• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Soaring Prices Hit Singapore's Poor

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
The government's general view on the GST cut appears to be that it would favour the rich as the rich consume more

Crap!!!:mad: The GST is a broad based tax that affects everyone, if the damn shitty gov is saying only the rich is affected then they should have imposed the tax on luxury items..:mad:

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
On the contrary I think the RIGHT qualifications and the RIGHT skills shall be the KEY to your children and grandchildren's future in the world of globalisation. It is their passport to the RIGHT job in any place in the world of today and tomorrow.

Future degree & skills doesn't mean anything cuz there more competitons coming in from cheap FTs.

:

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
I guess the devil is in the details. I don't think the Government is saying that "only the rich is affected", what they appear to be saying is that a general percentage point cut would probably favour the rich more because they consume more. As for making basic necessities non GSTable, again the Government appears to be saying the samething. That is why the Government keeps harping on about the benefits of targetted specific direct benefits instead. Perhaps it would be helpful if some credible independent economists could come up with a paper to verify the Government's claims.

Crap!!!:mad: The GST is a broad based tax that affects everyone, if the damn shitty gov is saying only the rich is affected then they should have imposed the tax on luxury items..:mad:

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
On the contrary I think the RIGHT qualifications and the RIGHT skills shall be the KEY to your children and grandchildren's future in the world of globalisation. It is their passport to the RIGHT job in any place in the world of today and tomorrow.

That, I agree, is the right approach. I think we should all accept that this government does not and will not give our future generations the benefit of "citizens first". Even a change of govt may not ensure that. The mission is to equip your children with the global tools and mindsets to venture out.

No point whining about the stench when you're living in a kitty litter..:biggrin:

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
To be fair to this Government, it appears to be pumping in huge amounts of money into Education and other related fields. I for one am quite impressed by the NLB. However , the thorny questions appear to be scholarships to FTs and local university places to FTs.

That, I agree, is the right approach. I think we should all accept that this government does not and will not give our future generations the benefit of "citizens first". Even a change of govt may not ensure that. The mission is to equip your children with the global tools and mindsets to venture out.

No point whining about the stench when you're living in a kitty litter..:biggrin:

Hakka Tiow

Alfrescian
Loyal
To be fair to this Government, it appears to be pumping in huge amounts of money into Education and other related fields. I for one am quite impressed by the NLB. However , the thorny questions appear to be scholarships to FTs and local university places to FTs.

I concur on your point about NLB. But then again I have to point out the fact that they are not taking the problem of pilferage seriously. On many occasions when I wanted to re borrow a particularly expensive book or software, I found that it had gone missing from the library's log. Queries to the staff reveal that it was an accepted conclusion that it had been pilfered.
In Tampines Regional Library, I saw only occasionally a single security officer covering the entire building. And I had observed people passing through the electronic gantries and walking away nonchalantly even though the gantries were beeping in alert like crazy. Would NLB perhaps like to share with us the total loss in dollar value per year to pilferage?

starless

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think you all must look at the world as a whole, which country does not have soaring prices now .... :rolleyes:

Who here want to be a PRC citizen and earn what you are earning but in RMB ....

Am sure all of you still going for holidays abroad .... but alot of our counterparts around the world will never ever leave their country their entire lives ....

We cant possibly have the best of everything ... something have to be sacrificed ... wonder anybody here want to have 40% income tax :rolleyes:

twinseeker

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think you all must look at the world as a whole, which country does not have soaring prices now .... We cant possibly have the best of everything ... something have to be sacrificed ... wonder anybody here want to have 40% income tax :rolleyes:
40% income tax in exchange for free education for my kids, free medical consultation when i'm sick, dough from govt assistance when in need of financial assistance, is nothing compared to 20% CPF + pro-rated income tax, with no minimal or no relief many of the necessities in life.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not if you are earning big bucks:wink:

40% income tax in exchange for free education for my kids, free medical consultation when i'm sick, dough from govt assistance when in need of financial assistance, is nothing compared to 20% CPF + pro-rated income tax, with no minimal or no relief many of the necessities in life.

Nomad

Alfrescian
Loyal
agree with Porfirio Rubirosa.
it will not have any effect on those richies.

it is,we the poor who are gravely affected.
life is hard !

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Especially for those retirees with no other sources of income and are relying on their savings. They still need to pay GST which will eat into their purchasing power.

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Who here want to be a PRC citizen and earn what you are earning but in RMB ....

Engineers and accountants are making good money in PRC. Good opportunities to move up the corporate ladder as there are shortages of experience professionals.

This I'm referring to PRC citizens making $20-30k rmb a month. In purchasing power terms, they are better off than their S'poreans counterparts.

Pele

Alfrescian
Loyal
it's sad that i still need to struggle to get the ends meet while my ang-mo friends are beginning to plan for their retirements and enjoying life. i think i am among the poor as i notice generally singaporeans are rich. for instance, admist the high soaring prices, the confirmation of booking of sight-seeing tours are even more than last year.

Bro, you are not alone. Our sinkie govt says you must work until you die.
Ah Loong says many of us will live until 85. :eek: