons include EQ/people skills, drive and determination, luck, opportunity, street-smarts, passion, humility, etc etc.

Trying to argue that one or the other is always better is simply laughable.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
The day I see the MIW tell their children..no need for degree, go do your passion ...etc etc. Thats the day I might believe Pinky!!